Am I just screwed?

Search this Thread

Old 06-22-2006, 12:47 AM
Cruisin'

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Unhappy Am I just screwed?

Just bought a '04 TSX from a chevy dealer(I know) who told me that the reason the heads up display(HVAC I think it's called) wasn't showing up because the nav system was disabled. The mechanics had disconnected the battery causing the nav system to enter "Someone is stealing me". I asked if they had the code, or at least knew how to retrieve the codes. I told them that I wanted written in the deal that the nav system needed to be fixed by them. After about fifteen minutes the salesman informed me that according to the Acura service department it would cost $80 to retrieve the codes and the car would be discounted that amount.

Well I have since found the pin codes and entered them in the system. Sad thing is that not even the Service Manager of a local Acura dealership knew how to enter the Audio system key, but actually a guy from the local Honda dealership knew what to do. So after he activated the audio system I scoped for that heads up display to come on, but sadly it didn't. So I drove back home from this only to find that the display was on, but extremely dim. After some research on the internet I believe this TSB is the cause, which according to the service department will require a $1400 part to fix.

Now this car is out of warranty, so that's not an option. The fixing of the nav wasn't written in since the car was discounted $80. So that's not an option either. Also since it's a TSB Acura won't fix it even though they admit to installing bad hardware. So that's not an option. The 90-day warranty they give you only covers power-train sort of stuff. So that's not an option. They make you sign an agreement to void the 3-day return policy on the car here in WA. So that's not an option.

You guys know of any option I can try to get this fixed? As I'm not going to pay $1400 for a heads up display when the rest of the car works fine. Don't get me wrong I'm extremely happy with the car, but this issue has turned me pretty sour to the whole thing. So am I just screwed?
Old 06-22-2006, 01:31 AM
Let me help you!

Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts
Sounds like the chevy dealership is trying to scam you. They conveniently disabled the navi, sold you the car, and hid behind the "no buyer remorse" law (I forget what it's called). (Oh, I see you're from WA...in Cali, the second you sign and take delivery, you can't take it back).

I would go back to the chevy dealer and chew them out. See if they'll fix it.

I would have never taken delivery until I was absolutely satisfied with the car.

TSB isn't a recall...it's basically just detailed directions to commonly found problems that technicians can follow (instead of having to figure it out over and over again). It has to be a risk to safety in order to be a recall

Maybe you can find a used navi system for sale (from a totaled TSX, etc). Did you talk to the Acura dealer, or did the chevy dealer just throw in the amount of $80?

Or maybe the display is set at the lowest brightness, and it's set for night mode? *shrugs* Although I'd expect it to be at the default settings...

By the way, at the top of the TSB it lists the VIN numbers that are affected...is yours in the range?
Old 06-22-2006, 01:37 AM
Racer

i think the dealer knew the problem before hand... that is why they did not give you the full 30-day bumper-to-bumper warranty on their used cars. Usually real 'name-brand' dealers would offer a 30-day full ceritifed warranty bumper-to-bumper.
Old 06-22-2006, 03:04 AM
Got Phó?

Sorry to hear that, i hate used cars....always have bad luck with them. Thats why i bought my TSX brand spanking new.
Old 06-22-2006, 08:04 AM
Team Owner

Received 378 Likes on 198 Posts
Time to go back to the Chevy dealer and make a scene. Scare away their customers by bitching at the sales rep or the GM of the dealership in the showroom while a lot of other people are around.

Oh, and dumb move buying the car before checking to make sure everything worked.

Also, what is this heads up display you speak of??
Old 06-22-2006, 08:40 AM
Just dial 1911

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Why on earth would anyone buy a used, late model Acura from any place other then an Acura dealer? Much less buy a car that obviously wasnt working properly...

