2006 Used TSX and dealers

Search this Thread

Old 06-18-2009, 10:04 PM
Pro

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
Thanks everyone for your suggestions. I don't want to lease a car because I tend to drive my cars to the ground (or close to it) and don't like throwing money away. I do most of the repairs myself so keeping a car for a long while doesn't cost me alot. I drove to Bridgewater Acura which was 80 miles away from my location and was disappointed in two of their cars. So I definitely won't fly somewhere and then have to fly back. The last one was supposed to have been repaired and they only did half the work and then damaged the front bumper.

I am very picky with my selection, looking at either CGP or silver with a gray interior so that makes it very limited to what is around.

Danny, I just don't know any people in the business that are in my area so how could I approach a used dealer with a request like this? I have a feeling that they would just end up popping me for the value they would be selling it to someone else. I do have a friend's friend (who also knows me) who works at a dealership as a sales manager. The last time I went to him asking him to find a car at auction, he pulled up autotrader and found what the prices were going for and said to expect to pay around what they are up on the site after detailing and fixing the car up so I know that I wasn't going to get a good deal.

I also tried looking at a few Accord but those guys seem to be more firm with their prices then the Acura dealers.
Old 06-18-2009, 10:33 PM
Still Lovin my 06

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by npolite
Thanks everyone for your suggestions. I don't want to lease a car because I tend to drive my cars to the ground (or close to it) and don't like throwing money away. I do most of the repairs myself so keeping a car for a long while doesn't cost me alot. I drove to Bridgewater Acura which was 80 miles away from my location and was disappointed in two of their cars. So I definitely won't fly somewhere and then have to fly back. The last one was supposed to have been repaired and they only did half the work and then damaged the front bumper.

I am very picky with my selection, looking at either CGP or silver with a gray interior so that makes it very limited to what is around.

Danny, I just don't know any people in the business that are in my area so how could I approach a used dealer with a request like this? I have a feeling that they would just end up popping me for the value they would be selling it to someone else. I do have a friend's friend (who also knows me) who works at a dealership as a sales manager. The last time I went to him asking him to find a car at auction, he pulled up autotrader and found what the prices were going for and said to expect to pay around what they are up on the site after detailing and fixing the car up so I know that I wasn't going to get a good deal.

I also tried looking at a few Accord but those guys seem to be more firm with their prices then the Acura dealers.
i have a friend that is a manager at a honda dealership near princeton nj. i don't know if he can help you out...
Old 06-18-2009, 10:45 PM
Racer

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Here's a place for you to call:

www.highlineimports.com
1-888-277-2596

The price of the car is the winning bid + Manheim fee (around $300-350) + 5% service fee. Check out the website and give them a call....

Montgomeryville Acura pays about $16,000. + Manheim fee for a 2006 TSX . I am sure they don't spend $4,000 for reconditioning and certification to resell the TSX for $ 21,000. A highend detailer can do wonders for $300. to remove swirls and other issues....much better than the $ 199. special dealers charge.

$ 300. detailing to finish what the seller or Auction company didn't do

$ 250 for new front brake pads and rotor machining

$ 300 to remove a couple dings on 3 panels

$ 1,100 to buy 4/48k zero deductible Acura Care warranty online

$ 100 parts for DYI maintenance

I get a total of $ 19,200. for everything shown above. Much less than the $ 21,000 asking price.

Auction Service
The wholesale auto auction marketplace is where wholesale buyers and sellers meet to quickly and efficiently exchange automobiles. Through competitive bidding, licensed automotive dealers purchase vehicles from manufacturers, financial institutions, leasing companies, and other dealers. Often more than 5,000 cars will be sold on a typical auction day....truly an incredible sight!
Highline’s auction buying service provides you, the retail buyer with direct access to this exciting process that ensures you the best selection and the best available pricing.
  • Simply contact us and provide your desired make, model, year, color, options, etc. If you need help deciding upon the right car for you, we will gladly make some suggestions based upon our vast experiences.

• Using proprietary auction history software, we can advise you of the results of recent actual auction transactions, thus allowing you to obtain a realistic price range for the car you seek. Once your car is located in an upcoming auction, we will inspect and purchase the car for you.

• The price you pay is the actual winning bid and auction house fee, plus a nominal 5% service fee.
    NO HIDDEN CHARGES.

