Acura Navi System... Aftermarket Options?

Search this Thread

Old 02-21-2008, 10:31 AM
Cruisin'

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question Acura Navi System... Aftermarket Options?

Hi all,

Newbie here! Currently driving a brand new black 2008 TSX. My question is this: I love the car, but occasionally wish that I had sprung for the navi system (I really waver back and forth on this). If I decide that I actually DO want to have the Acura Navi system installed, is there a way to have it added aftermarket as an accessory? I realize that I'd probably end up paying a pretty penny for a dealer install, but I'd really rather have the Acura Navi to an aftermarket like Garmin or TomTom. Does anyone know if I could actually get the Acura Navi now that I've already purchased a vehicle without one?

Thanks!

CBLW
Old 02-21-2008, 11:20 AM
Racer

Received 15 Likes on 6 Posts
No way to get the OEM Navi installed unless you do it by yourself. The dealer won't do it since it's done at the factory in Japan. There are threads about ppl installing it themself if you can get the parts but it does not seem easy. There will be alot of wiring needed since the Bluetooth and Speakers are routed through it, not to mention the steering wheel buttons needed for the voice recognition.

Your'e right that the Acura Navi is great. I have an 02 TL w/ Navi but the Navi screen on the TSX is much larger w/ better features.
Old 02-21-2008, 11:51 AM
Cruisin'

Ok, not to get absurdly entrenched in my possible desire to do this, but given that Acuras are basically just Hondas with bells and whistles attached, and Honda obviously has some factories in the States, would it be possible to research going through an actual Honda FACTORY to have the navi added? It's hard to imagine Honda NOT wanting to take my money for something if they have the ability to do so. I def. wouldn't want to do the install myself. Just curious...

Thanks so much for the help!
Old 02-21-2008, 12:58 PM
Racer

Nope, they won't do it. You can try and call Honda but you'll most likely get the same answer.
Old 02-21-2008, 01:04 PM
Cruisin'

Very weird... just because, as a matter of policy, they refuse?
Old 02-21-2008, 01:09 PM
Racer

I just ordered a Garmin Nuvi 260w. Also get the friction mound. I currently own the Garmin iQue GPS and I was pleased with the features and the capabilities. That would just work fine. Just make sure not to expose the device in your car when you are not there.
Old 02-21-2008, 01:24 PM
Instructor

Received 22 Likes on 13 Posts
Originally Posted by CBLW
This kind of a change would alter the VIN of the vehicle. Factory NAVIs start with JH4CL9x9 (x=std or auto tranny). Yours would end up having a factory NAVI, but a VIN starting with JH4CL9x8. You might not think this is much of an issue, but that VIN is like altering a social security number. It identifies the car and what came with it.
Old 02-21-2008, 01:25 PM
Racer

Originally Posted by CBLW
Policy or not, it's alot of labor and parts needed.

Read this:

https://acurazine.com/forums/audio-video-electronics-navigation-22/non-navi-navi-install-complete-me-long-read-lots-pics-292466/
Old 02-21-2008, 01:29 PM
Instructor

Received 22 Likes on 13 Posts
Originally Posted by dlee74
Just make sure not to expose the device in your car when you are not there.
I have a TomTom and love the functionality (I obviously don't have a Navi TSX). My ONLY gripe is that I'm forced to hide the thing when I leave the car because of the scumbags that will smash your window and grab it, just to hock it for a few vials of crack.

People suck. I actually find myself somewhat annoyed by this...
Old 02-21-2008, 01:36 PM
Racer

Originally Posted by datadr
I have a TomTom and love the functionality (I obviously don't have a Navi TSX). My ONLY gripe is that I'm forced to hide the thing when I leave the car because of the scumbags that will smash your window and grab it, just to hock it for a few vials of crack.

People suck. I actually find myself somewhat annoyed by this...

The Nuvi I am getting has a lock passcode. Doesn't yours? Keep your tomtom in the glovebox locked when you're not using it. I wish the alarm went off when the windows are broken.
Old 02-21-2008, 03:03 PM
Cruisin'

Thanks for all of the input gang!! This is only my first ever thread here, and already I can feel that I'm going to be getting a lot of helpful information from you peeps on down the road :-) I sincerely appreciate all of the other aftermarket navi option suggestions too, and I'm definitely not entirely ruling out that option, but I must admit, it's pretty hard for me to imagine that it's quite LITERALLY impossible to get a factory installed aftermarket Acura Navi (btw, I was utterly shocked by the amount that that one dude went through to install one on his own! CRAZY.).

I totally get the point about the VIN change, but even so, I might explore this a little bit further… at this point, purely as a matter of curiosity. I just can’t help thinking that it's SO weird that if I offered to shell out thousands of dollars to get the thing installed, Honda wouldn't find a way to get 'ir done! I’m used to people at car dealerships BEGGING to take my money. haha
Old 02-21-2008, 07:18 PM
Rep'n Taxbrain.com

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
What area do you live in?

