Strange Electrical Problem

Search this Thread

Old 03-13-2007 | 01:14 AM
1st Gear

Strange Electrical Problem

Hello Folks,

This is my first post on the forums...
Last Wednesday, 3/7/07 I started having problems with my 96 2.5TL. It would start and then instantly die pretty much as soon as it seemed to ignite. I mistakingly diagnosed this as a problem with the alternator (I think), I figured that if it was cutting out after it started it must be a problem with the alternator.... I tried to jump start it and it acted the exact same as if the jumper cables weren't connected. I let it sit in one of my college parking lots over the weekend because I have been extremely busy with the last couple weeks of the quarter. I started thinking about it and realized that if it had been the alternator, than it would have atleast been able to run off of the car I had attached the jumper cables to. So, now I figure it can't be the alternator, correct?

Today, being stranded on campus due to my inoperable TL, I decided to go tinker around with it and see if I could get it to start. For the first few attempts it did the same thing it had done on Wednesday... start then die instantly. After a few attempts I started to think that it might be a problem with the fuel system (plugged fuel filter?) so I started giving it gas as I tried to start it. When I did this it started to sputter and after a little while and a lot more gas I got it to start. It ran fine and smooth.

I drove it home. The next time I drove it the panel fans started oscillating up and down and soon after it died. After this I managed to start it again and get to my destination. When I came back to my car (after class) I couldn't start it (was starting and instantly dying like before). On one attempt when I released the key slowly I noticed the engine continued to run as I let go of the key... Realizing this... on the next attempt I did not realease the key all the way and the engine kept running (I did not hold it in so far that the starter kept turning).

I can repeat this behavior and keep the car running as long as I hold pressure on the key. My ignition does not feel loose or different in any way. Does it sound like I need a new ignition? Could it be anything else? What kind of costs am I looking at to fix this (ignition or something else) either from a mechanic or on my own?

Thank you very much and I aplogize for the long post.
Old 03-13-2007 | 02:21 AM
Advanced

Im no expert but if you have to hold the key so it has pressure then it may be the ignition. Dont apologize for the long post the more detail you give the better

maybe its just a connection inside the ignition and you wont have to get a whole new one?
Old 03-13-2007 | 10:18 AM
Cruisin'

It's the mechanical portion of the ignition switch. I had the same problem with mine. It's an easy fix, and anybody that knows how to use a screw driver can do the repair themselves.
Old 03-19-2007 | 03:52 PM
1996 2.5TL

Originally Posted by DrakeMK3
It's the mechanical portion of the ignition switch. I had the same problem with mine. It's an easy fix, and anybody that knows how to use a screw driver can do the repair themselves.
drake, maybe you can help me because im having similar problems with my 96 2.5tl. can you guide me on how to do the repair step by step? or tell me what particular part i need 2 buy?
Old 03-21-2007 | 11:52 AM
1996 2.5TL

it is most likely the ignition switch. i had the same exact problem and i fixed my car 2day by replacing the ignition switch. the part only cost me $55 and its easy 2 remove and install, and i did it on my own. the car runs fine now.
Old 03-22-2007 | 07:17 AM
Cruisin'

Sorry, I didn't get a chance to explain how to get at it, but as you probably know now, it was pretty straight forward. I'm glad your problem is fixed.
Old 04-10-2007 | 02:09 PM
Acura info

It might be an electrical problem like your main relay... In the 96 tl (3.2) The Main Relay controls the Fuel Pump and Injectors.. This happened to me also.
Old 04-12-2007 | 11:49 AM
3rd Gear

I am having the same problem

I am having the same problem right now with my 96 2.5 TL. I actually posted my symptoms last week on the site. hrtworms instructed me to read the post : ALL lights flicker, tactometer zero, weird electrical problem. I thought it could possible be the battery, alternator, starter, or iginiton. You can read my orginally post: Starter, battery, alternator, Iginition Problem(Help immedaitely). To see if the symptoms are the same. So, if anybody has anymore insight to what the problem might be I would greatly appreciate it. As right now my TL is parked in front of my apartment- Thanks

kln96TL