RDX and valley hitch for bike rack

Search this Thread

Old 03-09-2009, 08:27 AM
Cruisin'

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
RDX and valley hitch for bike rack

seems like most have gone with the hidden hitch for mounting a bicycle rack, and usually end up adding the hitch extender, expecially when using a rack that holds the bike by its tires rather than the frame.

has anyone tried the valley hitch on an RDX? did you need a hitch extender? which bike rack did you pair it up with?

thanks for any replies.

FEGNOMASHIC
Old 03-09-2009, 11:43 AM
Pro

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
For what it's worth I have the Hidden Hitch and do not need a hitch extender. I have the Thule 954 Ridgeline which fits perfectly. I actually add just a little masking tape to the bumper where the grey lever can sometimes hit the bumper.
Old 04-16-2009, 03:29 PM
Cruisin'

I decided to go with the Valley hitch which has a 2" hitch opening, along with a Saris Thelma 2 rack.

While it may not be quite as hidden as the other hitch options, I think it looks good with its unique tubular design.

The bike rack can be placed in the upright position with plenty of clearance from the rear of the vehicle, with no hitch extender necessary.

The rack is relatively lightweight, and seems very secure. It comes with a Saris "hitch tite" with is apparently their version of an anti-rattle device, and appears to work fine.

Pictures to be posted soon.
Old 05-25-2009, 07:10 PM
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Valley Hitch for RDX

I just installed a Valley Hitch (eTrailer.com part # V82112). I didn't want to get the Hidden Hitch because I thought I'd need an extension. It was pretty easy to install, even though I didn't have a torque wrench or lift. It was a little tight down there trying to tighten the bolts with a ratchet, but not hard at all.

I ordered a Thule T2 bike rack for this hitch, though not from eTrailer.com. I think this was a smart move because I ordered the Thule Snug-Tite hitch lock and they threw the lock, keys, and washers in the box without packaging them. I didn't receive the threaded pin so I think they either forgot or it slipped out somehow. Lame!
Old 06-10-2009, 12:14 AM
10th Gear

Specific wheel-mounted hitch racks supported by Valley Hitch

I already had a hitch identical to the hidden hitch installed on my RDX and I'm finding that I'm very limited on which wheel-mounted (or tray-style) bike racks that I can use without a hitch extender. So far only the Saris Cycle-On, which I find to be too bulky and lacking a tilt-down feature. The Thule T2 or the Softride Versa are more in line with what I'm looking to use. Does anyone know if the Valley Hitch would allow for the use of those racks? One of the posts gives the impression that the T2 works but it's not clear. Thanks for any feedback that you could give. This has been a frustrating search.
Old 06-10-2009, 10:38 AM
Cruisin'

Originally Posted by frankrondaniel
I already had a hitch identical to the hidden hitch installed on my RDX and I'm finding that I'm very limited on which wheel-mounted (or tray-style) bike racks that I can use without a hitch extender. So far only the Saris Cycle-On, which I find to be too bulky and lacking a tilt-down feature. The Thule T2 or the Softride Versa are more in line with what I'm looking to use. Does anyone know if the Valley Hitch would allow for the use of those racks? One of the posts gives the impression that the T2 works but it's not clear. Thanks for any feedback that you could give. This has been a frustrating search.
i have the 2" valley hitch and i use the saris thelma 2. i use it for road bikes and mountain bikes. no extender is needed, and i have plenty of clearance when i fold the empty rack into the upright position.
Old 06-10-2009, 10:52 AM
10th Gear

Originally Posted by fegnomashic
i have the 2" valley hitch and i use the saris thelma 2. i use it for road bikes and mountain bikes. no extender is needed, and i have plenty of clearance when i fold the empty rack into the upright position.
Thanks fegnomashic for your reply regarding the Thelma. So it sounds like the Valley 2" does provide for more clearance than Hidden Hitch types. I'm thinking that i'll be better off in the long run by changing over to the Valley.
Old 06-10-2009, 11:08 AM
Cruisin'

Thanks fegnomashic for your reply regarding the Thelma. So it sounds like the Valley 2" does provide for more clearance than Hidden Hitch types. I'm thinking that i'll be better off in the long run by changing over to the Valley.
based on photos i thought it looked like the valley hitch should stick out a bit further than the hidden hitch.

i've only tried the saris thelma 2 with it, so i don't know if that rack extends any further than others. but this combo seems to work well, no problems.
Old 06-10-2009, 02:51 PM
10th Gear

