Anyone used tire(snow) chains on the TSX yet?

Search this Thread

Old 01-29-2008, 04:19 PM
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Anyone used tire(snow) chains on the TSX yet?

has anyone used or put on snow chains on the TSX yet? does it damage the rims or anything?

if i recall 2.5 years back when I got the car, i remember specifically the salesmen saying do NOT used tire chains at all on the TSX.

can anyone enlighten this?
Old 01-29-2008, 04:41 PM
Advanced

I use cable chains almost every weekend when snowboarding. They work great without any problems. No damage to the rims whatsoever. I got a pair or Security Chain Super Z6, model SZ133. These are the best cable chains for our cars. Extremely easy to put on. I can have both of them on in under 4 minutes.

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B000HZFDPK
Old 01-29-2008, 07:23 PM
B A N N E D

Originally Posted by greendestiny
has anyone used or put on snow chains on the TSX yet? does it damage the rims or anything?

if i recall 2.5 years back when I got the car, i remember specifically the salesmen saying do NOT used tire chains at all on the TSX.

can anyone enlighten this?
The manual says:
Page 308
https://techinfo.honda.com/rjanisis/...606O00306A.pdf

When installing cables, follow the
manufacturer’s instructions, and
mount them as tight as you can.
Make sure they are not contacting
the brake lines or suspension. Drive
slowly with them installed. If you
hear them coming into contact with
the body or chassis, stop and
investigate. Remove them as soon as
you begin driving on cleared roads.
Mount tire chains on your tires when
required by driving conditions or
local laws. Install them only on the
front tires.
Because your vehicle has limited tire
clearance, Acura strongly
recommends using the chains listed
below, made by Security Chain
Company (SCC).
CH2412T
Tire
Old 12-20-2008, 05:10 AM
10th Gear

Thanks for the tips!
Old 12-20-2008, 05:17 AM
10th Gear

which manual is this from.. tsx? what year? thanks!
Old 12-20-2008, 08:24 AM
Administrator

Received 1,003 Likes on 573 Posts
Originally Posted by TSX Tiger
which manual is this from.. tsx? what year? thanks!
Welcome to the forums.

That is from the 2006 TSX Owner's Manual.

It should be the same for all years. If you need an owner's manual for your car, you can click here .
Old 12-20-2008, 01:19 PM
Instructor

u should never use chains on a car. always use cables. chains have to much slop in them and they will break stuff. so u have to stick with cables.
Old 12-23-2008, 12:01 AM
10th Gear

Okay, tried the Laclede Snow Tire Chains Model 1038, they are HUGE and don't fit even my 17" wheels on the smallest setting. They say they fit 215/50- 17 - which is so wrong.

They are cable "chains" not chain-chains. I didn't try to drive with them, because it was so loose, it would have flapped around the wheel well and done damage.

These weren't the brand recommended by TSX manual (cos those were sold out) they are rated "S type" which is for low profile and limited space in the wheel well (Acura rates TSX as S type) and claim to fit my wheel specs 215/50R17. I would have done better risking wrapping my tires in loose chicken wire. Doesn't fit this wheel size, maybe good for a truck or SUV tire. Best Offer takes 'em.
Old 12-23-2008, 12:11 AM
Instructor

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts
got chains on my tires (front ones). They worked so far especially in 14 inches of snow we got here in OR.
Old 12-23-2008, 08:51 PM
10th Gear

Thanks Ron, for the welcome and appreciate the link to manuals. Very helpful.

I can't find my manual. I'm going to look up what is the dash light symbol that is an ! inside a orange triangle, I think it is the ABS brakes because this comes one when I'm slipping and sliding driving up a steep 40 degree icy hill. There seems to be a system manual override, if that light flashes approximately ten times the engine kills and car stalls out. This feature would be useful for those asleep at the wheel or heart attack during highway driving, it could save lives. But when trying to power up an icy hill at slow speeds it is a serious liability.

If anyone is aware of an way to turn this feature off (temp. when the situation warrants) I'd love to get up my driveway. And the auto shutoff is more of a danger than a help.

