Break Fade/Grinding noise and feel

Old 08-28-2009, 09:55 AM
Cruisin'

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Break Fade/Grinding noise and feel

Has anyone experienced any grinding noise and feel when having to break at high speeds or down a hill? Also, when this happens, the breaks are not really breaking. I feel like I'm going to hit the person in front of me and it makes a nasty griding noise which I am almost certain it's coming from the driver side front brakes.

This is especially scary during rush hour traffic with those frequent sudden stops. I spoke to my friend whose dad is a mechanic and he said that it's due to break fade. That the break pads are over heated and the breaks may not be good enough for the RDX. Is that true?

I have an 08 RDX with 18300 miles on it. Could it be time for new breaks already or will this be covered under warranty? I've owned plenty of new cars in the past and have never had to replace the breaks or pads as early as 18k. I feel like this may be a defect and I should try and get Acura to fix it. Any thoughts?
Old 08-28-2009, 09:59 AM
Advanced

I posted the same question months ago. The dealer said my problem was the brake pads are overheating because of the oem 19 inch wheels. I just put ebc yellowstuff pads on and the brakes are much better. The stock pads are junk.
Old 08-28-2009, 10:02 AM
Advanced

My RDX is a 2008 Tech . I bought it new and I only have 8000 miles on it and I replaced the brake pads and battery.
Old 08-28-2009, 10:30 AM
Cruisin'

Thanks...did you change out the pads yourself or did the dealer do it for you? I am assuming the dealer didn't cover it under warranty since break pads are not covered. To be frank, I'm a girl, and yeah....not handy at all and know very little about cars. No offensive to other girls out there. I am speaking for myself. I would take it to an independent shop but the only Acura certified shop I have found in my area didn't do a very good job last time I was there. My friend's dad's shop is in DC. I am in Charlotte, NC.
Old 08-28-2009, 10:50 AM
Advanced

I changed the pads myself. Its really easy. Do a search for yellowstuff brake pads and there are pictures that show you how to swap them out in one of the posts. I never did changed pads before and it helped me do it. Good luck
Old 08-28-2009, 11:23 PM
'06 RL Tech

Received 38 Likes on 31 Posts
If you're changing the pads I'd go have the thickness of your rotors checked also since you're getting grinding. Better safe than sorry.
Old 08-29-2009, 11:37 AM
Intermediate

Originally Posted by LittleC982
Has anyone experienced any grinding noise and feel when having to break at high speeds or down a hill? Also, when this happens, the breaks are not really breaking. I feel like I'm going to hit the person in front of me and it makes a nasty griding noise which I am almost certain it's coming from the driver side front brakes.

This is especially scary during rush hour traffic with those frequent sudden stops. I spoke to my friend whose dad is a mechanic and he said that it's due to break fade. That the break pads are over heated and the breaks may not be good enough for the RDX. Is that true?

I have an 08 RDX with 18300 miles on it. Could it be time for new breaks already or will this be covered under warranty? I've owned plenty of new cars in the past and have never had to replace the breaks or pads as early as 18k. I feel like this may be a defect and I should try and get Acura to fix it. Any thoughts?
I have the same problem with my 07, but the Acura shop mechanic I brought it to argued with me and said it was not the front but the rear pads not making full contact with the rotors. I paid $280 to have it the rotors turned (total ripoff). The brakes grind as much as ever. I also noticed that the front passenger side will lock up before all the others, so this may be an issue with the active brake system or whatever it's called. My tires have 32,000 on them (factory tires), so they might need replacing and that might account for the locking up. They aren't quite worn to the TWI's but they might not be making good contact with the pavement.
Old 08-30-2009, 12:28 AM
'06 RL Tech

Received 38 Likes on 31 Posts
I'd find another mechanic if he arguing with you. How rude is that? I was told that the rotors were too thin to be turned because they don't make them a thick as they did in the past. If they're still grinding go to another brake shop to get an opinion. Hopefully some one you can trust.

I didn't have the problems you're having, and didn't replace the factory tires 'til 42k. Sounds like there needs to be a better mechanic that can look at your issues.
Old 09-02-2009, 08:41 AM
Intermediate

Originally Posted by JMJ3rd
I'd find another mechanic if he arguing with you. How rude is that? I was told that the rotors were too thin to be turned because they don't make them a thick as they did in the past. If they're still grinding go to another brake shop to get an opinion. Hopefully some one you can trust.

