2006 Used TSX and dealers

Search this Thread

Old 05-21-2009, 02:04 PM
Senior Moderator

Received 13 Likes on 11 Posts
Acura is one of the highest resale values. Buying used isn't going to help you that much.
Old 05-21-2009, 02:10 PM
Still Lovin my 06

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by krz4runner
Oh, and to get a realistic number to offer, I always use the Edmunds TMV

http://www.edmunds.com/used/2006/acura/tsx
wow. i just ran the numbers on my tsx, and it says $16 ona trade in and $18 private party. that's higher than KBB. if i change it from outstanding to "clean", it drops to 15,400 on a trade and 17,640 on a private party.

i'm amazed and so happy that they hold value so well. I'm almost all paid off!
Old 05-21-2009, 04:10 PM
Still Lovin my 06

Originally Posted by npolite
I took a look but most of the 06's are only available in the all wheel drive around my area and are going for about the same price as the TSX.

I won't touch Mazda because they use Ford parts. Also I don't like the smiling front end, what were they thinking?
not sure what is wrong with ford parts. they have plenty of well rated cars. i know the new mazda 6 got very good reviews. don't know much about the 3.
Old 05-21-2009, 04:12 PM
Still Lovin my 06

TSXFL, I appreciate the comments. I sold my Integra over a year ago so I haven't been in a hurry to get a car yet. I'm just sick of not having one. I haven't found a new car that I really like, most of the new cars including the Accord, I have difficulty seeing out the rear driver's window. I've been saved many times from sideswiping someone looking through that window so it is a deal breaker if I can't see out of it. The TSX is perfect in every way, with the exception of the leather (I don't think I'm going to like it) and the pricing. I haven't purchased a car in 12 years, and I may be way off here, but to me I still think that $18.5 for a CPO is a lot of money for an almost 4 year old car.
i don't know if you mentioned that it was CPO before, but CPO adds at least $1,500 to the price of a car. that's a pretty good deal then. what's your beef with it? you're looking at a sub 50k car that's 4 years old - what does the age have to do with anything? the car is going to go at least 200,000 miles.

heck - i'd be happy to sell you mine for $15,000, but I don't think I care to sell it.

Also - what don't you like about the leather?
Old 05-21-2009, 04:48 PM
Pro

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
Originally Posted by bradykp
i don't know if you mentioned that it was CPO before, but CPO adds at least $1,500 to the price of a car. that's a pretty good deal then. what's your beef with it? you're looking at a sub 50k car that's 4 years old - what does the age have to do with anything? the car is going to go at least 200,000 miles.

heck - i'd be happy to sell you mine for $15,000, but I don't think I care to sell it.

Also - what don't you like about the leather?
It's not the leather but more on the side bolsters which use vinyl. It shows a lot of wear especially with black. I wish it would hold up as BMW's vinyl (that's probably the only reliable thing on the car).

From what I have been told by some dealers the warranty only adds $500 to make it CPO. At least with one dealer I was offered the ability to take it off and reduce the price.

With my original posting I missed out on the car because the sales guy left before I realized what happened and the car was sold.

I have two more cars to look at before I throw the towel in and either get a Camry or a Sonata. I'll update everyone in about a week. Going to check out one of them tonight.
Old 05-21-2009, 08:19 PM
Pro

I went to check the one tonight at Montgomeryville Acura. While it may not be a big deal to have tinted windows about 75% of the people that I have seen on the forums don't stop there. They either lower the springs or do some other sort of modding. I don't want to take any chances so I didn't even get out of the car. We'll see how the other one goes, hopefully they have it in by now and I can get more information or go looking at it tomorrow.
Old 05-22-2009, 07:22 AM
Senior Moderator

I stopped with tint. You never know, but I guess if you aren't comfortable getting it, then don't.

Since you like the TSX so much, why don't you get an Accord instead of a Camry or Sonata? An Accord will drive much more similarly to a TSX than either of those choices.
Old 05-22-2009, 08:04 AM
it's a car-drive it

Received 262 Likes on 199 Posts
^^^^^^^^
In his list of cars his sister owns an accord so I sure he is knows how it drives. My mom owns an 08 accord-prefer my tsx. the sonata (which we also owned) is more like the accord
Old 05-22-2009, 10:42 AM
Pro

My sister has had too many issues with her 08 Accord and the size both length and width is too big of a car for me. I can't get over the interior of the Civic so that's out too.
Old 05-23-2009, 03:31 PM
Pro

Update: Bridgewater sold the 07 the night before I put the offer in. They posted pictures of the 06 and the rims are scratched quite a bit. I'm wondering if there could be potential alignment issues. They assured me that they will fix/replace them as well as repainting the bumpers. They want a deposit to hold the car but I really don't want to give it unless I can get the full amount back should there be something I am not happy with the car.

