Car start/stay running problem

Search this Thread

Old 02-22-2024, 11:50 AM
9th Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Car start/stay running problem

Hello everyone,

My car has a strange issue. I first thought it was the starter but then read through various posts and thought it might be the main relay. Now I am just confused and haven't done anything yet.

Some days I will go to my car and put the key in the ignition to turn the car on. I turn all the way, nothing. No crank, no start. I'll turn it a couple more times and then suddenly it will start. This sounded like a main relay but I left it be. Then one day while driving, my car stalls and all lights come on the dash. I was able to immediately restart the car. The CEL ended up being for cylinder misfire (there were 3-4 codes, all for some cylinder misfire). I took it to the mechanic, he couldn't find anything wrong. We reset the light, drove like normal. Went on for a couple months of only slightly using the car and it happened again with the same issue.

Now I was thinking ok it has to be main relay. I pulled apart my main relay and the solder joints look fine. I put the same main relay in today and put my hand on it when I had the first condition where it would have no crank no start and the relay does click and I believe I heard the fuel pump in the back as well. So now I'm confused. Doesn't seem like main relay anymore to me.

Any thoughts?
Old 02-22-2024, 03:52 PM
Drifting

Received 823 Likes on 499 Posts
Check your ground wires. Give them a little wiggle.
If you hear them 'crunch' they should be replaced.

Also, assuming your battery terminals aren't corroded.
Old 02-22-2024, 05:23 PM
9th Gear

Originally Posted by Pair of TLs
Check your ground wires. Give them a little wiggle.
If you hear them 'crunch' they should be replaced.

Also, assuming your battery terminals aren't corroded.
Battery terminals are not corroded. Any specific ground wires you would look at?
Old 02-22-2024, 06:10 PM
Drifting

Received 823 Likes on 499 Posts
Originally Posted by cartryhard
Battery terminals are not corroded. Any specific ground wires you would look at?
Every one you can reach. Check the nuts/bolts, too.
Old 02-29-2024, 07:36 AM
3RLs4C

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
I have NO crank, no start issue I am fighting now. With my history with these cars here is what I can tell you. Your issue sounds like a connection issue. The main relay is more part of the starting process and then is monitored by the computer. The lights on the dash lighting up and misfire cofes lead me towards a computer issues, ground issue(Main ground in engine bay), check harness and connectors.
make sure all the connectors are clean and check for oil and other fluids.
Old 02-29-2024, 11:10 PM
9th Gear

Originally Posted by Calvin Ming
I have NO crank, no start issue I am fighting now. With my history with these cars here is what I can tell you. Your issue sounds like a connection issue. The main relay is more part of the starting process and then is monitored by the computer. The lights on the dash lighting up and misfire cofes lead me towards a computer issues, ground issue(Main ground in engine bay), check harness and connectors.
make sure all the connectors are clean and check for oil and other fluids.
Thank you. I drove today and it stalled on me again.
I don't really work on cars much although I really want to. Do you have any pointers on the connections I should take a peek at? Most likely we will just get rid of the car since someone with no electrical knowledge would probably not be able to figure this out, but i still want to take a look.

Old 03-01-2024, 04:29 AM
3RLs4C

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by cartryhard
Thank you. I drove today and it stalled on me again.
I don't really work on cars much although I really want to. Do you have any pointers on the connections I should take a peek at? Most likely we will just get rid of the car since someone with no electrical knowledge would probably not be able to figure this out, but i still want to take a look.
So...it is always difficult to advise and diagnose without being there with the car. If it started and was driving....it point in another direction. Fuel Pump!! As we has discussed, an electrical issue is possible BUT if the car started and drove. It would seem electrically it is fine. I would replace the the fuel pump.
Had a similar issue, it was the 3 inch hose in the tank was split!!
Old 03-01-2024, 05:35 AM
Black Ac' Man

Received 42 Likes on 34 Posts
I think it is 2 separate issues. The crank issue I think is the starter. As the starter ages, dead spots will form. Mine has a few. As for the stall, sounds like the engine is either losing ignition or fuel. Figure out which one it is and good luck. By the sounds of it, it will be fun to troubleshoot...
Old 03-01-2024, 06:53 PM
9th Gear

Originally Posted by 1186KA9
I think it is 2 separate issues. The crank issue I think is the starter. As the starter ages, dead spots will form. Mine has a few. As for the stall, sounds like the engine is either losing ignition or fuel. Figure out which one it is and good luck. By the sounds of it, it will be fun to troubleshoot...
Yeah...no idea how to troubleshoot it. Sounds like it could be a fuel pump or fuel pressurize rail like others have mentioned in other threads.
I'm not sure if it is the starter for the first issue since it is 0 crank.
Old 03-02-2024, 09:15 AM
Black Ac' Man

Received 42 Likes on 34 Posts
Starters do that when they are near death. They sometimes crank intermittently. Does it sound like a piece of metal clunks like the engine is seized when it doesn't start? If so, then its usually the starter is nearing the end. Try to get the Autel AP200. Its a very good scan tool for only 50-70 bucks, and it gives one manufacturer for free. Just drive around and log data. Log the engine data and see what happens when the engine dies. That'll give an indication on what is going wrong. Maybe its losing crank signal or as the others have mentioned, fuel pressure drops and kills the engine. Plus, the codes that are read will give an indication to what is going on if there any stored.
Old 03-03-2024, 08:14 AM
Instructor

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts
change the main relay don't mess around with it, is the starter may be going bad too, change the fuel pump and the intake air temp sensor behind the intake manifold 19mm socket change the water temp sensor too (not the gage sensor) check the map sensor plastic connecter and all the vaccum hoses i would change the map sensor plastic connector then recheck
Old 03-09-2024, 08:54 PM
9th Gear

Originally Posted by 1186KA9
Starters do that when they are near death. They sometimes crank intermittently. Does it sound like a piece of metal clunks like the engine is seized when it doesn't start? If so, then its usually the starter is nearing the end. Try to get the Autel AP200. Its a very good scan tool for only 50-70 bucks, and it gives one manufacturer for free. Just drive around and log data. Log the engine data and see what happens when the engine dies. That'll give an indication on what is going wrong. Maybe its losing crank signal or as the others have mentioned, fuel pressure drops and kills the engine. Plus, the codes that are read will give an indication to what is going on if there any stored.
nah it is literally dead silent when it doesn't start except for the fuel pump and main relay click.

I can log the data but the engine dies so randomly that it wouldn't happen for weeks and then one day it'll happen. Thanks for the suggestion though!
Old 03-23-2024, 10:35 AM
Advanced

Check a few simple things. Make sure negative battery connection is extra snug. Check all the fuses for any breaks. Check remote battery and make aure its the right key. Check all hoses for fitment ,cracks,leaks or disconnects. You can also get a free odb scan at the local parts store...simple free and cheap search, to find the problem.