1999 RL Stalled and Won't Start

Search this Thread

Old 03-26-2007, 05:41 PM
3rd Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
1999 RL Stalled and Won't Start

Hey Everyone,

I'm new to this post and I am hoping someone has had a similar problem. My 1999 RL has been maintained by me and by the Acura of Stockton dealership in Stockton CA. Can't say much good stuff about the local dealership. They use to have good people running it but the people that have been there for the last few years are criminals.

Anyway, my RL stalled while I was driving it and now it won't start. It seems like it is either a fuel pump/filter issue or the ignition switch problem. It had stalled a couple of other times within the last few days but always started back up. Sometimes it was a little hard to start, but it did start.

One of the smaller issues I have with the dealership is that they told me that the fuel filter is a lifetime filter, which I knew couldn't be true but went along anyway. Now I believe that the problem I have now is because my fuel filetr is clogged and possibly the fuel pump is shot as well.

I have lots more big stories about the problems this dealership has caused for me and my RL.

So if anyone knows what might be wrong please let me know. I was even thinking of buying the OBD II unit to do some troubleshooting???

Thanx Mike
Old 03-26-2007, 07:16 PM
Cajun Gumbo Man

Received 55 Likes on 41 Posts
Sorry to hear about your RL. It could be a host of issues. If you want to call my dealership service rep his name is Ken Buller at Acura of Pleasanton. Mention my name James from Antioch. Tell him your issue and he may have an answer other than "bring it in".....I have no issues with this dealership, but do AVOID Acura of Concord for the exact same issue you have with your local folks.....Some are good and some are just crooks!
Keep us posted !
Old 04-01-2007, 09:38 AM
2nd Gear

i have a 99 rl it did the same thing I replaced the main relay & now it runs great & gas mileage has improved. so check the main relay
Old 04-02-2007, 02:39 AM
3rd Gear

Stall and won't start Problem fixed

Hi, Thanx for the post about the main relay to the fuel pump. I new it had to do with the fule pump or fule system. That is what it was. The main relay to the fuel pump died and wasn't charging the fuel pump. Runs great now and I have noticed the mielage increase as well. I was getting in the 22 mpg range on the highway. Now its about 24-25 mpg. Didn't think this car had it in her to get mileage like that on the highway.

I also found an excellent Acura repair facility in Stockton, CA as well. They are called Ultracare of Stockton
(209) 957-7841
4629 West Ln Ste 10, Stockton, CA and they are located at Bianchi Ave and West Lane in Stockton, CA. Honest guys and certainly not like the creeps at Acura of Stockton.

Thanx Everyone!
Old 08-10-2007, 12:29 AM
1st Gear

Hey, can you tell me where to find the relay, under the dash? And where can I buy a new one?

Thanks!!
Old 08-11-2007, 07:44 AM
2nd Gear

[IMG]C:\Documents and Settings\kbdubb.FAST-23A3D7BF36\Local Settings\Temporary Internet Files\Content.IE5\ATCGSB4A\PICT4279[1].JPG[/IMG]
here's the location of relay and i got mine from the dealer for $50. you should be able to buy one from Autozones, Oreillys, Advanced Auto but they were like $60-$70.
Old 08-07-2012, 11:53 PM
1st Gear

Thanks for the tip

'99 RL. I had the same symptoms: engine stalled a few times, then wouldn't start at all. Thanks to the info in this thread, I removed and inspected the PGM-FI Main Relay, found a bad solder joint and repaired it. Installed the repaired relay, and the car started right up.
Old 08-22-2012, 12:59 AM
Instructor

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
I had the same issue last week my RL stopped on me when I went t the store.
I bought a genuine Acura for $60 I replaced it myself.very easy to do
You are going to need a flash light its a plug and play.
Old 09-02-2012, 04:19 PM
Intermediate

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
wondering if its a Fuel pump relay..

I was driving to a carshow today about 50miles away temp outside was around 100 . the car was driving fine on interstate as i got off at my exit and siting at the light the car started to stall out as i would hit the car and then die.. it would start right back up but do it again and again.. finally it just starting working again got it to a parking lot let it sit for 30 mins and it seemed like it was fixed . till driving back home It started to lose power again and as i costed with it in gear it would gain power again on and off. I got it home and afraid to drive it now since it did this .. does this also sound like a fuel pump Relay ? after reading on here im saying its my best guess .. anyone ?
Old 09-03-2012, 06:06 PM
Instructor

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Mine never hesitated like yours.I drove mine to the store once I came back out.
Started my car it seems it was going to start,but it didn't .
Since I replaced my main relay i never had any problems.
Get yourself a main relay do it yourself If I can do it anyone can.
You are going to need it eventually .$60.
Hope this helps.
The following users liked this post:
youmadeyou (09-03-2012)
Old 09-03-2012, 10:37 PM
Intermediate

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Thanks
Old 10-06-2012, 11:02 PM
6th Gear

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
So my 98 RL croaked yesterday. Took it to the dealer and they said it was a bad pump + bad relay and asked for $1400 to repair (HAHAHAHA!). Said the pump had a high resistance with blew out the relay...but never told me which. I hear the main clicking when I turn the key, but haven't checked to see if the pump is running. I may need to check the relay in the trunk and the resistor, but I'm limited on tools.

So, before I order a new pump, filter, and relays I wanted to see if there were any ideas on where I should start the troubleshooting process keeping in mind that I just moved into an apartment and have a limited selection of tools at my disposal and no bench...

Thanks!
Old 10-06-2012, 11:12 PM
Burning Brakes

Received 45 Likes on 43 Posts
Originally Posted by jwbryan
So my 98 RL croaked yesterday. Took it to the dealer and they said it was a bad pump + bad relay and asked for $1400 to repair (HAHAHAHA!). Said the pump had a high resistance with blew out the relay...but never told me which. I hear the main clicking when I turn the key, but haven't checked to see if the pump is running. I may need to check the relay in the trunk and the resistor, but I'm limited on tools.

So, before I order a new pump, filter, and relays I wanted to see if there were any ideas on where I should start the troubleshooting process keeping in mind that I just moved into an apartment and have a limited selection of tools at my disposal and no bench...

Thanks!
Try to get a quote from a shop. You can rent tools at Autozone if you decide to fix yourself.Good luck.
Old 10-06-2012, 11:43 PM
6th Gear

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Originally Posted by 3.5RLv-tec?
Try to get a quote from a shop. You can rent tools at Autozone if you decide to fix yourself.Good luck.
Thanks! I forget that AZ rents tools...I've got enough that I can do the job, but don't have much to check pumps, relays, etc. and really don't feel like creating custom wires to test. Either way, it won't cost much more from Rockauto to just get the pump and relay (found Denso for $133 and relay for ~$40). Can't find the resistor pack on there, but did find it at OEMAcura. I'll probably just replace it all and be done with this...
Old 10-07-2012, 02:25 AM
10th Gear

The main relay that controls the fuel pump is located under the dash near the steering column. Remove it from the car and disasemble the casing and re solder all the joints on the circuit board and see if that works. Worked for my rl/legend. ( I'm from Australia where there still called a Legend)
Old 10-09-2012, 04:24 AM
Instructor

Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts
mine hesitated, and gave me a misfire code, even stalled and died, and then fired right back up... main relays .... ugh