I didn't have the problems you're having, and didn't replace the factory tires 'til 42k. Sounds like there needs to be a better mechanic that can look at your issues.
I guess it all depends on the mechanic/shop that you go to. I've been having a terrible time finding a good Acura service department in the Chicago area.

It seems that the problem is with bad factory pads heating up and glazing. I noticed that the stock pads are extremely dusty, so the compound must be too soft or something. If you brake hard it heats up the pads and they glaze, and then they grind until the glazed surface wears away.

I think I will be buying a set of aftermarket pads and either install them myself or find an independent shop to install them. I didn't get around to searching threads, but if anyone has a brand recommendation please let me know.
Old 09-08-2009, 12:08 PM
Cruisin'

Hi all! Thanks for all the suggestions and replies. I have an update. I brought the car in to the dealership on Thursday. After about 2 hours, the service rep came to me and said the brake pads and rotors are fine and that they couldn't find anything wrong even after taking it for a spin. Then he goes on and asks "Have you ever owned a turbo before?" I told him no and then he goes on to explain that the brakes are doing what it's suppose to be doing and that it's part of the turbo engine and it's part of the vacuum of the turbo or something. Well I was not satified with the answer nor was I convinced that the brakes had anything to do with the turbo. I expressed my concern about the safety of the vehicle. The service rep left to talk to the Master Engineer. Aparently the Master Engineer called the Acura Tech Line?!?! and apparently 3 others have complained about the same issue in the country. The solution was to replace the master cynlinder. They are keeping my car to run additional tests on it and they will also replace the master cylinder even if they do not find anything.

Also, they seem to think what I am feeling with the grinding is the VSA kicking in. Anything thoughts? I am aware that the brake pedal drops a little when it does kick in but the grinding feel, noticeable noise it makes and the lost of braking power?? I am not so sure. It seems they are so quick to assume it's in the error of the driver.

Now I am in a 2009 MDX loaner for the week. It's nice but it drives like a whale compared the to RDX. I'll post an update when I get my car back.
Old 10-05-2009, 01:17 PM
Instructor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I have the same exact problem. I have been to the dealership twice with this complaint and received the same answer-everything checks out perfect. I have yet to replace the brakes because the dealership says that I have > 60% on the fronts and 80 on the rear. When I do get around to changing them I am not sure what to go to. I have heard stories of these Yellowstuff pads squealing and eating rotors. Hopefully this is not the case as there seem to be few options for this car. The dealer is full of it. The brakes are terrible on this car from the factory.
Old 10-05-2009, 10:56 PM
Advanced

If you change out the pads the problem will be gone. My RDX had less then 8000 miles and I couldnt take the OEM pads anymore. I put EBC yellowstuff on the front and back and the braking is GREAT. The hotter they get the better they work. The yellowstuff pads do not squeal. They have been quiet since I put them on. I also put on G-Spec (Crown) braided stainless / kevlar brake lines on the front and back and this just made the brake system even better.
Old 10-06-2009, 08:48 AM
Advanced

Think I read in press release, review, or something that brakes had been improved on 2010 model. Has anyone driven both past and current models and noticed any diff? Also, does anyone know what they did to improve the brakes, and if they are now sufficient so no aftermarket upgrade is necessary?
Old 10-08-2009, 12:52 PM
Cruisin'

**UPDATE**
After driving it for three weeks the problem still exists!! The dealership replaced the master cylinder and apparently they found the push rod (i think that was what the master tech called it) was a little too long so they adjusted that. Since it was too long, the brakes failed to some degree when i step on it really hard. So still no fix. I've really been trying to figure out when it all occurs...it seems to happen more often when I drive in stop and go traffic and occurs about 25 minutes after driving. If I go 40mph or above and have to slow down fast the grinding/loss of braking power kicks in when the car hits about 20mph. So I guess I need to call the dealership again.