Highline is centrally located to over five major auctions, and due to the excellent selection of cars and very fair pricing we are committed to attending the "Exotic" sales at these major events,including the "Crown Jewel" auction located in Manheim, Pennsylvania.

The monthly Exotic sale in Manheim, Pennsylvania will consist of 4,000 to 7,000 late model imported cars and SUVs. The following breakdown offers an illustration of the types of cars commonly available:
Audi and Volkswagon products are available for sale through Volkswagon Credit and Chase Manhattan bank. There are roughly 400 Audi Quattros available at each sale with most being 2 and 3 year lease returns in nice condition. VW also offers approximately 300 units at each sale.

BMW
will usually offer approximately 500 units. Most of these are coming off of 24 or 36 month leases. Good clean examples of most models are usually available with mileage ranging from the teens to the upper 40’s.

Jaguar
and Land Rover continually bring 400 to 500 units to each sale. Most are low mileage lease returns with several new to 12 month old cars mixed in. There are quite a few very nice cars that are clearly excellent values in these product lines.

Mercedes Benz account for about 500 to 600 cars at every auction. Increasing numbers of 2000 and newer models are appearing in “as new” condition. Best values are in the “E” and “S” class cars, with 36 month lease turn-ins in excellent condition selling for less than 50% of their original price. 98 and 99 models are an even better value and we can still find many in like new condition. All model years of the SL roadster are also available in significant quantities at a fraction of their 90K+ price new. Ask us about the incredible AMG-built super Benzes.

Porsche
is always represented with more than 100 cars including many Boxsters, all years and configuration of 911s, and even some turbos, 928s, and Cayennes. Most are in excellent condition with low mileage, books, and service records.

Toyota and Lexus offer up to 500 luxury automobiles and sport utility vehicles at every sale. Most of these cars are 3 year lease returns in very good condition. Some very low mileage LS430 and ES300 cars in new condition represent excellent opportunities compared to what the Lexus dealers ask for similar vehicles on their lots. Most colors and options are available.

Saabs
and Volvos usually number around 800 units with most being 3 year lease returns from Chase and Banc One Leasing. Many 9-3 convertibles and 9-5 sedans are in good condition and most colors are available. The majority of these cars sell for several thousand dollars less than wholesale book and represent good Swedish car bargains.

Last edited by dannyboy10; 06-18-2009 at 10:47 PM.
Old 06-18-2009, 10:58 PM
Racer

Npolite,

For what it's worth, American Honda Finance auctions off as many as 400 Honda vehicles every Wed. at Manheim's Bordentown, NJ location. I am sure you will find a 2006 Honda Accord there if you can be happy with more than 2 or 3 colors for that model year.

$ 12,000 winning bid will get you a four cylinder graphite gray 2006 Accord EX (not LX). The trick is to buy one that still has a couple months or some mileage left on the 3/36k warranty so that you can buy a Honda Care warranty online.

$12,000 is $4,000 less than a $ 16,000 TSX.....money for mods ???
Old 06-19-2009, 07:43 AM
Senior Moderator

Received 13 Likes on 11 Posts

There are 5 silver, cgp, and white TSXs at Precision Acura right now. I just checked last night.
Old 06-19-2009, 10:14 AM
Pro

Originally Posted by LuvMyTSX
There are 5 silver, cgp, and white TSXs at Precision Acura right now. I just checked last night.
Thanks. I just checked and their 06 all have a black interior.
Old 06-19-2009, 11:45 AM
Racer

Npolite,

Here's a post I came across in audiworld.com:

Hi all, sorry about the second semi-spam post after my recent warranty post. But now that over 20 people on AW have cars that I got for them, and no one has threatened to kill me yet as a result, I've decided to roll out my Buy-To-Order program below. As usual, if you have any questions not answered below, feel free to call (856-912-2600) or email me (brucem105@comcast.net).

This program is for used cars only, obviously, as I am not a franchised new-car dealer. And I can not perform miracles (yet); no "barn finds", no "$40,000 mint car for $20,000", and if they only made two of them in the world I probably can't find it either. But I do get really nice cars, to your specifications, at very good prices. So you'll get a great car for a great price. Most of all, though, the worry of "was it hit?", "was it painted?", "is something wrong with it that's not disclosed?", "is the price fair?", and all the other usual hassles and worries when buying a used car are eliminated in this program. I may not be a genius, but I am honest and I do the right thing by my customers.

