06 MT; Convincing Parents

Search this Thread

Old 12-06-2005, 12:47 PM
Drifting

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by crfortin
a sedan with a MT will have crappy resale value in 3 years.

it prob. costs more to insure, & it even uses a little more gas.
They clearly don't care about money.
Old 12-06-2005, 12:52 PM
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Jason

At all ?

Get the kid a Porsche.
Old 12-06-2005, 12:54 PM
fdl
Senior Moderator

crfortin: check your pm please.
Old 12-06-2005, 01:01 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by crfortin
You'll go faster, & you're slightly more likely to kill youself while changing gears trying to do some fancy heel and toe trick you read about on here and all that extra crap.

so relax and play with the manumatic untill you can glide through business school and take that first job with Daddy's company or whatever cushy future you have planned, OK ?

Like I said before I think he should feel so overwhelmingly blessed and thankful he should just obey whatever his parents say from this point on.
Old 12-06-2005, 01:11 PM
Racer

Originally Posted by dj Dozhe
plus if you go automatic they actually make you turn in your testicles at the dealership. true story. I get mine back when my mt 06 arrives.
When do they give you your brain cells back?
Old 12-06-2005, 01:35 PM
Just dial 1911

Originally Posted by jlukja
OK, I get it, you love MT. Lets not bash AT drivers at every turn.

Old 12-06-2005, 02:55 PM
Burning Brakes

simple! AT = regard later, MT = driving one of the the best MT you can get.
Old 12-06-2005, 02:56 PM
Burning Brakes

really?
i'd like to see TMac's son drive a 1985 cavalier
Old 12-06-2005, 03:17 PM
Three Wheelin'

I'd discourage you from getting a TSX. Why would you waste your money? Get a nice used car and save the money for later (college or house). I know that's not what you want to hear but that is the best thing to do at this point in your life.
You know what, I kind of agree, and I kind of don't. I agree that saving up is probably better for later (trust me...you'll wish you had the money in college hahaha). What i don't agree on, is discouraging him from getting the car. If his parents are insistant (insistent? damn..where's the spellcheck..) on getting him the car, then I guess money is the last thing on thier mind. It seems like they have money to spare seeing how they gave their other son the Infiniti. Plus, his question wasn't addressing whether he should get the car or not. From this POV, it seems like he's gettin the car.

If his parents are throwing it at him how could he turn it down. But that's their problem.
I don't see how this is their problem. If they had no $$, then i could see how there would be a problem. Different strokes for different folks. You obviously are not the parent who would spend $26k+ on a new car for your kid. His parents are. End of story.

Luckily for me, when I was his age, we had 3 cars, so I just took whatever mom and dad didn't drive. The reward? They traded in their ML320 (when they moved to Vegas), spent a lil extra $$ and got me a TL (All i had to say to get my 6 spd was, "C'mon dad, you know you want to drive a 6 spd too." ) Of course, after we got the car, he was the one who did the majority of the driving during the 1st week. hahaha.
Old 12-06-2005, 03:24 PM
TSX Sold! Hello STi!

[QUOTE=crfortin]a sedan with a MT will have crappy resale value in 3 years.

it prob. costs more to insure, & it even uses a little more gas.QUOTE]

Actually, I sold my last car at a bit of a "premium" because it *was* a manual. Yes, the masses use ATs, but there are loyal stick shift followers. Manuals never cost me more to insure, and I generally saw better gas mileage over the life of my vehicles... I will agree with you, however, that MT drivers may be a little bit more aggressive with the throttle which would lead to less gas efficiency.
Old 12-06-2005, 03:27 PM
Got Ramen?

Originally Posted by IArAndrew
Lol.

The only reason im not getting an RSX-S is cause of High insurance on fast sports cars for people my age.
BS. your insurance rates on a TSX will be much higher if not around the same as an RSX cause you're under 18 (and thus considered inexperienced); you're driving a "luxury" class vehicle; and it's a brand new vehicle. but then again, it wouldnt matter cause your parents are paying all that for you anyway.

be honest next time.
Old 12-06-2005, 03:30 PM
Instructor

The Best Arguement!