Oh and yes...I heard that the 2010 have new and improved brakes. Kinda makes me think though...if there was really nothing wrong with the brakes (so the dealership claims), why does it need to be improved? By the way, the MDX loaner I had for a week might have been slow with acceleration, but that thing stopped like a champ!!! Now if only my RDX could stop like that....
Old 10-08-2009, 02:55 PM
Former Sponsor

Received 509 Likes on 323 Posts
All you should really need is new pads man. This happens all the time with other cars and other pads. They just might not be fitting your driving style. Get something a tad more aggressive and I would think the problem should go away. Dealers have a tendency to either under- or over- think these things.
Old 10-08-2009, 07:30 PM
not an SUV ...a Big Hatch

Received 89 Likes on 72 Posts
Do you happen to know if any bigger Honda/Acura brakes will bolt up to the RDX? ..or Big brake kits for say a TL?

Hmmm... NSX brakes?
Old 10-13-2009, 06:51 AM
Advanced

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
The problem with the RDX brakes is that the rotor size is inadequate for a 4000 pound vehicle, plain and simple. There is no overcoming physics. The stock pads on my 2007 overheated frequently when driving on the highway, and eventually the rotors developed hot spots that would chatter and shudder the front end all over the place. I bought drilled slotted rotors on eBay and EBC green stuff pads. It stops okay now with a good shove on the brake pedal, and the pads do not overheat and fade at speed. It does make an annoying noise whenever braking, not a grinding but a whirring/rubbing noise, probably a combination of the compound and heated air "popping" out of the holes and slots. It does not have GREAT stopping power like a properly designed performance vehicle would, and it never will with the tiny rotors it has. As for replacing the rotors with larger ones, the caliper would also have to be relocated to make that work.

Joe
Old 11-17-2009, 10:35 AM
Cruisin'

I got another update. Two weeks after my last post, I nearly rear ended someone on the way to work. I was able to avoid a collision by swerving into the turn lane. My RDX did not stop until the front was about where the driver was in the Honda Accord in front of me. Being so freaked out by it, I called Acura Customer Care and opened a case. I felt it to be unacceptable that my car was so unsafe and it's only a year old. They immediately made me bring the car back to the dealership and sent me on my way in a loaner RDX. The loaner was a 2009 and it stopped like a champ. Nothing like my 2008. Maybe cause it only had 8,000 miles on it. Anyways, a week later with many test drives, they found the the problem!! My rear right calipers apparently was not working when the brakes were hot. They worked when the car was cold. They dont know why but they replaced both calipers in the back under warranty. Now it stops again. Been driving the car for about a month now and defintely feel a difference. Can't replicate the problem I was having before. I'm brining the car in again this weekend just to have them look at it to make sure everything is settled in. They probably hate me over there
Old 12-10-2009, 04:22 PM
3rd Gear

I had this problem at 20,000 miles. Took it to the dealer and they couldn't find anything wrong, so me and the technition went for a ride. We went to a hill and drove down at 40 mph and the tech (he was driving) pressed hard on the brakes and low and behold the brakes were grinding like you wouldn't believe.

We went back and I got new rotors and pads on the front wheels under warranty.

Don't give up, the tech told me I was the third one thay had with the problem.
Old 12-25-2009, 03:21 PM
10th Gear

Yes, finally I have found others with my same issue! This happens on my 2007 RDX (19" OEM wheels, 30K miles). After heating up, the driver side front break will groan/grind under a moderate to heavy stop. The dealership wouldn't touch it without me paying for a brake inspection, which i did, and when they saw that the pads still had 8mm left on them they promptly refunded my payment for the inspection because the pads weren't the issue. They can't figure out what is wrong...so how shall this issue be fixed since you guys seem to be on top of it? Rotors/pads/calipers...what is it? Thanks!
Old 12-25-2009, 04:39 PM
Advanced

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
"I bought drilled slotted rotors on eBay and EBC green stuff pads."

Front brakes only.

Joe
Old 07-07-2010, 04:09 PM
10th Gear

I got a 2009 RDX with 24K miles. Steering wheel would shake noticeably at higher speeds 60-75 mph. Took it to my local dealer and they are grinding the rotors to smooth them out as I write this. Covered under warranty they said.
Old 07-09-2010, 08:22 PM
Instructor

Does the RDX have soft brakes?

I'm interested in the brake problems, because, in the brief time I've driven my RDX, the brakes seem soft to me. I press them pretty close to the floor for them to catch. I've had turbos in my Saab, and I don't remember this sort of problem.

Most of all, I'm wondering if it is a problem or if it's just the way the RDXs run?

