Key stuck in ignition between accessory and on. It will not rotate key to off.

Search this Thread

Old 12-25-2023, 08:10 PM
VCM Engaged

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Key stuck in ignition between accessory and on. It will not rotate key to off.

This is regarding my 2007 RDX. I had couple times this week where the key would not want to turn from accessory to off position after turning the engine off. First time, all I had to do was rotate the key up one from accessory and back down to accessory couple times and it went to the off position off, releasing the key. The second time that didn't work, so I turned the engine on a few times and shifted to reverse and drive hoping that it would let me go to off after turning the engine off, but that didn't work. So,I drove it around for 10 minutes because I thought that the battery might die due to repeatedly starting the car. To my surprise, the key turned to off position and released when I got back from the drive.

The car seems to be ok going to park. Also, the first time, it let me get the key out without messing with the shifter so I am not sure if that's the issue. I had the neutral safety switch replaced 2 years ago because the battery acid corroded it and it's been fine since then.

How do I isolate the issue? I am thinking about lubricating some parts and potentially replace the ignition switch($30) before paying $125 for diagnostics. Please let me know if you have any suggestions or similar issues. Thank you for your help.
Old 07-23-2024, 12:20 AM
1st Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I have this problem

Hey there! I have this same problem currently on my 07 RDX and no one can seem to figure the problem out! Did you ever figure out what was causing this?
Sidenote— I DO have a bad neutral safety switch. Could that be the problem? It’s starting, but now not turning off. When I started the car 2 days ago, the D light was blinking and check transmission came on. I pulled over to turn the car off, and that’s when all of a sudden the key wouldn’t turn to off position. However, the check transmission went off, and the D stopped flashing! So now I have to keep disconnecting the battery before I can turn it off and get the key out! Help please if you found the solution to your issue!!!
Old 07-23-2024, 09:07 AM
Instructor

Received 67 Likes on 49 Posts
Lubricating the ignition switch would likely be my first approach, especially with a 2007, making it about 17 years old. Just buy a product intended for locks as the incorrect product can actually make things worse, especially in an old lock. I use a product called “Lock DryLube” made by the 3-in-1 oil company. I started using it on my 2000 Porsche Boxster which was known for key issues and never had an issue for the 22 years I owned it. When doing the lube make sure you have something non-porous under the switch to prevent drips getting on the carpet.

A tip, don’t add a bunch of things to the key ring. The total weight of the keyring can have an aggravating effect on the ignition switch.
The following users liked this post:
Chopperpilot (07-23-2024)