You might be able to find a forum member who will do it for you. There might even be someone in your area who has already completed the install. If you can find someone, it would probably be much cheaper than going to the dealer.
Old 02-21-2008, 08:01 PM
Racer

There is someone that did the conversion. I spoke to him couple of times via e-mail. I think he said it took him a while to install the NAVI and it is a different NAVI. I don't know if he would do it for you. I believe he lives in WA. I hope he does it for me.
Old 02-21-2008, 09:43 PM
2006 ASM tsx

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
i might sell my 06 navi swap... =X
Old 02-21-2008, 09:43 PM
2006 ASM tsx

i might sell my 06 navi swap... =X
Old 02-21-2008, 10:26 PM
Three Wheelin'

The install isn't that hard, it just takes a lot of time studying the circuit diagrams. The harder part is located all the parts, I think.

I see a couple of guys who also did the conversion too, wandering around in this thread, I think they'll agree
Old 02-22-2008, 12:33 AM
CGP Ebony

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
Lightbulb

There so many resources and forum members with experience on doing an OEM Navi conversion, you are in a good position to do a navi conversion.

My Custom Pioneer AVIC Z2 navi is great, but mind you it does take some time coordinating the project.

Faster option is doing the OEM navi conversion, it won't take as long, and all you have to do is find the parts and plan out the install.

Bottom line: You can't beat the look and integration of having a navi in the OEM location, or better yet, having the OEM Navi.
Old 02-22-2008, 01:29 AM
Racer

Xenonhid, you have a link to your install? That's a nice clean finish you got.
Old 02-22-2008, 01:41 AM
Racer

Thanks for the PM & link Xenon, here it is to share w/ others if thats OK.

https://acurazine.com/forums/showthr...=streeteffectz
Old 02-22-2008, 04:17 AM
Advanced

if u can drop down the money like that to have a dealership install it like you first wanted, why not trade-in at the dealership for another car?
Old 02-22-2008, 02:58 PM
Cruisin'

Hi again guys,

I really appreciate that this thread is still alive and kickin'! Like I said before, my interest in this project is no longer really about whether or not it would be terribly practical to actually undertake a project like this (getting a dealer/factory to do an install), as I realize that it would likely be outrageously expensive, if possible at all, my fascination is more along the lines that I am baffled that Honda/Acura wouldn't at LEAST entertain my desire to have the job done by them professionally.

In response to the question about my locale... I reside in the greater Washington, DC region (Go Caps!), and would definitely love to discuss a project like non-navi to navi with another DC area resident (if one exists on this board), but my primary interest still remains pursuing a professional option for getting the Acura Navi installed on my 08 non-navi TSX.

My plan is to attempt to make contact with a domestic Honda factory over the course of the next week or so, and seek to get some answers in the process. If anyone has further insight to share on this subject, or can personally attest to a conversation with Honda/Acura about why a project of this nature is/isn't feasible, by all means, please contribute!

Thanks again!!
Old 02-22-2008, 10:42 PM
Let me help you!

Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts
The dealer won't do it because they're mostly there to repair/maintain your vehicles. You'll need to go to one of those mom & pop audio shops and have them custom install it.

The factory won't do it. The factory is a big assembly line with robots and stuff. I doubt they'd reprogram their robots to take your car apart and re-create it to add the navi instead of non-navi system. Their workers have specialized duties...but I doubt they have a guy there that spends a day or two in each car to manually install the system.

The navi option is only $2,000. However, if I remember correctly, someone was quoted $5,000 to replace his navi out-of-warranty. Obtaining the parts would be the hardest part of this project. Once you have everything, you just need a garage where you can tear down your car for a few days while you install it.

The best option for you would be to trade your car in and get one with a navi. The VIN will show it's a navi-equipped car, which would make resale easier.

The dealer/factory do want money...but they want you to buy cars or accessories that are easy to install (spoiler, body kits, etc.) They're not greedy enough to do custom installs. You could maybe befriend a tech to tackle it in his off-time, but then you might as well do it yourself.
Old 02-25-2008, 01:10 PM
Cruisin'

I don't think I'd ever be so committed to getting myself an Acura Navi that I could honestly justify trading in a one-month-old car simply for that reason. I also don't think that I'd ever hear the end of it from my girlfriend! haha. But thanks again for all of the detailed explanations everyone, this was just a fun question to bat around for discussion, and once we got rolling, I couldn't help but press the issue because I really didn't have that much information to go on at first, and hence, was confused as to the overall logistics of the situation!

I may or may not attempt to gather further info from a factory at some point, but for now I think that I'm satisfied with the realities of the matter, and I'll be moving on a slightly different topic in a thread a plan to start shortly. I appreciate all of your continued help!

Take care!