RDX Hybrid BOV

Search this Thread

Old 12-17-2010, 01:07 PM
2008 NBP

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
RDX Hybrid BOV

I just finished the custom machined Forged Performance BOV/BPV the thing is amazing!!! sounds soooo sick and best of all it can be blocked off the only vent to the intake if you wish... Here is what it originally looks like and what it looks like finished and installed... videos to come soo...

http://d5otzd52uv6zz.cloudfront.net/...7df9a4-800.jpg

And here is the custom BOV looks like machined and installed...

Old 12-17-2010, 03:45 PM
Pro

Received 48 Likes on 42 Posts
Nice - does it only work for the Forged Performance BOV?

Can you make a video of how it sounds?
Old 12-17-2010, 04:14 PM
Boost Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Wow, how did you get this to work? I've had issues trying to work a Forge BPV fashioned off the CX-7 model, since they almost the same engine type. I even worked with Forge in Florida to try to fix the issues.
Old 12-17-2010, 09:56 PM
Intermediate

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Damn that look sick. I definetly want to see the video and hear how the sound. How much is or does this Bov cost?Looks good
Old 12-19-2010, 10:10 PM
2008 NBP

Here is the video... love this thing
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=V5CtpmBpj8A
Old 12-20-2010, 01:17 AM
Boost Enthusiast

Man, I wanna figure out the science to this.
Old 12-20-2010, 06:34 AM
Pro

Originally Posted by xrvman
Here is the video... love this thing
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=V5CtpmBpj8A
Sweet; can you make more of these bov adapters?
Also what else is needed besides the BOV of course. (Extra hoses, clips?)
Old 12-20-2010, 07:06 AM
Instructor

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts
[QUOTE=xrvman;12568944]I just finished the custom machined Forged Performance BOV/BPV the thing is amazing!!! sounds soooo sick and best of all it can be blocked off the only vent to the intake if you wish... Here is what it originally looks like and what it looks like finished and installed... videos to come soo...

http://d5otzd52uv6zz.cloudfront.net/...7df9a4-800.jpg

And here is the custom BOV looks like machined and installed...[QUOTE]

Was this made in partnership with Forge or is this something you fabricated on your own?

I would be very interested in purchasing one either way. Although I'm sure it provides absolutely no performance gains, I still want the swoosh.

Last edited by LC2ner; 12-20-2010 at 07:09 AM.
Old 12-20-2010, 10:37 AM
2008 NBP

Originally Posted by JCRDX11
Sweet; can you make more of these bov adapters?
Also what else is needed besides the BOV of course. (Extra hoses, clips?)
Yeah I can make more... I would make them as a package including everything needed... the stock clips are used on the vacuum line... I custom cut 2 gaskets... depending on what I can get the BPV from forged will determine what I will charge...

And no there are no performance gains... but I can promise it wont fail when you begin modding the car further I.E. reflash, intake, exhaust, whatever... plus yes you get the nice wooosshhh
Old 12-20-2010, 11:50 AM
Pro

Yeah I can make more... I would make them as a package including everything needed... the stock clips are used on the vacuum line... I custom cut 2 gaskets... depending on what I can get the BPV from forged will determine what I will charge...

And no there are no performance gains... but I can promise it wont fail when you begin modding the car further I.E. reflash, intake, exhaust, whatever... plus yes you get the nice wooosshhh

That would be great if you can make a few for us RDX guys.
Just let us know the price first.

It is a nice little mod.
Old 12-20-2010, 04:41 PM
Boost Enthusiast

So does it fully vent to atmosphere, or does it partially vent and partially recirc?
Old 12-20-2010, 04:50 PM
2008 NBP

Originally Posted by DeEjAy_LiM
So does it fully vent to atmosphere, or does it partially vent and partially recirc?
did you watch the video?? it vents to both but can be made to only recirc by installing the dummy plug. If it only vented to the atmosphere the engine would stall on high boost dumps
Old 12-20-2010, 05:14 PM
WTF?