If the used car sticker was warrentied by the Chevy dealer "AS IS" then your screwed...
Old 06-22-2006, 08:53 AM
Bye TSX, hello domestic?

sorry to hear it man, you're screwed
Old 06-22-2006, 09:27 AM
Oh well it's

with everone esle......You are screwed buddy
Old 06-22-2006, 09:32 AM
Racer

Originally Posted by SoCaliTrojan
Sounds like the chevy dealership is trying to scam you. They conveniently disabled the navi, sold you the car, and hid behind the "no buyer remorse" law (I forget what it's called). (Oh, I see you're from WA...in Cali, the second you sign and take delivery, you can't take it back).

I would go back to the chevy dealer and chew them out. See if they'll fix it.

I would have never taken delivery until I was absolutely satisfied with the car.

TSB isn't a recall...it's basically just detailed directions to commonly found problems that technicians can follow (instead of having to figure it out over and over again). It has to be a risk to safety in order to be a recall

Maybe you can find a used navi system for sale (from a totaled TSX, etc). Did you talk to the Acura dealer, or did the chevy dealer just throw in the amount of $80?

Or maybe the display is set at the lowest brightness, and it's set for night mode? *shrugs* Although I'd expect it to be at the default settings...

By the way, at the top of the TSB it lists the VIN numbers that are affected...is yours in the range?

Well the law changed this year. If you buy a USED car at the dealer lot there is like a two week "cooling off perioid" and within those two weeks you CAN return your car and get all your money back.

Think it went affect 1/06.
Old 06-22-2006, 09:33 AM
Just dial 1911

Originally Posted by gsrthomas
Well the law changed this year. If you buy a USED car at the dealer lot there is like a two week "cooling off perioid" and within those two weeks you CAN return your car and get all your money back.

Think it went affect 1/06.
In CA? Link to proof?
Old 06-22-2006, 09:35 AM
Racer

Also if buying the car used from the dealer you should of at LEAST bought it from an Acura Dealership. They would of fixed this with no problem.
Old 06-22-2006, 09:38 AM
Racer

Originally Posted by joerockt
In CA? Link to proof?
Its two days not two weeks, and yes in Cali.

I just quickly googled it.

http://www.aiada.org/article.asp?id=44194
Old 06-22-2006, 09:39 AM
Oh well it's

In CA? Link to proof?
Old 06-22-2006, 09:43 AM
Racer

Originally Posted by wickedk24
Check post 12!
Old 06-22-2006, 09:54 AM
Just dial 1911

Its two days not two weeks, and yes in Cali.

I just quickly googled it.

http://www.aiada.org/article.asp?id=44194
Looks like its "optional" and the dealer will charge you a fee for it. Who knows how much.

Also, they can also charge a "restocking fee"...Thats crap...

Thanks for the link
Old 06-22-2006, 10:01 AM
Cruisin'

Originally Posted by CGTSX2004
Oh, and dumb move buying the car before checking to make sure everything worked.

Also, what is this heads up display you speak of??
Yeah I agree with you there that I wasn't very smart. I was merely asking for help for my screw up. Don't get me wrong, I'm still happy with the car. It was my first car buying expierence on my own, and I thought I knew what to do.

The heads up display I speak of is the one with the climate control numbers and the audio info. It sits inside the dash above the nav system.
Old 06-22-2006, 10:09 AM
Racer

Originally Posted by TheHardlyFast
Yeah I agree with you there that I wasn't very smart. I was merely asking for help for my screw up. Don't get me wrong, I'm still happy with the car. It was my first car buying expierence on my own, and I thought I knew what to do.

The heads up display I speak of is the one with the climate control numbers and the audio info. It sits inside the dash above the nav system.
So how long have you had the vehicle now?

I say go to the GM at the Chevy Dealership. Act frustrated and demand them to fix it because it was NOT working while you bought the car. I'm sure they will do something. Its worth a try.
Old 06-22-2006, 10:14 AM
Advanced

I don't think you have much recourse.

I would talk to the general manager of the dealership and inform him of your displeasure. Tell him that if they don't make you happy, you'll take every opportunity to drop by the dealership and share your story with their potential customers.

