************** OEM foglights ???? *******

Search this Thread

Old 08-02-2003 | 02:52 PM
kLo
Intermediate

************** OEM foglights ???? *******

hey guys...

i was wondering if i bought the OEM foglights how long does it take to install from the dealer?

and i was wondering if i can change the bulb on the orginial OEM foglights before they install the fogs..

and which bulbs do u recommend.. i was thinking of going with piaa? but which model number?

and has anyone done this mod yet?

any thoughts/ comments/ recommmedations would be GREATLY appreaciated!!!!

thanks soooo much!

Old 08-02-2003 | 04:11 PM
Racer

labor is about 2 - 2.5 hours, and well worth it. considering that the bumper and steering wheel needs to be removed for the install. This would be the only accessory that I would not consider a DIY...as noted by someone who installed it themself...in the other forum.

As for the question on the bulb, I have been researching on that matter too, and have yet to come up with what bulbs are needed. I want Sylvania Silverstars, but they are available in all types yet. I think they're H4's or H11's for the fogs. If you get the bulbs, as your dealer shop to change them before finall install, it shouldn't be an issue with them.

I would like to put near HID like bulbs in. One thing is that the aftermarket bulbs don't last very long, but then again, how often do I turn them on?

So, if anyone has change their bulbs in the their fogs, please do share your info.
Old 08-02-2003 | 05:59 PM
I kAnt Spel guD

Do it yourself!

I have removed the steering wheel, aribag, and installed tons of honda options, including foglight kits. In my own drive way.

It's well worth what you save in cash. In addition, you get the install done just as you want it.

Honda makes install WAY easy. Trust me the kid installing your accessories is just a tech not a mechanic.

Just take your time and save the money.
Old 08-02-2003 | 09:34 PM
5th Gear

I just installed the OEM fog lights on my car today, so I'll share my experience. It took me about five hours from beginning to end, but I probably could've done it in four or less if I had worked faster and put everything back together in the right order.

Taking off the bumper and fitting in the fog lights was by far the easiest part of the job. The wiring was a different story: although routing and tying the harness wasn't too bad, making the connections to the fuse box was a real pain because there's not a lot of room to work, and the connectors are loaded with grease. Getting the air cleaner box out of the way and taking apart the fuse box were equally painful, again because of the tight quarters under the hood.

Contrary to what others have said, you *don't* have to remove the steering wheel... just the steering column cover. But that also wasn't easy b/c it doesn't come apart the way the instructions say; it took a fair amount of prying for the thing to come off. Once it did, though, switching out the turn signal levers was simple.

Overall it was a tough job, but personally I'm happy that I took it on and saved the installation costs. My adivce: if you're mechanically inclined or have done do-it-yourself work in the past, then I say go for it. Otherwise, you might want to have it done at the dealer.
Old 08-02-2003 | 09:55 PM
Burning Brakes

I'll ditto Stefan's comments:

"My adivce: if you're mechanically inclined or have done do-it-yourself work in the past, then I say go for it. Otherwise, you might want to have it done at the dealer."

I've done it on one of my Accords. The job was good, but doing that kind of thing isn't fun for me. If I get foglights for my on-order TSX, I'll leave it to the experts. Plus, if the dealer installs authentic Acura accessories on your car upon your initial delivery, the accessories are covered under warranty.

My Acura dealer quoted me $579 for the foglights including installation.
Old 08-03-2003 | 04:17 AM
My other "car" is a 4x4

Even if your Acura-branded accessories are installed post-purchase, they're still covered under the 48-month/50K mile warranty.

The great thing about this is that you can buy the parts at a substantial discount (from hondacuraworld.com, for instance) and take the parts to your local Acura dealer to have them install them for you. As long as the parts are authentic Acura brand (and untampered with) the warranty is good.
Old 08-03-2003 | 12:38 PM
Racer

I installed mine and I'd agree if you are mechanically inclined and have done work on your cars in the past you should be able to do it in about 4 hours. Having done it once, I think I could do it in two hours now. It's worth thinking about having the fog light inserts painted body color (if your car isn't black already). I did mine and I think it looks really sharp. I had a local Honda dealer paint them and the mud guards for $120.

http://www.imagestation.com/picture/...5.jpg.orig.jpg
Old 08-03-2003 | 01:33 PM
Instructor

how 'bout a compromise.. if it's not so hard (as Stefan says).. take off the bumper and install the lights yourself, but bring your car into the dealer to do the 'messy-rest'.

