Battery dead after one week sitting

Search this Thread

Old 02-22-2007, 10:26 AM
2nd Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Battery dead after one week sitting

As my TSX '05 is my weekend car, sometimes it goes one week between starts. Twice over the last 4 months, it was dead in my garage after a week. A jump start from my trusty '96 Explorer's Sears battery cranks my TSX's OEM batter right back up. The dealership stated that the battery was fine after they tested it, and that several makes of cars, including the Acura TSX will completely drain the battery after one week of sitting. Should I except his line and upgrade my battery, or should I demand that he change the battery? Thanks.
Old 02-22-2007, 11:09 AM
Instructor

They said they tested it fine. So they will not replace it for you now. If it happens again, get thme to get you a brand new battery.

In fact, its known that the OEM tsx battery is a POS. If you are afraid of it happening again, better to get your own.
Old 02-22-2007, 11:16 AM
Guinea Pig

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
If you just look at it you can tell it's a POS. It's the size of a 9v battery. Just start it every Wednesday
Old 02-22-2007, 11:45 AM
Burning Brakes

my battery died just the other day on my 05, and its just slightly over a year old, they towed it to the dealer and gave me a new battery, free

edit:
and my car has sat in the garage for a week or so quite a few times because of me being out of town for golf tournaments and such, and i had no problem starting it once i got back, i just think you got an extra POS battery haha
Old 02-22-2007, 12:00 PM
Senior Moderator

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
if you regularly let it go 1 week or more without starting, I'd consider a stronger battery.

I drive my car at least 3 times a day, and I'm still considering a stronger batter.
Old 02-22-2007, 02:50 PM
Instructor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I was just on a vacation for 2 weeks, and my 06 TSX was sitting for 16 straight days, as i dont knw anyone at this new place who is reliable enuf to take care of my baby. But when i got back, and gave it a first try and it just started fine, no signs of any battery weakness....m very happy with mine and its already was one year old....
Old 02-22-2007, 03:12 PM
Instructor

The dealership stated that the battery was fine after they tested it, and that several makes of cars, including the Acura TSX will completely drain the battery after one week of sitting
What a crock of shit. I would write down the name of the person who made that statement and report them to HONDA. They're making false statements on behalf of the corporate. When they get written up or fired for making such statements they'll know not to do it again.

Get the dealership to give you a new battery and keep doing it. You didn't pay $30K for a car just to go buy your own battery at Walmart or Costco. Acura should stand behind their product.
Old 02-22-2007, 04:40 PM
2nd Gear

Thanks for all the suggestions!

I appreciate eveyones help!! I got the guy's name at McDavid Acura that told me that, and I will probably put in my due diligence to check this out. Thanks.
Old 02-23-2007, 06:39 PM
Cruisin'

another alternative would be a battery maintainer, aka trickle charger.

my TSX is stored for the winter in the garage, with a trickle charger plugged to the battery. In the summer, when I don't drive the TSX for several days, I'll plug in the charger. bought mine from Cdn Tire
Old 02-24-2007, 01:36 PM
Advanced

This exact thing has happened to me FOUR times over the past month. After the third time, the dealer put in a new battery (just jumped it the first two times). He called on a Monday to let me know it was ready. I was out of town on business, so swung by to pick it up on Friday when I got back. Well, it wouldn't start! Four days of sitting at the dealer with brand new battery, and the thing was dead!

Needless to say, they did some more investigation, and concluded it was the multiplexor in the under-dash fuse box causing a draw (0.5 Amp) on the batt. Installed a new fuse box/multiplexor, and there was still a draw. After that, it took them a while but they finally traced the actual draw to a broken passenger door lock (supposedly keeping other electronics in the car running??) After fixing that, I picked the car up (a week later), and so far so good.

Bottom line: don't assume it's just the battery. I've seen several posts about the same exact thing (battery completely drained) over on problems/fixes...

Fingers are crossed that this problem doesn't come back this week while my car's parked at the airport...
Old 02-24-2007, 01:43 PM
Pro

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
I took a 2 week trip to the Northeast a few weeks ago, and didn't have any problems at all starting the car once I got back. That dealership has no idea what they're talking about.
Old 02-24-2007, 03:48 PM
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by mgoblu
This exact thing has happened to me FOUR times over the past month. After the third time, the dealer put in a new battery (just jumped it the first two times). He called on a Monday to let me know it was ready. I was out of town on business, so swung by to pick it up on Friday when I got back. Well, it wouldn't start! Four days of sitting at the dealer with brand new battery, and the thing was dead!

Needless to say, they did some more investigation, and concluded it was the multiplexor in the under-dash fuse box causing a draw (0.5 Amp) on the batt. Installed a new fuse box/multiplexor, and there was still a draw. After that, it took them a while but they finally traced the actual draw to a broken passenger door lock (supposedly keeping other electronics in the car running??) After fixing that, I picked the car up (a week later), and so far so good.

Bottom line: don't assume it's just the battery. I've seen several posts about the same exact thing (battery completely drained) over on problems/fixes...

Fingers are crossed that this problem doesn't come back this week while my car's parked at the airport...
either you have really bad luck with batteries or, and im not a real technical guy when it comes to this stuff, theres some kind of wireing problem of some sort maybe, but who knows, im not an expert
Old 02-25-2007, 12:57 AM
Advanced

most batteries have a warranty of about 100 months. If the battery dies, they often work out a deal by a prorated system where you pay some amount and they pay some amount.
Old 02-25-2007, 07:50 AM
Driver/Detailer

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
I've done 5 weeks with my car not started at all.
Old 02-25-2007, 08:53 AM
Instructor

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by mgoblu

this is where i was going to go....

kind of unrelated, but same scenario. a "handful" of 03 civic hybrids had a bad a/c compressor clutch relay that would stay energized all the time, this would drain the battery not immediantly, but it definately would not make it a couple of days without a dead battery.

coming from the dealership side of things, i see this on the occasion. all we can do (as technicians) is test the battery - 99% a good battery is a good battery. generally, were not going to just replace a battery because you said so. that is a warranty item and we need to show/give battery tester codes with the claim (auditing).

if you know the car is sitting for a week at a time, (parasitic draw is not a factor when it sits for a couple of days, but after time, it adds up significantly) i would invest in a Battery Tender, just hook it up and walk away. i keep one on my bike during the winter.
Old 02-28-2007, 12:12 AM
beware of perverts

more problems to come...

Within the first month my car wouldn't start on the first try (2-4x a week), this was a brand new car! I took it to the dealer 2x, finally they said it was the battery so they gave me a new one (you gotta bug them) .

No start issue continues so I call the dealer and even wrote a letter to corporate until they looked into it. They did the whole parasitic draw thing and treated me like an idiot who just didn't know how to start her car.

After having my car at the dealer for a week they said no problems found. However the '04 TSX had similar problems so they changed all my electrical relays, fuse box, and all that other good stuff under the hood. Car is okay now...no start problem has happened 3x in the past 5 months since it was fixed.

Don't take the crappy lines they feed you because if they look closer they will find the problem! Jerks also washed my car afterwards and left all these swirly marks "my poor TSX". My brand new car has lost all its glamour.