06 MT; Convincing Parents

Search this Thread

Old 12-07-2005, 02:19 PM
Still Lovin my 06

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
probably

Originally Posted by jerzpwr
my parents straight up said no when i asked if i could get a manual. Shit i wish i could have though. Their reason was that when i sell it on later ill have a easier time with an automatic than a manual. is this true?

cause of all the people out there who prefer auto. in this car segment though, i'm surprised the manual isn't more popular. i tried converting my gf, but we're getting the auto
Old 12-07-2005, 03:55 PM
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by bradykp
you proved my point about the value of money. if i had that much, i wouldn't want to pass on to my kid that a tsx to us is worth a civic to other people. that's exactly why i wouldnt get my kid a $30k car.
He's not a robot; he sounds like he'll be able to appreciate his parents' generosity and learn from it exactly in the way that you and others want him to.

When I was 17 (legal age for driving in Jersey ), I had saved up enough money to buy half a Subaru (my parents agreed to pay the other half). And then, my friend was t-boned in an Accord at about 50 mph... My parents got me an Audi then (still using my money, just they paid 2/3 instead of 1/2) and I appreciated it every day. I don't think it made me any worse-for-wear in the values department, or at least, I hope not. I worked my whole senior year, every weekend, at a restaurant to pay my dad the difference... I didn't come all that close, but he appreciated the gesture nonetheless.

My mother is STILL (after like four years) skittish about me getting a Honda product, but in those four years I've saved up enough money to buy this Acura on my own. I've worked hard (I have/had numerous on- and off-campus jobs) and I think that I understand the value of money rather well... I along with a previous poster disagree with Jason's extreme attitude towards this dude; you don't know what the circumstances are, let it be. Don't be bitter, it's not worth it.

EDIT: Oh yeah, to the OP: do what your parents want if it comes down to it, but be sure to mention that the price is the same, and the stick is what you really want. The one thing your parents would hate is to drop that hunk of cash and have you be less than freaking thrilled, even if you are greatly appreciative.

Rambling in class,
-rpc
Old 12-07-2005, 03:58 PM
Still Lovin my 06

i dont follow

Originally Posted by rpcmx
He's not a robot; he sounds like he'll be able to appreciate his parents' generosity and learn from it exactly in the way that you and others want him to.

When I was 17 (legal age for driving in Jersey ), I had saved up enough money to buy half a Subaru (my parents agreed to pay the other half). And then, my friend was t-boned in an Accord at about 50 mph... My parents got me an Audi then (still using my money, just they paid 2/3 instead of 1/2) and I appreciated it every day. I don't think it made me any worse-for-wear in the values department, or at least, I hope not.

My mother is STILL (after like four years) skittish about me getting a Honda product, but in those four years I've saved up enough money to buy this Acura on my own. I've worked hard (I have/had numerous on- and off-campus jobs) and I think that I understand the value of money rather well... I along with a previous poster disagree with Jason's extreme attitude towards this dude; you don't know what the circumstances are, let it be. Don't be bitter, it's not worth it.

Rambling in class,
-rpc
have fun procrastinating in class....but i don't follow. your situation is completely different, you worked and contributed towards your car. not sure what your mom has against honda products. your friend was tboned? what's the got to do with the car quality? i'm hoping he/she was ok, but tbones are rough accidents no matter what the car.

anyways, not bitter, just would do things differently. AND I"D GET IT IN A MANUAL!
Old 12-07-2005, 05:50 PM
Team Owner

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Originally Posted by Enzlow
I think I get the point exactly... I said he should say to his parents what I told mine. If he truly wants the manual, then he should tell them that, and not settle for an automatic otherwise. Simple as that. And also like I said, the difference between the two transmissions basically comes down to preference. You could list all of the pros and cons of an AT and a MT in his favor to help convince his parents, but I think that is a waste of time. A MT is his preference, so he should make it clear to his parents and push for it.
Are you saying he should insist on an MT and not accept the AT? That would make him look like a spoiled little brat. He's doing it the right way. He is trying to compile arguments in his favor.
Old 12-07-2005, 05:52 PM
Team Owner