By doing so, you leave the toughest for the dealer to do and still save some loot in the process.

This suggestion is especially for those not-so-mechanically-(or-patient)-peoples.
Old 08-03-2003 | 01:51 PM
Intermediate

Originally posted by Brad
I'll ditto Stefan's comments:

"My adivce: if you're mechanically inclined or have done do-it-yourself work in the past, then I say go for it. Otherwise, you might want to have it done at the dealer."

My Acura dealer quoted me $579 for the foglights including installation.
I'll have to agree also with getting the fog lights professionally installed, but dont pay more than $500 for the foglights plus installation. Initially the dealer charged me $799 for the foglights and installation, but I argued down to $499 after I had read on the various TSX message boards how people were getting the fog lights + installation for free or for $200. Lets not get too ripped off with these foglights
Old 08-03-2003 | 03:48 PM
kLo
Intermediate

thanks for everyone's input..

but still need more info on the bulbs!

i'll have to buy the bulbs for the foglights before i get them install.. most likely gonna get the dealer to install them..

hey bear trap.. did u just ask the dealer to paint the fog light panel for u? is this a normal thing to ask them to do?

thanks
Old 08-04-2003 | 05:56 AM
Suzuka Master

I'm having mine painted too. My friend at Acura is going to do it for me. Just ask one of the mechanics or someone at the service desk. They'd gladly do it for you.
Old 08-04-2003 | 09:07 PM
Cruisin'

The bulbs are H11's and I have been unable to locate them so far. PIAA and APC do not have bulbs as of right now. I emailed PIAA and they replied that they should be getting the H11's next month (which is this month...August) so hopefully we should have some soon. Also talking about lights... does anyone no what size the fuse type bulbs are in the dome lights? I got some "blue" lights to replace them, but they were 10W instead of 8W and burned out within minutes.
Old 09-04-2003 | 05:49 PM
My other "car" is a 4x4

I'm nearly ready to install the fog lights myself. However, I have a question- is there a way to wire the fog lights so that they can be on with only the parking lights? I know technically it's not "legal" to use the fogs except when the low-beams are on, but it would be cool to have the fog lights remain on, even with the hi-beams activated too.

I'm thinking that the solution is to tap into either the 14-pin or the 20-pin connector at a different terminal than indicated in the instructions.

Does anyone have any ideas about how to do this?

Thanks.
Old 09-04-2003 | 06:01 PM
Not an Ashtray

FYI: I had the foglights installed as part of the deal. Then, a few weeks later, I'm driving down the highway, and pieces start falling off from under the car. In ended up that the airdam underneath came off, which riped the lining out about both wheels. I had to limp to the nearest Acura dealer to have it fixed.

Moral of the story is this has to be done carefully, and even your dealer might not be great.

The foglights should be a factory option, to get around all of this foolishness.
Old 09-04-2003 | 06:25 PM
Advanced

If you're gonna buy fogs do it NOW! the group buy with 10% off for TSX fogs expires today (9/04), not to say that it won't happen in the future. $251 for factory fogs is a nice discount from the dealer retail of $359.

My dealer can kiss my ass, the parts dept. was asking $359 - 10%, and when I talked to the service dept. they said it was about another $350! At $80/hour, there estimating that it will take them 4 1/2 hours.

Personally, I'm considering the fogs, but cannot equate the price with the benefit. The HIDs are so damn good you don't really need fogs, therefore (IMO) the factory fogs are only for looks. I'd rather put that money into improving the speakers.

But hey, if you got the dough do it, it does looking better than having two black plastic pieces that serve no purpose.
Old 09-04-2003 | 06:37 PM
'12 TL (prev '04 TSX 6MT)

Re: ************** OEM foglights ???? *******

Originally posted by kLo
hey guys...

i was wondering if i bought the OEM foglights how long does it take to install from the dealer?
Hey guys...
I was wondering what the point is of putting 20+ *'s in your subject line?

(Maybe it's just me.)
Old 09-04-2003 | 07:12 PM
idx
Senior Grasshopper

... Just to make sure we really look at this thread.

spammer!
Old 09-04-2003 | 10:59 PM
Advanced

what kind of bulbs do the TSX foglights use?
Old 09-05-2003 | 06:53 AM
Suzuka Master

Click on my sig link and see what the install looked like.

Its not easy, but it isn't difficult either.

Bulbs = H11 *Fairly new, but you can get whites for it to match the HIDs.

I'm glad I did my foglights myself, but if you don't have any experience with removing body panels on cars, DON'T ATTEMPT IT.