2nd gen TL to TSX

Search this Thread

Old 12-26-2006 | 09:27 AM
Money is funny.

2nd gen TL to TSX

I've been debating a LOT lately if I wanna go from a 2nd gen TL to a TSX or not. The big reason is that it's fun to drive and it comes in stick with navi, but the big clincher is the mileage. I like to not fill up on gas as much as i can, and going down two cylinders would probably be awesome...

But has anyone went from the 2nd gen TL to a TSX? Any complaints on power? I am looking into a 6mt...just worried that it's gonna suck losing about 25 crank hp...
Old 12-26-2006 | 10:37 AM
Senior Moderator

Welcome! I assume you've driven the TSX since you said it's fun to drive - what were your impressions? I got a TSX after having always driven V6s, and while there is some difference, the TSX is still faster than my other cars even though it's a 4 banger. It's a pretty strong 4 banger IMO . Plus, like you said, it's very fun to drive and the gas mileage is nice.
Old 12-26-2006 | 10:43 AM
Money is funny.

I have driven an 04 in stick, and the shifter is as fun to shift as the 01 s2k i used to have...same tranny maybe? It handled a HELLUVA lot better than the TL in the twisties! MUCH less body roll! And in all honesty, I like to the look of the TSX better. But it's been awhile since I have had that little horsepower. Since the beginning of my driving experiences, I have only goneup in power from car to car, but the TSX has so much goin for it...

Also, do you have 6mt and navi?

What other cars do you have in your stable? And i assume the TSX is more reliable than the 2nd gen tl's? Any problems I should ask the dealer for?
Old 12-26-2006 | 10:51 AM
Pro

I think you'll be pleased with the TSX. My friend has a TL-S and he's said that if he ever parted with his TL, he'd replace it with a TSX. It is a very predictable and responsive car. The ride is certainly more active than the TL, but I'd never say it's harsh. It is best described as a very refined but firm ride. I suppose that is the price you pay for superb handling

My TSX is a 6 speed and it is more than quick enough for me. Though I have a hard time keeping pace with my other friend's VW GTI (hehe), my TSX still gave me a 0-60 of 6.88 according to my G-Tech. I consider that to be very spirited performance.

The TL is definitely more roomy, so be prepared for a smaller cabin. This is amplified by the fact that the beltline on the TSX is much higher than the TL--you feel like you're boxed in a little more with the TSX.
Old 12-26-2006 | 11:06 AM
Senior Moderator

Originally Posted by poohlikeshunny
I have driven an 04 in stick, and the shifter is as fun to shift as the 01 s2k i used to have...same tranny maybe? It handled a HELLUVA lot better than the TL in the twisties! MUCH less body roll! And in all honesty, I like to the look of the TSX better. But it's been awhile since I have had that little horsepower. Since the beginning of my driving experiences, I have only goneup in power from car to car, but the TSX has so much goin for it...

Also, do you have 6mt and navi?

What other cars do you have in your stable? And i assume the TSX is more reliable than the 2nd gen tl's? Any problems I should ask the dealer for?
Nope, I have an '04 5AT non-nav. I really wish I had the nav, though. I bought mine used and had a hard time finding nav, so I got what I could get my hands on for the price I wanted to pay. I can't complain, it's a really great car. I came from all American-made V6s - a Bonneville, a Chrysler Concorde, a Chrysler Cirrus, and a Chrysler Sebring (all my parents cars that I borrowed or were handed down to me). The TSX is the first car I bought myself and is by far my favorite.

I've had no problems so far with mine, save for a sunroof rattle but that's small beans compared to a tranny or other serious problem.

Would you be looking for new or used? The '06 and '07 TSXs got a small power upgrade and might be worthwhile to you since you're concerned about the power being too little for you. If you hurry, you can get the special financing rate that's available until 1/2/07.
Old 12-26-2006 | 11:25 AM
Money is funny.

