Rear main seal leak???

Search this Thread

Old 04-15-2024, 12:03 AM
Advanced

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Rear main seal leak???

I keep getting conflicting reports on leak.Few mechanics told me it was rear main seal but when I took it to big brand store they did timing belt and water pump and replaced crankshaft sensor which they said it was leaking and not rear main seal.After I got car back it is still leaking a lot and they said mounts are bad and crushed high pressure hose which is causing leak (power steering) but level has been same yet I got stains.When I pour water on it first day I got crystal blue color but other 2 times I got rainbow more like oil stain but not as obvious as when it is clean oil on ground.Stains are light brown (they did oil change too).
So I am trying to figure out if it is rear main seal leaking or power steering or something else (valve cover seals were replaced 2 years ago).They already lied to me about doing rear main seal with original quote (now they want 10 hour job instead of 6).
Also if it is leak from rear main seal would liquid like Blue devil or similar work (I did put AT-203 2 months ago but that did not do anything).
Leak is in between tires roughly and first few days was baseball size stain but now its bit smaller and has multiple smaller stains.Wondering how rear main seal leave stains,it is single stain or multiple ones.
Frustrating as I already spend money for timing belt/wp/spark plugs and do not want to spend money on rear main seal as they lied to me about doing everything at once for 6 hour job.You cant trust anyone these days.
Old 04-15-2024, 02:07 PM
Black Ac' Man

Received 40 Likes on 32 Posts
You'd have to look under the car yourself. The leak's source will be the highest and most forward point of the trail of grease. If they said that they'd do it and are now quoting a new job, needless to say, you need a new shop to work on it. Could also be transmission fluid. Check the level on that when its hot with the engine OFF. I wouldn't use canned sealants. They can do damage that isn't worth the quick fix. Put a bit of UV dye in all of the oil reservoirs and use a blacklight after a while to see what is leaking.
Old 04-15-2024, 02:16 PM
Advanced

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Originally Posted by 1186KA9
You'd have to look under the car yourself. The leak's source will be the highest and most forward point of the trail of grease. If they said that they'd do it and are now quoting a new job, needless to say, you need a new shop to work on it. Could also be transmission fluid. Check the level on that when its hot with the engine OFF. I wouldn't use canned sealants. They can do damage that isn't worth the quick fix. Put a bit of UV dye in all of the oil reservoirs and use a blacklight after a while to see what is leaking.
Well leak is light brown color,I thought transmission was red color.Where would transmission leak?
They claim its power steering leak from high pressure hose but oil level was same for 4-5 days in reservoir yet I got big stains on floor.
Old 04-15-2024, 02:43 PM
Black Ac' Man

Received 40 Likes on 32 Posts
Transmission can be light brown if the fluid got hot or hasn't been changed in a while. The trans would leak at the cooler hoses, torque converter lock up solenoid, any gap in between housings, you get the picture. Just monitor all fluids closely and replace the dye and fluids until you find the leak. Pics would also be helpful if you could get them.