Brake + VSA + ! light comes on

Search this Thread

Old 02-24-2008, 06:12 PM
3rd Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Brake + VSA + ! light comes on

Hi guys and gals! I'm new here. I been browsing around this forum since I was a young when I was all excited about my own new RSX-S (dream car back then). However ended up getting a Miata instead.

Anway, I might be handed my mom's beloved '04 Acura RL. I was driving it the other day and.... wow.... it is a nice car. If I got some new shocks on her and replaced the old worn seals with new ones it would be quiet as a brand new car! These RL's were built to last!

However, there is an immediate issue on hand and I came here to seek everyone's advice.

Question:

Now, the brakes issue. My friend says the RL's could have been fit with a brake sensor. The car will tell you if you need new pads. This could be the reason why the red "BRAKE" light comes on, goes away, and is replaced with the yellow "!" mark (inside triangles) + orange VSA light comes on.

I wanted to verify if this is the reason why, would anyone know if this is the reason why the lights come on? I do not know if my mom had her brakes replaced or not yet. The car has 108k miles on her.
Old 02-24-2008, 08:53 PM
この道は毛むくじゃらのマンコだらけ..

Received 219 Likes on 118 Posts
Originally Posted by laxntiga
Hi guys and gals! I'm new here. I been browsing around this forum since I was a young when I was all excited about my own new RSX-S (dream car back then). However ended up getting a Miata instead.

Anway, I might be handed my mom's beloved '04 Acura RL. I was driving it the other day and.... wow.... it is a nice car. If I got some new shocks on her and replaced the old worn seals with new ones it would be quiet as a brand new car! These RL's were built to last!

However, there is an immediate issue on hand and I came here to seek everyone's advice.

Question:

Now, the brakes issue. My friend says the RL's could have been fit with a brake sensor. The car will tell you if you need new pads. This could be the reason why the red "BRAKE" light comes on, goes away, and is replaced with the yellow "!" mark (inside triangles) + orange VSA light comes on.

I wanted to verify if this is the reason why, would anyone know if this is the reason why the lights come on? I do not know if my mom had her brakes replaced or not yet. The car has 108k miles on her.
My 04 doesn't tell me when I need new brake pads. But, the red "BRAKE" comes on when you engage the footbrake.

I'm not sure about your VSA problem, but I click the VSA button, right next to the cruise button, it lights up... basically, if I'm right, when the orange vsa light comes on, the traction control is off.
Old 02-24-2008, 09:18 PM
3rd Gear

Yeah same, when I press the ebrake with my foot, the redlight comes on.

However, I believe there is another issue at hand when the orange "!" (inside trangles) and the VSA comes on. The VSA is responsible to controling your brakes through cornering so you safely get from point A to point B even in malicious weather.

Im begining to think its more the brakes.
Old 02-24-2008, 09:35 PM
Senior Moderator

Received 2,329 Likes on 1,309 Posts
The red brake light will also come on if you have low brake fluid
Old 03-04-2008, 06:34 AM
3rd Gear

I dont think it's the brake fluid I have the right amount.

I think im going to set up an appointment with Acura to get their electronic testing done. The guy at the dealership says it might just be the sensors that are out.