Tokico shocks

Search this Thread

Old 11-01-2001, 12:13 AM
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question Tokico shocks

I bought the tokico shocks(rear) listed for our TL's (1995-1998) on this website/www.autocarparts.com and installed them on my 1996 2.5TL and they fit perfectly even though the tokicos were a bit shorter than sotck shocks. I already had it dropped with Eibach pro kit but the tokicos gave it an extra drop(1/2 - 1 inch) and it rides very well without rubbing so far. I am now thinking of getting the front pair but I was just wondering that if these tokicos which were made for 1990-1997 Honda Accords fit our cars the konis might also fit too. I was just wondering if any of you guys have installed any aftermarket shocks on their cars.If so let me know what they are and how good are they. Thanks
Old 11-01-2001, 07:30 AM
Racer

how long did it take you to install them??
did you do it yourself??
if not how much was it??
how is the ride??
stiffer or softer??

I'm asking all these questions cause i need to get new shocks and i want aftermarket ones. any help is appreciated.
Old 11-01-2001, 09:33 AM
Safety Car

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
if you want to check the price or ask questions about it. contact TIM or "snook". he owns this website and www.autocarparts.com... better yet, try pm'ing him. he can deliver it pretty fast.. he don't bs
Old 11-01-2001, 10:31 AM
Racer

The tokicos are a little bit stiffer so I will talk to tim and see if he will let me try out the konis because I heard they were better than the tokicos.I took my cer to a friend(mechanic) to install them for me,I was there watchimg him install them and it took about 1-2hrs to install the rear ones even though he was slow and I paid him $50.00.I am planning to install the konis myself if I get them.Which one do you think is better Konis or Tokicos?
Old 11-01-2001, 03:47 PM
Racer

yeah, i know about Tim's site. i've bought things there before. the Koni Yellows are about the best shocks out there. way better than the Tokico's. i thought some guys on here said that they didn't work with our cars though?? well, if you get them let me know how everything works out.
Old 11-01-2001, 04:09 PM
Racer

I just got word from my friend(he is into cars/racing) and he said that tokicos are one of the best shocks out there he said they were next to neuspeed which he calls the best.I am still confused so I might stay with the tokicos(blue).If someone has tried the konis and they did not fit please let me know B/C I know the tokicos will.
Old 11-02-2001, 12:07 PM
Instructor

i installed some KYB AGX adjustable shocks a couple weeks ago. i set it up with some ground control coilovers. me and my homeboy did it. it was pretty easy to do and didn't take too long. tha ride is really smooth. i would of gotten the koni yellows but dem thangs is too much money fo me.
Old 11-02-2001, 12:16 PM
Racer

Originally posted by DuEcE.5_TL
i installed some KYB AGX adjustable shocks a couple weeks ago. i set it up with some ground control coilovers. me and my homeboy did it. it was pretty easy to do and didn't take too long. tha ride is really smooth. i would of gotten the koni yellows but dem thangs is too much money fo me.
What kind of car do you have and I am trying to decide which one I want
Tokico illuminas or koni yellows.
Which one do you think is better and will the konis fit b/c I know the tokicos will
Old 11-02-2001, 12:36 PM
Instructor

i got a 96 2.5 tl. im sure the koni yellows are betta than any tokicos. koni yellows will fit our rides. even though autocarparts has tokico blues listed as tha only shocks for tha 1st gen tl's, i know the tokico illuminas and tha koni yellows (runs fo about $599 a set of 4) will fit fo sho.
Old 11-02-2001, 01:50 PM
Din
Pro

Duece.5 TL your car wouldnt happen to have Aldstats would it?
Old 11-02-2001, 01:51 PM
Din
Pro

Shocks and springs from a 94-97 Accord (non v6) will fit the 95-98 2.5TL.
Old 11-02-2001, 02:24 PM
Three Wheelin'

i wanna get the KYB adjustables, Din, you sure about the fittings?
Old 11-02-2001, 04:47 PM
Instructor

DIN,

yeah, thats me rollin on da alstadts. you seen me around town mang? hows your ride look?

to let all yall know...these shocks will all fit our our 1st gen tl's:
tokico blues
tokico illuminas
KYB AGX adjustable
koni yellows
Old 11-02-2001, 11:08 PM
Din
Pro

Duece.5 you know me, I'm Danny, Kathy friend. I dont have my TL anymore, dont know if you ever saw it.

