SH-AWD Problem(a little long)

Search this Thread

Old 08-10-2007, 10:37 PM
Aint Doing Sh*t

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts
SH-AWD Problem(a little long)

There ware two things that I'd hoped would never cause a problem. The turbo and the SH-AWD. I am 0-1. While I was travelling to NC the check SH-AWD light came on. I could tell that there was something different about the way it drove. It would just labor up hills. So I had my wife break out the manual and it says that if that warning light displays then the car will automatically switch to front wheel drive. We pull over, shut it off, restart and the light goes away. I was like, maybe it was just random but about two miles down the road it happened again. So the next thing that I think is something is overheating but there is another warning display for that. So I wash, rinse and repeat but this time I let it sit a little longer. After we got back on the road a second time after about 50 miles "bong". Here we go again. Now I am pissed. I barely have 8000 miles on the odo and haven't been off-roading or anything crazy. It was just me, my wife, the dog and two suitcases, so we were not carrying too much weight. Well it was 10pm on friday and we were too far from home to turn around. I decided to keep driving and take it in during the week.

Forward to the following Monday I take it to the dealership and sit for and hour. The service rep calls me over and says they checked the computer and saw the warning code. Then he says that it will take them another 2 hours to actually diagnose the problem. He pulls me aside and whispers that it could be anything from a fuse to a bad rear diff and I am not the first one with this problem. They had to print out a diagnostic manual to even begin the work. So I set up an appointment for this Wednesday and they have had it since.

I am not all that worried but you never know. They are not able to look at my car until Saturday but I have a TSX in the meanwhile. One thing I did notce that the gas milage was better in front wheel drive. Only by a couple mpgs though. Driving the TSX again makes me wish that the RDX had a stiff chasis and handled more like it.

I should have my ride back sometime next. I'll keep you all posted.

Batman
Old 08-10-2007, 10:45 PM
Pro

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Sorry to hear of your troubles. Having a problem with any new car sucks. I wouldn't get too wound up though.....hopefully it's something simple. Keep us posted.

FWIW, I haven't seen any widespread SH-AWD problems on RL, RDX or MDX message boards.
Old 08-13-2007, 10:57 AM
ACURA ENTHUSIAST

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Sorry to hear about your issues BM...
Good luck w/ everything, and let us know how it goes.
Old 08-13-2007, 11:20 AM
Racer

Yeah good luck man. Hopefully it's just a one time thing!
Old 08-15-2007, 09:15 PM
Aint Doing Sh*t

The service rep has told me that they have found nothing wrong with my car. He said that maybe I had a wheel that was slipping after getting wet. That doesn't really make sense to me. My BS is detector is going off. They said that they have found any codes or anything. They supposedly drove it around with four people and the warning didn't happen again. Any Advice? I know for sure something is wrong. I go to pick it up tomorrow. I have a feeling that I will be back there within a few weeks.
Old 08-15-2007, 10:03 PM
Advanced

My SH-AWD light went off several times earlier this winter. It would "reset" when we turned the car off most of the time. I did not notice it driving differently, but I did take it into the dealer. They downloaded the error codes and although they also did not find anything wrong, they were able to see exactly when it went on. For me it only went on only during cold starts when the temp was single digits fahrenheit. They then cleared out all the codes and it hasn't occurred since.

Your dealer should've been able to pinpoint exactly what conditions your RDX was encountering when the light went on. Also, there is no way they wouldn't have been able to find a code (as far as I know). Everytime the SH-AWD light turns on it is stored.
Old 08-15-2007, 10:04 PM
rdxsteverino

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I'd bet on your BS detector

How long did the dealer drive it around? If you didn't see the problem reappear for 50 miles (after letting it sit for a while) they probably didn't give it enough time. I'm guessing they drove it for 10 - 15 min. If so, good chance you'll be back.
Old 08-16-2007, 04:08 AM
Advanced

Originally Posted by batman
The service rep has told me that they have found nothing wrong with my car. He said that maybe I had a wheel that was slipping after getting wet. That doesn't really make sense to me. My BS is detector is going off. They said that they have found any codes or anything. They supposedly drove it around with four people and the warning didn't happen again. Any Advice? I know for sure something is wrong. I go to pick it up tomorrow. I have a feeling that I will be back there within a few weeks.
A wheel slipping when it is wet would not set off a SH-AWD failure code, that is what SH-AWD is for! You have already shown them that you have a problem by bringing them a car with codes showing failure occurred. I would recommend calling the national customer service number. They will basically ride the deals a-- until they resolve the issue correctly.
Old 08-16-2007, 10:44 AM
07 RDX Tech - Blue/Ebony

if anyone would break the sh-awd, i would think i would...on a daily basis, i see this-

| |
| |||||

...but so far i have 12k miles with no issues.
Old 08-16-2007, 11:32 AM
Aint Doing Sh*t

I haven't had the balls to put my RDX in a corner like that. I'm still a little thrown off by the brake early then power through.
Old 08-16-2007, 12:23 PM
07 RDX Tech - Blue/Ebony

honestly, you dont have to brake too early. its a little counter-intuitive, though...because when you have no or little throttle, once you get to the onset of tire-squealing, floor it. the torque starts getting redistributed, and the car pulls out of the turn with no drama, and a lot of speed.

