Steering Groans. Help

Search this Thread

Old 02-06-2013, 12:52 PM
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Steering Groans. Help

My car groans unpredictably. The groans seem to be related to steering, inasmuch as they are exacerbated by turns, and I can feel the groans. They don't usually start right until I've been driving a while, and I do mostly around-town driving, so it is totally intermittent. I live in St Petersburg, Florida, so it isn't in extreme cold.

I thought it was, perhaps, steering wheel belts and had planned to have them changed, but the sound/action is not easily reproduced.

I've seen some posts that suggest steering an inch less. But once it starts, the slightest steering wheel movement makes a load groan.

Any ideas? I'm NOT a DIYer but I want to know what is necessary.
Old 02-06-2013, 01:31 PM
Racer

Received 36 Likes on 32 Posts
take a picture of your power steering fluid level and post it up.
The following users liked this post:
phineasboggs (02-06-2013)
Old 02-06-2013, 01:34 PM

Received 16,263 Likes on 11,973 Posts
^sounds like no fluid or a faulty o-ring!
Old 02-06-2013, 04:49 PM
Instructor

Oy. Open the hood? <g> I'll try to do that.

Would a faulty O ring cause that intermittence? Is it a warranty item? I would like to take it to a certain service center, (not the dealer, if I can help it) and would like to have an idea.

But what you're both saying is that it isn't a common problem? And this isn't what the recent warranty extension was about? (That was probably a/c not steering, and I think not!)
Old 02-06-2013, 04:58 PM
Instructor

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Not to sound stupid, but could it possibly be this?

https://acurazine.com/forums/1g-rdx-diy-faq-161/diy-%96-fix-driver-side-hvac-mix-door-noise-862172/

I initally thought I had an issue with steering or brakes, because it would make this strange noise at random times. Florida heat could cause the lube to dry up. Just a thought.
Old 02-06-2013, 04:58 PM
Instructor

Okay, major problem. Wasn't sure what was the steering fluid looks low to me, although I had fluids changed/fixed/added a few months ago), and took off 2-3 inch lid to something. Was bringing it to my eyes when, yep, I DROPPED it and it fell under the battery and probably still under that. I can barely get my hand in and around (and thought of disconnecting battery) and felt a hole big enough for it to fall through. Getting on the ground, under the car is all sealed. Sigh.

Can I drive without this "cap" on? Will an automotive store have it or one that fits. I really am not mechanic-oriented!

Update: Okay, I tried to dislodge it by driving and braking. No luck. Covered it with aluminum foil for now. Can I drive, and if so, how far?

Last edited by phineasboggs; 02-06-2013 at 05:07 PM.
Old 02-06-2013, 05:12 PM
Instructor

Revtec, thanks for the thought but the groaning doesn't happen in my car until it has gone 10 miles or so. If I just drive it around town, no groan. More with time.

Actually, I can feel it in my hands on the steering wheel. It is something to be considered (I think that's the new Acura extended warranty) and hope this is it, but my sense is that it isn't.

Now I have the problem of finding the right cap for steering fluid. <shaking head>
Old 02-06-2013, 11:05 PM
Burning Brakes

Received 210 Likes on 147 Posts
'07 RDX/Tech Bought 6/2010 22,803 3/13/2012: 30,267 2/5/2013 34,647
Dis/Mis/Mal Serviced by Crown Acura, Clearwater, FL 4/2011 27,791
Avoid Crown Acura, Clearwater

Well, we really cannot help you without pertinent info, but if the info in your signature is valid, and you have never changed the PS fluid, then do so. That is the basic advice in all of the other threads you have been posting to and reading.

You describe all of the symptoms of old PS fluid, low fluid level, or a leak somewhere because of worn fluid. Honda only expects your car to last the warranty period. If you want it to last longer, then perform PM (preventative maintenance).

Worn PS fluid, filled with with worn metal particles from inside the pump and steering rack, will damage the rack. Imagine an abrasive slurry at 1200psi working against all of the internal rubber seals and the aluminum inside the rack. Good luck.