Mom and Dad, you know it is much easier to have sex and get a girl pregnant in an automatic since you con't have to worry about the shift knob as much......

Actually, get an manual while you can. It is much easier to learn a manual as your first car then learning to drive with an auto and then shifting to a stick. And if you get used to a stick while young, you will be able to drive any car. (Maybe say you will be able to be the designated driver even if your friend drives TO the party with his stick.)

And if your knees or hips give out when you get old, that's the time to go to an auto.
Old 12-06-2005, 03:33 PM
TSX Sold! Hello STi!

I shouldn't keep on giving my opinion because it just eggs on this thread even more, but I wonder why some members equate getting a nice, fairly expensive car at 16 years old as a "problem"... Does that somehow translate into not understanding the value of earning something? I don't buy it. Yes, there are some kids who are born into so much money that they never even have to worry about an education; they're few and far between... for those that will eventually have to go out into the "real world," they'll find out that you have to work to get what you want. I've worked with and had work for me silver spoon types in my short professional career. They don't last long.

I'm not THAT much younger than some of you guys that seem so bitter...
Old 12-06-2005, 03:45 PM
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by TypeRS
BS. your insurance rates on a TSX will be much higher if not around the same as an RSX cause you're under 18 (and thus considered inexperienced); you're driving a "luxury" class vehicle; and it's a brand new vehicle. but then again, it wouldnt matter cause your parents are paying all that for you anyway.

be honest next time.
That is not true. I priced both a TSX and RSX before buying and the RSX was almost 2 times as much to insure as the TSX because of the extra two doors. Any coup is considered to be a sports car by insurance companies and will cost more to insure. That is just a fact.

I also don't understand the bitter tone some posts in this thread have. If the kid is lucky to drive such a cool car at 16 you should be happy for him. I wish I was that lucky. I drove a busted up death trap. I am sure it is worth it for his parents to know he is driving a safe reliable vehicle for less than 30k.
Old 12-06-2005, 03:45 PM
built for speed

The young guys keep missing the point. It's not about getting whatever Mom+Dad can afford, it's not about perceived safety (Is an '06 TSX safer than an '03 S60), and it's not about more or less attention needed to drive a stick. It's about values. Personally, I think it's ridiculous for a 16 yr old to drive a $30K car, even if the folks are loaded. It teaches the child the wrong values. However, if his parents have decided to spend the cash, then do what they want. Get the AT.
Old 12-06-2005, 03:57 PM
6MT or Death

Originally Posted by bbbuzzy
The young guys keep missing the point. It's not about getting whatever Mom+Dad can afford, it's not about perceived safety (Is an '06 TSX safer than an '03 S60), and it's not about more or less attention needed to drive a stick. It's about values. Personally, I think it's ridiculous for a 16 yr old to drive a $30K car, even if the folks are loaded. It teaches the child the wrong values. However, if his parents have decided to spend the cash, then do what they want. Get the AT.
What value is that? and before you answer remember you have no idea how these parents have raised him. And more importantly I notice an extreme LACK of feeling entitlement from him. Spoiled kids feel entitled to nice things. If he was a brat he would've asked for a BMW because that's what those kids want. Don't confuse privileged children with spoiled children. My father came from nothing, worked his way through college and became a doctor. When I was 16 I got a brand new car. Even though it was a ford it was a $20K ford. I take better care of my car than most people I know. Only a fool assumes.
Old 12-06-2005, 04:05 PM
Burning Brakes

^^ if you can get a brand spanking new 03 S60, then probably not. They're not getting him a used car because a lot of parents feel that you don't know how the person before you drove it, or why they decided to sell the car. Same with my parents, I was opting them to get a used car because of its lower cost, but they figured 3k more they get the assurance that the car was new, thus eliminating the chance that whoever sold it before sold it because they drove it hard enough and got bored, or there was problems with it to begin with.

