Scratching/Metallic noize from front end

Search this Thread

Old 09-13-2004, 05:44 PM
Registered Driver

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Scratching/Metallic noize from front end

Well, ever since I have picked up my car, I have noticed a sound coming from the right front end. It only happens at slow speeds, and has a metallic sort of scratching noize to it. I will try and pinpoint it better, and when it happens too.

It did seem to go away for a couple days though, when I got my exhuast manifold replaced, though they say there is a piece of flex coupling that may vibrate a small amount and cause some noize, but I don't think this is what the sound is.

The car stays straight while slowing down, if I let off the wheel it does nto go left or right at all.

Also, I noticed that there is a clicking from the front end after I turn off the car and get out, though I can't get a good fix on where it is, stuff like that is ahrd for me, having mild hearing loss, and lots of ear problems in general.

Has anyone else had a similar noize, and what was the problem?

Hopefully I can get it checked out in a couple days when I go get my new plugs/wires
Old 09-13-2004, 06:27 PM
Registered Driver

Alright, just went out for a quick drive.

It does not make noize while I am on the brakes.

It does not make noize when I am on the gas, unless I am only on it very very lightly.

It happens often, but is not completely consistant. It seems though that it is a problem with my brakes (oh no!). If I speed up to about 10MPH, then just coast down to going as slow as possible, it barely makes the noize. If I get on the brakes lightly to stop, it makes the noize pretty bad. If I get on the brakes really hard to stop, it makes the noize, though usually not as bad. Also, it seems like if I stay stopped for like, 5-10+ seconds, the noize does not end up as bad either.

Could this possibly be something simple like air in the system? Horribly worn pads/rotors? Wheel bearings I thought also, because it seems like there is a very very soft, consistant squeak or similar to the scratching/metallic noize.

I really hope this doesn't turn out too expensive...
Old 09-13-2004, 11:17 PM
Swift 3 B-A-N-G-E-R

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Have you tried it will your car was in park or neutral... then pushing on the gas a little... that might help you kind of know if its something you have to be driving... then it might be something with the rotation of the tires... like breaks... or something... my breaks have a little metal thing that looks like a thick paper clip... it broke in half and while i was driving it would vibrate and make this metal to metal noise in the front right end... it was my front right break that had it... but when i stoped... nothing... reved the engine and nothing... maybe that... check the breaks... if i had a pic of the breaks i'll show you but i don't have a digi cam... if someone can take a pic of their stock break pads... i can point it out... but then again... it might not be that...
Old 09-14-2004, 09:45 AM
giggity giggity giggity

I have the same exact thing, I think..only in the low RPM's when starting out, a metal vibrating noise comes from the front of my car. It sounds like shit, so anyone know what it is?
Old 09-14-2004, 03:00 PM
Registered Driver

Mine wasn't a vibrating.

I saw the clip thing you were talking about spooky, mine is fine.

What they said it is at the dealership today is that the pads are fine, but the rotors have a whole lot of rust, and rust deposits on them, and they want $600+ to resurface them, and put on new pads.

Is there anything I can do to get some of the rust off at least, until I can pull together the money?
Old 09-14-2004, 04:03 PM
Reppin' the T-Dot!!

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Crap, I had two new x-drilled front rotors and ceramic pads at all four corners INSTALLED for $450 CDN!!! That's too much money.
Old 09-14-2004, 04:04 PM
Reppin' the T-Dot!!

If the rotors are badly rusted it IS best to replace them, but look at aftermarket, and look at getting cross-drilled. They'll be less prone to warping.
Old 09-14-2004, 04:08 PM
Registered Driver

Need someone to isntall them too, maybe, I hear its not too hard to do it yourself, just time consuming, especially the first time?
Old 09-14-2004, 04:56 PM
Swift 3 B-A-N-G-E-R

You have about $100 bucks...??? if you do... then to resurface them at Midas you will cost about 40 bucks each... its just labor... since they are your parts... they will also ask if instead you just want to replace them... which will be about 90 bucks each rotor and about 100 to 200 in labor... so 600 bucks sounds a bit much... about 400 sounds about right... my wifes honda accord... her front breaks... rotor and pads were done new... the rear rotors were just resurfaced... and it came out to be only 600 bucks...

Oh and go to autozone if you don't have the cash and ask them what you can buy that will clean break stuff off your rotors... the'll be able to help you out... they'll even recommend some products most of the time...
Old 09-15-2004, 07:28 AM
Reppin' the T-Dot!!

Changing brake pads is not that hard, most difficult part can be pushing the piston back into the caliper. There is a tool for this, but if you don't have it you can just use pliers (so long as the caliper is not siezed, then you're gonna be screwed). Basically, you remove the wheel, remove one of the bolts that holds on the caliper and loosen the other one. FLip the caliper up and remove the two screws that hold on the brake rotor (it's best to put the screw driver into the slot, then hit it with a hammer or mallet a few times before you try to turn it or you will strip the head on the screw). Put on the new rotor, replace the pads in the caliper (be sure to use the same shims if there are any) and re-attach the caliper. Be sure to use Anti-squeel on the back of the pads though before you install them. Hope that helps!!
Old 09-15-2004, 08:00 PM
Registered Driver

Well, the pads are alright, but the rotors have quite a groove in them, maybe I should look into some new ones sometime soon?

There was a bunch of rust built up around the edge of the rotor, the horizontal part, not the part that the pad contacts, and I scraped a lot of it off, and the noize is greatly reduced now.

A lot easier then I thought