Received 243 Likes on 230 Posts
^ so any word on how much the package deal would be or just the add ins?
Old 12-20-2010, 05:34 PM
Boost Enthusiast

did you watch the video?? it vents to both but can be made to only recirc by installing the dummy plug. If it only vented to the atmosphere the engine would stall on high boost dumps
Yea I saw the video. So you're losing some of the boost to atmosphere. I'm trying to figure this out because I had a Forge BPV that was full recirc but gave me problems. Maybe too much air was pushed back into the intake.
Old 12-20-2010, 07:41 PM
2008 NBP

Yea I saw the video. So you're losing some of the boost to atmosphere. I'm trying to figure this out because I had a Forge BPV that was full recirc but gave me problems. Maybe too much air was pushed back into the intake.
yeah I tried talkin g to forged to get the BPV that you have and they wouldnt do it so i went and got the splitter and made it... the Splitter is adjustable depending on RPM range... right now I am on the loosest setting so On high boost dumps i am loosing it to mostly atmosphere but I adjusted it to return almost the same amount of PSi back to the engine at idle that the stock BPV did... the rest is vented to atmosphere during idle... this engine is very touchy especially with only 700 miles on it still isnt even broken in until 1250... but next is either water/meth for increased power and MPG both by 20% and the juice is only $30 for 4 gallons... with a 2 gallon tak it would need to be filled about every 3-4 weeks for me... or a boost controller of some sorts... the problem with that is our turbo is variable valve and is controlled by not only the ECU but also 2 separate waste gates... also the compressor side of the turbo is considerably smaller than the exhaust side, it seems acura made this turbo to push this stock amount off boost and not much more... but who knows we will see... more R&D is necessary
Old 12-21-2010, 12:54 AM
Boost Enthusiast

Well yea, because I still have the BPV they gave me haha. They never asked for it back and I thought any hope of an aftermarket BOV/BPV was dead. Hopefully you won't have any probs as I did in the long term. I'll def be following any updates on your BOV kit.
Old 12-21-2010, 06:06 PM
2008 Acura RDX

Received 58 Likes on 48 Posts
The RDX ECM is very touchy when it come to increasing the boost! As soon as it sees, I believe, anything over 18 psi it goes into limp mode. Check with Sean Church on the matter, he did megga research into modding the RDX and was working closely with Hondata on the current flash!
Old 12-22-2010, 12:32 PM
2008 NBP

Well yea, because I still have the BPV they gave me haha. They never asked for it back and I thought any hope of an aftermarket BOV/BPV was dead. Hopefully you won't have any probs as I did in the long term. I'll def be following any updates on your BOV kit.
my goal is to make a kit that I could sell so that you could buy the BOV and just adapt it... including hose and gaskets... unfortunately the baseplate to the splitter is a complicated CNC'd piece... So instead of messing with that piece my base plate is adapted to the splitter baseplate, BUT the splitter baseplate has to be lathed down to remove the hose adaptor that is already there... For now I need to wait until my fabricator comes back from christmas vacation...

Im also working with someone else on here who has connections to multiple other companies, therefore cheaper prices... so other BOV options may become available... for now I will be driving the car to get some longterm data... also I will be trying a snow performance water/meth kit... when I get the $$ a 2.5 gallon tank should last about a month with the miles I put on and the increase is 20% in both power and MPG so about 3.8 MPG and 48HP

BTW re watch the video and pay special attention to the rubber hose going from the intercooler to the intake... that will be the next to go... I will be replacing it with a stronger silicon piece that wont swell under high boost... I can't even imagine how much boost pressure is lost here...

