Strange noise

Search this Thread

Old 03-25-2007 | 12:39 AM
Intermediate

Strange noise

Hey everyone..

Okie Im a newbie and and I know pretty much nothing about cars so please bare with me!!!

I have a 97 3.2 TL about 122k and its making this really strange noise when I excellerate.. its kinda like a "klunk".... it happens with not like a super fast excelleration but not that slow either.. and it kinda "jumps" or "lunges" a little when it makes this noise. Im pretty sure its coming from the back of the car. Orig I thought it was all the crap in the trunk moving about, but I took it all out and its still doing it...seems to be more and more in the recent weeks.

So does anyone know anything about this? I was looking through some older posts and im not really sure if its the same as what other were talking about or w/e.

So anyone got any ideas? is it my mufflers, or exhaust or what?

Please help me!!

thanks everyone!!!

And sorry If I seem dumb! I just want my car to die on me!
Old 03-25-2007 | 01:20 PM
Intermediate

Originally Posted by Pinkgurl97
Hey everyone..

Okie Im a newbie and and I know pretty much nothing about cars so please bare with me!!!

I have a 97 3.2 TL about 122k and its making this really strange noise when I excellerate.. its kinda like a "klunk".... it happens with not like a super fast excelleration but not that slow either.. and it kinda "jumps" or "lunges" a little when it makes this noise. Im pretty sure its coming from the back of the car. Orig I thought it was all the crap in the trunk moving about, but I took it all out and its still doing it...seems to be more and more in the recent weeks.

So does anyone know anything about this? I was looking through some older posts and im not really sure if its the same as what other were talking about or w/e.

So anyone got any ideas? is it my mufflers, or exhaust or what?

Please help me!!

thanks everyone!!!

And sorry If I seem dumb! I just want my car to die on me!
I meant accelerate, not excellerate. I also meant I DON'T want my car to die on me!

Old 03-25-2007 | 05:58 PM
大日本帝国

Damn, sounds like either your axle skipping a spline, or one of your clutch packs in the tranny is slipping... Our tranny's are built pretty well, so I'm going to go with axle. When you come to a stop, not slamming on the brakes but just a bit hard, do you hear a clunking, too? Not all the time, but every so often? I need a few more details to make a better diagnosis, but have the window down, music off, and try to recreate it. If it happens upon deceleration, then your inner joint on your axle is slipping. I've got the same problem only not as severe as yours sounds like and I've got 236,500 miles, hehe.

~Cheers~

P.S. Welcome to the boards (again).
Old 03-26-2007 | 01:24 AM
Intermediate

Red face

Originally Posted by Go90go
Damn, sounds like either your axle skipping a spline, or one of your clutch packs in the tranny is slipping... Our tranny's are built pretty well, so I'm going to go with axle. When you come to a stop, not slamming on the brakes but just a bit hard, do you hear a clunking, too? Not all the time, but every so often? I need a few more details to make a better diagnosis, but have the window down, music off, and try to recreate it. If it happens upon deceleration, then your inner joint on your axle is slipping. I've got the same problem only not as severe as yours sounds like and I've got 236,500 miles, hehe.

~Cheers~

P.S. Welcome to the boards (again).
GOSH!! Dont tell me that!!!!

Okay..well heres an example of like what it does when it jumps...you know when you floor-it from a stop and when it switches gears and its kinda does that thing (i dont know how to describe it, a hard shift maybe?) its just like that, but a lot quicker and it makes the noise. I hope that made sense.... and to answer your question Ive never had it do what its been doing when I stop..only when I start going...and its not every time either...its really strange...I just got back fom 6 hours of invatory at work so sorry for typos and spelling errors... I will do the recreation thing tomrrow on my way to class and Ill let you know...

Thanks for your help!
Old 03-26-2007 | 06:20 PM
大日本帝国

Still sounds like a skipping spline... It happens occasionally on EITHER acceleration or deceleration, your's seem to be on acceleration whereas mine is only on deceleration. LMK!

~Cheers~
Old 03-26-2007 | 07:49 PM
Intermediate

Originally Posted by Go90go
Still sounds like a skipping spline... It happens occasionally on EITHER acceleration or deceleration, your's seem to be on acceleration whereas mine is only on deceleration. LMK!

~Cheers~
okie dokie...so can I do anything about it.. or is it something im jsut going to have to live with? And is it hurting my car?

Im supossed to be driving to Novi MI next week and I wont if this is a serious problem..

THANKS AGAIN!!!
Old 03-27-2007 | 07:04 PM
Intermediate

okay so I did what you said..its def. coming from the back.. I still cant explain it.. Anyone in Madison WI wanna take it for a ride and see if they can figure it out?!?! lol

Anyone got any more ideas or anything?
Old 03-28-2007 | 10:25 AM
Cruisin'

Originally Posted by Pinkgurl97
..when it switches gears and its kinda does that thing (i dont know how to describe it, a hard shift maybe?) its just like that, but a lot quicker and it makes the noise...
That sounds like the rear transmission mount. Legends were really bad for that. When the Legend rear transmission mount fails, it gives a hard 1-2 shift, with a clunk.
Old 03-29-2007 | 09:45 AM
Intermediate

Originally Posted by hrtrworms
That sounds like the rear transmission mount. Legends were really bad for that. When the Legend rear transmission mount fails, it gives a hard 1-2 shift, with a clunk.
thats sounds like it..well what do I do now?