Stop bashing this kid. This is how society works, everyone has a different POV. Just because his parents are raising him differently than you are or yours have doesn't mean they're raising him wrong. Perhaps he is a son of a successful businessman. But lets face it, his chances of a strong future is greater than a lot of people. What does that mean, his hes going to successful because his dad is going to hand him to fortune? Not necessarily. Think about it this way, what his parents will teach him (assuming they are succesful businessmen) will be those lessons that some people will never learn. I'd listen to the advice of Bill Gates on how to become succesful vs your local dry clean owner.

It annoys me how 1/2 of you guys are isolating this guy just because he is young. Its discriminatory and its ignorant. We don't know anything about this kid, we don't know his values. Its not like he came in here and told us - "I'm forcing my parents to buy me a 30k car and I don't care how much it costs because I want it." There is no justification for a lot of the arguments that go in here. Most people are going by the pure assumption that 16 year old driving 30k car is spoiled. Maybe he really does work hard. Straight A's, lots of community work? Who knows...I mean I look around my neighborhood and see all these punk ass drugged up highschool kids and they digust me.

I'd rather see a young sophisticated man who is respectful drive a nice car around rather than some of those kids whos life is sex, drugs, and alcohol drive a decent car. But its worst in nyc, they're the ones driving 50k cars. How do some afford it? Drugs...Gambling...Crime. Last time I stood on a subway listening to 3 asian "ganster" assholes talk about how they got arrested x number of times, how they're gonna drink up and gamble with their counterfeit money...(I'm asian too btw), and it disgraces me how corrupt a good number of the asian youths are in queens. Heck i've had my fair share of every race corruption. Go confronted with some white druggies, same with some asian druggies, had my cell phone taken off my belt by some black kids...from my school.... Its sickening. And whoevers on this board speaking down on this kid, you should take a good look at yours because despite what you see in them, they might be doing things that you don't know... So whos right is it to say they're raising this guy right? Nobody.
Old 12-06-2005, 04:06 PM
Swinger, just ask Lindy

Originally Posted by IArAndrew
Keeps you more concentrated on the road
Better Experience
Better Acceleration
More feeling to the car

Any more would be great =D.
Wow, I'm going to stay away from the argument fire and actually respond to the OP....

"Better acceleration" is definitely not a good argument in favour if your parents are thinking about safety. The last thing they want to hear is how much faster you can go.

And as tcwatkins said, once you know how to drive a manual, you can drive any vehicle in any situation. Say there's an emergency and the only vehicle is a manual. If you've only driven autos, you're pretty much screwed. Use the boyscout motto about always being prepared.

Traffice-wise, once you get used to driving a manual, it's second nature and you don't think about it (unless you want to). It becomes part of your driving and shifting just happens. I always catch myself trying to step on a phantom clutch if I have to drive an auto.

Good luck. lucky punk...
Old 12-06-2005, 04:11 PM
Drifting

Originally Posted by bbbuzzy
I agree with this but I'll also say this particular kid seems pretty well grounded. If he were my kid he'd have a Civic.

When I was in high school after my Cavalier died, my Dad wanted to buy me a car. We found a used Acura Legend in our price range but he wouldn't buy it for me because it was too nice. I understood what he meant but I was disappointed. That lesson has served me well.
Old 12-06-2005, 04:14 PM
Drifting

Originally Posted by acn684
It annoys me how 1/2 of you guys are isolating this guy just because he is young. Its discriminatory and its ignorant.
Simmer down junior.
Old 12-06-2005, 04:17 PM
6MT or Death

Simmer down junior.
God it must suck to be old.
Old 12-06-2005, 04:17 PM
TSX Sold! Hello STi!