my wife thinks shes going to die, but there is almost no body roll. it doesnt even feel scary.
Old 08-22-2007, 10:35 AM
Aint Doing Sh*t

Strike 2

I have had my car back for a week now and it has happened again. After they told me that nothing is worng. Now I have to go through this all over again.
Old 08-22-2007, 11:37 AM
Three Wheelin'

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
I have had my car back for a week now and it has happened again. After they told me that nothing is worng. Now I have to go through this all over again.
What dealer are you using?
Old 08-22-2007, 02:59 PM
Aint Doing Sh*t

Radley
Old 08-22-2007, 04:57 PM
Intermediate

Question Oh, Radley.

Radley

Hey Batman,

How do you like their service department up to now? One of the dealers I'm working with is Radley-Radley of Arlington.

J
Old 08-22-2007, 07:31 PM
Aint Doing Sh*t

I actually like their service. They are pretty cool. I have never taken my cars anywhere else. It's just this situation sucks and I have to be real about it. I can't keep taking my car back for the same problem.
Old 08-22-2007, 08:11 PM
Intermediate

I actually like their service. They are pretty cool. I have never taken my cars anywhere else. It's just this situation sucks and I have to be real about it. I can't keep taking my car back for the same problem.

have then change the ATF in the rear diff. if you are carrying a load the system will run hot, just stop for a few with the motor running so it can cool down. just a side note only run mobil-1 full syn. Check the tire PSI so that they are on point.
Old 08-23-2007, 12:36 AM
Racer

Originally Posted by k24a
have then change the ATF in the rear diff. if you are carrying a load the system will run hot, just stop for a few with the motor running so it can cool down. just a side note only run mobil-1 full syn. Check the tire PSI so that they are on point.
?????
Old 08-23-2007, 02:42 AM
Safety Car

Received 377 Likes on 234 Posts
Originally Posted by mlb11
My SH-AWD light went off several times earlier this winter. It would "reset" when we turned the car off most of the time........ For me it only went on only during cold starts when the temp was single digits fahrenheit. They then cleared out all the codes and it hasn't occurred since.
This sounds a lot like extreme cold triggering the low fluid warning. Adding an ounce or two of ATF may have been their solution.
Old 08-27-2007, 06:25 PM
Aint Doing Sh*t

And the Verdict is.....

Replacement of the whole Rear Differential. I don't know if that's good or bad. It could mean that they couldn't figure out the probelm and replaced the whole thing or it was really a bad diff. Either way the parts will be in tomorrow and I pick my car up in three days. Then I will ask a few questions.
Old 08-27-2007, 09:46 PM
Three Wheelin'

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
I don't think they'd replace the whole thing unless it needed it. Glad they are actually doing something to correct the problem for you though. Its about time...
Old 08-29-2007, 04:19 PM
Intermediate

SAS, that is exactly what Acura did for my RDX last winter, they replaced the rear differential. When I picked up the car, they had my old one on a pallet and they were sending back to California for examination. My Sales dealership kept telling me nothing was wrong.
After it failed on me 4 times in a snowstorm, I took it to a different dealership. I think it occurred when I made tight left turns as I recall.
Old 08-29-2007, 08:51 PM
Intermediate

it is better to send it back and put a new one in. the lab has a better setup than the dealers do to test and see if it might be a common issue. besides i would rather a new one than a rebuilt.
Old 08-30-2007, 09:14 AM
Aint Doing Sh*t

That was the reason I said that because I have seen other dealers(not Acura) replace a part because they had no clue what was wrong with it. Not taking away that delears capabilities but it was an '07. The problem with that car was not well known and they had go back to the company that produced the part to find a fix.
Old 11-13-2013, 08:45 PM
9th Gear

Batman any more problems with the RDX since they replaced the rear differential? I am having the same issue with my 07 RDX and the dealership tested for a week and they are suggesting we replace turbo for $7,000 (parts and labour) !
Old 11-14-2013, 06:27 PM
Racer

Received 36 Likes on 32 Posts
He probably sold it by now since that was 6 years ago.
Old 11-15-2013, 05:44 PM
Suzuka Master

Received 609 Likes on 493 Posts
Originally Posted by Eastcoaster
Batman any more problems with the RDX since they replaced the rear differential? I am having the same issue with my 07 RDX and the dealership tested for a week and they are suggesting we replace turbo for $7,000 (parts and labour) !
You have trouble with the rear diff and turbo? Wow, you bought a POS. Was it white? Could have belonged to Wrestrepo...
Old 11-15-2013, 07:49 PM
9th Gear

No I have the same symptoms as the other owner - the SH-AWD and engine light coming off and on. I bought my car new in 2007. The dealership has been doing all sorts of tests and have come to the conclusion that it needs a new turbo. Several others in these threads have had the same engine warnings (even at very very low kms) so I wanted to see if any one fixed the issues with their RDX - I dont want to spend $7,000 on a new turbo.