96 RL Speaker Install Help

Search this Thread

Old 03-24-2007, 06:10 PM
96 RL 3.5

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
96 RL Speaker Install Help

I've done some searching, but didn't find much on the first gen section or here.

I have a 96 RL and want to replace the 6x9's in the rear deck and the 6 1/2 in the front doors. The ones I'm concerned about are the front door speakers.

In the first gen RLs there is a grill that looks to be removeable. If this is the case, how do I get it off? I've tried to pull and look around it, but am a little worried about doing permanent damage.

My main concern with the front speakers lies with the door paneling. I would hate if it didn't seal back up as tightly and the inside got louder or the paneling creaked when the door opened or closed.

If you guys know a good source to get FREE guides for speaker installs let me know. Thanks!
Old 03-25-2007, 06:18 PM
96 RL 3.5

Update: I got the rear grills off just fine. The grill popped off with just my fingers, but the front grill is still a mystery. Anyone have info? Should I just pull harder?
Old 03-25-2007, 06:28 PM
Senior Moderator

Received 4,614 Likes on 2,193 Posts
First: Welcome to AZ!

I have to move this thread to the 1G RL section. There are some regulars there who may be able to help with this question.
Old 03-25-2007, 09:21 PM
Instructor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Don't do it! Unless you find the correct Ohm rated speakers don't! In my car there is both 1 and 3 ohm speakers which are hard to find! Bose systems are extremely hard to redo.
Old 03-25-2007, 10:01 PM
96 RL 3.5

Originally Posted by Big Green Acura
Don't do it! Unless you find the correct Ohm rated speakers don't! In my car there is both 1 and 3 ohm speakers which are hard to find! Bose systems are extremely hard to redo.
Do all 96 RL's have Bose systems? I have a CD changer, but not the full premium package. I don't have heated seats or mirrors. I can't find a Bose stamp anywhere. I was tempted to look on the back of the speakers in the rear deck.
Old 03-26-2007, 04:54 PM
Instructor

Those door grills dont come off you have to take off the door panels
Old 03-27-2007, 01:16 AM
96 RL 3.5

Originally Posted by GSARL
Those door grills dont come off you have to take off the door panels
How easy is it to get them back on? My main concern is that when they are removed they won't be reinstalled properly and will either rattle, creak, squeak, or just be generally loose.

The rear deck is extremely easy to get to.

Though then there is the issue of the Bose system. Do all RL's have Bose stereos? I can't find marks anywhere. I looked again today and can't seem to find any indication that it is a Bose system.
Old 03-27-2007, 07:49 PM
Instructor

Ive taken them off myself its pretty easy,when you put them back on put the window all the way down and start at the top snap in the top first then just hit the panel with your fist to snap back in the sides and bottom.As far as being loose or rattling as long as there in correctly you should'nt have any problem. I think most RLs have a bose system anyway whats the difference if your changing them.
Old 04-01-2007, 01:53 PM
6th Gear

Originally Posted by BarefootPanda
I've done some searching, but didn't find much on the first gen section or here.

I have a 96 RL and want to replace the 6x9's in the rear deck and the 6 1/2 in the front doors. The ones I'm concerned about are the front door speakers.

In the first gen RLs there is a grill that looks to be removeable. If this is the case, how do I get it off? I've tried to pull and look around it, but am a little worried about doing permanent damage.

My main concern with the front speakers lies with the door paneling. I would hate if it didn't seal back up as tightly and the inside got louder or the paneling creaked when the door opened or closed.

If you guys know a good source to get FREE guides for speaker installs let me know. Thanks!
I just installed Infinity Ref. Series in the front doors yesterday. The grill does not come off the front doors. You have to take the whole panel off of each door. There is a cap covering two screws by the door handle, pop the cap and take out screws. There is another screw on the edge of the door with a rubber washer on it that keeps it from slamming the car, take it off. There is one more screw under the arm rest just above the storage space in the door. After you take these off you can pull the door off. Be careful though, the panel is still fastened to to the door with plastic clips. If you pull too hard they will break. Haven't had any problems with wind since I did it.

You can get the speaker harnesses from Best Buy. A pair is about $12. They clip to the factory system and have the + & - wires to clip to the speaker. Good Luck.
Old 04-01-2007, 01:56 PM
6th Gear

How easy is it to get them back on? My main concern is that when they are removed they won't be reinstalled properly and will either rattle, creak, squeak, or just be generally loose.

The rear deck is extremely easy to get to.

Though then there is the issue of the Bose system. Do all RL's have Bose stereos? I can't find marks anywhere. I looked again today and can't seem to find any indication that it is a Bose system.
The 96 came with two sound options; the basic was an Alpine system and the Premium was the Bose. If you have the Bose you might have to bypass the amp. I had the Alpine in mine and I just took the factory speakers out and dropped the Infinity's in there.
Old 04-03-2007, 02:08 AM
96 RL 3.5

Originally Posted by 96AcRite
The 96 came with two sound options; the basic was an Alpine system and the Premium was the Bose. If you have the Bose you might have to bypass the amp. I had the Alpine in mine and I just took the factory speakers out and dropped the Infinity's in there.
Sounds like what I want to do. I'm really worried about messing up the front door panels. I am planning on replacing the front door speakers and rear deck 6x9s. I think I must have the Alpine system. I can't find a "Bose" bit anywhere, but since I haven't removed anything yet I can't say for sure.

Is it worth $40 to have Best Buy install the Infinitis in the front? Also, should I do any dynamatting?

I'd like the doors to have a more solid "new car" close. Really quiet and tight. The road noise so far is much better than my other car, but I'd like to seal things up and deaden anything I can.
Old 04-09-2007, 04:51 PM
6th Gear

Thumbs up Front-Speaker Install

Sounds like what I want to do. I'm really worried about messing up the front door panels. I am planning on replacing the front door speakers and rear deck 6x9s. I think I must have the Alpine system. I can't find a "Bose" bit anywhere, but since I haven't removed anything yet I can't say for sure.

Is it worth $40 to have Best Buy install the Infinitis in the front? Also, should I do any dynamatting?

I'd like the doors to have a more solid "new car" close. Really quiet and tight. The road noise so far is much better than my other car, but I'd like to seal things up and deaden anything I can.
You can never really go wrong with Dynamat, but I didn't find it necessary. The road noise is minimum and once you crank up the system you can't hear it anyway The speaker install you can do yourself...it wasn't hard at all. If you're worried about tearing the door panels though, take it to Best Buy...at least that way you can hold them accountable if they screw up.

Here are some pics from my install last week.