Locking Mechanism

Search this Thread

Old 07-11-2004, 06:54 PM
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Locking Mechanism

If my car is locked, about every 15-20 seconds it will re lock and keep relocking itself. This is not a everytime thing, but recently it seems to be happining more often. Any ideas or info about this. And just today i got home and the alarm was goin off. I think this may have been triggard by the locking mechanism HELP!!
Old 07-11-2004, 07:19 PM
Rollin'... White 2 seater

Yeah mane I have the same issue but my alarm hasn't gone off yet. I am not sure what is causing this issue. I am thinking about getting an aftermarket alarm, i hope it will help out. Do you have an aftermarket alarm already?
Old 07-11-2004, 08:48 PM
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I think I've heard about this before, I think you have to get the locking mechanism replaced, but I'm sure someone knows for sure and will step in...
Old 07-11-2004, 10:49 PM
LDH
I

i'm assuming you only hear it out of a certain door when its locking. it's caused by a little broken ring. the ring was put in so that once the door locks the thing stops rotating and no more noise. but over time it breaks and causes the noise to be heard and as a result alarms going off. i wish i was there when mine was replaced but i wasnt. but when i tried asking my mechanic how he did it he said that i'd have to take apart the motor for him to show me. but he told me not to because i might risk the parts falling out of place. he said he fixed it out of a fluke and it ended up working out for the best. but that was the case for my car
Old 07-12-2004, 01:08 AM
Pro

damm.. it seems as if one person goes through a problem we all go through it.. I started realizing this problem about a week ago. I have a feeling its the alarm i have the cheap caar alarm that they overprize at the dealership. gonna go sometime and go install one it its the alarm that is causing it..
Old 07-29-2004, 04:35 PM
6th Gear

How my friend fixed the lock mechanism

I had a similar problem, everytime I locked my drivers side door I would have a loud buzzing sound for a couple of seconds. The dealership said it sounded like I needed a new lock actuator but they would need to charge me $100 to take the door apart and diagnose the problem for sure. Rather, I searched on the forum and read about the black rubber ring breaking, like LDH mentioned. My friend and I went up to Home Depot and bought a black rubber pipe fitting for $2 and cut a piece out to fit over the locking arm to replace the broken ring. Problem solved and it has been blissful silence when I lock my doors ever since. Hope this helps.
Old 07-30-2004, 05:59 PM
Reppin' the T-Dot!!

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Originally Posted by Kerry
I had a similar problem, everytime I locked my drivers side door I would have a loud buzzing sound for a couple of seconds. The dealership said it sounded like I needed a new lock actuator but they would need to charge me $100 to take the door apart and diagnose the problem for sure. Rather, I searched on the forum and read about the black rubber ring breaking, like LDH mentioned. My friend and I went up to Home Depot and bought a black rubber pipe fitting for $2 and cut a piece out to fit over the locking arm to replace the broken ring. Problem solved and it has been blissful silence when I lock my doors ever since. Hope this helps.
Wish I had known about this one before I went out and got an aftermarket actuator and installed it, fixed the problem, but it's always nice to keep the OEM stuff fixed if possible...if the a/m actuator dies, I'll fix that problem on the factory one. Nice to know still! (For when the NEXT door breaks!)
Old 08-01-2004, 09:27 AM
10th Gear

yep, me too. i lock it, then once i close my door it keeps relocking. sometimes when im driving and ill hit a bump it will relock too. it happens sporadically and not frequent enough to me to take it anywhere to get fixed.