Legend Type II Intake Manifold & Camshafts - Bolt-on Upgrade For 3.5RL Motors -15+ HP

Search this Thread

Old 03-18-2007 | 01:35 PM
3rd Gear

Legend Type II Intake Manifold & Camshafts - Bolt-on Upgrade For 3.5RL Motors -15+ HP

Check out my thread over at acura-legend.com (i'm NuckinFuts there)

http://www.acura-legend.com/vbulleti...ad.php?t=98765

93-95 Legend Type II intake manifolds are a bolt on upgrade for the 3.5 RL. Using just the upper portion of the Type II manifold, the 3.5 throttle body and neck can be bolted right on. A block off would need to be constructed for the fast idle valve which is located on the back of the Type II manfold - the 3.5's have them on the throttle neck. For the fuel rails, the mounting holes will have to be drilled larger (8mm) and some spacer-washers would have to be used.

This is a relatively simple upgrade, I did this for my 3.5 swap into my legend and I'm very happy with the results. It pulls hard straight to 6500RPM, does not drop off at 5500 like the RL manifold. I will be dynoing my motor soon to get a baseline and will post results in the A-L.com thread.

The Type II camshafts are also a bolt in upgrade for the 3.5 motor. The stiffer valve springs would have to be used also. Unfortunetly for you RL guys, the rev-limiter is set at 6000rpm, and these cams (higher overlap) and valve springs are geared towards high RPM performance (type II motor rev-limiter = 6900). Unless there was a way to raise the limiter in the ECU, this probably would not be a worth-while investment.

I, along with others, have made significant strides in reverse engineering the Legend's ECU. I studied a 3.5 RL ECU and discovered that it was a flash-programmable unit. Does anyone have any knowledge as to what tool could be used to read and re-program these ECUs?

-Matt
Old 03-19-2007 | 02:29 AM
Senior Moderator

I have the Type II heads on my '97 TL. Cornflake has done the same as well.

If I ever have problems with my block, i'll be doing the 3.5 swap

As for the ECU, I'm not too knowledgeable about that, but I DO know the 1st generation TL/RL are both flash-programmable. Worth looking into
Old 03-19-2007 | 10:52 AM
3rd Gear

Originally Posted by Ken1997TL
I have the Type II heads on my '97 TL. Cornflake has done the same as well.

If I ever have problems with my block, i'll be doing the 3.5 swap

As for the ECU, I'm not too knowledgeable about that, but I DO know the 1st generation TL/RL are both flash-programmable. Worth looking into
Type II heads are a whole different story on the 3.5... the intake manifold would have to be customized -widened and slotted like DV8's on a-l.com. Yeah if you read through the thread, the 3.5 block is very stout with a forged crankshaft and connecting rods.

I spoke with an Acura Tech on A-L.com (Kenso), and if there is a PCM upgrade for the 1st gen TL or RL Acura sends a whole new ECU. Therefore any programming device would have to be figured out from scratch.

-Matt
Old 03-21-2007 | 11:53 AM
luvs redheads!

hey matt,

keep quiet about my project ...
Old 06-05-2007 | 10:03 PM
10th Gear

how much does this intake manifold cost??
Old 06-06-2007 | 12:12 AM
大日本帝国

Depends, anywhere from $150 and up.

~Cheers~
Old 06-12-2007 | 02:41 PM
Intermediate

So the manifold bolts straight up, no alterations needed?

"A block off would need to be constructed for the fast idle valve which is located on the back of the Type II manfold - the 3.5's have them on the throttle neck. For the fuel rails, the mounting holes will have to be drilled larger (8mm) and some spacer-washers would have to be used."

I am not quite sure what a "block off" is. I know I can handle drilling the holes, but how complicated is the actually process? Any chance on seeing a DIY on this? It would be nice to actually have something in the Performance section for RLs.
Old 06-13-2007 | 12:08 PM
3rd Gear

Originally Posted by WtaggiN
So the manifold bolts straight up, no alterations needed?

"A block off would need to be constructed for the fast idle valve which is located on the back of the Type II manfold - the 3.5's have them on the throttle neck. For the fuel rails, the mounting holes will have to be drilled larger (8mm) and some spacer-washers would have to be used."

I am not quite sure what a "block off" is. I know I can handle drilling the holes, but how complicated is the actually process? Any chance on seeing a DIY on this? It would be nice to actually have something in the Performance section for RLs.

Yes sir, it bolts up with no alterations needed. A block off is simply a metal plate made to cover where the fast idle valve on the type II manifold WAS. You could probably use JB-Weld or a flat piece of sheet metal with sealer. You will be using the 3.5RL's throttle body and "goose neck" (the elbow from throttle body to the lower plenum) for this upgrade. Since the fast idle valve was relocated from the back of the intake manifold on the 3.2 to the goose neck on the 3.5, the fast idle valve needs to be blocked on the tII manifold or there will be 2 fast idle valves, which I'm sure is not a good thing.

As far as a DIY is concerned, I don't want to re-invent the wheel, there is already an AWESOME DIY on how to remove the intake manifold to clean the EGR ports clogging problem (a great idea to do while you are there). The only difference between this DIY and the TII manifold upgrade are to replace the upper portion of the 3.5's intake with the type II and block off that extra fast idle valve port, no other modifications are necessary.

http://www.acura-legend.com/vbulleti...ad.php?t=79886

Also,check the acura legend service manual,
http://www.arnach.net/service/index.php
Old 06-14-2007 | 12:15 AM
Intermediate

Sounds do-a-ble. Thanks for the information man. Hopefully I can get some money to throw away sooner or later and get one. I guess I will polish them while I am at it and keep the RL cover off the engine...that may make it look tight.

It's funny, I am looking for extra HP in this car but I raced an older accord today on the hwy with a B20 prelude engine in it and we ended up talking. He asked me if MY car was stock haha. Tried to pull away from me, lets just say I was on his ass the whole way and had to let off. These cars aren't too shabby when it comes to a roll from ~50-60, at least with my experiences.
Old 06-14-2007 | 12:22 AM
Intermediate

GS-R engine*