Fuel sending unit Issues

Search this Thread

Old 04-02-2013, 01:02 PM
2nd Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Fuel sending unit Issues

Hey guys! This is my first post on your site, but have been using your site to get answers to questions and repair knowledge for years. I did look around to try and find this answer before post here, but if i missed it pls direct me to that thread pls.

Ok, so I have a fuel sending unit that is gone. It wont give me a reading on the level of fuel in my tank, it will only show me that the tank is always half full. so i know its the fuel gauge sending unit, but the only problem is I have looked for 3 weeks to find this part and am having no luck. If anyone has any idea where i can look pls post a link for me.

I have called acura, checked all the auto stores in my area and looked on ebay, but i dont think im the best at finding car parts and could have missed something.

Again any help would be appreciated!
Old 04-02-2013, 05:21 PM
Instructor

Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts
if im not mistaken it is part of the fuel pump assembly inside of the gas tank. some cars have them without the pump but its still inside the gas tank. might as well replace the whole assembly since youll have the tank out of the car anyway, unless acura was kind enough to put access panels in the trunk, but i HIGHLY doubt that.
Old 04-02-2013, 07:02 PM
97 3.2TLPrem(Sold 3/7/14)

Received 13 Likes on 13 Posts
The pump and the sender are seperate. If you haven't done this job before, I hope you have lots of time and patience because it's a p.i.t.a. You have to completely drop the tank to change the pump or the sender. It involves lots of dissambly, jacking the car up, draining the fuel, supporting and lowering the tank, etc. I did one about 10 years ago when I was a younger man. If I run into any problem that involves dropping the tank on ours, I'll pay someone to do it....or sell the car. All that being said, I think you'll most likely have to find a sending unit at the junkyard and hope it's better than the one you have.

Here's a qoute from fixya on removing a first gen TL gas tank:

Below are the proper steps to removing your vehicle's fuel tank..

Disconnect the negative battery cable.
Relieve the fuel pressure
Remove the rear seat cushion.
Remove the plastic grommet from the floor pan.
Detach the fuel pump electrical harness.
Disconnect the fuel lines from the fuel pump by compressing the tabs on both sides of each nylon push connect fitting and easing the fuel line off of the fuel pump.
Raise and safely support the vehicle securely on jackstands.
Remove the muffler mount.
Remove the heat shields.
Remove the fuel tank cover.
Remove the drain plug and drain the gasoline into a approved container.
Disconnect the fuel lines and remove the fuel filter and base.
Loosen the fuel tank filler pipe clamp at the fuel tank.
Support the fuel tank using a hydraulic jack and a block of wood or other suitable device.
Remove the two fuel tank support strap bolts and position the straps out of the way.
Partially lower the fuel tank to access the fuel tank filler pipe vent tube and disconnect the vent tube and filler pipe from the tank.
Disconnect the fuel vapor tube from the tank.
Lower the tank from the vehicle.
Installation is the reverse of the removal procedure.
Old 04-03-2013, 03:07 AM
Instructor

it does suck thats for sure. but its just time really. if your patient it should really be no problem. anytime i drop a tank i make my own access panels in the trunk for next time.
Old 04-03-2013, 08:07 AM
97 3.2TLPrem(Sold 3/7/14)

Received 13 Likes on 13 Posts
It has nothing to to do with patience, time or skills. It's about the b.s. way that these cars are designed. The are quite a few things in the design of these cars that cause things to be much harder/tedious to work on than they should be. The later generation TLs are actually easier to work on.
Old 04-03-2013, 03:50 PM
Instructor

i see, yes that makes sense. but from what you posted it looks pretty standard. ive yet to do it on this car,but have done it on countless others, i should have been more clear about that, BUT all mechanic work is solely about patience and if you have the time to execute the skill of patience eventually youll finish the job, its all just bolts....now when time is short shit get real haha. thats a whole different game there... but i can only speak of my experiences....
Old 04-11-2013, 10:08 AM
2nd Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Got the fuel sending unit out, now i have no idea whats wrong with it. The thing looks fine, i cleaned the plug-in because it looked pretty dirty. the float on it works, but i heard that the board the float sides up and down on goes out and can be cleaned.

Anyone have any suggestions? Ive already looked for the part, so thats not an option.
Old 04-11-2013, 06:27 PM
Instructor

your right the board is the float rides on is what usually burns out...surely someone makes a replacement...may have to give honda a call and see what they offer....???