I was serching Eibach site and the part #s for the lowering springs for the 95-98 TL match for the 90-97 Accords so I assumed the struts would fit to. Alot of things from the 94-97 Accord are the same for the TL, like the seats from an Accord will fit the TL.
Old 11-03-2001, 12:57 AM
Instructor

DANNY??? no sh1t?? haha damn small f*kkin world mang. you're a moderator?? yeah man too bad you don't got your tl no mo. i saw it a couple times though. you had some chromes rims on it and had a screen up in it. i just got home from slicks mang. you and horny was just at hooters grubbin huh? dat boy just went to glitter. i flipped home. time fo bed playa. holla
Old 11-03-2001, 02:25 AM
Instructor

Koni yellows for TL

Hi DuEcE.5_TL,

You mentioned that Koni Yellows will fit a 1st generation TL. Do you order them under a Honda Accord part number? If so, what model and year ?

Do they fit exactly the same as stock without any drop in car height? I have Eibach Pro Kit installed and do not want it dropped any lower. KK939 said that the Tomicos dropped his car (rear) about 1/2 to 1". Also do 2.5TL and 3.2TL have the same shocks?

Thanks for your reply.
Old 11-03-2001, 04:49 AM
Din
Pro

Yup I got the job as a mod.....

We jsut went to Vision, Horny's idea **** was dead..
Old 11-03-2001, 10:17 AM
Instructor

TL12,

well the only reason why i know that all those shocks will fit our rides is cuz ground control told me when i ordered my coilovers from dem. they know what tha hell they talkin bout. but reading what otha peeps on this forum has said, i think the koni yellows for tha 97 model accord will fit our rides. im not sure if these shocks alone will drop your ride any. anyone know about this???

DIN,

Vision was dead? well it just opened up and not too many peeps know bout it yet. watch... its gonna blow up in about a month or two. you know everyone misses SOME. im fittin to wash my ride and take pics if it dont rain mang. holla
Old 11-03-2001, 10:35 AM
Racer

I have decided that i am going to go with the tokico illuminas(adjustable) b/c I heard that the koni yellows are hard to fit on our Tl's and need some adjustment and overall I believe the tokico illuminas are better than the koni yellows.see www.carreview.com and you can review the shocks there
Old 11-03-2001, 10:40 AM
Racer

Re: Koni yellows for TL

Originally posted by TL12
Hi DuEcE.5_TL,

You mentioned that Koni Yellows will fit a 1st generation TL. Do you order them under a Honda Accord part number? If so, what model and year ?

Do they fit exactly the same as stock without any drop in car height? I have Eibach Pro Kit installed and do not want it dropped any lower. KK939 said that the Tomicos dropped his car (rear) about 1/2 to 1". Also do 2.5TL and 3.2TL have the same shocks?

Thanks for your reply.
\
I also have Eibach Pro Kit on my TL thats why i am changing from the tokico blues to the tokico illuminas so I can adjust the height and comfort of my ride.The 3.2 and 2.5's do have the same shocks.
Old 11-03-2001, 11:06 AM
Instructor

kk939,

with tha tokico illuminas you can adjust ride height? i know you can set tha stiffness but i didnt know bout tha height mang. you gonna install dem yourself? tha front is way easier than doin tha back. dont gotta take out tha backseat and shet.
Old 11-03-2001, 11:20 AM
Instructor

dont mind me fellaz...im just tryin to post mo and get that NEWBIE from out unda my name.

that carreview.com was pretty interesting. haha they was cappin on the tokico blues pretty hard. i was about to get them. im glad i didnt. maaan the only disappointing thing that i read about tha shocks i got, tha KYB AGX, is that is doesnt work good if you lower your ride mo than 1.5". thats no good mang. thats too damn high fo me. i gotta roll at least 2.5".
Old 11-03-2001, 06:15 PM
Din
Pro

