2008 TSX Headrests

Search this Thread

Old 06-07-2008, 09:18 AM
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question 2008 TSX Headrests

I posted this in the Problem/Fixes category, but received few responses, and here I notice more opinion on the seats, so I thought I would try again.

I bought an '08 CGP/Ebony w/ Navi in April and have found that the headrests are extremely uncomfortable in the sense that they are very far away from my head (my primary issue with the car). Compared to my previous car (Volvo) and even my fiancee's 07 Santa Fe, the distance between the driver's head and the headrest is not nearly as far as on the TSX. This is not to say that I want to drive with my head on the headrest (I understand those who note they are only there for safety), but given the distance between the head and the headrest, the headrests don't do much in a collision. This statement regarding a collision is not theory, but fact based on a small rear-end collision in which I was rear-ended.

With that said:
- Does anyone find the headrest distance to the person's head uncomfortable?
- Does anyone get fatigued on long drives because of this problem?
- Has anyone corrected this with an aftermarket headrest or a headrest from a different model Acura (which are designed differently)?

Thanks!
Old 06-07-2008, 11:59 AM
Racer

I prefer a headrest that does not touch my head while driving. But, most of my driving is on roads that requires constant rotation of the head and full alertness. It is not uncommon for me to be looking at the road ahead out of the driver's window. No time to relax nor to feel relaxed. It would likely be different if I lived in Texas -- or most anywhere where there are real cowboys.
Old 06-07-2008, 12:40 PM
it's a car-drive it

Received 262 Likes on 199 Posts
i also prefer a headrest that does not touch my head while driving. I find my 06 tsx to a very comfortable riding car-especially long distance. Have been on two long distance roadtrips. May 07 NC to Yellowstone and back (18 states-6,177 miles) and May this year NC to San Diego and back (22 states, 6,542 miles) I also travel from NC to NJ and back every few weeks (635 miles one way).
Old 06-07-2008, 12:43 PM
CGP Ebony

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
Lightbulb

I agree, I like it that they don't touch my head because I'm driving and paying attention.

Plus the headrests are there as part of the Safety Restraint System so I'm stick with OEM IMHO.
Old 06-07-2008, 01:00 PM
Burning Brakes

Received 378 Likes on 262 Posts
Originally Posted by calcio22
With that said:
- Does anyone find the headrest distance to the person's head uncomfortable?
- Does anyone get fatigued on long drives because of this problem?
- Has anyone corrected this with an aftermarket headrest or a headrest from a different model Acura (which are designed differently)?

Thanks!
I am not too sure about the headrest, but for me I find the upper half of the seat doesn't fit my posture that well so my neck get tensed after long drive. When that happens, I wish the headrest was closer to my head.

As a side note, I notice the seats on more recent Honda vehicles which receive good IIHS rear-end crash rating are much more comfortable for me. The upper half of the seat and the headrest just fit me better.

From this discussion, the headrest on the new Accord fits 1st gen TSX. You can try if it works better.

http://www.driveaccord.net/forums/sh...ad.php?t=13994
Old 06-07-2008, 06:23 PM
Advanced

Sonyfever.
Thanks! While my primary complaint is the headrest I find the same issue for the upper part of the seat, as shoulder support is also lacking but bearable. Acura solved (IMO) the uppser seat and headrest problem in the seat design for the RDX and MDX (have not rode in a TL or 09 TSX). I went through the Accord thread, but didn't see where the 8th generation Accord headrests fit the 08 TSX? Did I miss something?
Old 06-08-2008, 12:02 AM
Burning Brakes

Received 378 Likes on 262 Posts
Originally Posted by calcio22
Sonyfever.
Thanks! While my primary complaint is the headrest I find the same issue for the upper part of the seat, as shoulder support is also lacking but bearable. Acura solved (IMO) the uppser seat and headrest problem in the seat design for the RDX and MDX (have not rode in a TL or 09 TSX). I went through the Accord thread, but didn't see where the 8th generation Accord headrests fit the 08 TSX? Did I miss something?
Hi calcio22,

Post #3 only says the headrest of 7th Accord fits 8th. But I think it's safe to derive that the headrest of 8th Accord fit 1st gen TSX because:

1) The compatibility should hold true vice versa, since the main issue is how wide the gap between the two rails is.
2) As far as I can tell, 7th Accord and 1st gen TSX share the same seat design.
Old 06-08-2008, 09:30 AM
Advanced

Thanks. Since the 8th Generation Accord headrests fit, I wonder if the 09 TSX fits as well. I suppose I'll need to head out to the Honda and Acura dealerships to see if either headrests make a difference as well.

Thanks for all your help!