Values are all relative to the individual... I understand the point that some of you are trying to make, but what exactly are the wrong values that are being taught here? One can make the case that the values that are being instilled here are that these parents worked hard, do well for themselves, and want to provide some of these luxuries to their family because they can. I worked hard for my TSX, and my parents could never have given me a $30k car on my 17th birthday, even if they wanted to do that. I think some of you guys are missing the point, and trying to impose your own values on this thread.

This is like a Republicans vs Democrats debate...
Old 12-06-2005, 04:20 PM
Burning Brakes

^^ just because I'm young doesn't mean I'm stupid. You (Jason) are bashing him just because he is 16 and he is getting a car that you worked hard for for free. How do you justify your argument that he is a spoiled brat that shouldn't be driving the car.

How do you justify that some people should or shouldn't win the lottery. Luck probably.
Face it this kid is lucky, some people are.

Last time i remembered, Luck does not have anything to constitute with his integrity.
Old 12-06-2005, 04:20 PM
6MT or Death

you know, they say if you give a 16 yr old a brand new tsx he will grow up to be a badger. And we don't need no stinkin badgers!
Old 12-06-2005, 04:24 PM
Three Wheelin'

What value is that? and before you answer remember you have no idea how these parents have raised him. And more importantly I notice an extreme LACK of feeling entitlement from him. Spoiled kids feel entitled to nice things. If he was a brat he would've asked for a BMW because that's what those kids want. Don't confuse privileged children with spoiled children. My father came from nothing, worked his way through college and became a doctor. When I was 16 I got a brand new car. Even though it was a ford it was a $20K ford. I take better care of my car than most people I know. Only a fool assumes.
I agree 100%.
Old 12-06-2005, 04:27 PM
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by Laxplaya11385
I agree 100%.
Old 12-06-2005, 04:28 PM
Drifting

You (Jason) are bashing him just because he is 16 and he is getting a car that you worked hard for for free. How do you justify your argument that he is a spoiled brat that shouldn't be driving the car.
Actually, I don't think I've said any of that. A few posts ago I said I think this young man seems grounded. He clearly understands this is not normal and I think he is very respectful and appreciative.

Having said that, I think the idea of this good kid driving a TSX is ridiculous. It just seems like a total waste to me. And I'm entitled to think that, just as his parents are entitled to buy their son a TSX. What the hell does he need a new TSX for?
Old 12-06-2005, 04:29 PM
Drifting

God it must suck to be old.
Does it suck for you?
Old 12-06-2005, 04:33 PM
Burning Brakes

can you clarify why do you feel it's a waste for him to have a TSX?
Old 12-06-2005, 04:38 PM
Drifting

can you clarify why do you feel it's a waste for him to have a TSX?
If you have to ask this question you'll never understand.
Old 12-06-2005, 04:40 PM
Team Owner

Received 378 Likes on 198 Posts
There is much idiocy in this thread.

Here's how I see it. The OP should accept whatever his parents are giving him because they are the ones spending the money. He seems like a smart kid and is definitely well grounded, especially when compared to some of the people that we've had to ban.

As far as him getting a TSX, as long as he continues to work hard and realizes that the good things in life only come to those who work hard, then there should be no reason he shouldn't get a $30k car. However, I also hope that his parents realize that the likelihood of said $30k ending up in an accident is rather high and the insurance costs on a brand new car tend to be higher than the insurance on a used car. It's just a matter of making the most of their money. But if they choose to spend the $30k, it's their money.
Old 12-06-2005, 04:41 PM
Pro

Received 24 Likes on 19 Posts
lots of ppl say teenagers shouldnt' drive new cars. bullshit. i believed it at first. i know a guy whose 16 when he got his tsx. but after 2 yrs no accidents no tickets he's a responsible driver and he can really drive. he's got skills and he's damn safe. just get the car you want...its YOUR car. and i think others need to know that. age isn't a responsibility thing. i knwo 40 year olds who cant chnage lanes without being honked at.
Old 12-06-2005, 04:42 PM
6MT or Death

