Am I just screwed?

Search this Thread

Old 06-22-2006, 11:00 PM
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
If you're not the type that will go in and cause a ruckus, take someone with you who will. This is absolutely unacceptable, just reading it angers me. Go in there, speak to the person who sold you the car as A Cake On prescribed and it will work out.

GOOOOOOO NOWWWWWWWW!!!!
Old 06-23-2006, 07:50 AM
Someone stole "My Garage"

Received 17 Likes on 14 Posts
Originally Posted by A Cake On
I don't believe in getting screwed unless it's the good kind ...

If it were me...and anyone that knows this would vouch for me. Go back to the guy you bought it from, and have a "chat" with him. Stick it up their azz. The days of the little man getting bent over are gone, you have to be the inforcer. You don't need to need to get hostile with them, that will just make them less likely to help you.

Just be persistant. Give them all of the info that you know, as you did about the TSB's etc. Gather as much "proof" as you can. Write some notes and take them in with you...sounds stupid until you win the argument. When you come in and have knowlegde coupled with direct persistant and the "you are not f**king me over" tone of voice, people listen. Tell them that you are being inconvenienced as a result of the issue and you want to know the course of action that the dealer is going to take. (INCONVENIENCE IS MY ALL TIME FAVORITE WORD THAT I USE AS MUCH AS POSSIBLE IN SITUATIONS LIKE THESE) I do this type of thing all of the time. You have to fight back, even if you don't think you are going to win because it is just wrong for people to do business that way.

Even though there may not be anything on paper that shows that the car was discounted 80 dollars as a result of the Navi problem, make them remember it in the conversation. I just recently did this when I bought my parents a new Civic. The salesman was going on and on with new bs that was never talked about before. At that point you just have to corner them with points from your previous conversation.

If you don't win, and they don't want to help, then get loud and draw some attention. They will lose more than $1,400 dollars in business if you get irate on the showroom floor.
Best post ever.

That is exactly what the original poster should do... to a "T"
Old 06-23-2006, 08:13 AM
Burning Brakes

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
um...guys, he didn't really get screwed. He got his nav working and everything, just that that little display uptop isn't working - which doesn't tell you anything new in addition to what the nav screen would. I think you should be able to replace just taht one part. But i do hope you get it resolved, that was reallly scammish of them.
Old 06-26-2006, 09:28 AM
Racer

So any new updates?
Old 06-26-2006, 10:49 AM
TSX

The person who traded it in is a tool...

who would trade in an Acura for a Chevy???? (unless it was a vette )
Old 06-26-2006, 10:56 AM
Banned

Originally Posted by Savio
who would trade in an Acura for a Chevy???? (unless it was a vette )
for a V-6
Old 06-26-2006, 11:03 AM
Registered Abuser of VTEC

Received 115 Likes on 84 Posts
Originally Posted by fuckleberry
for a V-6

Because a V6 Malibu is a better car
Old 06-26-2006, 06:48 PM
TSX Addict

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by youngTL

Because a V6 Malibu is a better car
Old 06-29-2006, 07:27 PM
Cruisin'

Originally Posted by A Cake On
I don't believe in getting screwed unless it's the good kind ...

If it were me...and anyone that knows this would vouch for me. Go back to the guy you bought it from, and have a "chat" with him. Stick it up their azz. The days of the little man getting bent over are gone, you have to be the inforcer. You don't need to need to get hostile with them, that will just make them less likely to help you.

Just be persistant. Give them all of the info that you know, as you did about the TSB's etc. Gather as much "proof" as you can. Write some notes and take them in with you...sounds stupid until you win the argument. When you come in and have knowlegde coupled with direct persistant and the "you are not f**king me over" tone of voice, people listen. Tell them that you are being inconvenienced as a result of the issue and you want to know the course of action that the dealer is going to take. (INCONVENIENCE IS MY ALL TIME FAVORITE WORD THAT I USE AS MUCH AS POSSIBLE IN SITUATIONS LIKE THESE) I do this type of thing all of the time. You have to fight back, even if you don't think you are going to win because it is just wrong for people to do business that way.

Even though there may not be anything on paper that shows that the car was discounted 80 dollars as a result of the Navi problem, make them remember it in the conversation. I just recently did this when I bought my parents a new Civic. The salesman was going on and on with new bs that was never talked about before. At that point you just have to corner them with points from your previous conversation.

If you don't win, and they don't want to help, then get loud and draw some attention. They will lose more than $1,400 dollars in business if you get irate on the showroom floor.
Well, thought I'd give everyone an update on the situation. I have taken this guys' advice to heart. During that week I was able to get a hold of the customer service guy so I didn't fret too much. But I hadn't been able to get a hold of since last friday and finally got pissed enough to jump in the car.