I'm thinking more that maybe used isn't for me and I should go for a new Sonata. The only problem is that the 4cyl with sunroof is almost impossible to find. I checked within 100 miles and couldn't find a dealer that has one.
Old 05-23-2009, 03:34 PM
Pro

Here is the link at the rims...should I avoid it?

http://ps.getauto.com/slideshow/js/J...28/1024x768/13
Old 05-23-2009, 04:08 PM
it's a car-drive it

Update: Bridgewater sold the 07 the night before I put the offer in. They posted pictures of the 06 and the rims are scratched quite a bit. I'm wondering if there could be potential alignment issues. They assured me that they will fix/replace them as well as repainting the bumpers. They want a deposit to hold the car but I really don't want to give it unless I can get the full amount back should there be something I am not happy with the car.

I'm thinking more that maybe used isn't for me and I should go for a new Sonata. The only problem is that the 4cyl with sunroof is almost impossible to find. I checked within 100 miles and couldn't find a dealer that has one.
looks like curb rash to me which does not mean a bad alignment. Otherwise the car looks nice. If you are that worried get it in writing that the problems will be fixed before you take final delivery or your deposit will be returned. If you want perfection, used is not good for you
Old 05-23-2009, 04:11 PM
Team Owner

Received 54 Likes on 27 Posts
Here is the link at the rims...should I avoid it?

http://ps.getauto.com/slideshow/js/J...28/1024x768/13
It's a little hard to tell just cause of the quality of the pictures, but I can still see the scratches.

Here's my advice:
Unless you are SUPER SUPER careful, I'd say curbing your wheels at least once or twice in the life of your car is just unavoidable. It is somewhat noticeable, but if the scratches on the wheels are the only thing, don't let that keep you from getting the car if it is a good deal, and you are sold on it.

The TSX is a great car.
I have that same combo (CGP/'06) and I love the car. I have had it for 2 and a half years now, and I still baby that thing like the day I got it. I've gotten some scratches on my wheels, and yes I was SUPER pissed. But at the end of the day, you got to remember that it is a car. Even being really careful things happen some times.

If nothing else, if it really bothered you, you can find OEM TSX wheels for pretty cheap. I've even seen some that were in really good condition being sold in the black market section of the forum. I want to say under $200.

My suggestion?
Go for it.
Old 05-23-2009, 04:23 PM
it's a car-drive it

I second that-go for it. great cars.
Old 05-23-2009, 05:49 PM
Senior Moderator

The car looks to be in very good condition. Curbed wheels are extremely common and does not mean anything. Go for it. Just make sure you do a Car Check and Car Fax first.
Old 05-23-2009, 09:56 PM
Pro

Originally Posted by LuvMyTSX
The car looks to be in very good condition. Curbed wheels are extremely common and does not mean anything. Go for it. Just make sure you do a Car Check and Car Fax first.
Yep I ran an Autocheck and it came clean. The Carfax looks good too.
Old 05-24-2009, 07:37 AM
it's a car-drive it

keep hesitating and that car will be sold.
Old 05-24-2009, 06:13 PM
Pro

One other thing I noticed on the cluster is the "i" indicator is on....does this usually indicate an issue or is simply because the seat belt isn't on?

http://ps.getauto.com/slideshow/js/J...28/1024x768/15
Old 05-24-2009, 06:32 PM
it's a car-drive it

One other thing I noticed on the cluster is the "i" indicator is on....does this usually indicate an issue or is simply because the seat belt isn't on?

It is indicating the seat belt is not being used. Note the red seat belt

Last edited by nj2pa2nc; 05-24-2009 at 06:34 PM.
Old 05-24-2009, 07:04 PM
Team Owner

Received 54 Likes on 27 Posts

Also, if the door is open, that little 'i' will be on.
It's not just if something with the engine, etc is wrong. It comes on for just about anything.

When it's time for a service/oil change, when your door is open, if your seat belt isn't on, if the fuel cap isn't tight, if you're low on fuel.

Just about anything.

Nothing to be worried about.
Old 05-25-2009, 11:41 AM
Pro

Ok I put a deposit down on it. The bumper needs to be painted so it should take a day or two and then I'll be able to go and look at it. If all checks out then I'll be getting it for 18,750 (CPO) + TTL which is about what the private party price on KBB is going for.
Old 05-25-2009, 12:21 PM
it's a car-drive it

hope everything works out for you. Still loving my now 2 1/2 year old 06 tsx.
Old 05-27-2009, 12:40 PM
Still Lovin my 06

It's not the leather but more on the side bolsters which use vinyl. It shows a lot of wear especially with black. I wish it would hold up as BMW's vinyl (that's probably the only reliable thing on the car).

