Starter Help!

Search this Thread

Old 08-30-2004, 11:29 PM
Senior Moderator

Received 2,328 Likes on 1,308 Posts
Starter Help!

Ok guys, today I replaced the starter.

Symptoms were a loud CLICK followed by absolutely nothing. The engine wouldnt turn over at all. Click click click.

Well, took it to a good starter shop, the guy was very upfront. Our starters are WELL-BUILT, they are made by Nippon-Denso and last forever. Its the starter CONTACTS that wear out. The copper itself gets worn off, thus making it not conduct electricity.

Now here's what it cost me:

$40 bucks for the starter to be rebuilt
$250 for labor. Apparently our starters are in the most obscure part in any car. He had to removed the front left wheel and axle to get at it. Over all took him 4 hours to do the job.
The following users liked this post:
1997TL - Is Alive Again (04-30-2021)
Old 08-30-2004, 11:30 PM
Senior Moderator

I'm making this THE definitive starter help thread. Please post if you have something to add or ask. Thank you!

We will try to make this as informative as possible.
Old 09-15-2004, 01:43 AM
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
That very dealy was happening with my car. Just happened about 2 nights ago actually. I've had the vehicle for almost a year and it's happened twice. My friends all thought it was my alternator, but once we cleaned off the connectors and car started up fine. Had made a real fast clicking noise when i would try to start it. Don't know, everytime i think something's wrong, it's fixed when i get to it. Maybe bad connection? everything else is just dandy.
Old 09-15-2004, 02:02 AM
Swift 3 B-A-N-G-E-R

Guess this should be moved over here...

Originally Posted by Ken1997TL
Originally Posted by spooky3ce
A lot of 1st Gen TL's have the starter problem... what is the first symptom of a starter problem...??? because my starter might be going out... sometimes it locks up and won't let me turn the car on w/o moving the shifter a bit sometimes... or the key, i'll leave it a bit out so it can turn the starter... if i put the key all the way in... she won't start... Just a quick question...
Hmmm sounds strange. More likely a bad ignition switch if it involves the key or shifter. It thinks the car is in something besides neutral or park.

The bad starter is when it makes a loud "click" and then absolutely nothing. Basically, the starter contacts have lost their copper and are hammering away uselessly.

Must be that my key might be a bit hold and over used...
Old 09-15-2004, 08:17 AM
Reppin' the T-Dot!!

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Originally Posted by Ken1997TL
Ok guys, today I replaced the starter.

Symptoms were a loud CLICK followed by absolutely nothing. The engine wouldnt turn over at all. Click click click.

Well, took it to a good starter shop, the guy was very upfront. Our starters are WELL-BUILT, they are made by Nippon-Denso and last forever. Its the starter CONTACTS that wear out. The copper itself gets worn off, thus making it not conduct electricity.

Now here's what it cost me:

$40 bucks for the starter to be rebuilt
$250 for labor. Apparently our starters are in the most obscure part in any car. He had to removed the front left wheel and axle to get at it. Over all took him 4 hours to do the job.
Good deal on the starter re-build. Mine was ABOUT $200 CDN total, but I did the labour myself at a friend's garage. You are correct, starter is a BITCH to get out. Have to remove the driver's side axle to remove the starter. Dealership charges an INSANE amount for a replacement starter, you are MUCH better off to get it re-built. Costs about 1/3-1/2 as much and will last just as long as a factory replacement.
Old 09-29-2004, 09:09 PM
10th Gear

I just replaced mine a few weeks ago.. My TL had 108k on it. It was an easy do it your self job. The starter is in the front of the engine/tranny area.. Remove the battery... so you can get to it.. Then Only two main bolts.. and then disconnecting the wires is a little tricky..
It's about a hour or two job. Saved me $450 ..
Stevens Creek Acura estimated me $650 to do it.
Old 11-19-2004, 01:50 PM
Instructor

I might have to do this as well Went out to my car this morning, tried to start it and nothing. Not even a click. Lights, radio, heater all that worked fine. Tried it 3 times, then the forth time it started right up like nothing ever happened. Didn't even hesitate, started right up. Very odd, i am gonna try cleaning any contacts i can see this weekend.
Old 11-24-2004, 12:50 AM
Acura Dealer Technician

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by pennyfx
I just replaced mine a few weeks ago.. My TL had 108k on it. It was an easy do it your self job. The starter is in the front of the engine/tranny area.. Remove the battery... so you can get to it.. Then Only two main bolts.. and then disconnecting the wires is a little tricky..
It's about a hour or two job. Saved me $450 ..
Stevens Creek Acura estimated me $650 to do it.
Wrong year tl bud, your model year is easy.
Old 11-24-2004, 02:40 AM
Senior Moderator

Originally Posted by lbbrando
Wrong year tl bud, your model year is easy.