I can get any make and model, not just Audis, so if you are looking for a non-Audi (blasphemy, I know), I can help you. And there's usually enough to be saved that distance is not a problem, as I also get great rates on transport anywhere in the USA.

So here it is:

Here's a little about me:
I have been involved in buying, collecting, restoring, and selling cars for over 20 years. I specialize in German marques and exotics, but am versed reasonably well in just about anything. I am a licensed car dealer in New Jersey (Becks Imports LLC, 2345 Highway 9, Toms River, NJ 08755, DMV LIC# 03476U), bonded, and fully insured. I own the dealership. I buy about 90% of my cars to order for customers looking for specific vehicles, and 10% just because it's something I like, want to drive for a while, and then sell. I also offer complete mechanical & cosmetic repairs and restorations. Finally, I can provide discounted parts, accessories, transport, and extended warranties. My advice, usually long-winded, is free.

I can provide over 100 references from people that have purchased cars from me, and all are very happy. I am active on the internet forums, car clubs, am a track driving instructor, and just set up a web site (www.becksimports.com). I am also active selling on ebay under the userID: mr-amazing-deals. I have excellent feedback on ebay, and an excellent reputation everywhere else. I work hard to make sure I deliver a great car at a fair price, and I always go above and beyond the call of duty to make sure my customers are happy. I am a "car guy" first, a dealer second, so I always can think as an enthusiast and deliver accordingly. The cars I buy are bought with my own money, sit in my driveway and garage, and I drive them all and know them all inside and out. No big lot where nobody knows anything, and no salespeople; there's just me.

Here's a little about the process:
We discuss the type of car you are interested in, and work up a range of years, colors, mileages, options, etc that would be a fit for you. We go over condition requirements, and anything that you would not accept in a car. From there, I send out my Buyer's Contract, and you review it and sign, as I do. I also send you a copy of my dealer license for your comfort as "Exhibit A". Then we create an "Exhibit B" that lists what I am going to get for you, and you leave a deposit equal to roughly 10% of the anticipated purchase price of the car.

From there, I go shopping for you. I look in all the normal places, but since I am a dealer I go to the off-lease and finance returns auctions for the largest banks, credit unions, auto finance companies, and dealers. These cars are released at dealer-only auctions, the largest being Manheim. Manheim has auctions all over the USA that I have access to, but luckily for me, their largest (by far) auction is in Manheim, PA, which is about 75 miles from my house! This means when I go there with your shopping list, I can physically inspect, test-drive, paint meter, VIN# check, and otherwise poke and prod the cars myself.

The Tuesday night before the high-line auction (it takes place every other Thursday), I send you a list of cars coming up that might be a fit. We go over the list, and narrow down to some possible candidates. I then go to the auction on Wednesday, the day before the auction, and look over the cars. I let you know condition and options, any flaws, and we then decide which cars, if any, are worth buying, and I go after the closest fit to your requirements up to your pre-determined purchase price.

Cost:
My fee is 5% above what I pay at the auction after auction fee, with a minimum fee of $1000. Dealers typically mark up their used cars 25%-35%, so you can see there is some serious money to be saved. On top of that, I am standing right next to the buyers from the franchised dealerships, bidding on the same cars. So there is NO difference between a car you'll get from me, and a car you'd get from a franchised dealer.....except the price. If you want or need anything else done to the car prior to delivery to you (or you are welcome to come and pick it up of course), like tires, detailing, extended warranty, transport, paintless dent removal, etc, I get that done for you as well and you pay what I pay plus 5% (and I get great rates due to how much business I do with my "network", so your prices are very good even after the 5% markup). Then you pay the balance for the car, and she's yours!

I can send you my agreement and a copy of my dealer license if you email me and are interested in working with me. Feel free to email or call with any questions, and again, if you have any reservations about buying sight-unseen or working with a shady used car dealer like myself, I'd be happy to give you references from many people that have done just that. No one has been disappointed. Remember that while I have a 10% deposit from you, I am paying the other 90% with my own money, so there is no way I am buying a lousy car that I might get stuck with.

Thanks for listening.

Bruce Mendel
Becks Imports LLC
856-912-2600 Cell
brucem105@comcast.net
Old 06-19-2009, 07:48 PM
Pro

Thanks Dan for the information. I did get a call tonight from one dealership which may be promising. If this doesn't pan out, I'm going to go this route and contact the person.