I was looking for used. I do have cash for it, but I have 28k in cash to use and I wanted to save as much as I could for the Hondata mod as well. LuvMyTSX, what is this special financing rate for the new ones you are talking about? Would it be worth taking advantage of it to save a few thou for the hondata chip?

Junktionfet, what do you think of the difference between the TSX stock system and the 2nd gen TL stock system? I think my TL could use a lil more low end juice, but other than that pretty good. I've heard some people say the TSX can be a lil tinny...what do you think?
Old 12-26-2006 | 11:51 AM
Racer

Originally Posted by junktionfet
I think you'll be pleased with the TSX. My friend has a TL-S and he's said that if he ever parted with his TL, he'd replace it with a TSX. It is a very predictable and responsive car. The ride is certainly more active than the TL, but I'd never say it's harsh. It is best described as a very refined but firm ride. I suppose that is the price you pay for superb handling

My TSX is a 6 speed and it is more than quick enough for me. Though I have a hard time keeping pace with my other friend's VW GTI (hehe), my TSX still gave me a 0-60 of 6.88 according to my G-Tech. I consider that to be very spirited performance.

The TL is definitely more roomy, so be prepared for a smaller cabin. This is amplified by the fact that the beltline on the TSX is much higher than the TL--you feel like you're boxed in a little more with the TSX.
Exactally what he said.
Old 12-26-2006 | 12:05 PM
Money is funny.

what's the average mileage you guys have been getting>?
Old 12-26-2006 | 12:22 PM
Racer

27-30 Mostly City driving. On Highway trips like over this weekend I was getting 34 or so according to the navi trip computer. I dont think I have ever gotten less than a 26mpg average even with very spirited drives though the hills and twistys around here. If I drive to and from work and some side trips, I commute about 15 miles and normally fill up every 1 and a half to 2 weeks, which is one of the reasons I drive the TSX.
Old 12-26-2006 | 12:45 PM
Money is funny.

holy crap! it's been awhile since I've thought about numbers like that...i get about 20mpg city with my tl and that's where i usually am...i fill up about twice a week...1 1/2 to 2 weeks between fillups? that's a freakin luxury to me! I hate fillingup gas! Have you been able to compare your stock system witht hat of the second gen tl?
Old 12-26-2006 | 01:02 PM
Have camera, will travel

I post similar gas mileage numbers. As long as the motor is broken in, you should get upwards of 35mpg on continuous freeway driving.

Definitely get the MT in the TSX. IMO, it's just a better car performance wise with the manual. You'll maximize what power the car does have with the MT.
Old 12-26-2006 | 01:11 PM
Guinea Pig

I think your only grip will be less power and maybe more cabin noise. You will love everything else about it. Especially the Nav. I wish I could have sex with my nav I love it so much.
Old 12-26-2006 | 01:23 PM
Money is funny.

hahaha...thanx...i think you guys just helped me and the wife make our decision...we're going to go with a TSX next week instead of another tl...hopefully we can find one with 6mt and navi, i've heard it's hard too find
Old 12-26-2006 | 01:54 PM
Pro

Junktionfet, what do you think of the difference between the TSX stock system and the 2nd gen TL stock system? I think my TL could use a lil more low end juice, but other than that pretty good. I've heard some people say the TSX can be a lil tinny...what do you think?
I can't speak for earlier TSXs, but my '06 has a very nice sound system, especially considering it is just an in-house system. It looks like it uses Pioneer drivers. It has no shortage of bass--a pretty respectable amount of deep bass along with some pretty decent punch. At first I thought it sounded a little sizzly on the top end, but some break-in time as well as setting the Treble to "-1" balances everything out.
Old 12-26-2006 | 02:09 PM
08 MDX with Sports

Your going from BOAT like ride to TSX and 5spd automagic to 6spd...
Old 12-26-2006 | 02:18 PM
Money is funny.

boatlike ride is very much what it is...but i was driving my mom's 98 ML for the longest time, so when i got the tl it felt like a race car...i can only imagine driving around a lil go kart like the TSX!