Originally Posted by fegnomashic
based on photos i thought it looked like the valley hitch should stick out a bit further than the hidden hitch.

i've only tried the saris thelma 2 with it, so i don't know if that rack extends any further than others. but this combo seems to work well, no problems.
The photos on etrailer.com definitely make it looks like the hitch is almost flush with the bumper. I wish I had seen this before ordering my other hitch. I took the chance and ordered the Valley 2" from etrailer. My current 1-1/4" Thule Double-Track rack has a 2" adapter, so I'll try that first before buying another rack. I'll post my results.
Old 06-22-2009, 08:57 PM
10th Gear

Installed the Valley hitch, works great.

The 2" Valley hitch ends up being much less recessed than the Hidden Hitch type of hitch that it replaced. I am able to use my Thule Double Track without difficulty, though the 2" adapter that comes with the hitch allows some vertical movement that doesn't occur when I use it with the 1 1/4" hitch on my TL.
Old 06-22-2009, 09:10 PM
Chapter Leader (South Florida Region)

Received 19,994 Likes on 14,502 Posts
I have a 3G TL with a hidden hitch that I retro'd from my RSX. It's a bit frankentstein'd but it works and holds my 4 bike rack Yakima without issue.
Old 06-29-2009, 07:16 PM
Racer

Just ordered the Valley Class III and the SportRack2 from Etrailer.
Old 06-29-2009, 07:34 PM
10th Gear

1Up USA Quik-Rack and Valley Hitch

To let folks know about another hitch rack that'll work with the Valley Hitch, I've found that the 1Up USA Quik-Rack fits great. I can insert the rack's "stinger" fully into the hitch and still fold it up to the complete upright and stowed position. I haven't tried the rack yet (I will over the 4th) but it seems like it's built great and I anticipate that it'll work well. Check it out at www.1upusa.com.
Old 07-24-2009, 09:07 PM
Cruisin'

Thanks for the input guys, my Valley hitch came in today and I'll be installing it tomorrow!
-Joshua
Old 08-11-2009, 08:18 AM
10th Gear

1Up USA Quik-Rack and Valley Hitch - update

So far I love the 1UpUSA rack. Installation is literally in seconds. Expandable from 1-4 trays. I like the fact that I can only mount a single tray when I'm traveling alone and quickly add additional trays as needed. Holds the bikes very securely. Only drawback I can see is that it's pricey. But it appears to be amazingly well made - aluminum. It should last for quite a while. Check out their website for more information.
Old 09-01-2010, 02:22 PM
Instructor

Bringing this back from a year ago...but does anyone have pictures of the valley hitch installed? I looks like (from the picture on etrailer) that the hitch extends down farther than the others (V-shape rather than flat bar on the hidden hitch and draw tite). Can anyone verify?
Old 09-01-2010, 10:21 PM
Instructor

Sorry...found it:

https://acurazine.com/forums/showpos...1&postcount=97

Looks like the part number for the Valley Class III hitch (for 2007 RDX) on etrailer has changed to V82113 instead of V82112. They also don't have photos anymore...but if you look up the part # V82112, there are photos of it installed on an RDX. There's also a YouTube video from etrailer on how to install the RDX hitch.

Last edited by VietNinjaJ30A1; 09-01-2010 at 10:24 PM.
Old 09-02-2010, 04:19 PM
Cruisin'

So far I love the 1UpUSA rack. Installation is literally in seconds. Expandable from 1-4 trays. I like the fact that I can only mount a single tray when I'm traveling alone and quickly add additional trays as needed. Holds the bikes very securely. Only drawback I can see is that it's pricey. But it appears to be amazingly well made - aluminum. It should last for quite a while. Check out their website for more information.
Do you need any other accessories from the Hitch to mount the Valley Hitch to the 1UpUSA rack? Looking to order this combo ... just wondering if you need anything else as recommended by etrailer.com:

Ball Mount 2-3/4" Rise or 4" Drop, 6,000 lbs $20.63

Pin and Clip For Class III, IV and V Trailer Hitch Receiver $4.99

Hitch Ball with 2" Diameter and Medium Shank, 6,000 lbs GTW - Chrome $8.49

Rubber Tube Cover for 2" Trailer Hitch Receivers $8.95

Thule Snug Tite Hitch Lock and Anti-Rattle Device $44.95