Last edited by dcmodels; 02-06-2013 at 11:08 PM.
phineasboggs (02-07-2013)
Old 02-07-2013, 08:07 AM

I would put something OVER the steering fluid reservoir.
you dont want dirt inside it.
Old 02-07-2013, 08:21 AM
Instructor

First, since I dropped and lost the cap for the Steering fluid, how far can I drive it with only aluminum foil to cover it? Can I buy a new cap at Auto places? Is there a special part?

Okay, I'm a little confused about what pertinent information I should have given you (I'm not sure what makes you question whether my information is valid so help me help you help me!) and will be happy to add it. Clearly, I'm not a mechanic nor a DIYer, so I'm not sure what I should tell you. Please ask away, because I need to go to a service center educated.

You are correct in assuming I haven't changed my PS fluid as I don't DIY anything. I bought the car as Certified, and I have had fluids replaced and maintenance done. But I cannot find the most recent invoice (4 months ago) when I had oil and all fluids updated. I assumed that included steering fluid, but perhaps not. I do think it's low. IF I'm looking in the right place.

This is not worn belts? I need to tell the service center what they need to look for. I could possibly take it to the Honda dealer instead of my usual guy.

Thanks for your insights.

Originally Posted by dcmodels
Well, we really cannot help you without pertinent info, but if the info in your signature is valid, and you have never changed the PS fluid, then do so. That is the basic advice in all of the other threads you have been posting to and reading.

You describe all of the symptoms of old PS fluid, low fluid level, or a leak somewhere because of worn fluid. Honda only expects your car to last the warranty period. If you want it to last longer, then perform PM (preventative maintenance).

Worn PS fluid, filled with with worn metal particles from inside the pump and steering rack, will damage the rack. Imagine an abrasive slurry at 1200psi working against all of the internal rubber seals and the aluminum inside the rack. Good luck.
Old 02-07-2013, 08:22 AM

foil will work. the foil however wont provide a tight seal for the vacuum
and I'd grab a cap/cover from the dealer.

but, I'd at least try fishing for it first.
Old 02-07-2013, 08:24 AM
Instructor

Thanks Justn. I put aluminum foil over it for exactly that reason. That and not wanting humidity to affect it blatantly. I don't know if pressure is required and am quite nervous about this.

Originally Posted by justnspace
I would put something OVER the steering fluid reservoir.
you dont want dirt inside it.
Old 02-07-2013, 08:31 AM

my buddy used foil for his until he found/bought a new cap.

i think there is pressure because I noticed on his fluid would jump out or spill from the reservoir with just foil over it.

BUTT, as long as you keep it filled and prevent dirt from going inside, you're good.

head to the dealer to get a replacement cap
Old 02-07-2013, 08:31 AM
Instructor

Yes, I was worried about a seal. And I've fished and tried, to no avail. I will not go to the dealer as they violated my trust. I need to find somewhere to buy it. Online? Auto Parts Store? I'm searching Acurazine for parts information.

foil will work. the foil however wont provide a tight seal for the vacuum
and I'd grab a cap/cover from the dealer.

but, I'd at least try fishing for it first.
Old 02-07-2013, 09:26 AM
2008 Acura RDX

Received 58 Likes on 48 Posts
You need to CHANGE ALL of the power steering fluid... i.e. 'flush the system'!

Your current fluid is old and when the car gets warm it causes the pump to make all manner of noises.

The reservoir cap is relatively cheap so go get a replacement ----->
http://www.acuraoemparts.com/delray/...All&vinsrch=no

Go buy some Lucas Steering fluid treatment,remove the old fluid (as much as comes in the Lucas bottle), and replace what you removed with the entire bottle of Lucas treatment.

I had the same problem and this cured it
Old 02-07-2013, 09:35 AM
Instructor

That's great and THANKS! I can order from them 002 53701-STK-A01 TANK, POWER STEERING OILright? It's about 2 inches diameter.

