Car shaking

Search this Thread

Old 02-04-2008, 10:33 AM
Instructor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Car shaking

My car is shaking when i go > 80 Km/h. i use to go untill 160 km/h and it never shaked like that before any idea why is it happning ? I did the alignment like 5 months a go and tire alignment like 2 month a go. and This morning when i was going to school it started @ 60 . when i pass 80 the car feels like when u press accelerator every sec and let go but the engin Rpm stays at the same place. when i come home the car is smooth no noise nothing same thing yestarday night.
Old 02-05-2008, 06:12 AM
Pro

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
You know what, when I was going to school yesterday, I too noticed that the car was shaking while going 100'ish. The problem is that during rush hour its hard to reach 100 so I didn't get to experience it much. At first I thought that it might be the tires, so I put some air into them since they were slightly under inflated. I guess that on this morning's drive I'll see if it has changed something.

It's weird that we both had the same symptoms, on the same morning, in the same city. Maybe the roads were covered with some sort of shit, or maybe the temperature had something to do with it. Which HWY do you take?
Old 02-05-2008, 06:52 AM
Instructor

i take 15 (decarie), 40. and marchel-laurin to school. in marchel-laurin it made that wierd thing, and i was driving to sherbrook yestarday night it was fine. lets see what happen.
Old 02-05-2008, 11:31 AM
Safety Car

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
your wheels are probably bent, either visible from the outter side or the inner side.
Old 02-05-2008, 11:47 AM
Pro

I take 15, and it was shaking while I was on it. However, with my now well inflated tires, it runs very smoothly. I went 130'ish today and it was very nice.

By the way which school do you go to, since it seems we're taking almost the same route. Instead of going to Marcel-Laurin, I go on Decarie, and with a couple of turns I arrive at Vanier.
Old 02-05-2008, 08:36 PM
大日本帝国

Received 36 Likes on 31 Posts
I'd check your brake pads, too. My über-warped rotors caused my car to shake violently at 180+.

~Cheers~

P.S. That and after losing a balancing weight on one of my rims, but steering wheel shook side to side at low speeds.
Old 02-05-2008, 09:21 PM
Instructor

Originally Posted by DAiNiUS
I take 15, and it was shaking while I was on it. However, with my now well inflated tires, it runs very smoothly. I went 130'ish today and it was very nice.

By the way which school do you go to, since it seems we're taking almost the same route. Instead of going to Marcel-Laurin, I go on Decarie, and with a couple of turns I arrive at Vanier.

i go to st-laurent just like 4-5 block from u and i pass by vanier sometimes.

Originally Posted by Go90go
I'd check your brake pads, too. My über-warped rotors caused my car to shake violently at 180+.
i dont think so because rotor + pads have only about 10000 k on it and it only 5 months old. i'll check it out any ways. today it was fine but the car was acting weared. down shifting and upshifting i guess from 40-50 km/h i hope my trany isnt diying.
Old 02-06-2008, 02:54 AM
大日本帝国

Try sticking it into D3. That might solve the constant shifting problem. When it's in D3, it disables that damned Grade-Logic circuitry.

~Cheers~
Old 02-06-2008, 06:35 AM
Instructor

Originally Posted by Go90go
Try sticking it into D3. That might solve the constant shifting problem. When it's in D3, it disables that damned Grade-Logic circuitry.

~Cheers~

ya i guess so, cose i go uphill and downhill a lot, maybe that why it shifts like that ?
Old 02-06-2008, 08:00 AM
大日本帝国

My Grade-Logic/D4 shift solenoid's messed up, so D4 starts you in 2nd gear with the torque converter locked. I mean, it's slower than just sticking it in 2... I have to start out in D3 then knock it up into D4 after I hit 3rd gear.

I wish I could just remove it completely...

~Cheers~
Old 02-06-2008, 06:46 PM
Cruisin'

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I had a similar problem and it was the brake rotor
Old 02-06-2008, 10:10 PM
Instructor

Originally Posted by afbryant
I had a similar problem and it was the brake rotor
i checked my rotor and pads they were fine. today i went untill 140 km/h no shaking just some regular shaking, I think its maybe a bad fuel or any thing cose when it happend i was nere E now i have full tank car runs fine. Magicaly the weiared shifting problem went away too Thx Go90
Old 03-09-2008, 04:42 PM
Pro

So lankanboy1, you're not getting any more shaking? Because I've had the same shit happen to me today. It goes smooth up until 50-60 km/h and then it starts shaking, as if the front wheel would be loose slightly. And also, it shakes more when decelerating than when accelerating.

Now, I went to an Acura Dealer this Friday for an oil change and they checked my wheels(for some reason) as well. The guy who worked there told me that I need new brake pads in the back and rotors since "if you put new pads they will get worn out very fast because of.... ???" I'm guessing that this might be a warped rotor. He also told me that i need a new bearing in one of my wheels in the back.

Also on Friday, going back home at night, I hit a big fat pothole, which I didn't even see. Next moring I went to work and drove at ~100-120 km/h and didn't feel any shaking, it might have been because the roads are shitty, but I think I might have noticed it. Finally today, after digging my car out the fuckin' snow, I drove on a relatively smooth road and felt the car shake as mentioned in the beginning.

So what might that be, warped (rear) rotors, bad (rear) wheel bearing or a bent wheel because of the pot hole? What really beats me is that I didn't get any shaking yesterday, but today going much slower than yesterday it shakes. Might it be because of snow somehow, since we just got dumped with a shit load of it overnight?
Old 03-09-2008, 08:25 PM
Cruisin'

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I've actually been having this problem with mines too..