So today I went in today with <--- that kind of face. Talked with the customer rep guy for a good hour back and forth grillin the guy on the showroom floor with the above mentioned attitude. I talked with a lawyer and had answer to the "as is" statement I knew they were gonna pull. After an hour of talking with him and having him go to the owner a few times. I was actually approached by an owner telling me "That he wasn't going to let me jaw at him and name call him." At which I respond with that "I have done nothing of that sort." I honestly didn't swear or name call once. He says, "Fine, but just know whatever the problem is it will be fixed," where he then walked away. At which point I got the feeling that I got the attention that I needed to get and it was time to leave.

He is suppose to give me a call on Wednesday whether the Acura manager gets back to him or not. I told him that I didn't appreciate how the owner approached me, and that I would be more reasonable with this being a holiday weekend to give him till Friday for a response. I told him my patience is wearing thin, and that I better recieve some sort of response from him because I was not going to be screwed over.

So after this little fit, I have a feeling it will be fixed to shut me up. I will give them till Friday to respond because I'm like that, but if they try to give me the run around again? Any more ideas I can try? Think it will be fixed? I've never dealt with a situation like this.

So I have to say a "Big Thanks" to you guys for helping me out.
Old 06-29-2006, 07:30 PM
Cruisin'

Also I have placed a call to Acura Customer Service to see what they can do for me and the dealership. I haven't been able to get a hold of the person that called me back as she's out sick. But I'll update you guys with what Acura has to say when I get a hold of them.
Old 06-29-2006, 07:48 PM

Originally Posted by TheHardlyFast
Well, thought I'd give everyone an update on the situation. I have taken this guys' advice to heart. During that week I was able to get a hold of the customer service guy so I didn't fret too much. But I hadn't been able to get a hold of since last friday and finally got pissed enough to jump in the car.

So today I went in today with <--- that kind of face. Talked with the customer rep guy for a good hour back and forth grillin the guy on the showroom floor with the above mentioned attitude. I talked with a lawyer and had answer to the "as is" statement I knew they were gonna pull. After an hour of talking with him and having him go to the owner a few times. I was actually approached by an owner telling me "That he wasn't going to let me jaw at him and name call him." At which I respond with that "I have done nothing of that sort." I honestly didn't swear or name call once. He says, "Fine, but just know whatever the problem is it will be fixed," where he then walked away. At which point I got the feeling that I got the attention that I needed to get and it was time to leave.

He is suppose to give me a call on Wednesday whether the Acura manager gets back to him or not. I told him that I didn't appreciate how the owner approached me, and that I would be more reasonable with this being a holiday weekend to give him till Friday for a response. I told him my patience is wearing thin, and that I better recieve some sort of response from him because I was not going to be screwed over.

So after this little fit, I have a feeling it will be fixed to shut me up. I will give them till Friday to respond because I'm like that, but if they try to give me the run around again? Any more ideas I can try? Think it will be fixed? I've never dealt with a situation like this.

So I have to say a "Big Thanks" to you guys for helping me out.
EXCELLENT WORK!

Definately progress seen here, (unless the manager is simply giving you lip service, but I wouldn't think so, as he's probably pissed at having to get an earful from you on this already, and just wants the problem to go away (fixing it)).

I assume you mean next Friday, not tomorrow, correct?

Good luck and keep us updated man!
Old 06-30-2006, 01:43 AM
OEM plus!

Originally Posted by TheHardlyFast
Also I have placed a call to Acura Customer Service to see what they can do for me and the dealership. I haven't been able to get a hold of the person that called me back as she's out sick. But I'll update you guys with what Acura has to say when I get a hold of them.

You are on the right track for sure. As long as you are persistant and not yelling like a mad man, people will have to help you. And you were able to throw it right back in the managers face, because he wanted to bad to say that he wasn't going to help you because you were being an asshole, but he couldn't.

This delay that you are having is all fuel to your fire. The longer this whole ordeal takes is actaully working in your favor, because now that is another point of attack for you. You are a paying customer, and you are further being INCONVENIENCED by the delayed action on everyones part. Continue being persistant and you should get your way.

You're almost home!!!
Old 07-03-2006, 04:51 PM
Cruisin'

Alright got a call back from Acura Customer Service and they won't cover the repair at all in any shape or form. Also found out that communicating with Acura customer support are similar to if you were talk to the Acura regional manager as they work closely together. The rep said she would contact the dealership and inform them of what Acura's stance on the matter is.

Kind of sucks that Acura can admit to installing faulty electronics and not need to fix it.