Now, I just have to figure if it is really the steering wheel resevoir that I de-cap-itated. I was trying to read the writing when I dropped it. I'm looking to download a manual.

Hey, how often should steering fluid be changed (flushed) and how often should it be topped off?

M

Originally Posted by wspy

Your current fluid is old and when the car gets warm it causes the pump to make all manner of noises.

Go buy some Lucas Steering fluid treatment,remove the old fluid (as much as comes in the Lucas bottle), and replace what you removed with the entire bottle of Lucas treatment.

Old 02-07-2013, 09:42 AM
Instructor

YOIKS! It's the BRAKE FLUID CAP that I lost. I think that's a real danger, but I just got the manual from my car. The cap was up by my windshield, driver's side, and apparently the steering fluid is down by the wheels on the passenger side. Oy.
Old 02-07-2013, 10:33 AM
Racer

the power steering should be located on the left of the engine bay and the brake fluid should be on the right.

Last edited by Vividsi; 02-07-2013 at 10:42 AM. Reason: added picture
Old 02-07-2013, 11:53 AM
Instructor

Yes, it is. But last night, I didn't know. Wish I had seen this photo before I went out to check.

I just did everything to try to fish out the master cylinder cap from the hole near the battery.

Thanks.

Originally Posted by Vividsi
the power steering should be located on the left of the engine bay and the brake fluid should be on the right.
Old 02-07-2013, 12:09 PM
Instructor

Okay, I ADDED (will have it professionally flushed next week) steering fluid (it actually looked quite clean and was a little low). And I added brake fluid.

But I'm worried and cannot find a Master Cylinder Cap at Delray, and can't find it at Fermin. Honda wouldn't help and said if I wanted any part I'd have to drive up to the Acura dealer (co-owned). Not happening.

I'd like to order online, but can't find a cap. Grr. Any suggestions? I'm looking for a "Master Cylinder Cap." The one at Advanced Auto parts was about an inch too small.

Thanks.

Originally Posted by wspy

Old 02-07-2013, 01:55 PM
Instructor

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Sounds like it's been a real adventure so far! Good luck.

Try this.

Looks like you'll need parts #19 and maybe #20. Hope that helps.
Old 02-07-2013, 02:13 PM

okay, I made this mistake before.This isnt to scare you but to keep you informed of what might or might not happen.

I made the mistake of pouring a petroleum product into my brake master cylinder reservoir in my TL.

a petroleum product will destroy rubber.

I poured only a TINY TINY bit. maybe not even a cap full.
in the course of a year; the petroleum contamination had made the rubber seals in the master cylinder swell.

One day; the brake pedal just went completely to the floor.
Luckily I had noticed it before I got on a major road way.
I could not brake at all.

here is my thread about my trials:
https://acurazine.com/forums/3g-tl-problems-fixes-114/brake-check-808641/
Old 02-07-2013, 02:51 PM
Racer

I'm sure that was exciting feeling the brake pedal go to the floor!
Old 02-07-2013, 03:16 PM
Instructor

Wow! That must have been scary! Thanks for sharing!

The reason I lost the cap was I was bringing it to my eyes to read what was on the cap--and it slipped.

I was being careful because I didn't want to check the wrong reservoir!

okay, I made this mistake before.This isnt to scare you but to keep you informed of what might or might not happen.

I made the mistake of pouring a petroleum product into my brake master cylinder reservoir in my TL.

a petroleum product will destroy rubber.

I poured only a TINY TINY bit. maybe not even a cap full.
in the course of a year; the petroleum contamination had made the rubber seals in the master cylinder swell.

One day; the brake pedal just went completely to the floor.
Luckily I had noticed it before I got on a major road way.
I could not brake at all.

here is my thread about my trials:
https://acurazine.com/forums/showthread.php?t=808641
Old 02-07-2013, 03:23 PM
Instructor

I'm thrilled that it hasn't been dramatic, just a comedy of errors and a general PITA. The worst part has been dropping the frickin lid and it's going missing. I've tried everything, including trying a vacuum. No avail. I could move the lid around but not out. I don't want it to catch fire!