It shakes like around 60-80 mph... now when I let go of the gas.. sometimes the shaking stops.. but it'll continue to shake again later... feels like the right wheel is loose and gets real bumpy..

my mechanic thinks its the differential... he changed it out with a used one.. worked for a week.. now its back.. (he still thinks its the differential.. we're waiting for another one to come in)

I just had my tires balanced and rotated... and rotors just turned..

I haven't checked my brake pads yet...

this problem has been going on for about 3-4 months.. I live in texas so no issues with weather..
Old 03-09-2008, 10:54 PM
Instructor

Originally Posted by DAiNiUS
So lankanboy1, you're not getting any more shaking? Because I've had the same shit happen to me today. It goes smooth up until 50-60 km/h and then it starts shaking, as if the front wheel would be loose slightly. And also, it shakes more when decelerating than when accelerating.

Now, I went to an Acura Dealer this Friday for an oil change and they checked my wheels(for some reason) as well. The guy who worked there told me that I need new brake pads in the back and rotors since "if you put new pads they will get worn out very fast because of.... ???" I'm guessing that this might be a warped rotor. He also told me that i need a new bearing in one of my wheels in the back.

Also on Friday, going back home at night, I hit a big fat pothole, which I didn't even see. Next moring I went to work and drove at ~100-120 km/h and didn't feel any shaking, it might have been because the roads are shitty, but I think I might have noticed it. Finally today, after digging my car out the fuckin' snow, I drove on a relatively smooth road and felt the car shake as mentioned in the beginning.

So what might that be, warped (rear) rotors, bad (rear) wheel bearing or a bent wheel because of the pot hole? What really beats me is that I didn't get any shaking yesterday, but today going much slower than yesterday it shakes. Might it be because of snow somehow, since we just got dumped with a shit load of it overnight?

Its Our dam weather, i was going to work around 7 am ( 40 west ) and my car did the same thing. I just got home like 11 i was driving in the same highway. ( this time 40 east ). I went untill 120 Car feels fine just the regular shakings.

Or Maybe its cose we reve the engin too much ( while trying to get Out of Snow our wheel spinn a lot) maybe is it because of that ?
Old 03-09-2008, 11:00 PM
Instructor

Originally Posted by ttnguyen
I've actually been having this problem with mines too..

It shakes like around 60-80 mph... now when I let go of the gas.. sometimes the shaking stops.. but it'll continue to shake again later... feels like the right wheel is loose and gets real bumpy..

my mechanic thinks its the differential... he changed it out with a used one.. worked for a week.. now its back.. (he still thinks its the differential.. we're waiting for another one to come in)

I just had my tires balanced and rotated... and rotors just turned..

I haven't checked my brake pads yet...

this problem has been going on for about 3-4 months.. I live in texas so no issues with weather..

Sorry, I really dont know whats going on with u r car,
Old 03-10-2008, 05:37 AM
Pro

Originally Posted by lankanboy1
Its Our dam weather, i was going to work around 7 am ( 40 west ) and my car did the same thing. I just got home like 11 i was driving in the same highway. ( this time 40 east ). I went untill 120 Car feels fine just the regular shakings.

Or Maybe its cose we reve the engin too much ( while trying to get Out of Snow our wheel spinn a lot) maybe is it because of that ?
Well I don't rev the engine a lot when trying to get out of the snow, the trick is to go slowly back and forth with the wheels completely straight and you'll be out in no time. The point is that I drove on Verendrie(not sure if its written like that), on the stretch of road after the Angrignon park which had no snow on it, I was doing maybe 50-90km/h and thats where the shaking occurred. Then I made a small detour on the way back home to drive a bit longer to figure out if I'm just imagining the shaking or it is really happening. I'll go to school soon, and see if it still happens.
Old 03-10-2008, 10:56 PM
Instructor

My car did The same Thing again today, ( I reved the engin 2much today Untill 6k++ :S ) I got the shaking From 45+, One thing i'm so confused is that My stearing wheel dont shake at all, But my my car shakes, Even my rear view mirror ( Vibrate ) and i coud see my Passenger side Window ( vibrate ) . Dainius do u feel much of the ( shaky feeling ) on the accelerator pedal ?
Old 03-11-2008, 09:19 AM
Pro

OK, problem solved! I called up the dealer and the guy to whom I spoke told me that its because there's snow stuck in the wheels(he wasn't too specific). He basically told me to either bring it in a garage so it would melt away or clean it up with a broom or something. Luckily yesterday was hovering around 0 degrees, so it melted on its own! It should be the same solution for you as well lankaboy1, just let it sit in the sun or the garage and it will melt away.

Speaking of having the same problems like you, I broke my drivers side signal(corner) light by going through a line of snow that the snow removal people left in my path. At least I didn't break my bumper like you! So now again I don't know how to fix the damn thing; I just taped up temporarily.
Old 03-11-2008, 11:14 AM
Instructor

My driver side is broken to ,other wise i would of give u myn. get the clear ones I got it for 50 $ shiped, ( it will take abt a moth to get it ). Good thing that u didnt break u r bumper 798+ Tax + painting :p
Old 03-11-2008, 01:50 PM
Pro

Originally Posted by lankanboy1
My driver side is broken to ,other wise i would of give u myn. get the clear ones I got it for 50 $ shiped, ( it will take abt a moth to get it ). Good thing that u didnt break u r bumper 798+ Tax + painting :p
I went to the dealer today, they want two-hundred-something dollars to replace the light! Major rip off.

I'll get the clear ones later on, but I heard that the good clear ones cost 80+shipping. Supposedly the cheap ones fog up.