They had to rearrange everything just to get at my starter.
Old 12-29-2004, 09:31 PM
10th Gear

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
mine did that aslo at the dealership and i had them fix that b4 i bought the car. i'm not sure how much it woulda cost but i do know it was the starter silanoid (<sp).
Old 01-31-2005, 02:57 PM
2007 6SMT Type-S

Received 20 Likes on 18 Posts
Originally Posted by impur
I might have to do this as well Went out to my car this morning, tried to start it and nothing. Not even a click. Lights, radio, heater all that worked fine. Tried it 3 times, then the forth time it started right up like nothing ever happened. Didn't even hesitate, started right up. Very odd, i am gonna try cleaning any contacts i can see this weekend.
Same problem with mine, dude. SUCKS! Only...mine clicks once and usually starts on the 2nd try if I turn the key all the way to "Lock" and try again. It seems to do it more when it really cold. LIke today...I am in Utah right now and it was about 20 degrees last night. On the 2nd try it started right up, but this time it made a loud, unusual noise from under the hood It only lasted about two seconds and quit. Hope mine starts when I leave for school tonight. Mine now has 103 K miles
Old 02-09-2005, 08:54 AM
98 3.2 Flamenco Black

Received 21 Likes on 21 Posts
The 1 Click no start

I have been having this happen to me, seen it 3 times, One click, nothing happens, 2nd try usually starts up like normal.

How can we tell if it is s definitive STARTER Issue? I have an extended warranty and it should cover it, but you know dealers.... I need advise.

Mine has 69,000 young miles on it. I have warranty to 100k, but my time limit will expire in April, this year.
Old 02-09-2005, 01:32 PM
Senior Moderator

Originally Posted by Mandy
I have been having this happen to me, seen it 3 times, One click, nothing happens, 2nd try usually starts up like normal.

How can we tell if it is s definitive STARTER Issue? I have an extended warranty and it should cover it, but you know dealers.... I need advise.

Mine has 69,000 young miles on it. I have warranty to 100k, but my time limit will expire in April, this year.
If it makes a big CLICK and nothing happens, its almost certainly the starter. Get to the dealership ASAP
Old 02-09-2005, 02:39 PM
98 3.2 Flamenco Black

Thanks a bunch! I love this Forum!
Old 02-10-2005, 08:27 AM
2007 6SMT Type-S

And we all love you, Mandy!
Old 02-13-2005, 09:37 PM
97 TL 2.5

I'm new to this forum. This is great!
I had a starter with the same symtoms on my 2.5TL. Today I installed a Bosch reman starter by removing the alternator and accessing the upper mounting bolt using extentions and a universal joint. It was a pain but only took a few hours, which is not too bad considering the learning curve and taking notes and pics. I can put up instructions if anyone plans to do it themselves.
Old 02-14-2005, 07:42 AM
98 3.2 Flamenco Black

Please put it up, will be great for all of us!

Thanks in advance.
Old 05-17-2005, 02:56 PM
2007 6SMT Type-S

I just had my starter "rebuilt". It ended up costing me just under $400.00 w/ labor. But it started right up w/o any clicks or anything. I'm glad I got it done...not much is worse than being on a date in a luxury car and the bloody thing won't start!
Old 07-23-2005, 04:14 PM
3rd Gear

Angry No start problem

My TL failed to start three days ago. I thought it was the battery. Tried to jump start it and it worked.

Yesterday, it won't start first. I could hear the click sound but nothing happened after that. I tried different positions of the key when turning on the key and it finally started. The same thing happened twice. But the third time, it did not start no matter how I changed the position when turning the key.

I guessed that it might be the starter. With the help of two friends, we replaced the starter with a new one (DURALAST) bought from AutoZone. However, it still won't start. We can still hear the clicking sound when turning the key, but it won't start.

We were suspecting that the new starter I bought from Autozone was also defective. But the chance is very remote. BTW, that was the only starter that the local Autozone store had.

