Anyone install backup sensors?

Search this Thread

Old 10-13-2008, 03:53 AM
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Anyone install backup sensors?

Hi,

I've been looking into getting a backup sensor system installed on my 05 TSX. However...there obviously is nothing stock and I've been looking into 3rd party solutions. I came across the VR3 VRPS100 system which just requires you to stick an electromagnetic sensor inside your rear bumper without having to drill holes. I searched everywhere, but apart from 3 amazon reviews, no one seems to have any experience using it. Anyone here use a similar solution? ...or has anyone successfully drilled their bumper with good sensor results?
Old 10-13-2008, 04:44 PM
10th Gear

I tried the electromagnetic thing on my wife's car. It did not work at all.
All I got was a wasted Saturday of dismantling and re-assembling the rear of the car.

I did try to bench test it after final removal and I can say that the detection system is too sensitive to metal, so it picks up your own car and when you calibrate it to not do that it is useless.

If you have nave then install a backup camera, if not go with any normal system with sensors(then you have to drill through the bumper ).

My
Old 10-13-2008, 09:54 PM
Racer

Received 25 Likes on 22 Posts
There are OEM backup sensors for the Accord Euro. If you can find a source or dealer in Asia, UK or Australia, they can ship to you. They are color matched.
Old 10-14-2008, 02:03 PM
CGP Ebony

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
I wouldn't want to drill into my bumper either. If you have navi, another option (IMO, much more useful) is getting a rearview camera installed.
Old 10-15-2008, 08:50 AM
Intermediate

I had mine installed like this. I didn't want to drill holes on my bumper so I decided to go with exposure type. I painted them to match my body and they work great! You have to have these if you do street parking a lot. I thought about installing the backup camera but was afraid if it gets stolen in NY.

Old 10-16-2008, 03:40 PM
Oliver!!!

Received 38 Likes on 30 Posts
That's nice chaoman. Where do you get the system from? And how much did it run, if you don't mind my asking. I've been interested in getting something, but everything I've seen is kinda hokey and cheap looking. I like the GM system in my friend's Outlander minivan. Three LEDs in the center of the tailgate (above the glass) and it uses the factory chime. You can see the LEDs in the rear view. It's nice b/c you can back up using just your mirrors (I like to use the side mirrors, even tilting the passenger side one down like the 09 does automatically.)
Old 10-22-2008, 11:27 PM
Intermediate

Originally Posted by litesout
That's nice chaoman. Where do you get the system from? And how much did it run, if you don't mind my asking. I've been interested in getting something, but everything I've seen is kinda hokey and cheap looking. I like the GM system in my friend's Outlander minivan. Three LEDs in the center of the tailgate (above the glass) and it uses the factory chime. You can see the LEDs in the rear view. It's nice b/c you can back up using just your mirrors (I like to use the side mirrors, even tilting the passenger side one down like the 09 does automatically.)
Hey litesout,

I got mine from eBay a while back before started to sell those drill type. I think they run about $20 shipped. I've seen this mountable type at Target couple weeks ago and maybe you will have better luck online than retail for this type of products. I just searched eBay and they have this new type but it's a bit pricey...

Just FYI.

http://cgi.ebay.com/No-Drill-No-Hole...3286.m63.l1177

Last edited by chaoman; 10-22-2008 at 11:29 PM.
Old 10-23-2008, 07:08 AM
Oliver!!!

That system looks pretty interesting. And their web site was actually very good. They have all the instructions right there for anyone to check out. I like that there's no drilling, and no sensors mounted externally so you maintain the full factory look. Might be an interesting project for a weekend. I don't like the idea of having to remove the rear bumper, though. Might have to look into that. Thanks for the link!
Old 10-26-2008, 06:59 PM
Ex-King of Pasadena

this? you guys mean?

if so, Yes, holes drilled. Work for monthssss without problem.

something like this...
http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/LED-D...mZ250312083419

but NO, I Did NOT get it from Ebay.

Last edited by msmching; 10-26-2008 at 07:03 PM.
Old 11-11-2008, 04:46 PM
10th Gear

msmching: Did you remove the bumper to install the sensors? If so, do you have any hints or references on doing this?

Was there much interference inside the bumper for the sensors? Was there enough depth for the sensor and wire?

Thanks...
Old 11-13-2008, 06:27 PM
Cruisin'

this one actually looks nice... OEM

Old 04-05-2009, 04:52 PM
10th Gear

I bit the bullet and installed an after-market backup sensor in my 2008 TSX. I ordered an audible-only (no display) sensor system from HY Technologies (http://parking-sensors.hyt.com/). While other products can be found on eBay, HYTEC had what I wanted, provided prompt answers to questions, and provide fast shipping in the U.S.