Nick
Old 06-20-2009, 02:41 PM
it's a car-drive it

Received 262 Likes on 199 Posts
Since I will be passing by Bridgewater Acura on my way to get my tsx serviced in Pa I want to see how bad the used cars they have there (curiosity)
Old 06-21-2009, 08:32 AM
Pro

Let me know what you find out NJ. I noticed a bunch of the bumpers were gouged pretty good. Also see if they drilled the license plate of some of those cars.

On a promising front, I may have found one in WV. Hopefully I can leverage the price that they gave me before on this one. It has about 32k miles but that's ok with me. If this doesn't pan out the sales manager that I know told me that he would buy the car at Manheim's auction and only charge me for the auction fee since my sister just bought a car from him yesterday.
Old 06-21-2009, 09:29 AM
it's a car-drive it

Let me know what you find out NJ. I noticed a bunch of the bumpers were gouged pretty good. Also see if they drilled the license plate of some of those cars.

On a promising front, I may have found one in WV. Hopefully I can leverage the price that they gave me before on this one. It has about 32k miles but that's ok with me. If this doesn't pan out the sales manager that I know told me that he would buy the car at Manheim's auction and only charge me for the auction fee since my sister just bought a car from him yesterday.
I will be going past Bridgewater Acura next Tuesday, the 30th to drop my tsx for service at the acura dealer in Pa, getting a loaner car, meeting up with friends, bringing back the loaner car on Wednesday and getting my car back. Yes the dealer knows my plans. I will let you know what I find at Bridgewater. My avator picture is that of the loaner car I had.
Old 06-22-2009, 08:31 AM
Senior Moderator

Received 13 Likes on 11 Posts
06 silver/quartz, non-nav, 26k miles at Park Ave. Acura in NJ

http://www.parkaveacura.com/used-inv...seHistory=true

06 cgp/quartz, navi, 39k miles at Park Ave Acura

Old 06-22-2009, 10:48 AM
Pro

Originally Posted by LuvMyTSX
06 silver/quartz, non-nav, 26k miles at Park Ave. Acura in NJ

06 cgp/quartz, navi, 39k miles at Park Ave Acura

I emailed these guys on a cgp about 2-3 weeks ago. They won't go less than 1k below what is advertised on their site. According to the sales guy, "they would be loosing money"
Old 06-28-2009, 04:28 PM
Pro

I found a CPO 06 with 25k miles at a dealership about 60 miles away just outside of Atalntic City, NJ. I've been watching the car since it appeared at the dealer in the beginning of May. When I emailed them initially up until last week the salesguy was singing me the song that they would be loosing money on it. Last week I got an email that they were willing to sell it to me at $19,000 which is what they lowered it to on their site as well. Here is the car:

http://www.boardwalkacura.com/Vehicl...9-7883951.html

I asked about the front bumper before going down and they have repainted it. I went down today to look at it and you can't even see it in any of the pictures but it has a gray and red pinstripe. It isn't the end of the world but I know they don't look great on the TSX. The bumpers fine and I could only find two minor scratches on the car which probably could be buffed out. On the interior, the side bolster on the driver's seat looked really bad. It had a huge 1/8" crease on the side. The rest of the seats looked new. I can probably get over this too. What I found when I looked underneath was another story. I noticed an abnormal amount of rust on the knuckles and exhaust system. The only thing I know is that the car was registered in NJ. I went and looked at some TSXs at my local Acura dealer and they looked a lot better with more miles than this one. Would a car that resided near the shore cause that much rust? Should I ask them to put the car on the lift for me so I can do a manual inspection of it? I don't know if I'm trying to talk myself out of buying it but the rust and the car sitting on the lot for 2 months has me a bit worried.
Old 06-29-2009, 06:13 AM
it's a car-drive it

My 06 has painted on pinstripes which I personally like having on my tsx. My seats also have creases in them-It is really hard not to have them with leather or whatever they call them. As far as rust, never really noticed any when it was on the lift at the dealer two months ago. I live near the ocean. I really think a used car is not for you-buy new.
Old 06-29-2009, 10:24 AM
Pro