So hopefully on Wednesday I get a call back from the dealership with what they're going to do about the problem. Hopefully they just fix it, because I'm not going away. Any ideas on approaching the situation now?
Old 07-03-2006, 05:20 PM
Advanced

Although after all of this it seems there must be another problem, you might want to try this:

I have an 04 TSX. I've noticed that if you hold the "AUX" button down for 5 or 10 seconds you will hear a beep. On my car, this makes that same display go very dim. If you hold the button down again it beeps and gets bright again. You might want to try it, just in case...
Old 07-03-2006, 06:46 PM
Advanced

Just wanted to clarify that on the 04 it is the "CD AUX" button.
Old 07-04-2006, 02:51 AM
OEM plus!

I can see Acura not wanting to cover the issue since the warranty coverage is up which kind of sucks. The only thing to do is go back to the Chevy dealer after Acura gets a hold of them.

The Chevy dealer was willing to discount the car 80 dollars when they thought the problem was a cheap fix, now you just have to remind them that it won't be a cheap fix according to what you got from Acura. You already talked to the manager of Chevy (who will be referred to as Chump Change from here on out) and he said that your trouble will be handled...."Fine, but just know whatever the problem is it will be fixed". That sounds like a promise to me. Since you have Chump Change's promise, give him a call and tell him that you will bring the car in to Acura for the estimate, and tell him that you will bring the estimate back to him. Just ask him what time would be good for him to see you with the estimate, and ask him to cut a check to the Acura dealership, so he knows that you aren't going to take the money and run.
Old 07-06-2006, 06:21 PM
Cruisin'

Update!

Looks like they're going to fix it without further action from myself. So I think the situation is over.....

.........I think.
Old 07-06-2006, 06:23 PM
Instructor

wow. you lucked out. here's to hoping that you have zero problems for the remainder of the time you have the car
Old 07-06-2006, 09:48 PM
6th Gear

I'm sorry to hear about thi situation! That is terrible! I just went through a familiar situation with my boyfriend. He bought a certified used Envoy (2003 I think) and not even one week after having it, the transmission blew and that was it! He too was out of warranty and all that and the dealer originally said that he couldnt and wasnt going to do anything. After a few days of drama, they fixed it free of charge. They said the same thing though...once you drive it off the lot, its yours and blah blah blah.

Here is my advice to you based on my experience....

I HATE dealerships and salemen and such with a strong passion. I honestly think they are scamming you just like they did my boyfriend. Its a hassle but here is what I did.

I went over and beyond the salesman and the service manager and spoke to the owner/GM of the dealership. I dont know if your dealership was family owned but this one was so it really helped the situation. You cant scream and fight. You just have to talk to them like they are 5 years old and have that strong and firm tone in your voice that you arent gonna take any bull. Also, talk to people from other dealerships whether it be Acura, Honda, etc. You can also call the main Honda office. I had to do this years ago because of a lemon civic I got. I dont know of any main offices in other states. But the one in California is in Torrance and they were very helpful. If you are willing to compromise, they are more willing to work with you. You just have to stand strong and not let them push you around. Open a mouth if you have to but keep it cool. Drop names or maybe even say that you've been talking to a few lawyers about this. We did that with the Envoy situation and believe me, their tone changed and they started helping after that.

The bottom line to my story is that my boyfriend had to pay for his own rental car but they replaced the transmission. Thats spending only like $200 or less compared to the price of a new transmission.

I would just start making phone calls and speak to different dealerships. Dont give up and once again, I am so sorry to hear that. It really sucks to be put into that position......Good luck!
Old 07-17-2006, 01:27 PM
Cruisin'

Update!

It is being fixed, and the final bill came to 1.6K and the TSB was indeed the cause. I'm no longer pursuing any action towards the dealership and consider the case closed. Thanks for the advice guys! It worked and my car is getting fixed.

Also I have a cool TL as a rental till probably Friday.
Old 07-17-2006, 01:55 PM
Team Owner

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Old 07-17-2006, 03:16 PM
Advanced

I think the chevy dealer should reimburse you the repair cost. Why don’t you write to the Better Business Bureau and see what they can do. You have nothing to loss anyway.
Old 07-17-2006, 03:41 PM

Originally Posted by sidssp
I think the chevy dealer should reimburse you the repair cost. Why don’t you write to the Better Business Bureau and see what they can do. You have nothing to loss anyway.
His 2nd last post (post #56) says that the dealer he bought it from is repairing the car, meaning they're covering the cost I'd normally assume.
Old 07-17-2006, 04:14 PM
Advanced

Originally Posted by curls
His 2nd last post (post #56) says that the dealer he bought it from is repairing the car, meaning they're covering the cost I'd normally assume.
I thought his last post said the bill was 1.6K. I might have misread it.
Old 07-17-2006, 04:19 PM
Cruisin'

Thumbs up

Originally Posted by curls
This is correct, I'm not covering the cost. The dealer is.
Old 07-19-2006, 01:40 AM
OEM plus!

It's good to hear that everything worked out good for you. I think it worked out well, you're getting your car fixed for free and you get a TL to beat on to boot!