Engine slow crank/or no start

Search this Thread

Old 07-07-2017, 04:51 PM
10th Gear

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Engine slow crank/or no start

My 07 RDX is having starting problems. Cold start cranks slow but starts on first try most of the time. After driving around for 10-20 min, park and shut off and come back out (5min) it wont start but wait a min or so and try it again and eventually it will start. I just replaced the alternator within the last month and bought a new optima battery right before that and when I tested them both they are working fine. When testing the starter- starter amp draw is low with okay voltage. Is loose, worn wires/connectors in the starter the culprit? Solenoid? Difficult to replace?
Attached Thumbnails Engine slow crank/or no start-img_0072.jpg   Engine slow crank/or no start-img_0073.jpg   Engine slow crank/or no start-img_0074.jpg  
Old 07-08-2017, 11:24 AM
Advanced

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
Originally Posted by TribedazeRDX
My 07 RDX is having starting problems. Cold start cranks slow but starts on first try most of the time. After driving around for 10-20 min, park and shut off and come back out (5min) it wont start but wait a min or so and try it again and eventually it will start. I just replaced the alternator within the last month and bought a new optima battery right before that and when I tested them both they are working fine. When testing the starter- starter amp draw is low with okay voltage. Is loose, worn wires/connectors in the starter the culprit? Solenoid? Difficult to replace?
Looks like a bad starter. It should not have low amp draw. The amperage is important when cranking over.
Old 07-16-2017, 01:57 PM
Advanced

Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts
Sounds similar to what happened on my 08, especially where it would start okay when cold, but not after a 15 minute drive. I replaced the starter almost 2 years ago now with advice from this thread: Starter motor replacement.

(my notes are at the end)

I got the replacement starter at AutoZone - $190 with lifetime warranty. For what it's worth, it looked like the same (labeled Mitsuba) starter that I took out.
Old 11-13-2018, 03:58 PM
1st Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Hi all
just want to confirm - it is starter , I am changing one in my 2007 RDX just now ( 123.000m)
Old 11-25-2018, 10:47 PM
Cruisin'

Received 6 Likes on 1 Post
Seems that ~120k is about the limit for the starter. I just replaced the battery, alternator, and finally starter (the actual culprit) on my 2007 last week. All current and voltage tests were good to the starter, so it was hard to diagnose. The mechanic pulled my original unit and saw that it had grease/grime build up on the inside of it which he guessed was binding it. Same problem though, started slow when cold (but started) and every start after that was progressively more difficult.
Old 12-02-2018, 07:20 PM
CSmoney28

Received 164 Likes on 144 Posts
I have the stock starter/alternator on my 09’ and I have 140k but I am on my third battery unfortunately.
Old 01-05-2019, 11:02 AM
Instructor

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
I'm pasted 280000KM mark on 2 Battery, replaced on recall compresseur. everything original besides brake pads and all discs and a tube coming out of thermostat corroded.
Turbo trouble now.
No problems on starter what so ever.
I guess the symptoms of yours are the brushes of the starter. (Guessing)