Rattling sound under steering wheel

Search this Thread

Old 11-03-2019, 07:40 PM
Advanced

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts
Originally Posted by sgrenw5
Plus air in the fuel lines???? That doesn't even sound good...even if I am a girl?????
I would think that would cause driving issues too????
Sgrebw5,

Yes them dang squirrels under there are fairly annoying but I would not be too concerned. Fuels pumps are fairly inexpensive. Plus I drove with that noise for around 30,000 miles. I assumed the regulator was not getting enough fuel from the pump intern causing the chatter under the dash. If you look under the hood, to the left of the brake booster, the fuel pump is mounted on the firewall. I'm not a mechanic so I can't tell you technically why the fuel regulator was making the noise but that was my assumption. Anyways I replaced my pump and filter about 4 months ago and have not heard anymore squirrels thank god! Anyways, fairly easy fix so nothing to worry about .
As far as that picture you were asking about, I am not sure what you referencing in it. Do you have a different viewpoint?
Old 11-04-2019, 05:59 PM
Cruisin'

Received 7 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by sgrenw5

I have recently became the new owner of an 09 RDX with the SAME noise. The previous owners were meticulous about caring for the vehicle. The auto only has 75,000 miles.

????? The noise to me sounds like two squirrels arguing with each other!!!

Also if anyone could kindly tell me what this part in the circle is??

Any help would be much appreciated!!!

Thank you all
Sgrenw5
That's a safety strap to keep your drive shaft next to the car body in the case of driveshaft failure or collision.
Old 03-10-2020, 02:15 AM
Intermediate

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by ljcolomacks
Sgrebw5,

Yes them dang squirrels under there are fairly annoying but I would not be too concerned. Fuels pumps are fairly inexpensive. Plus I drove with that noise for around 30,000 miles. I assumed the regulator was not getting enough fuel from the pump intern causing the chatter under the dash. If you look under the hood, to the left of the brake booster, the fuel pump is mounted on the firewall. I'm not a mechanic so I can't tell you technically why the fuel regulator was making the noise but that was my assumption. Anyways I replaced my pump and filter about 4 months ago and have not heard anymore squirrels thank god! Anyways, fairly easy fix so nothing to worry about .
As far as that picture you were asking about, I am not sure what you referencing in it. Do you have a different viewpoint?
I believe the the alternative and cheaper preventive measure is to change the steering fluid.

​​​​​​see https://youtu.be/tmBpkptYw18

Kindly confirm if you are referrering to steering pump and not fuel pump?
​​​​​​​
Old 03-11-2020, 10:23 PM
Advanced

Originally Posted by pandaman
I believe the the alternative and cheaper preventive measure is to change the steering fluid.

​​​​​​see https://youtu.be/tmBpkptYw18

Kindly confirm if you are referrering to steering pump and not fuel pump?
I can confirm I am referring to the Fuel Pump. I have not heard the sound since the replacement.
Plus the power steering pump is not behind the firewall.
Old 03-12-2020, 12:25 AM
Intermediate

Can you take a picture? As i am curious where it is located. Is it at the back of the driver's side?

Thank you.
Old 03-12-2020, 01:16 AM
Intermediate

In addition to my queation. How much it is and where did you buy the parts? Is there a parts i can buy in amazon or ebay? Thank you in advance
Old 03-15-2020, 11:46 PM
Advanced

In addition to my queation. How much it is and where did you buy the parts? Is there a parts i can buy in amazon or ebay? Thank you in advance
Can you take a picture? As i am curious where it is located. Is it at the back of the driver's side?

Thank you.
Pandaman,

It was a weird solution that I found by accident. I was upgrading the fuel pump for larger injectors and happened to fix it.
So the fuel pump is actually under the rear seat. The fuel regulator is what is behind the firewall (I assumed was making the noise). When I replaced the fuel pump, the filter was extremely clogged (attaches to the bottom of the fuel pump). I "assumed": that because of the clog, the regulator kept getting air bubbles in the fuel line, making the noise. Since I upgraded the fuel pump I have not heard the noise anymore (been awhile).

To answer your question, the fuel regulator is mounted to the left of the brake booster on the firewall (driverside). It has a bracket in front of it so is somewhat hard to see. I do not have a picture, but it is number 16 on the regulator assembly. https://www.hondaacurapartsdirect.co...-fuel-injector

As for the fuel filter, you could probably just replace that vs the whole fuel pump. Here is a video on how to get access to it. Here is the fuel pump assembly. But I'm sure you can find just the filter somewhere. I personally was upgrading mine to a deatschwerks.
https://www.hondaacurapartsdirect.co...uel--fuel-tank
The following users liked this post:
amobofone (03-24-2023)
Old 03-24-2023, 12:21 PM
10th Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by ljcolomacks
Pandaman,

It was a weird solution that I found by accident. I was upgrading the fuel pump for larger injectors and happened to fix it.
So the fuel pump is actually under the rear seat. The fuel regulator is what is behind the firewall (I assumed was making the noise). When I replaced the fuel pump, the filter was extremely clogged (attaches to the bottom of the fuel pump). I "assumed": that because of the clog, the regulator kept getting air bubbles in the fuel line, making the noise. Since I upgraded the fuel pump I have not heard the noise anymore (been awhile).

To answer your question, the fuel regulator is mounted to the left of the brake booster on the firewall (driverside). It has a bracket in front of it so is somewhat hard to see. I do not have a picture, but it is number 16 on the regulator assembly. https://www.hondaacurapartsdirect.co...-fuel-injector

As for the fuel filter, you could probably just replace that vs the whole fuel pump. Here is a video on how to get access to it. Here is the fuel pump assembly. But I'm sure you can find just the filter somewhere. I personally was upgrading mine to a deatschwerks.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QidX_k4DqZc
https://www.hondaacurapartsdirect.co...uel--fuel-tank
I'm so grateful I stumbled on your post, the rattling noise you recorded in the first video sounds just like one I made of the noise I'm having in my 2009 RDX. So great that you stumbled on the solution, I'm not sure if Pandaman's solution of changing the power steering fluid is related or would solve this rattle. It also sounds like you're suggesting simply replacing the fuel filter would have solved the problem? Looking at the average cost for replacing an RDX fuel filter is around $250-$300 it seems like there must be an easier way to get to it than pulling and taking apart the pump. Are you sure it's located in the fuel pump itself and not a line going into it? Thanks again for a great post!

Last edited by amobofone; 03-24-2023 at 12:26 PM.
Old 03-24-2023, 12:40 PM
10th Gear

Did you happen to take a picture of the clogged fuel filter itself or where it's located?
Old 05-07-2023, 05:04 PM
10th Gear

So after actually trying this and replacing my fuel pump with a Delphi fuel pump on a 2009 RDX, it did not fix the noise. In fact it intensified it and became a constant flutter vs coming and going when the car got warmed up. So I took it out and put the old one back in, and was back to the original low flutter, like the sound you hear when you put the ignition in the On position and hear the pump priming for 2 seconds. I've taken it to my Acura dealer 3 times in the last 2 weeks. They blew out the entire fuel system and say the fuel pressure is fine. They've also ruled out by replacing the fuel dampener, and the fuel regulator, neither changed the sound so they put the old ones back on and haven't charged me other than $110 diagnostic. Now they're "waiting for responses from their Tech bulletins", and "considering bringing in a top tech to look at it". Can't believe such an obvious sound could be so hard to track down and resolve. But like the original poster pointed out, it gets annoying after thousands of miles of hearing it when you stop at a red light :/