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Originally Posted by Enzlow
I think I get the point exactly... I said he should say to his parents what I told mine. If he truly wants the manual, then he should tell them that, and not settle for an automatic otherwise. Simple as that. And also like I said, the difference between the two transmissions basically comes down to preference. You could list all of the pros and cons of an AT and a MT in his favor to help convince his parents, but I think that is a waste of time. A MT is his preference, so he should make it clear to his parents and push for it.
Are you saying he should insist on an MT and not accept the AT? That would make him look like a spoiled little brat. He's doing it the right way. He is trying to compile arguments in his favor.

And, if I was your parents and was going to buy you a car, and you told me you wanted an MT would would not settle for an AT, I would tell you to go buy yourself a bus pass.
Old 12-07-2005, 05:57 PM
Still Lovin my 06

agreed

Originally Posted by jlukja

And, if I was your parents and was going to buy you a car, and you told me you wanted an MT would would not settle for an AT, I would tell you to go buy yourself a bus pass.

amen to that
Old 12-07-2005, 06:00 PM
Banned

hmmm so this turns out to be the hottest thread here these days
dayummnn lol.
Old 12-07-2005, 06:14 PM
Drifting

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
what happened?? Summary?? haha!
Old 12-07-2005, 07:11 PM
6MT or Death

Originally Posted by jerzpwr
my parents straight up said no when i asked if i could get a manual. Shit i wish i could have though. Their reason was that when i sell it on later ill have a easier time with an automatic than a manual. is this true?
An automatic may sell faster because more people who buy this car buy automatic, but the people who NEED a mt will pay more. so Faster sale = AT; more money = MT
Old 12-07-2005, 09:34 PM
8th Gear

Sorry for responding late, seems like yall like to respond when I'm out. Thanks for some comments and help, but just to clarify a few things...

Yes I was told the insurance on RSX-S is alot higher than TSX, and I am paying for insurance myself, so thats where my responsibility comes in and why I chose the TSX.

And yes I do already have my license.

And yes I'm very familiar with stickshift, just not as familiar as alot of you who drive it on a daily basis.

Better Acceleration- At first I was also suggested the new Eclipse, but he wanted me to get the GT because it had more horsepower and i'f I'm in a jam, he wants me to be able to get out quick. Also I have to get on the highway to go to school every morning, making me wake up at 5:45 and leave the house by 6:15 so I'm not in traffic.

As I said I didn't really mind getting a used car and would rather have them use less money on me, and I don't want the Navi cause I don't really need it. I would rather just call up a friend and ask him about mapquest or something. And if we didn't get a Navi on the FX, nothing makes me think I'll get one on my TSX, when my mom travels around the city constantly for her business.

I know this may sound bad from your point of view (Some of you) and it sounds like yall seem to be saying I don't really know the value of money. Well if you say I don't, then I'm sure my parents do because they both originally grew up in different countries and came here with nothing.
Old 12-07-2005, 09:38 PM
Burning Brakes

^^ see this guy is responsible for his age....someone not getting navi because he feels like he doesn't need is sensible!
Old 12-07-2005, 10:34 PM
Still Lovin my 06

i like it

Originally Posted by IArAndrew
Sorry for responding late, seems like yall like to respond when I'm out. Thanks for some comments and help, but just to clarify a few things...

Yes I was told the insurance on RSX-S is alot higher than TSX, and I am paying for insurance myself, so thats where my responsibility comes in and why I chose the TSX.

And yes I do already have my license.

And yes I'm very familiar with stickshift, just not as familiar as alot of you who drive it on a daily basis.

Better Acceleration- At first I was also suggested the new Eclipse, but he wanted me to get the GT because it had more horsepower and i'f I'm in a jam, he wants me to be able to get out quick. Also I have to get on the highway to go to school every morning, making me wake up at 5:45 and leave the house by 6:15 so I'm not in traffic.