Spring/Strut install is easy once you get the hang of it. It takes me about 45 to do a whole car.
Old 11-04-2001, 10:57 PM
Three Wheelin'

where can i buy the tokico illuminas? from Tim's site or do i have to go search for them on the web?
Old 11-06-2001, 01:27 PM
Racer

After a llot of thought and questioning I finally bought the Koni sport(Yellow) instead of the tokico illuminas.Almost everyone I asked said that Koni yellows were better than tokico illuminas so I decided to go with it.Anyone who wants it can go to www.autocarparts.com I believe it is listed there but if it is not it is the same as the ones listed for Honda accord 1990-1997.After I install them I will let you guys know how it rides.
Old 11-07-2001, 04:58 PM
Racer

Originally posted by DuEcE.5_TL
kk939,

with tha tokico illuminas you can adjust ride height? i know you can set tha stiffness but i didnt know bout tha height mang. you gonna install dem yourself? tha front is way easier than doin tha back. dont gotta take out tha backseat and shet.
I eventually got the koni yellows and I received it today and I just want to let you know that you can adjust the height in the koni yellows
Old 11-11-2001, 08:23 PM
Instructor

Originally posted by kk939

I eventually got the koni yellows and I received it today and I just want to let you know that you can adjust the height in the koni yellows
Do you have these installed now? Did you have to do more than install the springs and bolt the new ones in place? Some people have complained of having to drill out the suspension bolt holes to make their Koni Sports fit. Also, was the base height of the shocks the same as stock before adjustment?

Please let me know because if you experienced little problems, I will order a set for my TL

Thanks for your help!
Old 11-11-2001, 11:58 PM
Racer

Do you have these installed now? Did you have to do more than install the springs and bolt the new ones in place? Some people have complained of having to drill out the suspension bolt holes to make their Koni Sports fit. Also, was the base height of the shocks the same as stock before adjustment?

Please let me know because if you experienced little problems, I will order a set for my TL

Thanks for your help!
Yes,I have these installed now and I did not have to drill anything they fit perfectly in the frint ones I set it at the sport setting and the rear at normal.The shock is a little bit shorter than the stock ones but trust me these shocks are wonderful.On my 2.5TL I have eibach springs with these shocks and 18X8 inch wheels and it gave it a perfect droop with absolutely no rubbing in any form.When you order the shocks let me know and I will help you if you have any Questions/problems.
Old 11-12-2001, 01:22 AM
Instructor

Yes,I have these installed now and I did not have to drill anything they fit perfectly in the frint ones I set it at the sport setting and the rear at normal.The shock is a little bit shorter than the stock ones but trust me these shocks are wonderful.On my 2.5TL I have eibach springs with these shocks and 18X8 inch wheels and it gave it a perfect droop with absolutely no rubbing in any form.When you order the shocks let me know and I will help you if you have any Questions/problems.
Thanks very much for your feedback! Could you post pictures of your TL or let me know if you have a site.

Thanks!
Old 11-12-2001, 01:26 PM
Racer

I will try to post pictures by the end of the week
Old 11-14-2001, 08:29 PM
Racer

Thanks very much for your feedback! Could you post pictures of your TL or let me know if you have a site.

Thanks!
I just posted some pictures you can see them at:
http://www.acura-tl.com/forum/showth...hreadid=25440.
Enjoy.
Old 11-25-2001, 01:34 AM
Instructor

I just posted some pictures you can see them at:
http://www.acura-tl.com/forum/showth...hreadid=25440.
Enjoy.
Hi kk939, I got the Koni Yellow Shocks (Front: 8041-1185
Rear: 8040-1176) and the rear fits fine lowering the car about 1/2" more than the stock ones. The fronts were really short. With the clip on the highest groove, the car would sit about 3" lower than the stock shocks. With my Eibach's the total drop would be about 4", which looked more than your car photos.

I took the front shocks to a machine shop and got them to cut another groove much higher up to give me about a 1-3/4" total drop with the Eibachs.

