Need some thoughts on modification plans...

Search this Thread

Old 04-23-2009, 12:57 PM
8th Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Need some thoughts on modification plans...

So, I currently have a 1997 3.2TL and I need some advice on some engine work I am thinking of doing.
Firstly, I intend to install the Type II heads and a short ram intake (possible a CAI if anyone can suggest a way to modify one to work). After that, I was thinking of converting the entire exhaust to 2.25" and putting a Magnaflow 14815 on as the muffler.
Now I realize on the stock ECU I am not going to see too much come out of this, but I was thinking of using a JET V-Force module to tune it a bit.

Does anyone have any idea what kind of gains I may see?
Also, does anyone have any idea of any issues I may run into with this setup?

My overall goal is to have about 250-260hp at the crank.

PS. Sorry I have not posted much before, but I have been trying to research as much as I can before asking questions. Not a big fan of being smacked with the search stick.
Old 04-23-2009, 01:15 PM
Cruisin'

Well what you could do since you have already added the type2 heads, I imagine you already have the type2 cams in as well then go on and get the type2 manifold and make it into a type2, which pushes 230hp at the crank. You could also add some OBX Headers with the cat delete pipe, and for exhaust I would go 2.5 inch as well....I didnt go the type2 route in my Legend though I just threw a 2002RL motor in there ...I can also help you out with a chip for the ECU..PM me I have a vast knowledge of the C32 motor.
Old 04-23-2009, 07:08 PM
Senior Moderator

Received 1,090 Likes on 767 Posts
Originally Posted by 91LS 3.5
Well what you could do since you have already added the type2 heads, I imagine you already have the type2 cams in as well then go on and get the type2 manifold and make it into a type2, which pushes 230hp at the crank. You could also add some OBX Headers with the cat delete pipe, and for exhaust I would go 2.5 inch as well....I didnt go the type2 route in my Legend though I just threw a 2002RL motor in there ...I can also help you out with a chip for the ECU..PM me I have a vast knowledge of the C32 motor.
except the problem is our TL's are OBD II... so unless you are going to repin the whole setup in order to run an OBD I setup, you won't benefit from the T2 cams and head...

you may want to talk to go90... as he was successful with a 3.5L swap into his TL... add in CAI, OBX, exhaust and i think you can achieve the numbers your are looking for...
Old 04-23-2009, 07:19 PM
大日本帝国

Received 36 Likes on 31 Posts
^^ He said he intended to do the Type II heads. Also, doing the Type II heads will require converting to OBDI. Ken1997TL has gone that route.

JET chips are a rip and that's not tuning. If you are going to convert to OBDI (super pain in the ass), go for Telion chips. You have to socket the Legend ECU for that but they're easy to find.

@OP,

The easiest way to gain good power NA would be an intake, but to take that a step further, you can get the Type II manifold which is basically a factory ported and polished version of the one in your car now.

~Cheers~

P.S. Kam, didn't see your post until after I hit post, haha.
Old 04-23-2009, 07:21 PM
大日本帝国

91LS, I also have a C35 from a 2000 and I re-did the wiring from OBDIIb to OBDIIa and I pass California emissions without issue. You can also ask FallenAngel about it.

~Cheers~
Old 04-23-2009, 07:24 PM
Three Wheelin'

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by Go90go
but to take that a step further, you can get the Type II manifold which is basically a factory ported and polished version of the one in your car now.

~Cheers~
The type II intake manifold is far from ported and polished. It just has shorter runners and each runner if opened wider on the plenum end, allowing a larger volume air to flow smoother and quicker.
Old 04-23-2009, 07:37 PM
8th Gear

Hmmm. Yeah the problem was I was assuming the conversion of the engine to a Type II via replacing the afore mentioned parts would get the gains I wanted. After considering you all's replies and actually thinking about it for a second, I didn't factor in the wiring problems.

To Go90go, How much of a pain was your swap to the 3.5?

I'm a certified electronic technician, but I have never really dug too far into the car's ECU and harnesses. I know I have quite a bit of work to look forward to, but at the same time I want to keep it to a minimum.

Ideally, my goal will be the end of it as far as engine goes. After that, I'm working on suspension, aesthetics, and audio. I just want to get this car to the point where it is a clean, aggressive, and decently powerful vehicle.
Old 04-23-2009, 09:35 PM
Senior Moderator

Received 1,090 Likes on 767 Posts
a mild 50 shot can also give you what you are looking for... :nos:
Old 04-23-2009, 10:02 PM
8th Gear

Oh trust me I considered it, but for one I wont be drag racing and for another, I would feel a bit like a cast member on the fast and the furious. I would much rather have the power all the time.

I originally picked this car because I have always loved the look of them and they are no slouch stock. I just happened to buy a rather poorly kept one and my financial situation allows me to build part by part, but there is no way I can buy a whole vehicle for a long time.
Old 04-24-2009, 02:32 AM
大日本帝国

Originally Posted by desired_speeds
The type II intake manifold is far from ported and polished. It just has shorter runners and each runner if opened wider on the plenum end, allowing a larger volume air to flow smoother and quicker.
Which is basically what happens after you port and polish a manifold... Haha.
Originally Posted by fireytom
Hmmm. Yeah the problem was I was assuming the conversion of the engine to a Type II via replacing the afore mentioned parts would get the gains I wanted. After considering you all's replies and actually thinking about it for a second, I didn't factor in the wiring problems.

To Go90go, How much of a pain was your swap to the 3.5?
6 days of 12 hours of actual work (spaced over a one month period) with no food and surviving of cigarettes and coffee. Ken was there telling me to get back to work since I'd loosen three bolts and take a smoke break. It took a month total because some days I'd wake up and look at her and just think, F-it. I'm not working today. Then my GF flew over from Japan and I drove her around in the Rover since she wouldn't let me work on the car while she was back in town.

God I hate the Mercedes I'm driving now. The door locks started fucking up and sometimes I can't get out of the car. Then sometimes I can't get back into it. One of the turn signals started working again after throwing the car around, but the damn thing displays a warning every time I start it. I fixed my friend's '97 Corolla that had the lock problem and now I've got to do this one's. Funny thing is, this Merc is an '04... Gotta love that German quality!

I miss my car, .

~Cheers~
Old 04-27-2009, 01:56 PM
8th Gear

Quick question. Is there any way to run the 3.5 motor off of the 3.2 ECU?

Also, if this is feasible, would it be any improvement, or a waste of time?
Old 04-27-2009, 02:11 PM
大日本帝国

That's what I did. I swapped harnesses and redid some wiring and turned the 2000 OBDIIb C35 into an OBDIIa. I haven't tested it with an OBDIIa C35 ECU, but I'd imagine it being almost identical.

~Cheers~
Old 04-28-2009, 06:15 PM
Three Wheelin'

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by Go90go
Which is basically what happens after you port and polish a manifold... Haha.

~Cheers~
when you port and polish the manifold, it wouldn't leave all of the rough edges in the manifold still. The texture would mostly be gone and it would be much smoother. expensive as hell to port n polish one of these manifolds... around $600.

ohh yea... it would have been faster to pull that damn engine if you just bought the leveler which is dirt cheap.