Is 19k reasonable for the car or should I try for something lower? Will they be able to remove the pinstripe without causing more damage?
Old 06-29-2009, 03:25 PM
it's a car-drive it

Is 19k reasonable for the car or should I try for something lower? Will they be able to remove the pinstripe without causing more damage?
you can always try- $18,000, then $18,500. They can probably remove the pinstripes with no damage. The price does sound ok with the mileage the car has.
Old 07-05-2009, 07:49 PM
Pro

I went and took some pics of the underside today. The nuts on the tie rod and lower control arm are really concerning. I don't think we have as much rust on our 99 Accord. I did compare it to a TSX around my area and the lower control arm had some rust but the nuts were not as in bad shape as this.

http://i40.tinypic.com/256se2w.jpg
http://i40.tinypic.com/2czdog8.jpg
http://i40.tinypic.com/24opld0.jpg
http://i42.tinypic.com/73pes6.jpg
http://i39.tinypic.com/8yfka9.jpg
http://i44.tinypic.com/alj6nr.jpg
http://i43.tinypic.com/25si0.jpg
http://i39.tinypic.com/win77d.jpg
http://i41.tinypic.com/v49l09.jpg
http://i39.tinypic.com/2w33j0k.jpg
http://i39.tinypic.com/23v0qxw.jpg

Here is another 06 TSX they had on the lot.
http://i43.tinypic.com/21mulw4.jpg
http://i42.tinypic.com/2j32xhe.jpg
http://i40.tinypic.com/9j1tvn.jpg

What do you think?
Old 07-11-2009, 08:04 AM
Instructor

I went and took some pics of the underside today. The nuts on the tie rod and lower control arm are really concerning. I don't think we have as much rust on our 99 Accord. I did compare it to a TSX around my area and the lower control arm had some rust but the nuts were not as in bad shape as this.

http://i40.tinypic.com/256se2w.jpg
http://i40.tinypic.com/2czdog8.jpg
http://i40.tinypic.com/24opld0.jpg
http://i42.tinypic.com/73pes6.jpg
http://i39.tinypic.com/8yfka9.jpg
http://i44.tinypic.com/alj6nr.jpg
http://i43.tinypic.com/25si0.jpg
http://i39.tinypic.com/win77d.jpg
http://i41.tinypic.com/v49l09.jpg
http://i39.tinypic.com/2w33j0k.jpg
http://i39.tinypic.com/23v0qxw.jpg

Here is another 06 TSX they had on the lot.
http://i43.tinypic.com/21mulw4.jpg
http://i42.tinypic.com/2j32xhe.jpg
http://i40.tinypic.com/9j1tvn.jpg

What do you think?

GOOD GOD MAN..... its a FRICKEN car......ANAL COMPULSIVE ORDER IS MY DIAGNOSIS.....no disrespect, seek immediate medical attention....

God help the dealer that sells and warranties a 4 year old car to you.
He will lie awake at night mumbling "WHY ME LORD?"
Old 07-11-2009, 08:28 AM
it's a car-drive it

Originally Posted by oldguytsxer
GOOD GOD MAN..... its a FRICKEN car......ANAL COMPULSIVE ORDER IS MY DIAGNOSIS.....no disrespect, seek immediate medical attention....

God help the dealer that sells and warranties a 4 year old car to you.
He will lie awake at night mumbling "WHY ME LORD?"
Love your answer-I totally agree with you
Old 07-13-2009, 08:28 AM
Pro

oldguy,

I sent the pictures to a Honda tech on DriveAccord who I value their input greatly and he looked at it and said to avoid it. The car has been sitting too long and he mentioned that if the springs on the pre-cat are rotted, a new manifold would need to be installed shortly.

It's not the rust that is of concern, rust will happen on any car, it's the amount of rust. My Integra which was 13 years old had this much rust, not on a 3 year old car. Maybe you don't do the work on your car and really don't care but if you ever worked on your car (or are located in a rustbelt), you would know how much of a pain it is to work on cars like these.
Old 07-13-2009, 03:03 PM
Instructor

Coming from Cleveland Ohio I understand rust..

Had a rusted 66 Chevelle pop the hood on a freeway in 1971 going 70....it actually wrapped around the roofline...almost sh*t myself as I was in far left lane...

Good luck with your search, settle on something and go for it...too many opinions from others will seriously cloud your decision process, you are paying the money, YOUR final decision...