Any lights?
Old 07-24-2005, 06:38 PM
2007 6SMT Type-S

Maybe your ingnition...? I'd try cleaning your battery terminals/posts and make sure the clamps are TIGHT! Try that before you do anything else At least you don't need to worry about a new starter down the road.
Old 07-26-2005, 08:48 PM
3rd Gear

Thanks for the ideas, SurfingScotty.

We already tried those (cleaned battery posts, bypassed the ignition circuit and relays by connection the battery directly to the starter). None of them worked. I am leaning towards sending the car to the Acura dealer nearby and let them figure out what went wrong. Will report back.
Old 07-27-2005, 12:46 AM
Instructor

whats up with the instructions with the pics??
Old 07-27-2005, 08:24 AM
2007 6SMT Type-S

Originally Posted by coltnnole
Thanks for the ideas, SurfingScotty.

We already tried those (cleaned battery posts, bypassed the ignition circuit and relays by connection the battery directly to the starter). None of them worked. I am leaning towards sending the car to the Acura dealer nearby and let them figure out what went wrong. Will report back.
Sorry, Bro. I'm out of ideas. Good luck, though. Hope it's not too much cash.
Old 07-29-2005, 09:51 PM
3rd Gear

It's the Starter!

I had the car towed to the local Acura dealer a couple of days ago. The problem was fixed after a genuine Acura OEM starter was put in.

So the starter I bought from Autozone was no good.

One lesson I learned was that I should have asked Autozone to test the starter before I bought it.

Anyhow, I am happy that my TL is back to normal.

BTW, it cost me about $430.
Old 07-30-2005, 12:03 PM
2007 6SMT Type-S

Take the grabage back to Autozone, man and tell them to ged rid of that shit they sell! I'd be pissed!!! But I'm glad your ride is working well again.
Old 08-29-2005, 07:07 PM
BLUE

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
My starter story

Same story - only mine cost $650 to fix. I started the job but backed out when I found that I had to remove the drive shaft, battery, tire, etc.

Problem began at about 100K. I finally replaced the starter at 103K. Prior to isolating the problem to the starter, I replaced the battery and the battery connector. While having the starter replaced, the deal overtorqued the lug nuts - 6 months later I sheared two of them on removal. To make matters worse, the shop that put in replacement studs damaged the front bearing, which had to be replaced 20,000 miles later. Total cost ~$1000.

Next time I'm buying a rebuilt starter, rebuilding the one that was replaced, and selling it on ebay!
Old 09-27-2005, 07:02 AM
Drifting

Received 128 Likes on 123 Posts
For the truly frugal, and I include myself in that number, you can simply replace the copper contacts in the starter solenoid. Following is a link to a source for starter solenoid contacts. Installation is easy, but review the tips on this link also.

Starter Solenoid Contacts Source

Regards
Old 10-09-2005, 12:51 AM
Racer

Received 16 Likes on 12 Posts
Just like you guys I had to same problem, but now I definetly know its the starter, becuase my dad first assume it was the battery. So after seeing all your guys post, is it best to rebuild my starter with the contacts or purchase anew one?? BTW, my dad talk to his mechanic friend and they said to probably get one from autozone or checkers cause its cheaper, but after hearing how autozone doesn't work properly maybe not.
Old 10-09-2005, 02:10 AM
Senior Moderator

Originally Posted by AznImports602
Just like you guys I had to same problem, but now I definetly know its the starter, becuase my dad first assume it was the battery. So after seeing all your guys post, is it best to rebuild my starter with the contacts or purchase anew one?? BTW, my dad talk to his mechanic friend and they said to probably get one from autozone or checkers cause its cheaper, but after hearing how autozone doesn't work properly maybe not.
Rebuild it at a proper electrical shop for 50 bucks or so.

Installation (removal as well) should be 150 or 200 at most.

If you know what you're doing, you can install/remove it yourself.
Old 10-09-2005, 07:40 AM
Burning Brakes

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Originally Posted by TexasHonda
For the truly frugal, and I include myself in that number, you can simply replace the copper contacts in the starter solenoid. Following is a link to a source for starter solenoid contacts. Installation is easy, but review the tips on this link also.

