1 week after pickup of CG/Auto TSX

Search this Thread

Old 07-27-2003 | 05:03 PM
Advanced

1 week after pickup of CG/Auto TSX

Well, I finally got the car and it is sweet. I wanted to hold off on my comments until I had a week under my belt, so here goes.

WOW... whats not to like with this car???

Exterior is very nice...
-touches such as the subtle concave hood lines and streaking character line across the torso.
-looks very upscale yet sporty with just the right touch of chrome and aggressive stance w/ alloy wheels
-cool diffuser under the trunk
-rear fog reflectors under rear bumper
-creased top edge of front bumber to single center point
-windshield wipers are quiet... the driver side one is huge compared to the passenger side one
-Carbon Gray really mixes it up in different light settings... can be a very surprising color

Interior booootifulll....
-best part of the car IMO
-guages just perfect, legible & sporty
-quality feel to the plastics, dash.... silver trim... leather door panels... to the door panel plastics surrounding the top of the dorr where the handles are... usually these are hard... there is a sleek softness to it... to the headliner... just like the Audi A4... not fuzzy just clean
-center console plastic storage covers have a neat metalicky sheen to them
-sunglass holder is padded to buffet any unwanted noise when you have glasses in there
-2 pen holders, one under the first center console cover, the second under the second console door... easy to miss, but usefull
-all controls, from stereo to HVAC up high.... not enough cars do this... and many put the HVAC controls above the stereo... when the stereo will be much more distracting and used
-for those of you with children the LATCH system in the rear seats are marked but not overtly obvious, and fairly easy to get fingers in between the seat edges
-for the chance that you might be jacked by the mob.... the trunk has a lighted inside trunk opener
-nice thunk to door closing
-stereo is powerful with great bass

Driving....
-auto-tranny, just a joy... you can use engine breaking with crisp downshifts... if you are driving in sportshift mode and suddenly come to a stop or slow down significantly when you are in a higher gear, it will downshift for you.... ie: on highway you take an exit and come to a stop, it then will downshift to first..., just in case you forgot to downshift...so you don;t try to start off in 5th.
-engine is buttery smooth and begs to be revvvvvved... I am still before the 600 mile break-in period so it is sooooo hard not to rev this puppy
-torque is there, not gonna snap your neck... but plenty enough
-steering feels nicely weighted... maybe a feather too light
-suspension is firm without being harsh

Complaints...
-should be a bit quieter at speed in the C-pillars
-auto hvac should remember your last setting
-steering wheel controls should be lit
-sunroof controls should be similiar to the VW's... Audis... one touch... or a dial control to let you just turn in to what you want and then go back to what your doing.... bad design to have to hold it down to open and close
-remote windows down, very nice... but what about remote back up.... I guess the insurance bean counters got worried
-auto up and down all windows

Misc...
-anyone really look at that service manual... damn... oil changes, rotations, and fluids... thats it until 110,000 miles... very easy car to live with
-dealership experience at Clair was outstanding... no upsale push, quick, no fast talking... just easy... best experience I have ever had

I want to say thanks to everyone on this board for the information, the laughs, experiences, and candor. I welcome anyone that has questions particularly if you have a child and a dog like me.

I would of loved to attach a pic, but the site is not letting me... so hopefully it will let me later.

Thanks,
B.
Old 07-27-2003 | 05:19 PM
Stuck in Purgatory

Great write-up! Hopefully after the server changes are done, you will be allowed to post pictures.
Old 07-27-2003 | 05:30 PM
Pro

Clair, u must be from MA. Nice

anyways about teh HVAC remembering last setting, waht is the auto setting it goes to on each startup? seems wierd. Sounds liek a great car, guess is taht is y I am still around. U better make it sound crappy and fast- mebbe I will leave
Old 07-27-2003 | 08:19 PM
More On

Great write-up, glad you're loving it so much -- as I still am too!

