anybody w/ aftermarket brake pads???

Search this Thread

Old 12-27-2002, 12:49 PM
Safety Car

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
anybody w/ aftermarket brake pads???

for the people who bought brake pads for your car, where did you get them from and for how much? Do you know if our pads fit with the present TL's?? i was searching and found 2 pads for our cars. 1 is by AEM which is called NISSIN (i think??) and another is by AXXIS. i found those 2 on the net and some places say they fit "95-02 TL" is this true??

i found some for just the front for 61-70 bucks and the rears are like 43 bucks. talk to me
Old 12-27-2002, 01:34 PM
Burning Brakes

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I believe our calipers are Nissin. They make brake parts for Japanese cars and motorcycle. AEM might have their pads manufactured by Nissin. You could do a search on pads. Lots of info. Axxis, Endless, Porterfield are all good brands. I got my pads from Comptech. ACP.com (this site) has a nice selection.
Old 12-27-2002, 10:13 PM
Safety Car

thanks but we 1st gen TL's are limited to parts. i dont think we have endless or porterfield. even COMPTECH gave up on us!! comptech dont make sh*t for us. they say the demand isn't high enough but its not just comptech. its sad..
Old 12-28-2002, 07:22 AM
Instructor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
AEM is the Original Equipment Manuf. for Nissan and they also make big brake kits for select cars. AEM is a seperate company that sells parts to nissan. When a car maker makes cars, they dont always make every part on the entire car but instead they go into an OEM agreement to private label them.

I know for BMW's that ATE makes Brake parts (Rotors and Calipers) so when buying a E39 bmw rotors from a BMW parts Dealer, you're handed a ATE rotors in a BMW box. BMW selected Pagid for pads though, if you guys thought Acura pads had lots of dust... oh man these bmw pads are horrible with dust... esp. if your car came with bbs wheels, all those little freakin holes to clean. One road trip from LA to San Fran and the wheels are covered in dust.

I have ATE pads and they are noisy, so i see why bmw selected Pagid pads.

As for Axxis, I've heard good things about those pads but if it's not bedded property those will squeak. Well most pads could sqeak if it's not bed in property.

You know it is common for car makers to use same brake setup for many models... i.e. 528i rear pads are the same for all 5 series 1997~current except for ///M series. That's rears only.

Also I do know the Rear Brakes for my car 3.2 TL is the same as the Legends so If someone knows a guy or has a buddy at a Acura Part Dealer, maybe they could help out by looking up a few part #'s to compare.

1) part #'s on a Legend for Front Pad & rear
2) part #'s on a TL 2.5 for front & rear
3) part #'s on a TL 3.2 for front & rear
4) part #'s on a 02 TL for front & rear

If part#'s match then it's simple however sometimes part #'s will change but the parts are the same.
As for who makes Acura TL brakes, I do not know but you guys got my interest and will try to find out. If we know at least the part # 's are the same then our choice of aftermarket pads could be broader.

Off to san fran, later guys,
Mola
Old 12-28-2002, 04:40 PM
ballin and baldin

on mine i have AKEBONO
they are OE replacements

they are very nice and the only pads i had that dont squeal at all, not even when wet. my axxis pads squeaked when wet

they have next-to-no brake dust i didnt beleive it when i bought them but they are very nice pads. i recomend them. they are the only pads we will put on the imported cars at our shop.

retail was about $90.00

i got them for $40.00
Old 12-28-2002, 10:49 PM
Safety Car

axxis squeak?? damn...not good!! where can i find these akebonos?? any experience on nissins?? hey, that 90 dollar was all 4 brake pads?
Old 12-29-2002, 11:20 PM
Advanced

BRAKE PADS

I have a 2.5TL and opted for the Hawk HPS pads (front and rear). Great aftermarket pads, perfcet fit, great price, pretty low on dust. I recomend you research these pads for yourself. If you decide you like what see, let me know and I'll get you the site I purchased from. Unfortunately, I can't remember the exact site address. I'm pretty sure it was raceshopper.com and the owners name is Edwin Robinson. His service was great! He provided plenty of knowledge, expertise and recommendation to me. Plus, he shipped sameday. If you buy, tell him that M. Contes from Charlotte reffered you. Good luck!

Conteez
mcontes@hotmail.com

PS... No, I do not work for raceshoppers.com. I simply believe that if a company treats you extra special, a referral is worthy.
Old 12-31-2002, 09:27 AM
Racer

A&H motor sells AXXIS front pads for our TL's. I heard that they perform very well, but despite what you may have read, they actually dust more then the stockers. I am going to try these out the next time I change my front pads.
Old 01-01-2003, 09:44 AM
ballin and baldin

i can get the akebono's for you if you want them

no the $90. is just for the front