From what I have been told by some dealers the warranty only adds $500 to make it CPO. At least with one dealer I was offered the ability to take it off and reduce the price.

With my original posting I missed out on the car because the sales guy left before I realized what happened and the car was sold.

I have two more cars to look at before I throw the towel in and either get a Camry or a Sonata. I'll update everyone in about a week. Going to check out one of them tonight.
i know what you mean. the side bolsters do show some wear, but i condition them constantly and it helps a lot. and i don't do it as often as i could.

everything i've read in different car mags and consumer reports always says CPO adds around $1,500. $500 doesn't sound right, unless maybe that's all it comes to with hondas/acuras.
Old 05-27-2009, 12:44 PM
Still Lovin my 06

my rims aren't in perfect condition either. if there is alignment issues, that's only about $100 fix. i don't think you need to be concerned. i have very similar markings as in the pic you posted. it's from parallel parking, and from taking a right corner too tight once and i hit the curb at a slow speed. i've had 1 alignment since getting the car (55,000 miles on it now).
Old 05-27-2009, 01:50 PM
Pro

I'm having 2nd thoughts on the car. The door actuator issue is really starting to bother me. I don't want to get a car and have to start gutting it after 2 years. I've read that some people are on their third replacement now. My sister got an 08 Accord and it went on the driver's side at 34k miles. Luckily it was under warranty but come on an 08? My mother's 99 is 10 years old with 80k miles and doesn't have the problem, nor did my 13 year old Integra which had 130k miles when I sold it. I have until tomorrow to decide before my deposit is refunded. Maybe I need to step away from Honda for a few years until things improve.
Old 05-27-2009, 09:57 PM
it's a car-drive it

I'm having 2nd thoughts on the car. The door actuator issue is really starting to bother me. I don't want to get a car and have to start gutting it after 2 years. I've read that some people are on their third replacement now. My sister got an 08 Accord and it went on the driver's side at 34k miles. Luckily it was under warranty but come on an 08? My mother's 99 is 10 years old with 80k miles and doesn't have the problem, nor did my 13 year old Integra which had 130k miles when I sold it. I have until tomorrow to decide before my deposit is refunded. Maybe I need to step away from Honda for a few years until things improve.
If you are that worried about something going wrong than maybe you should not own a car. You have to take a chance and hopefully it will be a excellent car. No problems with my 2 1/2 year old 06 tsx with 84,000+problems. The only problem my mom had with her 08 accord was the battery had to be charged twice. I turned off her auto-headlights as she only goes on very short trips. No problems since then (a year now). The car has about 12,000 miles.
Old 05-28-2009, 09:24 AM
Senior Moderator

All makes & models are going to have a problem or two - some are bigger problems than others. I'd rather have to replace an actuator than an engine or tranny, or some other bigger problem. You never know what you are going to get with any car. Buying a Camry doesn't mean that car won't have something go wrong either, so just bite the bullet and buy the car.

FWIW, I have an 04 and have not had even one actuator replaced yet.
Old 05-28-2009, 02:54 PM
Pro

You folks are right...any car will have issues. I'm going to look at it tomorrow. As far as the price, we had agreed to $18750, but that was when their online price was $19,999. They dropped the online price down to $18,999 so what do you think should I try pushing it to $18,500?
Old 05-28-2009, 02:59 PM
Senior Moderator

I guess you could try, but $250 isn't a deal breaker IMO. Just buy it and don't look back.
Old 05-28-2009, 08:51 PM
Pro

Lov and NJ2PA I appreciate all of your comments. I've been thinking very hard about the purchase and I don't think I am going to go for it. I've read a few reviews about people having issues with their car and my gut feeling (and from the last time I looked at that banged up car) has been telling me that these guys do not check their used cars. If they posted pictures of a car and I had to tell them what needed to be fixed, what else on the underbody are they missing? I don't even think that they have changed the brake fluid, transmission fluid and oil. It just is leaving me a bad feeling.