Thanks for the link. I ordered the "strainer" and hope that does the job. Sadly, apparently nobody shows pictures of their Acura products nor do they supply description. I hope it's right.

Thanks for your help!

Originally Posted by REVTEC
Sounds like it's been a real adventure so far! Good luck.

Try this.

Looks like you'll need parts #19 and maybe #20. Hope that helps.
Old 02-07-2013, 03:28 PM

I do have an extra cap and strainer from my troubles.
Let me know if you need them.

if I remember correctly; the cap comes with the reservoir. so you need to buy the reservoir in order to get the cap.
I'm still willing to ship out my extra cap and strainer.
phineasboggs (02-11-2013)
Old 02-07-2013, 03:32 PM
Instructor

will send email.
Old 02-07-2013, 05:35 PM
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by phineasboggs
First, since I dropped and lost the cap for the Steering fluid, ... Can I buy a new cap at Auto places? ...
Your local Acura dealer can provide this part, and any other part for your car, so why have you not gone there? You would have one by now. As I see from previous posts, you actually lost the Brake Fluid cap, but again, a visit to the dealer would have immediately resolved this issue, as they could just walk out and look at your vehicle.

If you do not like your local dealer, visit another dealer, or order online - online parts 'stores' have pictures (line drawings) of all parts.

Also, an Owner's Manual has pictures showing the location of all normal maintenance items, such as the Power Steering tank and cap. You can purchase a OM from your dealer or online.

... Okay, I'm a little confused about what pertinent information I should have given you ... I'm not sure what makes you question whether my information is valid ...
We cannot "see" your vehicle, so you need to tell us the year, make, model, mileage, and any previous maintenance preformed on your vehicle. When did you purchase the vehicle, how many miles were on it, can you verify or confirm any previous maintenance, and when it was performed. I guessed that the vehicle listed in your signature, is the one about which you are asking, which is not always the case when someone posts here. Why do you find this difficult to understand? Its the same information that your dealer is going to ask, except that any info you do not provide, at least the mechanic can look at your vehicle and at least determine how many miles are on it. We cannot do even that.

... because I need to go to a service center educated. ...
Please read a few other threads here, review what information is provided by the person asking, and the type of questions other responders ask the original poster. First time posters almost always give no information about the problem, not even the year and mileage on the vehicle, which is what you did (or did not do).

... recent invoice (4 months ago) when I had oil and all fluids updated. I assumed that included steering fluid, but perhaps not. ...
That is the information that you need to provide in your very first post - verify if the PS fluid has ever been changed, as I asked. Then provide that info, which you still have not done.

... recent invoice (4 months ago) when I had oil and all fluids updated. I assumed that included steering fluid, but perhaps not. I do think it's low. IF I'm looking in the right place.

This is not worn belts? I need to tell the service center what they need to look for. I could possibly take it to the Honda dealer instead of my usual guy. ...
You can visit the local Acura dealer, and ask quesions of the service writer. You do not necessarily have to have your vehicle serviced there, depending upon what the SW says, and how they respond to your questions. Most dealer service centers will answer your questions, and help you to understand what may be happening with your vehicle, even if you do not then ask them to fix it.

Your dealer may not like it if you make a habbit of asking a bunch of quesions, and then not having your vehicle serviced there. Sometimes I will park in the lot, out of sight, and walk into the service area and ask my questions. Or talk to the part counter person, who can also be helpful, for a question such as WHERE IS MY POWER STEERING TANK LOCATED. The parts counter can print out a line drawing of the parts for you.

Last edited by dcmodels; 02-07-2013 at 05:47 PM.
Old 02-07-2013, 05:39 PM
Burning Brakes

... I will not go to the dealer as they violated my trust. I need to find somewhere to buy it. Online? Auto Parts Store? ...
Not even to purchase a part? such as the cap that you lost? in Florida there should be another Acura dealer.
Old 02-07-2013, 06:11 PM
Instructor

I really appreciate the time you have taken to write to me. This is a work in progress.