Last edited by xrvman; 12-22-2010 at 12:42 PM.
Old 12-22-2010, 06:15 PM
Boost Enthusiast

BTW re watch the video and pay special attention to the rubber hose going from the intercooler to the intake... that will be the next to go... I will be replacing it with a stronger silicon piece that wont swell under high boost... I can't even imagine how much boost pressure is lost here...
Not quite familiar with which spot you looking at. But agreed, any aftermarket hose is surely better than stock. You did well on this project. Def had more resources than I did.
Old 12-22-2010, 07:09 PM
not an SUV ...a Big Hatch

Received 89 Likes on 72 Posts
...pay special attention to the rubber hose going from the intercooler to the intake... that will be the next to go... I will be replacing it with a stronger silicon piece that wont swell under high boost... I can't even imagine how much boost pressure is lost here...
Do you really think that it might swell that much under "high" boost, I'm sure some of that is the bounce back from the throttle plate closing...
Old 12-22-2010, 08:47 PM
2008 NBP

Originally Posted by BigHatch
Do you really think that it might swell that much under "high" boost, I'm sure some of that is the bounce back from the throttle plate closing...
Im pretty sure that under high boost it is swelling a little... and a lot of it has to do with pressure from the plate close... but regardless... swelling= lost pressure which I dont want... I havent even had a chance to look at the hot side hose... I know the majority of it is a aluminum piping with actually nice powdercoating but regardless there is a long rubber hose there... anything is better than stock hosing... Silicon will be up next... and also a turbo timer may become necessary when modding starts getting closer to the power aspect of things. But not for a while... Ive come to realize that on turbocharged cars its the little things that help... Though the goal is to keep the car as close to factory as possible... I mean I only have 800 miles on it... im not about to blow my 60k warranty right outa the gate
Old 01-02-2011, 06:10 AM
Instructor

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts
Any update on this?
Old 01-02-2011, 09:29 AM
Pro

I know there is no performance gains but did you notice any performance loss when you install this mod?

If so, is it because it is venting to the atmosphere?
Old 01-02-2011, 10:00 AM
2008 NBP

^^ there is no performance loss... because it is venting to the atmosphere the turbo is able to spool much faster and it has cut back on the lag that I noticed prior to install... I did at first notice a decrease in mpg... only because I loved getting off the gas every two seconds to hear the thing... but now that im back to regular driving im averaging 19.1 city
Old 01-02-2011, 10:02 AM
B A N N E D

Received 13 Likes on 13 Posts
Originally Posted by wspy
The RDX ECM is very touchy when it come to increasing the boost! As soon as it sees, I believe, anything over 18 psi it goes into limp mode. Check with Sean Church on the matter, he did megga research into modding the RDX and was working closely with Hondata on the current flash!
considering the boost pressure chart below, i don't think the turbo will be able to even support 18 psi very well, it will probably put out an extremely hot charge, and you will start to actually lose power

and that is why you gotta do something like this.... (then the computer is 100% happy with seeing the increased boost)
http://www.hondata.com/reflash_rdx.html

along with increased boost too

Last edited by friesm2000; 01-02-2011 at 10:07 AM.
Old 01-02-2011, 10:10 AM
B A N N E D

Received 13 Likes on 13 Posts
then these too links might also help too...

http://www.importtuner.com/tech/powe...ges/index.html

and

http://www.turbomagazine.com/tech/tu...magnaflow.html
Old 01-03-2011, 03:53 PM
Instructor

nice, interesting
Old 01-03-2011, 04:27 PM
2008 NBP

^^ unfortunately they dont have the reflash for the 2011 yet...
Old 01-04-2011, 01:31 AM
Three Wheelin'

Received 65 Likes on 52 Posts
Doesn't this BOV reduce psi? anyway nice job this thing is a nice cosmetic? upgrade. i've got the hondata flash the car is much smoother in acceleration now however i wish i had the 6AT from the MDX in there. I really wish the RDX had 6AT
Old 01-04-2011, 04:44 PM
Suzuka Master