I also found the info on this board (or, the old one, actually) very helpful.
I felt like I really knew the car even before I ever test-drove it (and they were right).
Old 07-27-2003 | 11:30 PM
Intermediate

-steering wheel controls should be lit
Nice summary of the TSX! I'll have to agree with you on lighting up the steering wheel controls.
Old 07-27-2003 | 11:44 PM
Instructor

don't you think that you'll soon have the locations of the steering wheel controls memorized so you can do it by feel alone?
Old 07-27-2003 | 11:48 PM
More On

Originally posted by combustible1
don't you think that you'll soon have the locations of the steering wheel controls memorized so you can do it by feel alone?
I don't think it will ever be that way, for most people.

I know it won't for me. Even if you have it "memorized," it doesn't help you when you have the wheel turned.

You might not think it happens very often that you want to go for the controls when the wheel is turned, but it does. Like, if you're in traffic, and you're on a curve, and you're stuck there for a while. Other situations too.

Believe me, it happens enough that you notice it.
Old 07-28-2003 | 12:12 AM
Burning Brakes

Re: 1 week after pickup of CG/Auto TSX

Thanks for the write-up. Since I'm awaiting and awaiting my TSX's August arrival, your and others' reviews and impressions are good for putting me into a "virtual" mode. A few questions I have are:

Huh? What's a diffuser?

-Carbon Gray really mixes it up in different light settings... can be a very surprising color

That's what I like about grey and silver cars. They are both neutral colors and blend in with about any other color. I had initially wanted the beautiful Arctic Blue, but it would have clashed with my home and landscaping.

-all controls, from stereo to HVAC up high.... not enough cars do this... and many put the HVAC controls above the stereo...

What's HVAC? heating, ventilation, air conditioning??
Old 07-28-2003 | 06:07 AM
Instructor

Re: Re: 1 week after pickup of CG/Auto TSX

Originally posted by Brad
A few questions I have are:

Huh? What's a diffuser?
It is a piece of plastic molded into a shape that helps with the air flow underneath the car. There are a few underneath one is located just under the trunk.

-all controls, from stereo to HVAC up high.... not enough cars do this... and many put the HVAC controls above the stereo...

What's HVAC? heating, ventilation, air conditioning??

Yes you are correct. Enjoy!!!
Old 07-28-2003 | 12:09 PM
Advanced

Some answers.

Yes, can't wait to post a few pics.

Brad-
it is a way of channeling air flow underneath the car, Acura put a lot of thought into looking at the airflow around the car, not only above it but below it.
CG can look anything from black, to gray, to a blueish hue
HVAC.. you answered your own question.
combustible1-
This may be true when you are driving straight and have your hands in the same position... so I guess for the most part... but as larchmont said this is many times not the case... but bottomline... it just makes sense that they should be lighted... remember when window switches used to be not lighted?
Moreace-
Clair in MA yes... I am in NH... ordered from there because they gave me a good deal, my local dealers were not willing to discount off of retail... or remotely match Clair's price, my experience with their internet Sales Manager was nothing but great.
HVAC controls... well it always defaults to front vents... I played with it a bit.... it would actually be nice if it showed you the mode it is in when you first turn on the controls... it will only do that if you click on mode... I guess I am being picky.. just seems like it should.
hard to make a car sound crappy, when it is soooooo smooooooth... no car is perfect... but this one just offers the right combination of style, usability, and reliability for the money.

another slight annoyance... trip functions should be broader... heck my 3 year old Passat has more functions... and for that matter it should be around the steering wheel not a little button on the instrument panel... man am I being anal or what...

Damn must post pics of my baby.... maybe I will throw pics of my other darling my Movie Room.

Later,
B.
Old 07-28-2003 | 12:20 PM
Instructor

i'm sorry you bought the automatic. just kidding
Old 07-28-2003 | 12:51 PM
Suzuka Master

Re: Re: 1 week after pickup of CG/Auto TSX

Originally posted by Brad
.....Huh? What's a diffuser?.....
See this article for an explanation of the diffuser.
Old 07-29-2003 | 12:38 PM
Advanced

Originally posted by donutchow
i'm sorry you bought the automatic. just kidding
I was going to buy the stick, because it was very nice and I have always owned sticks, but then I test drove the auto right after driving the stick and it was so smooth... and the sport shift really impressed me to the point to go auto. I feel like I have the best of both worlds... if I want to be more agressive in driving I throw it into sport shift... if I want to just laz it around leave it in auto mode.