The set came with 6 sensors including two for the front. I have no immediate plans to install the front sensors. The control box can handle 8 sensors, and HYTEC said it can operate with 1 to 8 sensors.

I was concerned about clearance (depth) inside the bumper for the sensors which turned out to not be a problem. There is a lot of room, in both height and depth.

There is clearance for sensors inside the bumper anywhere between ~21” to 28" above ground. I decided to mount the sensors 25" high. The bumper at that height is nearly vertical for good sensor aiming.

Disassembly:

As others have written here on the 'zine, removing the bumper isn't hard although the first time can be intimidating. Referring to the 2009 Acura TSX backup sensor installation instructions: steps 3-6 are almost identical to what I found. My car has mud flaps which may account for my finding 6 screws per side (5 Phillips, 1 Torx) rather than the 5 shown in the instructions. Step 7 shows a clip which wasn't in my car. Step 8 is very similar to what I found.

Removing the interior clips was easy using a pair of needle nose pliers. Poke the nose under the cap and pry the clip loose.

I had help removing the bumper the first time. After that, I put it on and off a number of times solo. You should have a soft surface to rest it on to avoid scratches.

Measuring and drilling:

I wondered if I'd find sensor location marks inside the bumper since backup sensors were sold in other markets (e.g. Australia for the Accord Euro), but there weren't any that I could see.

Lateral locations: I marked the car centerline (with a 'white board' erasable marker) on the bumper with a plumb-bob from the center of the trunk emblem. I then marked the outside sensor locations 26" from center, the other two 10.5" from center. These dimensions are arbitrary; I was roughly mimicking the 2009 sensor locations.

Vertical locations: Once I figured out the lateral spacings, I marked the bumper 25" above the garage floor. Don't depend on this! The car had a bit of a tilt, and neither the car nor the floor were level enough to use a spirit level.

Instead, I poked one hole through the bumper 25” high at a sensor location with an awl. Then I removed the bumper, placed it upside down on the garage floor, and measured the height of the hole. I used that distance to mark the other 3 locations.

I found it easiest to do the drilling with the bumper on the car. You can just stick it on, tuck in parts of the sides, and it's plenty stable.

I made starter holes with the awl, drilled pilot holes, and finished with the 21mm hole saw (supplied with the kit). Acura's instructions say to drill from the inside. It has been my experience that you end up with a cleaner cut starting from the finish side. That worked well.

There are two plastic grommets to the trunk about the same height as the sensors which can be used as pass- thrus for the cables.

I inserted the sensors in the bumper, used duct tape to hold the wires in place, and routed them to a spot near the grommet.

I cut an 'X' in the grommet, passed the cables through, and applied some caulk to the outside.

I ordered the sensors in 'silver' as the closest available color to Glacier Blue and easier to cover with paint. However, my wife thinks they are fine the way they are. For now, silver will do.

Wiring:

The reverse lights are fed from the green wires at the bottom left of the connector shown below. I verified that with a voltmeter before digging into the harness. This photo shows the tap-splice (red thing) installed. This is easier to work with if you detach the connector body from its attachment. It's easiest to do this if you access it from inside the car through the trunk pass-through. Find where the connector clips onto it's mount, then gently drive the connector to the left (as seen here) with a screwdriver on the mount. It will unsnap and be easier to work with loose. It's easier if you crawl into the trunk for much of this work.

On the left of the picture below you can see the beeper module (round black thing). I had covered the hole with some white sticky foam tape to mute it a bit. I ended up removing the mute later.

I mounted the brains of the outfit using the double-sided sticky foam in the kit. I tied the excess in the sensor leads in a bundle. There is a yellow wire wrapped up that I didn't use. If I add front sensors, that would be used to pick power from a brake light.

Gotta go practice my parallel parking... Paul

references:
Here's one source of the 2009 Acura kit instructions - https://hondacuraworld.hostasaurus.c...tions/tsx2009/
Bumper removal - https://acurazine.com/forums/1g-tsx-2004-2008-124/has-anyone-removed-rear-bumper-before-711251/
Old 04-05-2009, 09:59 PM
Ex-King of Pasadena

looks good!!

lol, wasnt subscribed to this thread, and didn't know you asked me another question. but oh well, good that you did it alright. XD
Old 04-06-2009, 06:35 AM
Oliver!!!

Very nice DIY! This makes me feel a lot better about taking this project on myself after I get into the new place. The site looks good, lots of great information. And the prices are reasonable. On par with retail prices. I like the one with the VFD, but as with any of the others, I don't know where I'd mount the display.