How to replace the head unit

Search this Thread

Old 09-13-2004, 03:47 PM
Registered Driver

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
How to replace the head unit

Well, someone asked a couple of days ago, and I had needed to take mine out to get the serial number so I figured I would document once again. This doesn't involve replacing it, just taking it out, and putting it in.

If you are going with another stock headunit, you should just be able to disconnect your old one, and put in the new one. If you go with something aftermarket, you will need a wiring harness which I believe is less then $20, and is just a matter of matching up all the colored wires.

To start off though, you will need at least one flat head screwdriver, smooth so not to scratch anything. It takes less then half an hour to remove and replace, longer though if you need to do up the wiring harness. Its not as hard as it sounds, especially once you know where the clips holding the wood trim are.

Here is the intended victim:

Now, you have to start taking off all the wood trim, its held on by a series of about 10 clips, I can't remember the exact amount. I found the easiest way to do it is start at the top left, go towards the middle, then start from the right, and move towards the middle, then move down. The two clips at the bottom, below the radio, are the hardest to remove.

Be careful removing them, the trim felt like it could be bent with enough force, you have to be gentle but firm with it, try and find the clips, and use the screwdriver to pry the trim out from there, NOT from between them. Once you have them all off, you should be able to pull it out, but only a little. Two wires need to be disconnected, off the back of the climate control piece.

Now that those are disconnected, you can pull the trim out.

By the way, does anyone know what all that writing means?

Now you should be left with something that looks like this. There are 4 screws holding the mounting piece for the head unit in, two on each side, you can see three of them in the picture, and the one you can't see is in the same spot as on the left.

Now, start to pull it out, you have to lift it a little too, all the wires on the back are the ones that the wiring harness will plug into, so you will get to keep those as is.

Once it is out, your left with a nice big empty spot like so:

You can rest the radio on the shifter, and get your code off from it, unplug it and get your new one in there, whatever it happens to be.

Installation is the opposite of removal, which is all pretty easy. The hardest thing that I found was getting the radio back in actually, had to wiggle it around quite a bit. When putting the trim back on, line it up, and push it straight in, and try and do as large an area as you can in each push, so not to twist it too much.

If I ever get a new headunit, I'll show this all again, but pick up at the end and show the wiring harness and all that fun junk, until then though, this is just how to get it all out.
Old 09-13-2004, 04:14 PM
Swift 3 B-A-N-G-E-R

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Thumbs up for you hommie...

Sticky... icky...icky...!!!

Well, guess since i gave you points for the other Step by step picture thing... i can't give you for this one... "You must spread some Reputation around before giving it to UnsanePyro again." But its all good... Gracias for taking the time to take the pics and show everyone how to take the stocker off...
Old 09-16-2004, 01:14 AM
10th Gear

Very very impressed with your detailed documentations.

That really helped me out.
Old 09-16-2004, 01:38 AM
Senior Moderator

Received 2,329 Likes on 1,309 Posts
Sticky done
Old 02-08-2005, 09:58 AM
Racer

gonna try this today with my new alpine head unit and 12 disk changer
Old 03-18-2005, 07:51 AM
9th Gear

The Easiest Way To Remove The Head Unit

That is the most drawn out, useless explanation of how to remove the radio that I've heard to date. Here is the fastest, simplest way to take out the factory head unit (and install a new OEM or aftermarket one).

The carpet trim under the radio (in front of the shifter) wraps around each side of the console towards the underneath portion of the dash on both the driver and passenger side. On the drivers side, pull on the end of that carpet trim and it will open like a door or flap. If you lay on your back in the drivers side floorboard with the seat as far back as it will go, you can shine a flashlight up towards the back side of the radio and you will see 2 silver 8mm phillips/hex head bolts that hold the OEM radio to the dash framework. All you will need to do this job is a 1/4" ratchet, an 8" or 10" extension for the ratchet, and an 8mm universal socket (which has the swivel built on...or you can use a 1/4" universal adapter with a standard 8mm socket). Use these tools to remove the 2 bolts and pull the radio out of the dash.

This is the best way to take out the radio because you don't have to fool around with wood trim breaking or scratching it with your little screwdriver...It's just easy. The install kit that came with my aftermarket head unit (from Crutchfield) fit directly into the dash that snapped into place in the dash.

I hope this helps some poor bastard like myself who had a hard time finding out how to do this without replacing all the dash parts...later.
Old 03-18-2005, 03:26 PM
LDH
I

Originally Posted by hendricknick
That is the most drawn out, useless explanation of how to remove the radio that I've heard to date. Here is the fastest, simplest way to take out the factory head unit (and install a new OEM or aftermarket one).

The carpet trim under the radio (in front of the shifter) wraps around each side of the console towards the underneath portion of the dash on both the driver and passenger side. On the drivers side, pull on the end of that carpet trim and it will open like a door or flap. If you lay on your back in the drivers side floorboard with the seat as far back as it will go, you can shine a flashlight up towards the back side of the radio and you will see 2 silver 8mm phillips/hex head bolts that hold the OEM radio to the dash framework. All you will need to do this job is a 1/4" ratchet, an 8" or 10" extension for the ratchet, and an 8mm universal socket (which has the swivel built on...or you can use a 1/4" universal adapter with a standard 8mm socket). Use these tools to remove the 2 bolts and pull the radio out of the dash.

This is the best way to take out the radio because you don't have to fool around with wood trim breaking or scratching it with your little screwdriver...It's just easy. The install kit that came with my aftermarket head unit (from Crutchfield) fit directly into the dash that snapped into place in the dash.