As I said I didn't really mind getting a used car and would rather have them use less money on me, and I don't want the Navi cause I don't really need it. I would rather just call up a friend and ask him about mapquest or something. And if we didn't get a Navi on the FX, nothing makes me think I'll get one on my TSX, when my mom travels around the city constantly for her business.

I know this may sound bad from your point of view (Some of you) and it sounds like yall seem to be saying I don't really know the value of money. Well if you say I don't, then I'm sure my parents do because they both originally grew up in different countries and came here with nothing.

i like it, in the case that you're paying your own insurance very respectable. but anyways, i was just responding to the other's comments throughout.

i think you should get the stick because it's a better driving experience and you're more alert. where the hell do you go to school in nyc that you have to drive.
Old 12-07-2005, 10:42 PM
Only Acuras Since '93

Originally Posted by acn684
^^ see this guy is responsible for his age....someone not getting navi because he feels like he doesn't need is sensible!
I'll buy that. I'm the guy who was touting Navi as an easy sell because I'd want my own hypothetical kid to have one for safety's sake (and also because I think it could be a chyk magnet if properly employed, 'though I didn't mention that)... but by the same token, if you don't need or want it, you don't.

I like this kid's style. He'd have probably enjoyed the '62 LeSabre I got when I was 16 as much as he'll enjoy his '06 TSX. Sure, I could carry a lot more friends on those big bench seats than he ever will... but still it only had AM radio, and "Philadelphia Freedom" was every third song on every station by the time I got it which was kind of a living Hell...

Seriously, enjoy those first four wheels you call your own, IArAndrew, they are truly the best... especially in your well-chosen case. You and an Acura are gonna make a good team, ya both got good sense.
Old 12-07-2005, 11:18 PM
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by dj Dozhe
An automatic may sell faster because more people who buy this car buy automatic, but the people who NEED a mt will pay more. so Faster sale = AT; more money = MT

that's if you are selling privately

-----------
yah i don't htink i need Nav either......if it's 1K i'd get it tho
Old 12-07-2005, 11:26 PM
Intermediate

i say rock on man, i got mine when i was 17, i luv it to death, screw those ppl who talk SH!T about a teen getting a nice car.....theyre jealous.... just be sure to never stop appreciating it....thats when ur spoiled, when you dont appreciated the nice things you have and the work your parents do to put you in a badass car... thats my 2 cents
Old 12-08-2005, 01:13 AM
Advanced

Originally Posted by bradykp
but i don't follow.
I guess what I'm trying to say is this: I got lambasted in the forums then, when I didn't want to talk about my circumstances; all I wanted was a little information. Who knows what's going on in this kid's life?

AND I"D GET IT IN A MANUAL!
Good move . Finally located the color combo I wanted, but it's 5AT... Do I still want it? Contemplating...

-rpc
Old 12-08-2005, 07:52 AM
Instructor

Received 8 Likes on 4 Posts
Originally Posted by holdemplayer
theyre jealous
That's funny stuff right there man.

Your age is showing
Old 12-08-2005, 11:33 AM
Banned

Girls will be throwing themselves at you. Get ready for some love !
Old 12-08-2005, 02:44 PM
No longer in denial

my belated When I was 16 and bought my own civic, even though I used my own money, my dad insisted I get automatic, not only because my mom can't drive stick, but he didn't want me racing. Well, it didn't stop me from driving like a madwoman when I was younger, and I am still annoyed at the fact that I am not really good at driving stick now. Had I learned on it it probably would have been easier. Definately emphasize the fact to your parents that having a MT will make you a better driver.
Old 12-08-2005, 03:34 PM
08 MDX with Sports

Wow page 6 already? Anyways if your asian you can say "any self respected asian male knows how to drive stick in ones life cycle".
Old 12-08-2005, 05:50 PM
has been here awhile

Originally Posted by waterrockets
That's funny stuff right there man.

Your age is showing
LOL...I was thinking the same thing. His post wasn't helping the cause at all.