Good to know the system is good. I don't really wanna drop any loot into a system. So I've been looking online and it seems to be near impossible to find a TSX with 6mt and navi...wish me luck!
Old 12-26-2006 | 02:34 PM
mmmmmm....

Originally Posted by L1StarTSX
27-30 Mostly City driving. On Highway trips like over this weekend I was getting 34 or so according to the navi trip computer. I dont think I have ever gotten less than a 26mpg average even with very spirited drives though the hills and twistys around here. If I drive to and from work and some side trips, I commute about 15 miles and normally fill up every 1 and a half to 2 weeks, which is one of the reasons I drive the TSX.
Thats pretty high fro city driving. I think the average for most people were around 22-25. I seen lower and I seen higher but that sounds about right.
Old 12-26-2006 | 03:13 PM
Money is funny.

22-25 is still better than 18-20...only thing i don't find luxurious about most luxury cars is that the bigger the engine themore time you gotta spend filling up...is it just me? Or does anyone else prefer to NOT have to fill up their tank once a week or more?

Also, I've been perusing the threads and seems like CAI, headers, exhaust and hondata are the only power mods...anything I'm missing? what kind of numbers do people usually see with those mods? I would ideally like to have my TSX as powerful as the TL it is replacing
Old 12-26-2006 | 04:40 PM
mmmmmm....

22-25 is still better than 18-20...only thing i don't find luxurious about most luxury cars is that the bigger the engine themore time you gotta spend filling up...is it just me? Or does anyone else prefer to NOT have to fill up their tank once a week or more?

Also, I've been perusing the threads and seems like CAI, headers, exhaust and hondata are the only power mods...anything I'm missing? what kind of numbers do people usually see with those mods? I would ideally like to have my TSX as powerful as the TL it is replacing
I fill it up every two weeks. You got most of them right but still shit load of mods that can power up our cars. UR pulleys, Random Catback, SS, and etc. You should definatly check out the mod and performance section, there is huge thread about new SS(RedShift Motorsports Supercharger) coming out sometime this year. I think this SS setup should able to smoke Tl without a problem.
https://acurazine.com/forums/showthr...4&page=5&pp=25
Old 12-26-2006 | 05:49 PM
Senior Moderator

poohlikeshunny - I believe the special APR right now is like 3.9% or 4.9%, something like that. It only goes till 1/2/07, so that doesn't leave much time to decide on new or used, but good luck with whichever you choose. 6mt with nav will be pretty tough to find used.

I get 25-27 mpg in what I guess is "mixed" driving, though I'm rarely on a highway. I'm usually on back roads in suburbia with traffic and lights, etc. As long as you don't do a lot of jack-rabbit starts, your gas mileage should be really good.
Old 12-26-2006 | 09:22 PM
3rd Gear

I went from a TL to a TSX, the TSX is a good choice for moving from a TL. I was suprised by the horsepower this engine puts out! -the TSX reminds me a lot of my TL.
Old 12-27-2006 | 12:54 AM
Racer

Originally Posted by S14 n Tsx
Thats pretty high fro city driving. I think the average for most people were around 22-25. I seen lower and I seen higher but that sounds about right.
Ive never gone lower than 25mpg in city driving since I bought the car. I have always put nothing lower than 93 octane as well. A co-worker just bought an 07 and they are averaging about the same since getting out of the break in period.
Old 12-27-2006 | 01:17 AM
Driver/Detailer

it's about 23-25 in the city, and 33 on the highway for me.
Old 12-27-2006 | 02:45 PM
mmmmmm....

Originally Posted by L1StarTSX
Ive never gone lower than 25mpg in city driving since I bought the car. I have always put nothing lower than 93 octane as well. A co-worker just bought an 07 and they are averaging about the same since getting out of the break in period.
do you have a AT or MT?