Wheel Bearing tool?

Search this Thread

Old 06-26-2008, 05:51 AM
Khmer Pride

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts
Wheel Bearing tool?

for those whoever replace wheel bearing before..sounds easy but can anyone recommend me a good wheel bearing removel and presser..i like to keep one in the garage. i check out hub tamer, nice tool but $$ wondering if theres a cheaper one
Old 06-27-2008, 01:14 AM
LDH
I

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I recently helped my friend changed a wheel bearing on his Integra, and we just used a hydraulic press to take everything out, and to press the new one in. Only issue we had was we had to cut the race off the hub because it stayed attached.
Old 06-27-2008, 07:52 PM
Khmer Pride

Originally Posted by LDH
I recently helped my friend changed a wheel bearing on his Integra, and we just used a hydraulic press to take everything out, and to press the new one in. Only issue we had was we had to cut the race off the hub because it stayed attached.
thanks..i was looking for something like that..just couldnt think of it.
Old 06-27-2008, 09:00 PM
Team Owner

Received 1,137 Likes on 1,067 Posts
I know there is a gen1 or 2 diy on this- title includes-rear wheel bearing, because someday you will have to
Old 06-27-2008, 09:24 PM
Khmer Pride

Originally Posted by 01tl4tl
I know there is a gen1 or 2 diy on this- title includes-rear wheel bearing, because someday you will have to
thanks i will search that
Old 06-28-2008, 06:56 AM
Drifting

Received 128 Likes on 123 Posts
You can buy the bearing and hub as a unit at very reasonable prices, so unless you have other reasons for a hydraulic press, it's a tool that will only take up space most of the time. Check Mac Auto Parts on ebay for good prices on hubs assys.

I have never had a bearing failure in any of my Acura or Honda products (knock on wood!). I recently pulled six hub assys on 3 cars to replace rotors and pulled outer part of bearing race in one attempt at an "easy way" and had to tap back in w/ socket. I was worried this bearing might fail but so far OK. There is a special tool heavily advertised which actually pulls the bearing apart rather than pull the hub assy, so hopefully pulling race is OK.

good luck
Old 06-28-2008, 08:59 AM
Khmer Pride

Originally Posted by TexasHonda
You can buy the bearing and hub as a unit at very reasonable prices, so unless you have other reasons for a hydraulic press, it's a tool that will only take up space most of the time. Check Mac Auto Parts on ebay for good prices on hubs assys.

I have never had a bearing failure in any of my Acura or Honda products (knock on wood!). I recently pulled six hub assys on 3 cars to replace rotors and pulled outer part of bearing race in one attempt at an "easy way" and had to tap back in w/ socket. I was worried this bearing might fail but so far OK. There is a special tool heavily advertised which actually pulls the bearing apart rather than pull the hub assy, so hopefully pulling race is OK.

good luck
thanks for that one. sound good..well i check for all 4 wheels they seem fine.so i dont need to replace wheel bearing..but will get one for the future. im hearing clicks in my car when i turn and stop,and my steering virbates..im thinking lower control arm..
Old 06-28-2008, 10:21 AM
LDH
I

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by KrayzieDxC
thanks for that one. sound good..well i check for all 4 wheels they seem fine.so i dont need to replace wheel bearing..but will get one for the future. im hearing clicks in my car when i turn and stop,and my steering virbates..im thinking lower control arm..
That sounds like the cv joint/axles need to be looked at.

The wheel bearing that we changed broke because there was a block of metal on the road, and we hit it at about 80 mph. Blew out 2 nt-01's and damaged the wheel bearing, but the wheel bearing worked fine for weeks after, and it even worked fine after a full day of running on Buttonwillow raceway.

The most common wheel bearing failure is like what TexasHonda said about pulling the hub/bearing assembly to change the rotors on the older accords/2.5tl/vigor. A lot of times people separate the race from the hub, and they don't keep it clean, so when it is put back together the dirt gets in the way of the bearings making the grease dry out and they start to hum when you drive.
Old 06-28-2008, 12:13 PM
Khmer Pride

Originally Posted by LDH
That sounds like the cv joint/axles need to be looked at.

The wheel bearing that we changed broke because there was a block of metal on the road, and we hit it at about 80 mph. Blew out 2 nt-01's and damaged the wheel bearing, but the wheel bearing worked fine for weeks after, and it even worked fine after a full day of running on Buttonwillow raceway.

The most common wheel bearing failure is like what TexasHonda said about pulling the hub/bearing assembly to change the rotors on the older accords/2.5tl/vigor. A lot of times people separate the race from the hub, and they don't keep it clean, so when it is put back together the dirt gets in the way of the bearings making the grease dry out and they start to hum when you drive.
thats what i thought, and thats what i plan on replacing too, both axles, while im at it i put my springs in too.

but can or mayb be something else...my drive side axle boot leaks crazy and it has metal chippin