Received 609 Likes on 493 Posts
^^ there is no performance loss... because it is venting to the atmosphere the turbo is able to spool much faster and it has cut back on the lag that I noticed prior to install... I did at first notice a decrease in mpg... only because I loved getting off the gas every two seconds to hear the thing... but now that im back to regular driving im averaging 19.1 city
No performance loss or gain. If the car doesn't go faster, what is the point. SAVE YOUR MONEY!
Old 01-07-2011, 01:38 PM
2008 NBP

Originally Posted by Mr Marco
No performance loss or gain. If the car doesn't go faster, what is the point. SAVE YOUR MONEY!
what is the point of modding any street car? since you cant go over the speed limit without it being legal, your not racing especially in the RDX... We mod cars because we are car people and love tinkering... we love the feel and the smells and the sounds that anything automotive make... we mod thing because it makes our vehicles unique... why are you on here? and it does do something though it may not be a jump in HP or TQ which it may be I havent dyno'd the car... but it cuts compressor surge, which helps in lag and MPG
Old 01-07-2011, 01:51 PM
Suzuka Master

Received 609 Likes on 493 Posts
^You took it the wrong way...I would love to have that mod! It sounds really cool, and it looks like any easy install. I just don't like the idea of spending money on something that doesn't make my car go faster or corner better. Part of the issue for me is my income is so small. Every dollar I spend needs to be carefully balanced between practical and fun. Our monthly household insurance bill (home/car) is $280, so the decision to buy something unnecessary (BOV, springs, tint) needs to be carefully considered.
So, from a practical standpoint this is a waste of money, because it wouldn’t have kept me from being cut off by that Civic in traffic yesterday.
Old 01-07-2011, 03:26 PM
StayAtHomeDad

Received 32 Likes on 28 Posts
Just watched the video, it sounds really nice.....
Old 01-08-2011, 11:06 AM
2008 NBP

Originally Posted by Mr Marco
^You took it the wrong way...I would love to have that mod! It sounds really cool, and it looks like any easy install. I just don't like the idea of spending money on something that doesn't make my car go faster or corner better. Part of the issue for me is my income is so small. Every dollar I spend needs to be carefully balanced between practical and fun. Our monthly household insurance bill (home/car) is $280, so the decision to buy something unnecessary (BOV, springs, tint) needs to be carefully considered.
So, from a practical standpoint this is a waste of money, because it wouldn’t have kept me from being cut off by that Civic in traffic yesterday.
^^ I got it my bad... yeah its just a nice easy cosmetic and audible mod...
Old 01-09-2011, 09:55 AM
6th Gear

any word from your fabricator about being able to make multiple base plates so some of us can be set apart from the 'soccer mom rdx'? hahaha
Old 01-09-2011, 02:09 PM
PM me if you need a reply

Received 46 Likes on 37 Posts
Always nice to see mods..

An intake would give the same sound effect plus power correct? I'm getting a similar blow-off sound from my K&N although it might slightly differ as you can hear it venting back into the intake instead of into the atmosphere.

I noticed your BOV was facing forward.. would 80mph winds (from going 80mph on the highway) have any effects by blowing into the outlet?
Old 01-10-2011, 12:22 AM
Instructor

Sounds pretty good! I like that it's not too noticeable when all the windows are up and under normal driving conditions.
Old 01-10-2011, 06:23 AM
2008 Acura RDX

Received 58 Likes on 48 Posts
Originally Posted by InfamousJamous
Always nice to see mods..

An intake would give the same sound effect plus power correct? I'm getting a similar blow-off sound from my K&N although it might slightly differ as you can hear it venting back into the intake instead of into the atmosphere.
^^ This!
Old 01-12-2011, 12:02 PM
Pro

Originally Posted by 1abSi
any word from your fabricator about being able to make multiple base plates so some of us can be set apart from the 'soccer mom rdx'? hahaha

I believe the OP has something in the works for us.
Old 01-19-2011, 09:23 PM
CR

Received 16 Likes on 15 Posts
Do you have a intake in those vids?

Quick Reply: RDX Hybrid BOV