Car didnt start today, narrowed down to fuel prob...

Search this Thread

Old 06-02-2012, 01:21 AM
Instructor

Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts
Car didnt start today, narrowed down to fuel prob...

so just a little background, about 3 months ago, my gas cap broke and i bought a cheap replacement from the local chain parts store, got one with a pressure relief button... unfortunately i was getting CELs shortly after for EVAP leakage type stuff, so i went and got myself an OEM gas cap, problem solved!

then last wed night, i was out and low on gas and the car wouldnt start, and i was parked facing a slight incline... so i let the car roll down to a flat surface, and wala! it started!!! so i drove to the gas station right across the street and filled up, after filling up, and then jumping onto the freeway, the car hesitates for a moment (like a fuel cut) and my CEL starts blinking! i get home and pull the code, and i have codes for missfires across all six cylinders and a global missfire code and a random missfire code...

i cleared the codes and let the car sit for 5 days with out turning it on once in those 5 days as i was out of town, when i got back i started the car with no problems...

then yesterday, as i am about to leave work, i try to start my car and nothing! tried jumpstarting, still nothing... loosened the bolt on the Fuel Pressure regulator and only a lil gas came out. hooked up a fuel pressure gauge to it, i cleaned off the battery post and terminal and WALA! it started! Running fuel pressure was at 35psi...

since it was running fine i drove home and then this morning it seemed to start ok, went to work and then when im about to go home, BAM! car wont start again... fuel pump not priming, battery is good, alternator seems ok, and so does the starter, as the car cranks over... pulled the bolt on the FPR again and just a few drips/drops of gas come out...

so based on the Diag, and what ive been reading in the forums and considering i have 275,000+ miles... its safe to say that the fuel pump probably finally gave out, and the most likely so did the main relay...

so im wondering, should i get a denso fuel pump or a walbro?
im going to replace the main relay, should i also replace the fuel pump relay?
Old 06-02-2012, 05:36 AM
10th Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Check your main relay. Had a starting problem similar to this only it it out while I was driving the. Started back up fine then cut out again and wouldn't start. Ianaged to open the relay up and resolder all the joints and it's worked fine ever since.
Old 06-05-2012, 11:25 PM
Instructor

Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts
changed out the main relay, wala! Car starts!!!

my boss insists i still should change out the pump cause i got 275,000+ miles lolz