Last edited by phineasboggs; 07-09-2010 at 08:24 PM.
Old 07-10-2010, 08:46 AM
2008 Acura RDX

Received 58 Likes on 48 Posts
Generally the RDX does'nt have the best brake 'feel', it leans towards the 'soft' side of things. This is why people try to improve on this by changing brake lines pads and in some cases discs!
Old 07-10-2010, 12:37 PM
Instructor

Thanks! That's exactly what I needed to know.

Originally Posted by wspy
Generally the RDX does'nt have the best brake 'feel', it leans towards the 'soft' side of things. This is why people try to improve on this by changing brake lines pads and in some cases discs!
Thanks, that's EXACTLY what I wanted to know. I didn't want to let it go if there was a problem. The car does stop fine (no grinding), but it is squooshy compared to others. Thanks for letting me hijack too!
Old 07-23-2010, 12:21 AM
10th Gear

Dealer finally recognized my problem after I convinced them to let the service tech go on a test drive with me...new rotors and pads getting installed under a goodwill warranty repair on my 07 RDX (37K miles, but it has been happening since 21K).
Old 09-04-2010, 10:55 PM
5th Gear

I had the same issue on my 2008. Horrible grinding I have only heard when brakes were so worn it was metal on metal. However, OEM pads like new. Bought new good quality after-market rotors and the best pads I could fine. Be sure to clean new rotors with brake clean and wipe dry, keeping dirting hands off surface areas. Problem gone and brakes much more responsive.
Old 09-05-2010, 07:56 PM
Instructor

Which pads and rotors did you buy?
Old 09-07-2010, 12:52 PM
Former Sponsor

We've solved this issue on the 99-03 TLs by putting on much more durable pads and rotors that have better cooling properties. I know we can get a setup made for RDX people if we can get something like 20 people on board.
Old 09-27-2010, 03:14 PM
Cruisin'

**UPDATE**
I got another update. Two weeks after my last post, I nearly rear ended someone on the way to work. I was able to avoid a collision by swerving into the turn lane. My RDX did not stop until the front was about where the driver was in the Honda Accord in front of me. Being so freaked out by it, I called Acura Customer Care and opened a case. I felt it to be unacceptable that my car was so unsafe and it's only a year old. They immediately made me bring the car back to the dealership and sent me on my way in a loaner RDX. The loaner was a 2009 and it stopped like a champ. Nothing like my 2008. Maybe cause it only had 8,000 miles on it. Anyways, a week later with many test drives, they found the the problem!! My rear right calipers apparently was not working when the brakes were hot. They worked when the car was cold. They dont know why but they replaced both calipers in the back under warranty. Now it stops again. Been driving the car for about a month now and defintely feel a difference. Can't replicate the problem I was having before. I'm brining the car in again this weekend just to have them look at it to make sure everything is settled in. They probably hate me over there
OMG! Thank you so much for looking into this and posting it. I've had the same problem with my driver side brakes. I've mentioned it to the service rep a couple of times on a whim to check em out and they came back with the same answer both times. "Everything checks out ok." I'm gonna print this post and bring it back to them with and hopefully it won't take a lot of convincing. My warranty is almost up too
Old 10-04-2010, 01:59 PM
10th Gear

I have an 09 RDX with about 20k miles on it. We picked it up used with 15k miles and my wife has told me numerous times she has heard the brakes make a heavy grinding noise... but she didn't mention that it resulted in poor braking.

I was in the car once and heard this, it's definitely not normal and I was planning to bring in the car this week. The problem is that it happens rarely (maybe once in 50 stops?? not sure) so I know they won't be able to re-create the issue.

glad (in a weird way) to see other's have this issue...I'll re-post after I bring the car in for servicing.
Old 10-07-2010, 11:48 AM
10th Gear

As a follow up, I was able to recreate the grinding noise as I was on my way to the dealership. I got the tech in the car and he was able to hear the noise first hand.

The resolution was to surface the rotors and replace the pads. So far the noise is gone, but I'll need at least a week to determine if it's fixed for good since the problem is intermittent.

This tells me the dealer had no clue what the actual fault is; IMO they opted to replace parts versus spend X amount of hours troubleshooting.

