Another new TSX owner

Search this Thread

Old 12-24-2003 | 08:47 AM
4th Gear

Another new TSX owner

For the last 6 months I've been wrestling with the decision on what new vehicle to get when the lease ended on my 2001 Toyota RAV4. I didn't want to go with an SUV again. While I really loved the RAV it just didn't have the performance I wanted. My previous 2 cars before that were a first and second generation Nissan Altima and while I enjoyed both of them as well they were certainly big compromises in the performance department as well.

So..... this time I swore I was NOT going to settle for a car that just looked good and was comfortable. It had to have power. There was no way I was going to even look at something without a 6 cyl and 240+ HP. My initial choices had been narrowed down to the Nissan Maxima, Infinity G35, BMW 330, Lexus IS300 and Mazda 6s. Pretty wide range (on all counts from size to performance to cost).

While doing my research I ran into the new Acura TSX. While I've never been a Honda fan I've always liked the Acura TL. On paper the TSX looked like I shouldn't even be considering it. The Mazda 6 was already a compromise to my performance expectations and I was NOT going to buy another 4 cyl under any circumstances. Then I started reading reviews and all the TSX forums. Everyone who had driven this car seemed to love it. Many had the same reaction of "oh, not another Honda 4" before the drive and came out with a much different opinion. So the TSX joined my list.

In November I went to the Boston auto show and checked out all the cars in more detail. (I hate dealing with car dealers so I tend to do my research at the shows and on Sundays at the dealers). This was the first time I has seen a TSX in person since neither of my local Acura dealers had one in stock. The TSX jumped way up on my list at this point. My first choices were still the G35 and IS300 but they both had 2 problems. They are rear wheel drive (which is great if you don't live in New England) and they both cost nearly $10K more than the TSX and Mazda 6.

I finally decided that the rear wheel drive was just too impractical and decided that it was time to drive a TSX. Two weeks ago I called one of my local Acura dealers and found out that they had the model and color that I was interested in (White/5AT/No Nav) coming in with their next shippment. I went down that day for a drive. That was all it took - I was hooked. Performance, handling, ride, comfort, looks - everything was above my expectations.

Yesterday the saga ended when I picked up my new TSX. The car came in less than a week after I first called the dealer. Just lucky that I hit it at the right time since TSX's in general are pretty scarce around here. Wound up getting a good deal - about $750 under list on a 39 month lease. I also had them put on the 3M RoadBlock invisible bra from Autobhand (which turned out great). I couldn't be happier with the car. I have a short 7 mile commute to work which I now wish was longer. The good part is that it is 7 miles of twisting back roads which I drove with the TSX for the first time this morning. WooHoo!!

One thing I should mention is that I don't fit the demographic of the typical TSX owner at all. I'm a 46 year old male who has been married for 24 years and has a 9 year old child. I guess that this means that I should be driving a TL (or a BMW or Lexus or Mercedes...) but I wouldn't trade the TSX for any of them.

Thanks to all those on this board who contributed their TSX experiences and helped to steer my to looking at this car. Without you guys I probably would have just blown the TSX off and missed out on this awesome car.

Happy TSXing -

Mark Truman
Old 12-24-2003 | 09:08 AM
Yeah..

Awesome write-up Mark. Thanks for sharing. Enjoy.

By the way, I live in RI as well. Did you get your car from Inskip? I'm gathering data since I'll be looking to make a purchase of a tsx in the spring. Thanks.
Old 12-24-2003 | 09:47 AM
Intermediate

Are you angling for a job with North American Acura? That was an almost perfect testimonial.

Welcome to the clan.
Old 12-24-2003 | 09:52 AM
More On

Re: Another new TSX owner

Originally posted by mrt42
.....I don't fit the demographic of the typical TSX owner at all. I'm a 46 year old male who has been married for 24 years and has a 9 year old child. I guess that this means that I should be driving a TL (or a BMW or Lexus or Mercedes...) but I wouldn't trade the TSX for any of them.....
You've got company. And beyond, if you know what I mean.

Great write-up!

