Front End Questions

Search this Thread

Old 12-29-2010, 09:40 AM
Three Wheelin'

Received 90 Likes on 85 Posts
Front End Questions

As I was checking underneath the car, I noticed that there was a crack in one of the rubber bushings on my front stabilizer bar end link. I've also noticed that on both sides that they were not tightly screwed down to a snug fit. Is this normal? A picture of what I am talking about is attached. I am looking to change these out and was wondering how hard of job is it to do, and if they should be tighten all the way down or should they be like in the pic (which I don't think)?

Also, my outer tie rod end is fairly new, but have noticed that the rubber boot on one end is cracked. Can I just take it apart, clean it real good, and put a new boot on providing that the joint is still good? I have tried shaking the wheel and there seems to be no play.

My last concern is regarding the front upper control arm. Again, the boot on the joints are also bad, but there are no play or clicking sound yet. I am not looking to replace the boot on them since they are probably the original parts, but am wondering if that joint could come out and can be replaced with another without changing the whole arm?

Thanks in advance for everybody's help. I am looking for the cheapest possible way to fix these things as I am also trying to order the parts to do the tranny screen as well. Any advice would be much appreciated!
Old 12-29-2010, 09:50 AM
Drifting

Received 128 Likes on 123 Posts
Yes, those bushings are about gone, but probably not causing any noise ( clunks) just yet. Easy job, but do both sides at same time and loose the sway bar guide bushings to allow flexibility to install the entire stack of bushings and washers, and get the the nut started. I recently did this on my 2.5TL and there was just barely enough thread length to get the nut started.

OEM is best but there may be aftermarket kits available for much less. See following diagram for OEM parts list. Not sure what the total would be.

http://www.acuraoemparts.com/delray/...All&vinsrch=no

good luck
Old 12-29-2010, 09:58 AM
Three Wheelin'

Originally Posted by TexasHonda
Yes, those bushings are about gone, but probably not causing any noise ( clunks) just yet. Easy job, but do both sides at same time and loose the sway bar guide bushings to allow flexibility to install the entire stack of bushings and washers, and get the the nut started. I recently did this on my 2.5TL and there was just barely enough thread length to get the nut started.

OEM is best but there may be aftermarket kits available for much less. See following diagram for OEM parts list. Not sure what the total would be.

http://www.acuraoemparts.com/delray/...All&vinsrch=no

good luck
So when I go to replace them, do I tighten the top nut enough to sit the bar onto the top bushing or leave a gap like the pic above?
Old 12-29-2010, 02:50 PM
大日本帝国

Received 36 Likes on 31 Posts
It should sit snug. If you look at how yours has a gap up top, it's most likely because the corresponding lower part is crushed.

~Cheers~
Old 12-29-2010, 06:36 PM
Drifting

The problem w/ this design is loading on rubber is high and rubber pressure rupture results in failure inevitably. They do last several years and are not terribly expensive.

good luck
Old 12-30-2010, 11:26 AM
Three Wheelin'

Ok thanks Go90go and Texashonda. Any thoughts on the tie rod end? Should I replace just the dust boot since the rod seems to be in good condition. If so, how hard of a job is it to put the new boot on? And I am assuming that the upper control arm and ball joint is one piece correct?
Old 12-30-2010, 02:26 PM
Drifting

The ball joint boot is available. check ball joint for any play. If it's sound a new boot is easy fix.

good luck
Old 01-03-2011, 09:45 AM
Three Wheelin'

Thanks again for your help!