Then follow up on it (in a polite and civil manner), if necessary, until you get sick of it and decide to eat the $1400 (or if they either give in and take back the car or fix it for you).

Also, you could take it to a number of Acura dealerships and see if any of them will perform the repair out of goodwill.

Does anyone know if there's a single weak component that typically fails on these units? If so, you could try to fix it yourself, if you are so inclined.
Old 06-22-2006, 10:17 AM
Cruisin'

So how long have you had the vehicle now?
3 days.

Originally Posted by jihan3
Does anyone know if there's a single weak component that typically fails on these units? If so, you could try to fix it yourself, if you are so inclined.
I'd be very inclined, but my search on the internet has only resulted in the TSB and no "DIY" stuff.
Old 06-22-2006, 10:17 AM
Instructor

If nothing works for you, like someone mentioned above, make a big scene at the Chevy Dealer, I'm sure they'll do something about it. Looks like you'll need on your acting skills before you go... good luck.
Old 06-22-2006, 10:22 AM
Team Owner

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
You can threaten a lawsuit. Take them to small claims court. It sure seems like they disabled the Navi to hide the "dim light" problem.
Racer

3 days.

I'd be very inclined, but my search on the internet has only resulted in the TSB and no "DIY" stuff.
Damn 3 days is nothing. Go to the dealer today, ASAP.

Let us know what happends.
Team Owner

You can threaten a lawsuit. Take them to small claims court. It sure seems like they disabled the Navi to hide the "dim light" problem. Also, threaten to file a complaint with the better business bureau, and then follow through.
Old 06-22-2006, 11:25 AM
Just dial 1911

Originally Posted by jlukja
You can threaten a lawsuit. Take them to small claims court. It sure seems like they disabled the Navi to hide the "dim light" problem.
You can threaten a lawsuit. Take them to small claims court. It sure seems like they disabled the Navi to hide the "dim light" problem. Also, threaten to file a complaint with the better business bureau, and then follow through.
Uhhh, we get it Jan
Old 06-22-2006, 11:34 AM
Team Owner

Uhhh, we get it Jan
How'd that happen?

I was trying to be emphatic?
Old 06-22-2006, 12:05 PM
Just dial 1911

How'd that happen?

I was trying to be emphatic?
Old 06-22-2006, 01:25 PM
Racer

well how much did you pay chevy for this car anyways? if it was cheap enough, then I guess you can say you got what you paid for. Trying to see if you got ripped off or not. Because Chevy obviously knowingly knew the problem and probably reduced the price, enough to attract you to buy it.

example, if this car was worth $24000 on KBB and you paid chevy $22000 then i guess it was reasonable...that extra $1400 must now go into the repairs?

thats the way I see it atleast.
Old 06-22-2006, 02:39 PM
Cruisin'

I paid 20,414 for it. I got a decent deal on it really.

Some features on it are excuse my lack of knowlege on what's standard what's not,
Nav
65K Miles (I know, no need to rip into me for it)
Heated Seats
i-VES Entertainment System
Leather interior
Dual Climate
17" wheels

And update on the situation is that I've placed a few calls to the dealership about it. And now they're requesting an Acura dealership fix it since a TSB is out there. Do I expect this to work, nope but I'm trying. I'm expecting a call back from them by the end of the day with a response from the chevy dealership on what the Acura manager said.

One thing I remember when I talked to the manager was that he said that they didn't have the DVD for it. But I caught him in a lie with it though. In order to get that message to come up from my expierence was only by knowing the nav code. So the question of whether the system was purposefully disabled comes greatly into question. I admit I took a HUGE risk buying the car with the nav system not available and working. All I can say is that I've lived and learned.
Old 06-22-2006, 02:51 PM
Just dial 1911

Well at least it sounds like your making progress...

The DVD navi disc is like $120 so if you have to buy it, no biggie. At least you will have the latest maps...

BTW, if you get them to fix the navi no charge, even with the mileage I think you still got a decent deal...
Old 06-22-2006, 03:15 PM
Cruisin'

Well at least it sounds like your making progress...