I wouldn't trade it for any of them either.
Old 12-24-2003 | 10:01 AM
dnb
in search of PW threads

Ah, another fellow New Englander. Welcome!

I'd like to echo 7or8's question: From which dealer did you get your car?
Old 12-24-2003 | 10:16 AM
Obnoxious Philadelphian

Re: Re: Another new TSX owner

Originally posted by larchmont
I wouldn't trade it for any of them either.
Now larch, are you sure?? Cuz you seem like you waver on the TSX to me

Welcome mrt42. Nice write-up. I was also in the 'no 4-cyl for me' camp until I found the TSX. No regrets here (even with my 6-cyl fuel economy)
Old 12-24-2003 | 10:17 AM
Team Owner

You have excellent taste

Old 12-24-2003 | 10:30 AM
such a dirty birdy

Hey Mark, nice write up. Welcome, I'm sure you'll enjoy the car.
Old 12-24-2003 | 10:51 AM
4th Gear

Wow - this forum is even more active than I realized!! 7 replies in 2 hours!

For my fellow Rhode Islander / New Englanders I got the car from Acura of Newport. I had requested a quote from Inskip via email (from the Acura web site) and they were so much of a pain to deal with that I never even went to the dealership. They told me that they didn't have the model I was looking for and that I would need to order one by early December to take delivery in late January. They also have had almost zero TSX inventory for the last few months. Acura of Newport were a pleasure to deal with. As I mentioned, they had the model that I wanted on route when I called and it was there in one week. I feel I got a good deal on price and their service appears to be great. They will pick up the car for service at your house and provide a loaner. This isn't just for local customers - they say they have customers on the middle of Cape Cod that they do this for now!! They are also preparing to relocate from Newport to Seekonk MA in February if that makes any difference.
Old 12-24-2003 | 11:05 AM
Intermediate

Great write up and congrats again on the aquisition of a great car.
Old 12-24-2003 | 11:48 AM
Yeah..

...They will pick up the car for service at your house and provide a loaner....-
Do they provide this service no-charge? The reason I ask, is that Inskip providers the pick-up-and-delivery service for like $400 or somethin. They will throw it in for free sometimes. If Acura of Newport always throws in that service agreement at no-charge than that is awesome.

..They are also preparing to relocate from Newport to Seekonk MA in February if that makes any difference... [/B]
Yeah I heard that. I think they're going to be located on route 6. That's a big ccnsideration for me since I'm up that way all the time anyway.
Old 12-24-2003 | 12:55 PM
4th Gear

Originally posted by 7or8
Do they provide this service no-charge? The reason I ask, is that Inskip providers the pick-up-and-delivery service for like $400 or somethin. They will throw it in for free sometimes. If Acura of Newport always throws in that service agreement at no-charge than that is awesome.
The pickup and delivery service at Acura of Newport is free which I agree is awesome.
Old 12-24-2003 | 01:04 PM
Yeah..

The pickup and delivery service at Acura of Newport is free which I agree is awesome.
Great!

I'll definitely check them out come spring. Thanks Mark.
Old 12-24-2003 | 05:01 PM
Drifting

Mark, what a wonderful story! Thanks for sharing. Congratulations on your TSX!!!

I was in the same mind set too - I wanted a V6 and V6 only. Did not want to even test drive the 4 cylinder cars. However, I read such great write-ups on the TSX that I had to try it... then I knew that I didn't really need a V6! LOL I had the hardest time trying to decide between the TL and the TSX, but in the end, the fold-down rear seats of the TSX and the fact that I could pocket $6000 for investment/other purchases pushed me into the TSX! I know, it sounds really stupid, but if the TL had the rear fold-down seats, I would have bought it instead... anyway, I am happy with my TSX!!!
Old 12-24-2003 | 11:52 PM
Yeah..

Originally posted by ostrich
... I know, it sounds really stupid, but if the TL had the rear fold-down seats, I would have bought it instead...
Dude, that doesn't sound stupid...to me at least. I hate going snowboarding and only being able to fit one other person in my car because I have the whole back seat folded down. I promised myself that the next car I get would have a split fold down rear seat. That's one of the things that cemented my decision on a TSX.