Best regards,
PB

Originally Posted by dcmodels
Your local Acura dealer can provide this part, and any other part for your car, so why have you not gone there? You would have one by now. As I see from previous posts, you actually lost the Brake Fluid cap, but again, a visit to the dealer would have immediately resolved this issue, as they could just walk out and look at your vehicle.
Old 02-07-2013, 06:31 PM
Suzuka Master

Received 1,267 Likes on 864 Posts
I tried to keep up with the whole thread but I am just curious, if the cap fell underneath the battery, couldn't just disconnect the battery, lift it out and then grab the cap? Unless I am misread the evolution of the thread...my apologies if I misunderstanding something. I'll hide behind the fact that I am French speaking and can't read English
Old 02-07-2013, 07:43 PM
Instructor

Good question. There is a hole that is not quite under the battery and toward the driver's headlight. That hole leads to a sub-level that seems to be sealed as I couldn't access it from below. To the right of the photo above you will see there are hoses there too. That's where it fell. I tried going around and under the hoses and down the hole, but that didn't work.

I would like to disconnect the battery and all the other paraphernalia that is in the way, but I'm not a mechanic and I'm not good at DIY. It will have to wait until I take it in to be serviced. Someone who is handier than I am could probably do it very easily.

Thanks. Are you in Canada or France?

PB

Originally Posted by weather
I tried to keep up with the whole thread but I am just curious, if the cap fell underneath the battery, couldn't just disconnect the battery, lift it out and then grab the cap? Unless I am misread the evolution of the thread...my apologies if I misunderstanding something. I'll hide behind the fact that I am French speaking and can't read English
Old 02-07-2013, 07:45 PM
Suzuka Master

Received 1,267 Likes on 864 Posts
^^^ Good luck and I can relate to not being a DIY kind of guy - I am great at washing them but can't fix'em. I am from Canada
phineasboggs (02-11-2013)
Old 02-08-2013, 10:18 PM
Safety Car

Received 377 Likes on 234 Posts
Thanks for the link. I ordered the "strainer" and hope that does the job. Sadly, apparently nobody shows pictures of their Acura products nor do they supply description. I hope it's right.

Thanks for your help!
You probably don't need the strainer, it is set down in the reservoir and won't likely come out on its own.

In the link provided by REVTEC; you need item 19, Reservoir Cap, 46662-SHJ-A02. Call a nearby dealer with that part number. He can tell you if he or any FL dealers have one in stock, or can order it for you. There are 4 Acura dealers around Tampa Bay/Lakeland/Sarasota.

Last edited by XLR8R; 02-08-2013 at 10:23 PM.
Old 02-11-2013, 04:29 PM
Instructor

Thanks Justin! I'll pay it forward!

Justin was my hero and he sent me a cap1 It is PERFECT, and I just put it on. Thanks so much Justin. You have restored my equilibrium (and the car's).

Meanwhile, I haven't yet had the car's steering fluid flushed. I did top it off. And I haven't heard the noise again, however, as I said, there was no pattern or reproducibility, so it could occur again. Then, I'll flush PDQ.

Thanks all (and especially the very kind Justin) and I'll report back if there's anything further to say.

Best,
PB

I do have an extra cap and strainer from my troubles.
Let me know if you need them.

if I remember correctly; the cap comes with the reservoir. so you need to buy the reservoir in order to get the cap.
I'm still willing to ship out my extra cap and strainer.
Old 12-26-2013, 10:58 AM
Instructor

PB, did the noise from your RDX seem to increase pitch/volume the more you turned the wheel?
Old 12-26-2013, 12:29 PM
Instructor

VietNinja -- Yes, it increased volume and increased generally when I turned the wheel.
Old 12-26-2013, 01:59 PM
Instructor

Hmm...those are my symptoms. PS fluid looks a little low on my RDX, so it looks like I'll be doing a flush/fill. I'm glad you got your issue(s) worked out, though!