How To Change Timing Belt

Search this Thread

Old 10-28-2004, 09:48 AM
9th Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
How To Change Timing Belt

I'm going to change the timing belt on my in-laws Acura TL 2.5. I've done timing belts on other cars, but never on one of these. Anyone one know of any web sites that have instructions with pictures? Next question is do I really have to use Honda coolant? Does
anyone else make a coolant that is compatible? TIA
Old 10-28-2004, 12:52 PM
Safety Car

Received 487 Likes on 249 Posts
You need to find a coolant that is compatible with an all aluminum cooling system.
Old 10-28-2004, 01:00 PM
Swift 3 B-A-N-G-E-R

Originally Posted by adr5
I'm going to change the timing belt on my in-laws Acura TL 2.5. I've done timing belts on other cars, but never on one of these. Anyone one know of any web sites that have instructions with pictures? Next question is do I really have to use Honda coolant? Does
anyone else make a coolant that is compatible? TIA
never changed the timing belt on my 2.5 but i would like to... its been 40,000 miles since i got my quote from the Dealer, $1300.00 and that would be cool if someone can find the instruction on how to change it as a DIY... What i can give you is a picture of how everything comes together... just a pic... view below...

Thanks to the website acuraautomotiveparts.org
Old 10-29-2004, 01:20 PM
Pro

spookey,,

dont do it.. i just had my cousin work on my car (ex chrysler- dodge -jeep_ technician that opened up his new shop in East Los Angeles). He charged me $800.00 with Acura OEM parts.. for

New Water Pump
Timing Belt,
Oil Change
Oil Filter
Clean the Throttle Body
Clean the Fuel Injectors
power steering belt
alternator belt
ac belt
spark plugs
valve cover gasket
ignitino rotor
fuel filter

I think its a preety reasonable price for all that he did, and I dropped the car off at 10:00 am and he was done with it around 6:00pm

Now quick note for ALL the NOOOBs out there. In order to remove one of the parts that holds the timing belt and water pump you need a special tool. I had purchased it for my cousin when I had my Acura Vigor. It cost about 150.00 for the part and NEED it too remove the timing belt. second the first time we did it on the Vigor, it took 3 guys too be able to make enough pressure to UNSCREW the part that holds in the timing belt.. FYI. I know its a bitch too remove so be carefull to all the mechanically challenged people out there(im one of them)

So spooky save yourself some money, drive down to LA, get another hotel room Friday Night, Drop of the car and it can be done on Saturday.. (by appt only...LOL)

just a thought

PS you can email me the video to lupe@bookworm25.com

Tranny Flush
Cap and Rotor Replacement
Old 10-30-2004, 12:31 AM
9th Gear

Originally Posted by ELA.TL
spookey,,
In order to remove one of the parts that holds the timing belt and water pump you need a special tool. I had purchased it for my cousin when I had my Acura Vigor. It cost about 150.00 for the part and NEED it too remove the timing belt. second the first time we did it on the Vigor, it took 3 guys too be able to make enough pressure to UNSCREW the part that holds in the timing belt.. FYI. I know its a bitch too remove so be carefull to all the mechanically challenged people out there(im one of them)
So spooky save yourself some money, drive down to LA, get another hotel room Friday Night, Drop of the car and it can be done on Saturday.. (by appt only...LOL)
j
I'm curiious as to what this special tool did? Was it the one that holds the pulley from
moving while you loosen the bolt that holds it in place? I plan on using an impact
wrench, so I don't need the two other helpers that you had to loosen the bolt. I hope
the impact wrench I have is powerful enough.
Old 10-30-2004, 10:38 AM
Pro

you know what he tried the impact wrench with no success last time its a pain.. we had tried it which made us go and buy this tool. go ahead and try it but i do remember us trying it last time and it would not budge
Old 10-30-2004, 11:13 AM
Swift 3 B-A-N-G-E-R

Originally Posted by ELA.TL
spookey,,

dont do it.. i just had my cousin work on my car (ex chrysler- dodge -jeep_ technician that opened up his new shop in East Los Angeles). He charged me $800.00 with Acura OEM parts.. for

New Water Pump
Timing Belt,
Oil Change
Oil Filter
Clean the Throttle Body
Clean the Fuel Injectors
power steering belt
alternator belt
ac belt
spark plugs
valve cover gasket
ignitino rotor
fuel filter

I think its a preety reasonable price for all that he did, and I dropped the car off at 10:00 am and he was done with it around 6:00pm
... ... ...

just a thought

PS you can email me the video to lupe@bookworm25.com

Tranny Flush
Cap and Rotor Replacement
That would be cool... you say 8 bills right??? that isn't just the family discount??? because that would be cool... and i'm down to go to LA again... grab a hotel on Friday... drop the car off then get it by Saturday and go for a cruise through LA a bit more...

I sent you the 3 video clips of the meet... hope you got them ok... and hope you can see them and post them up... i also sent them to 1fasttl... video is a bit ugly... but its video...
Old 10-30-2004, 04:28 PM
Pro

you know the only diff would be on the parts, i just spoke to him, but it would be somewhere around there. It would not go up drastically and still would be cheaper than what was quoted. But he said it would need to be for a saturday that way he can finish up, that day and you could use it...LOL

ill post the pics later on today...