Anyone else out there have any positive/negative comments about Bridgewater Acura in NJ?
Old 05-28-2009, 08:59 PM
Senior Moderator

What you could do is take it to a private shop and get a once over. That's what I did when I got mine, just for peace of mind.
Old 05-29-2009, 05:20 AM
it's a car-drive it

No dealings with Bridgewater Acura so I can not answer that ?. Did you look at this car in oerson. From the pictures it did not look all banged up. The brake and transmission fluids have not been changed on my car yet. I was told it was not needed (every 3 years) My rear bumper has scratches and dings from shopping carts and getting metal things out of the trunk. I used touch-up paint. I personally do not know of any private shop I would take my car to. I have all my car's service done by a acura dealer that I think is excellent.
Old 05-29-2009, 06:34 AM
Pro

I haven't looked at the car yet. I was planning on going up today. While I was there last time, I had looked at another 06 TSX and they didn't paint any of the bumpers and a piece of the insert next to the foglight was broken. I didn't even test drive it because I wasn't coming back to have a 2nd look. While I was looking at their other cars the bumpers also had scratches which makes me wonder how closely they even check these cars. I don't expect the car to be 100% free of scratches but when you are paying a premium expect at least the bumpers to be repaired (or at least I do).

My gut is telling me that they aren't checking what they are supposed to. Some other dealers even put what the changed on the carfax report. I may call him to just get the feel if any of the fluids were changed and get documentation if I decide to go up there.

BTW..the brake fluid should be changed at least every 3 years to avoid problems such as premature master cylinder failure and pistons seizing.
Old 05-29-2009, 07:10 AM
it's a car-drive it

^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
My 06 tsx will be 3 years old in November. I plan to get the brake and MT transmission fluids changed then. My car still has the original brakes, pads, rotors, battery and is properly maintained.
Old 05-29-2009, 03:53 PM
Pro

Well I went to look at it and didn't get as far as test driving the car. The idiot techs drove the front license plate screws into the bumper. The salesguy thought that the bumper was supposed to have the screws on the bumper LOL. The two rims that they promised to repair they didn't and then they wanted to pull them off another car. I also checked the transmission fluid and it was brown. I'm a bit picky but I told the guy that I'm paying above kbb private sale to have these things fixed. I sent him an email after I got home asking if they could repair the bumper, I would be in the area tomorrow to give them another chance.

I don't know if it's just this dealer or Acura's overall but when I was looking at some used 06 BMWs those cars were in pefect condition, not one scratch on the bumpers and the rims looked new.
Old 05-29-2009, 07:40 PM
Burning Brakes

Received 43 Likes on 31 Posts
Well I went to look at it and didn't get as far as test driving the car. The idiot techs drove the front license plate screws into the bumper. The salesguy thought that the bumper was supposed to have the screws on the bumper LOL. The two rims that they promised to repair they didn't and then they wanted to pull them off another car. I also checked the transmission fluid and it was brown. I'm a bit picky but I told the guy that I'm paying above kbb private sale to have these things fixed. I sent him an email after I got home asking if they could repair the bumper, I would be in the area tomorrow to give them another chance.

I don't know if it's just this dealer or Acura's overall but when I was looking at some used 06 BMWs those cars were in pefect condition, not one scratch on the bumpers and the rims looked new.
you have to remember these are pre owned cars so they are going to show some ware. it seems like it shouldn't be a problem for them to fix the bumper and wheels. don't worry about the fluid, i think it is supposed to be changed at 60k

the reason why these cars have such good resale value is because of the reliability and great warranty acura offers. your not going to get that with any bmw

that seems like a really good price, get it before some one else does

post pics once you get the car
Old 05-29-2009, 08:01 PM
Pro

He never responded back tonight so I guess he either was busy or they didn't want to fix it up. I'll continue to keep a look for one closer to my area and pursue other new cars as well. It's just a shame with this dealership, I have seen Accords in way better shape than the cars that they have on their lot.
Old 05-30-2009, 12:54 PM
it's a car-drive it

He never responded back tonight so I guess he either was busy or they didn't want to fix it up. I'll continue to keep a look for one closer to my area and pursue other new cars as well. It's just a shame with this dealership, I have seen Accords in way better shape than the cars that they have on their lot.
get an accord or bmw then.
Old 05-31-2009, 08:19 AM
it's a car-drive it

I thought you put a deposit down on the car-what happened to that.
Old 05-31-2009, 09:13 AM
Pro

Originally Posted by nj2pa2nc
I thought you put a deposit down on the car-what happened to that.
It was refunded. The agreement I had with them was for any circumstance I wasn't happy with the car I would have it refunded.

I'll find a better TSX but it will take me a bit longer to find one. I had the chance to drive a Camry yesterday as a rental and while it was nice the suspension wasn't tight. I also had the same issue (as the new Accord and Altima) with not being able to see out the rear driver's window unless I tilted the seat 15-20 degrees (I usually like driving straight up).The headrests are just too big, I may need to just order an older gen headrest and swap them out if I go the new car route.

Quick Reply: 2006 Used TSX and dealers