Thanks!
Old 12-23-2008, 11:22 PM
Advanced

This that the traction control system and the stability system lights. The switch to power it off is just beside the sunroof one. When it is turn off the light should be on all time and not blink. That helps a lot when I need to quick start at a intersection in snow or climb a icy hill.
Old 12-23-2008, 11:37 PM
Racer

Originally Posted by kingkong222
got chains on my tires (front ones). They worked so far especially in 14 inches of snow we got here in OR.
I too got some chains last week for my TSX to battle the snow in Portland. The TSX does great in snow and in ice. It does suck not having a lot of ground clearance though and that is the only thing that limits the TSX with chains on. I turn off my VSA, with a manual sometimes it cuts the fuel too aggressively and you have no torque, and sometimes wheels spin is all you get to power through whatever. Stay safe out there, chains don't make the car handle like it does in clear pavement, you still need to have some smarts about you. If you find yourself with severe under-steer in a corner remember your E-brake can help bring that ass end out, but be careful, you can end up with over-steer and then you have to fix that. Best idea, when it's snowy out go play in a parking lot and see how you and your car react. Best of luck to future winter driving endeavors!!
Old 12-24-2008, 12:04 AM
Instructor

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts
thanks for the driving tip. I don't drive crazy like some of those maniacs out there. It was pretty dicey out there today with the snow turning into ice. My car felt like it was going over speed bumps every 2 yards. The car felt like a merry go round, up and down, up and down. I hope my shock will not blow out by the time this snow storm is over Anyways, I try to take it easy going 20mph. Should not be a problem with my driving. However, in regard to other people's driving technique. I'm not too confident at all for them. Man, I couldn't believe how many people were driving without chains/studded tires today.

Last edited by kingkong222; 12-24-2008 at 12:05 AM. Reason: butt naked
Old 12-24-2008, 04:16 AM
10th Gear

Thank You Shun_Kim! Man, I needed that tip.. I forgot the acroynim. I even found an article that explains what the computer was doing.. *clearing throat* sabotaging my efforts to go up my drive! (Icy and yes there was a bit of skidding. Duh!)

"The VSA system is used to keep your machine on its intended path during emergency maneuvers or in inclement weather by dosing out power against the amount of grip available, as well as applying brakes or taking throttle control away from the driver as needed to correct a skid. The premise here is that the computer knows how to fine tune your inputs and may save you a fender-bender. There was a time when people drove cars [dammit], not computers, and there are those who think that such technology has overstepped its bounds." from auto123[dot]com

I will be trying this first thing tomorrow.. well assuming it doesn't snow more than a few inches. It's snowing again [Seattle]. Thankfully Acura/Honda lets you turn that off. Otherwise I was thinking of getting a pre Stability assist technology car. I detest when the computer over-rides my driving abilities. At least when I'm fighting with it!

Wishing you a fun and safe holiday!
Old 12-24-2008, 04:28 AM
10th Gear

Originally Posted by shmork53
I too got some chains last week for my TSX to battle the snow in Portland. The TSX does great in snow and in ice. It does suck not having a lot of ground clearance though and that is the only thing that limits the TSX with chains on. I turn off my VSA, with a manual sometimes it cuts the fuel too aggressively and you have no torque, and sometimes wheels spin is all you get to power through whatever.
Exactly! Try starting in first gear from a complete stop on a 40 degree incline covered in ice. Heh. Need sum torque brotha.

Back in the motor city I used a dusting of kitty litter and controlled spin to get me anywhere. My first ice storm with this Tiger.
Old 12-28-2008, 02:19 PM
TSX 2005 Manual

Originally Posted by shmork53
I too got some chains last week for my TSX to battle the snow in Portland. The TSX does great in snow and in ice. It does suck not having a lot of ground clearance though and that is the only thing that limits the TSX with chains on. I turn off my VSA, with a manual sometimes it cuts the fuel too aggressively and you have no torque, and sometimes wheels spin is all you get to power through whatever. Stay safe out there, chains don't make the car handle like it does in clear pavement, you still need to have some smarts about you. If you find yourself with severe under-steer in a corner remember your E-brake can help bring that ass end out, but be careful, you can end up with over-steer and then you have to fix that. Best idea, when it's snowy out go play in a parking lot and see how you and your car react. Best of luck to future winter driving endeavors!!
Ok I am not sure about the handling of the TSX on snow...I have a tsx for half a year now...superb handling on dry and rain, but I just got back from a trip up north to Canada...seriously, worst handling of a car on snow of any car I have driven. It could be my tires, but even downshifting on snow gets me sliding. I made some 200 miles on snow packed roads in nothern Canada last week, worst experience in my life. The fact that a big number of Canadian cars have snow tires and were passing me 2x faster might be what pissed me even more ...again my yokohama (with a large groove in the middle of the tire!) might be the reason!..In any case I am getting new tires for sure and buying chains in case i have another trip up north.
Old 12-29-2008, 06:16 PM
Instructor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Must be the tires-- i've been amazed at how well mine has handled the snow and ice the last couple winters! Granted, i can't get through more than about 6-7" of snow (we have a really long driveway, so I could test it ) but considering I don't have winter tires, I've been quite impressed. Though I also tend to put it in 2nd gear (it's an auto) and leave it there... (well, not if I get going fast enough of course...)

I'm tempted to get a set of those cable/chains... We don't really have elevation issues here, but it would be a nice present for my car if ever needed.