I hope this helps some poor bastard like myself who had a hard time finding out how to do this without replacing all the dash parts...later.
The way you did it is how they to it at the dealerships. But to call his post useless is pretty stupid too, his way is just an alternative. The way he posted on how to do it is actually a lot easier to do it just takes a bit longer. But if you don't like it keep on doing it your way. I've removed a lot of stereo's off of honda and acura by removing the screws in the back because I had no other options. It's not really that easy to access. Also since the stereos on our cars slant down, once the bolts are loose you would actually have to pull on the faceplate to get it out.
Old 04-12-2005, 02:57 PM
5th Gear

Thanks for posting the pics, they were a lot better than what Crutchfield provided. Also, is it really necessary to unplug the battery first before removing/installing the unit? I know it's just a precaution but what are the chances that it will screw things up?
Old 04-12-2005, 04:20 PM
LDH
I

Originally Posted by SlasH
Thanks for posting the pics, they were a lot better than what Crutchfield provided. Also, is it really necessary to unplug the battery first before removing/installing the unit? I know it's just a precaution but what are the chances that it will screw things up?
Trust me you don't want to find out what happens if you don't and something goes wrong. Just do it and be safe, one time I was working on a car installing a system and my friend forgot to take the terminal off after I asked him to. It resulted in having to run all new electrical wires for the entire audio system. We had to run new wiring from the battery into the car to power the headunit, a new chassis ground for the headunit, a new ignition switch to make the radio turn on when you put the keys in, and a new illumination wire to control the backlight.
Old 06-02-2005, 04:46 AM

Received 2,776 Likes on 1,979 Posts
hey you know the way that hendricknick posted can you actually see the CD changer plug from there and actually be able to reach in there and plug it in? that would make installation for that HON-AUX adaptor really simple.
Old 06-24-2005, 07:37 PM
Senior Moderator

Originally Posted by Mizouse
hey you know the way that hendricknick posted can you actually see the CD changer plug from there and actually be able to reach in there and plug it in? that would make installation for that HON-AUX adaptor really simple.
That IS true, but IMO its not that hard to take the dash apart. I can do it in a few minutes myself.
Old 06-24-2005, 10:18 PM
Str8 Rida

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
wish i knew how to take out my dvd player every 1nce in a blue moon it freezes up..i guess the wires get to hot (whut tha installation guy told me) and he has to take it out and push a lil reset button on tha back then back to new he does it in like 2-3 min. for no charge BUT he doesnt work there anymore and i dont wanna get charged so if u guys were to look at a few pics do u think u can give me a lil tutorial on how to at least get it out i dont have to unhook anything juz pull it out and press a button.? any help will be appreciated
Old 06-25-2006, 07:13 PM
2nd Gear

I had an aftermarket radio installed into my car, and now the ceiling speakers don't work... the guy said there was nothing he could do about that. It's a Kenwood. Anything I can do about this??
Old 06-25-2006, 07:25 PM
Pro

Originally Posted by hendricknick

id say this dude being a member is USELESS seeing this was his only post. what an asshole!!1
Old 06-26-2006, 04:09 AM
Senior Moderator

Originally Posted by g10patel
I had an aftermarket radio installed into my car, and now the ceiling speakers don't work... the guy said there was nothing he could do about that. It's a Kenwood. Anything I can do about this??
Partly true. You could splice wires and use resistors (since the ceiling midranges are different impedence)
Old 06-26-2006, 07:53 AM
Registered Driver

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by Ken1997TL
Partly true. You could splice wires and use resistors (since the ceiling midranges are different impedence)
Do you happen to know what resistors you would need?
Old 11-14-2006, 03:32 AM
2nd Gear

Thumbs up Thank you very much!!!!!!

UnsanePyro,

Thank you for the detailed description on how to do this. I have never attempted to change or install a car radio before, so I was apprehensive about taking off dash board components. You description on how to do this was quick, easy, and very detailed. I will now be able to call in the serial number to Acura and hopefully get the 5 digit code I need to get my radio working again. Acura was going to charge me $100 to do this (get the serial number), but now I have it for free and without the hassle of driving 35 minutes to the dealership.

ROLL TIDE!!
Old 11-14-2006, 01:05 PM
1998 2.5TL

Hey jjjj1235, are you in Tuscaloosa?
I'm planning to do it this weekend as my mechanic will need to disconnect the battery to change the cam sensor.
Old 11-16-2006, 03:37 AM
2nd Gear

No, we live in Jupiter, FL. But you can bet that I will be watching the game on TV. I did live and work in Hoover from 1991 - 1998.
Old 11-16-2006, 10:57 AM
1998 2.5TL

Cool... it's a small world. I moved from Hoover to Homewood last month. I still work in Hoover though.
Old 11-20-2006, 02:59 PM
1998 2.5TL

Thanks a ton for the instructions, UnsanePyro!
I removed the headunit on Sunday to get the serial number. I'm an amateur and wasn't sure on how well it would go, but the whole process took me only 30 minutes. I saved almost $100 on this job!
Old 01-28-2007, 05:42 PM
Tri State ViP Crew

got it out with supreme ease, thank you.

now to figure out how to put my new one in unless teekay calls me sooner
Old 01-11-2008, 06:29 PM
1st Gear

hey can you post up pics again?
Old 07-17-2008, 01:12 PM
Intermediate

Please please upload the pictures again.

I need to remove my HU to insert the ipod adapter to the back of my HU.

I got a 99 TL. Sweet ride.

thanks