You did not seem to have much problem with your installation. Are the front shock numbers the wrong ones and also did you have problems with the brake line brackets?
Old 11-25-2001, 01:42 AM
Instructor

Originally posted by Din
Spring/Strut install is easy once you get the hang of it. It takes me about 45 to do a whole car.
Din, you must be extremely fast. I started to replace my front shocks with Koni yellows by removing the bolt that holds the botton of the shock bracket to the suspension bushing and the suspension did not drop out of the way as I thought.

What bolts on the suspension do you removed to be able to take the shock assembly out?
Old 11-25-2001, 03:46 PM
Racer

Hi kk939, I got the Koni Yellow Shocks (Front: 8041-1185
Rear: 8040-1176) and the rear fits fine lowering the car about 1/2" more than the stock ones. The fronts were really short. With the clip on the highest groove, the car would sit about 3" lower than the stock shocks. With my Eibach's the total drop would be about 4", which looked more than your car photos.

I took the front shocks to a machine shop and got them to cut another groove much higher up to give me about a 1-3/4" total drop with the Eibachs.

You did not seem to have much problem with your installation. Are the front shock numbers the wrong ones and also did you have problems with the brake line brackets?
When you say the highest groove do you mean the spotrs position or normal position. Is it the highest position when the shock is facing upwards.As of the part #'s I posted the numbers somewhere on this forum but if you cant find it let me know and I will post it again cause I cant remember it now.
Old 11-28-2001, 12:42 AM
Instructor

When you say the highest groove do you mean the spotrs position or normal position. Is it the highest position when the shock is facing upwards.As of the part #'s I posted the numbers somewhere on this forum but if you cant find it let me know and I will post it again cause I cant remember it now.
I'm not sure what the sport position is, however there are grooves (I believe 3) cut in the shocks so that you can adjust the height of the car by moving the circlip to different grooves. When you hold the shock in the position as it would be mounted on the car, the highest position is the top groove. Did you install your Koni's with the clip in this position? This clip is what holds the bottom spring cup in positon. I hope I explained it okay.
Old 11-28-2001, 09:57 AM
Racer

I'm not sure what the sport position is, however there are grooves (I believe 3) cut in the shocks so that you can adjust the height of the car by moving the circlip to different grooves. When you hold the shock in the position as it would be mounted on the car, the highest position is the top groove. Did you install your Koni's with the clip in this position? This clip is what holds the bottom spring cup in positon. I hope I explained it okay.
from your explaination I put the cup in the lowest position,how about you?
Old 11-28-2001, 03:52 PM
Instructor

from your explaination I put the cup in the lowest position,how about you?
If I put the cup in the lowest position on my shocks, the front of my car would be dropped about 5" with eibach springs. Somehow, I have a feeling my shocks are different than yours. My koni front shocks are about 2" shorter in total length (extended length) than the stock ones. It would help a lot if you can find the stock number of your front Koni Sport shocks.
Old 11-28-2001, 05:22 PM
Racer

These are the model #'s for the shocks
Front: 8041-1185
Rear: 8040-1176
these are the same models as the ones that will fit a Honda accord.They are also sold at www.autocarparts.com.
BTW where you set your shocks is the sport position(same as mine)
Old 11-29-2001, 01:40 AM
Instructor

These are the model #'s for the shocks
Front: 8041-1185
Rear: 8040-1176
these are the same models as the ones that will fit a Honda accord.They are also sold at www.autocarparts.com.
BTW where you set your shocks is the sport position(same as mine)
You are absolutely right about the shock numbers listed on the autocarparts site for TL Sport shocks, however #8040-1176 for the rear is a not a sport model. It is painted yellow, but is a standard Koni model without rebound adjustment.

Unfortunately I did not check with Koni before I ordered the front and rear shocks and found out the expensive way that #8040-1176 for the rear was not the rebound adjustable one. It cost me an additional $650 cdn to purchase the correct ones which is #8041-1168 because the original purchase was non-refundable. All Koni Sport shocks (external rebound adjustable) start with the #8041.

I guess if you are happy with standard Konis for the rear, it is okay, but people should know this before purchasing.