Starter Solenoid Contacts Source

Regards
Good find! Thanks for the help... And to think I was going to spend 150+ replacing the whole starter!
Old 10-20-2005, 07:43 PM
Drifting

I recenlty installed new contacts in the starter for my daughter's Acura 2.2CL and purchased the solenoid contacts. I had to purchase 10 of each to get them. If anyone needs a pair of contacts for a Nippodenso 1.4KW starter, send me a private message. I would like to recover my cost for the contacts.

regards
Old 01-14-2006, 12:14 AM
LDH
I

my sister is having problems with the TL, when you turn the key it doesn't click or crank at all, the lights just dim and thats the end. I had the starter rebuilt at 103k when I did the timing belt 2 years ago. The car is at 125k now so if it's the starter I'm not doing the work again...

Anyone have any ideas of what I could check or test just to get it to start?
Old 01-14-2006, 06:07 AM
Drifting

Tip for the future. Post your own thread. That way you're more likely to get a response.

No start w/ lights dimming suggests several possibilites; 1) weak battery, 2) poor battery connection or damaged connection (corrosion), and less likely 3) worn starter that is binding causing high current draw.

Take car to Autozone and ask them to run a battery chaeck on the battery. If battery is OK, clean and re-install battery connections securely.

Dimming of lights indicates the battery voltage is depressed or there is a loss of battery voltage at a high resistance connection (battery connection, starter + battery connection (you did earlier tighten thoroughly?), or bad battery wire ground connection.

good luck
Old 01-15-2006, 01:06 AM
LDH
I

after having a chance to check out the car today it was a bit easier to tell that the battery was dead since it tried to crank after a nights rest. I replaced the battery and it starts up fine, thanks for the advice even though I saw it after it was fixed.
Old 02-01-2006, 08:26 PM
DeLowS 1sT GeN TL

yeah i would try to start my acura up and all i'd hear was clicking wasnt my starter, wasnt the battery either, replaced it and died a few days later, alternator wasnt getting any power cuz my crankshaft pulley broke in half, lights dimmed, car just stopped and everything went out, if you install a new battery and the same thing happens man check ur crankshaft pulley.
Old 05-12-2006, 10:00 AM
2nd Gear

Starter replaced by Dealer

Well, I've had the car since 97' and the starter finally went. Just an FYI for those of you interested in what it cosat to have the dealership replace---$630.00
Old 05-18-2006, 08:54 PM
大日本帝国

Received 36 Likes on 31 Posts
Ok, to help rekindle an old thread:

Last weekend I had trouble starting the car. Same story as most of the earlier posts: click and nothing. Grabbed my jumper pack and she started pretty much right up. I knew I had a bad battery, so I went out and picked up a 6-cell one for about $150. Started right up almost everytime, much quicker and quieter than before. Here's where the problem is: outside of a bookstore, I tried to start the car. She started, but there was a loud somewhat droning noise coming from the engine bay. I left her on for about 3 seconds and I shut it down. After shut-down, there was ANOTHER noise. It sounded like she was trying to start herself! A wait and after 5 seconds, it stops. It happened maybe twice after that. Now yesterday, it did it again. So I figure, let me turn the key to the second position and see what happens. I turn it to II and she starts just like that. I repeat the whole on and off dance for a little while, and it finally stops. Hasn't happened today but does anyone have ANY clue as to why something like this might happen? Any and all input is appreciated.

~Cheers~
Old 05-19-2006, 07:55 AM
Drifting

Are you sure the sound is from the starter? If yes, I would suspect the starter may not be disengaging from the flywheel. This would drive the starter at high speed and might cause a noticeable noise.

If noise is not from the starter, I would suspect a problem w/ ABS pump running more than usual. Low fluid level or internal leak.

good luck
Old 05-20-2006, 01:31 PM
大日本帝国

Received 36 Likes on 31 Posts
Well, it's gone now... Strangest thing. It started happening after the installation of the new battery, and now that the battery has been worn-in a bit, it's working fine. I have never had a car that was so sensitive to something like a battery... Thanks for the advice, though, and I'll be sure to check those things out so it doesn't happen again.

~Cheers~
Old 05-24-2006, 05:23 PM
1st Gear

97 3.2TL Starter Problem

Just came to this forum - I'm having the same starter problem as most - click click click. I was looking for a definitive answer on how hard a job for a DIY project. I've replaced starters before, but the axel removal etc. sounds extreme. Estimate from a local shop is $500. Should I assume that is due to the difficulty of the job? - the starter itself costs $120. Anyone know where a step by step for this job might be found. Thanks

Quick Reply: Starter Help!