If you have to ask this question you'll never understand.
That's a cop out. Answer the question.
Old 12-06-2005, 04:49 PM
Team Owner

Received 378 Likes on 198 Posts
Originally Posted by loulinjai
lots of ppl say teenagers shouldnt' drive new cars. bullshit. i believed it at first. i know a guy whose 16 when he got his tsx. but after 2 yrs no accidents no tickets he's a responsible driver and he can really drive. he's got skills and he's damn safe. just get the car you want...its YOUR car. and i think others need to know that. age isn't a responsibility thing. i knwo 40 year olds who cant chnage lanes without being honked at.
Actually, it's not his car since he isn't paying for it. He should take whatever car his parents want to buy for him.

And your one story can be countered by countless stories to the contrary. It's good that you know someone who turned out to be a good driver, but the reality of the situation is that most people, regardless of age, are not.
Old 12-06-2005, 05:00 PM
Burning Brakes

What the hell does he need a new TSX for?
I don't think he "needs" a TSX. Matter of fact I don't think anyone "needs" a TSX. We can all buy more economical cars than an Acura. Some people want one. His age doesn't mean he is less entitled to a new car than you, me or anyone else. If he is blessed to have this opportunity at such a young age I say more power to him. I hardly think of it as a waste.
Old 12-06-2005, 05:04 PM
C'mon, man! Row yer own.

I'll answer your original question. Manual transmission cars are generally considered to give the driver more control over his car (once he learns to be comfortable driving it) and are mechanically simpler and less prone to problems. Also, learning to drive a manual proficiently is a skill you'll always have. There really isn't any downside to a manual transmission from your parents' point of view -- as long as you prefer one, I can't see why they'd object.

The gas mileage on the TSX is pretty much the same, auto or manual. The performance in terms of being able to pass on two-lane roads is, in my opinion, better with a manual and that's important. (I wouldn't tell you folks, however, about how the manual is better in the 1/4 mile.)

Ignore the people on this forum giving you a hard time about having a TSX or whatever. I'd tell your folks that, with the manual, there are several benefits and, really, no negatives as long as you're happy to row your own. Good luck!
Old 12-06-2005, 05:11 PM
Three Wheelin'

The only "problem" i could think of when getting a manual, is learning to drive it through your 1st winter (which i'm currently doing hahaha). But since you're from Texas, i doubt it'll get as bad as it will up here in the north east.
Old 12-06-2005, 06:17 PM
Advanced

^^ just because I'm young doesn't mean I'm stupid. You (Jason) are bashing him just because he is 16 and he is getting a car that you worked hard for for free. How do you justify your argument that he is a spoiled brat that shouldn't be driving the car.

How do you justify that some people should or shouldn't win the lottery. Luck probably.
Face it this kid is lucky, some people are.

Last time i remembered, Luck does not have anything to constitute with his integrity.

Hmmmm...you're 19 and live in Bayside and go to cornell. Did you go to Stuy for High School? Just curious cuz I live around Bayside.
Old 12-06-2005, 06:42 PM
Advanced

LOL! Dude, who cares what we think. We're all just pixels on a screen. It's your parents, your choice. Your Bro got a freakin fx, a tsx justified. As a mtter of fact, go all out get a sport package and navi as well! If my parents could have afforded a tsx at 16, I would have gotten a tsx.

Ignore all the jealous crap around here and go for it, whether you get a mt or not, get the tsx!
Old 12-06-2005, 06:46 PM
6MT or Death

Originally Posted by ragged
LOL! Dude, who cares what we think. We're all just pixels on a screen. It's your parents, your choice. Your Bro got a freakin fx, a tsx justified. As a mtter of fact, go all out get a sport package and navi as well! If my parents could have afforded a tsx at 16, I would have gotten a tsx.

Ignore all the jealous crap around here and go for it, whether you get a mt or not, get the tsx!

Quick Reply: 06 MT; Convincing Parents