But, that being said if I had an auto in my Passat I would of gone stick instead.. I like to mix it up.

B.
Old 07-29-2003 | 01:02 PM
Racer

Excellent! Another NH TSX owner. I'll keep my eyes open for your Carbon Gray streak!
Old 07-29-2003 | 01:49 PM
built for speed

Hi Brutus,

Another local poster here. I have ordered a TSX through Clair Acura as well. Just curious how long it took them to fill your order and what discount they gave you (if you're comfortable letting us know). Thanks.
Old 07-30-2003 | 12:48 AM
Cruisin'

Great post Brutus - I've had my CG/ebony/%AT/NonNavi for only a day, and I already know I made a great decision in buying the TSX versus a a4 or 325 or, god forbid an S40.........I could buy any car under $50k, but why spend it when you can use it for other things - like a nice house
Old 07-30-2003 | 10:55 AM
Advanced

Originally posted by bbbuzzy
Hi Brutus,

Another local poster here. I have ordered a TSX through Clair Acura as well. Just curious how long it took them to fill your order and what discount they gave you (if you're comfortable letting us know). Thanks.
Let me see it took about 6 weeks, when I ordered it he told me an expected date of arrival, and he was dead-on... so I expect whatever they told you, it should be pretty accurate, no bullshit. I was able to get $1000 off, and posted such on the other site when I ordered it and my sales guy Warren told me he got an overwhelming response and his sales manager could not do that good on some future sales... maybe because the car has heated up sales wise.

We should have a NH meet. I am on the seacoast Portsmouth area.... if you see me on Spaulding... in CG... then it is I... I have only seen 1 other TSX around here at it was red, and I think a woman was driving it from what I can recall.

Later,
B.
Old 07-30-2003 | 11:41 AM
Advanced

Just passed two weeks with our new CG/Ebony, AT/ w/Nav with 180 miles on the odometer. I second your comments. Our garage is now full of X's (see below). I get a very peaceful, solid, powerful feeling when I drive this car. I'm just now starting to use the sport shift feature and that's going to be a trip once I get past the breakin period. Just filled up the tank for the first time. Registered 22.1 mpg around town. The nav understands most of my commands--my wife has an accent so she has some difficulty. (I understand all of my wife's commands). I just want to add without rubbing it in that I was fortunate to get my car in just two days. Went in on a Saturday to Scottsdale Acura to look at it closely and test drove a silver one. They had a Carbon Gey on the lot and just off the truck. Bought it on Sunday. Picked it up Monday after work. I had the very same experience with the MDX in Santa Monica California. Just being in the right spot at the right time. Glad to be part of this forum and experiencing all the things that go with a new car.
Mark
Old 07-30-2003 | 01:28 PM
Burning Brakes

Originally posted by gotsand
.... (I understand all of my wife's commands).....

Old 07-30-2003 | 05:26 PM
Advanced

Originally posted by rzee

.... (I understand all of my wife's commands).....

It hurts I'm laughing so hard... and you said it so seriously.

Now if you could just pick the lock to the ball and chain

only 180 miles... what do you drive like never.. I already have well over 600 miles... break in period is finito... really playing with the sport shift.. nice to engine break... very sweet.

B.
Old 07-31-2003 | 11:39 AM
Advanced

Actually, I have over 300 miles on my ride -- I looked at the trip odometer instead of the one with all the zeros in front of it. Those suckers are really close together on the dial.
I take the bus to work every day and put the car in the Park 'n Ride (security patrolled). Lately, I've been looking for any excuse to get in the TSX and go somewhere at night when I get home. WalMart, here I come!!
My tongue was firmly planted in my cheek when I made that comment about the wife's commands. She's starting to get that TSX "feeling" that we all have. Really likes the car. Should I get one for her??
Old 08-01-2003 | 04:08 PM
Advanced

I'm not a fan of 2 carsz in the same family... does not mix it up enough. But the TSX is a pretty sweet ride.

Later,
B.