I think they may have been reluctant to do anything if I had not been able to recreate the fault with the tech in the car. But to my surprise everything went smoothly and was covered under warranty. It was my first experience with the local Acura service department and it was a very good experience.
Old 10-07-2010, 11:53 AM
Former Sponsor

Originally Posted by SoCalSk8r
This tells me the dealer had no clue what the actual fault is; IMO they opted to replace parts versus spend X amount of hours troubleshooting.
The problem as the pads. The compound does not match your driving style. The compound is too mild for the temperatures that the brakes reach during normal driving. Either that or you are not braking with enough pedal pressure. One way or another, if it comes back, hit us up for some aftermarket pads that will match you better.
Old 10-07-2010, 02:58 PM
Suzuka Master

Received 609 Likes on 493 Posts
Hi all! Thanks for all the suggestions and replies. I have an update. I brought the car in to the dealership on Thursday. After about 2 hours, the service rep came to me and said the brake pads and rotors are fine and that they couldn't find anything wrong even after taking it for a spin. Then he goes on and asks "Have you ever owned a turbo before?" I told him no and then he goes on to explain that the brakes are doing what it's suppose to be doing and that it's part of the turbo engine and it's part of the vacuum of the turbo or something. Well I was not satified with the answer nor was I convinced that the brakes had anything to do with the turbo. I expressed my concern about the safety of the vehicle. The service rep left to talk to the Master Engineer. Aparently the Master Engineer called the Acura Tech Line?!?! and apparently 3 others have complained about the same issue in the country. The solution was to replace the master cynlinder. They are keeping my car to run additional tests on it and they will also replace the master cylinder even if they do not find anything.

Also, they seem to think what I am feeling with the grinding is the VSA kicking in. Anything thoughts? I am aware that the brake pedal drops a little when it does kick in but the grinding feel, noticeable noise it makes and the lost of braking power?? I am not so sure. It seems they are so quick to assume it's in the error of the driver.

Now I am in a 2009 MDX loaner for the week. It's nice but it drives like a whale compared the to RDX. I'll post an update when I get my car back.
Whoa, Shit. Must pay better attention to this as I thought I was feeling something weird the other day.

Originally Posted by BigHatch
Do you happen to know if any bigger Honda/Acura brakes will bolt up to the RDX? ..or Big brake kits for say a TL?

Hmmm... NSX brakes?
+1, uoo, uoo, Pick ME too!
Old 10-18-2010, 02:57 PM
Cruisin'

I'm back....wow....can't believe so many others are having the same issue also. I'm sad to say that as I am writing this, my RDX is back at the dealership...AGAIN....for the same brake issue. Last fix seem to have only lasted a year. I can't believe that there is not a recall or something on this. I did a search on this and found on another site that a couple of people have reported "rear calipers don't clamp" and "calipers froze" which to me sounds like a widespread issue. And no, I don't think it's the brake pads as so many have suggested that I replace them. Problem is when the brakes are hot, the calipers fail to clamp in the rear right brake. Only happens after I drive for about 20-30 minutes or longer and in hard braking situations, like when driving 40+mph and the light changes to red and you need to slam on the brakes, or in stop and go traffic and someone cuts you off. If it's only been 5 minutes of driving it works perfectly fine in any situation. I wish Acura would spend time to find the root cause of the problem and fix it istead of just giving a temporary fix.
Old 10-18-2010, 03:30 PM
XIS
Lizard King

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
I am so glad my 2007 with 33K miles has not had any brake issues at all. Knock on wood...
Hope yours is resolved soon.
Old 10-18-2010, 06:10 PM

LittleC982: Did they flush your fluid/lines? maybe an air bubble?
Old 10-18-2010, 07:31 PM
Cruisin'

Yes...Not sure if I mentioned before but here's what they have done so far. New master cylinder, push rod adjustment, new brake lines, new brake hose, new brake fluid, new calipers on both rear wheels, rotors re-surfaced. All covered under warranty. We'll see what they say.
Old 10-18-2010, 11:31 PM
Instructor

I need to try new brake pads. I think this is happening to me. I looked at the pads and there's still a lot of meat left on them, but the overheating would explain why this is happening with thick pads still. I'm actually not even sure if they are OEM pads. It also makes sense since it doesn't happen in the mornings when I first take my car out of the driveway. After a while of driving though, it'll start grinding.
Old 10-19-2010, 09:21 PM

the stock brakes suck.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Break Fade/Grinding noise and feel