The DVD navi disc is like $120 so if you have to buy it, no biggie. At least you will have the latest maps...
Nahh it had the disc in it. It's even the orange one so it's up to date. There's a door on the DVD player that wasn't shut that's why the nav system was complaining. But in order to see that message for the door the nav system code had to have been entered. See where it gets extremely incriminating for him to have told me it didn't have a disc?
Old 06-22-2006, 03:18 PM
TSX

quit wasting time on this forum and take some action already dood...
Old 06-22-2006, 04:50 PM
Banned

I paid 20,414 for it. I got a decent deal on it really.
65k m
Nav
i-VES Entertainment System
I think this was a great deal.
So... IS NAV WORKING AT ALL ???
Old 06-22-2006, 05:08 PM
Cruisin'

Originally Posted by Savio
quit wasting time on this forum and take some action already dood...
I'm giving them there time to try and fix it. I'm at work, so I can only do so much.

So... IS NAV WORKING AT ALL ???
Yeah everything is working except for the HVAC display. The one in the dash above the nav system.
Old 06-22-2006, 05:16 PM
Racer

I would rather go there in person than calling.
Old 06-22-2006, 05:48 PM
Someone stole "My Garage"

Received 17 Likes on 14 Posts
Can you find the part that is broken here:

http://www.acuraautomotiveparts.org/...catdisplay.jsp

If so, what subsection and illustration number is it? If its not the actual NAVI itself, I can't see it being too expensive, if worst comes to worse.
Old 06-22-2006, 06:02 PM
Cruisin'

That's the part that's broke. I know it's an Accord, but it's the same part. I was told by the Acura dealership that they have to replace the whole audio unit which would be $1,400. If it was a cheap fix I wouldn't bother hassling them, or wasting my time.

Edited to say that I can't seem to find it in that page you gave me. And that's an awesome page BTW.
Old 06-22-2006, 09:07 PM
Drifting

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
screwed
Old 06-22-2006, 09:57 PM
Let me help you!

Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts

SUB-DISPLAY ASSY. --> 232.12

I think that's it...

although I haven't read the TSB, so I don't know if the fault is due to something else...
Old 06-22-2006, 10:17 PM
Banned

That's the part that's broke. I know it's an Accord,
LOL...can't even find a correct one from TSX
man you got a lot to learn
http://images.google.com/images?q=ts...=Search+Images
Old 06-22-2006, 10:51 PM
OEM plus!

I don't believe in getting screwed unless it's the good kind ...

If it were me...and anyone that knows this would vouch for me. Go back to the guy you bought it from, and have a "chat" with him. Stick it up their azz. The days of the little man getting bent over are gone, you have to be the inforcer. You don't need to need to get hostile with them, that will just make them less likely to help you.

Just be persistant. Give them all of the info that you know, as you did about the TSB's etc. Gather as much "proof" as you can. Write some notes and take them in with you...sounds stupid until you win the argument. When you come in and have knowlegde coupled with direct persistant and the "you are not f**king me over" tone of voice, people listen. Tell them that you are being inconvenienced as a result of the issue and you want to know the course of action that the dealer is going to take. (INCONVENIENCE IS MY ALL TIME FAVORITE WORD THAT I USE AS MUCH AS POSSIBLE IN SITUATIONS LIKE THESE) I do this type of thing all of the time. You have to fight back, even if you don't think you are going to win because it is just wrong for people to do business that way.

Even though there may not be anything on paper that shows that the car was discounted 80 dollars as a result of the Navi problem, make them remember it in the conversation. I just recently did this when I bought my parents a new Civic. The salesman was going on and on with new bs that was never talked about before. At that point you just have to corner them with points from your previous conversation.

If you don't win, and they don't want to help, then get loud and draw some attention. They will lose more than $1,400 dollars in business if you get irate on the showroom floor.

Quick Reply: Am I just screwed?