Viper 5901 remote starter + Canmax400DEI bypass module

Search this Thread

Old 11-22-2009, 09:36 PM
Cruisin'

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Viper 5901 remote starter + Canmax400DEI bypass module

Hi everyone,

I just got the above installed on my 07 RDX this weekend at local best buy. I got the canmax400DEI because it supposedly works very well with Viper 5901, and is compatible with RDX according to their website. I wish they had indicated on their compatibility chart that it's not 100% compatible with RDX (they did indicate this problem in the manual, which I did not check ahead of time because i wasn't planning to do the install myself). Apparently with canmax400DEI/canmax400, the door lock will not work after the engine has been started by the remote. If i press the unlock button on the remote, all it does is disarm the alarm so that when I use my key fob to unlock the door the alarm will not go off. I cannot even use the key fob to remote unlock the door - have to physically insert the key to unlock them.

Does anyone have experience with Viper remote starters? Would appreciate it if you could share your experience in terms of the type of module you use and how much the Viper 5901/5902's function you are able to utilize with the module. If you have experience with canmax400DEI or canmax400, please let me know if there is any way around the door unlock problem. Thanks!

B
Old 11-23-2009, 08:06 PM
Instructor

Received 9 Likes on 5 Posts
Baboola I sent you the message,
I think the best buy wired wrong way.. no sure what they did.
Driver unlock gray wire 5 wires harness plug located driver kick panal
Old 11-23-2009, 08:28 PM
Instructor

Lock blue wire .
5901 and 5902 has little diff. wires lay out . i'm looking thru 5901 install manual.
You can Pm me e-mail adderess so I can send you pdf files DirectWire 2.0 Vehicle information for 2007 RDX.
I'm ASE mechanic I installed 5902 myself. took me about 3 hours.
Ask best buy did they used the same program or something else.
Plus I used DEI PKH 34 key bypass module.
Good Luck
Old 11-24-2009, 07:37 PM
Cruisin'

so I called Directed Tech Support today and was told to connect wire-to-wire for the lock/unlock to work like they should. that's like telling me to walk to my TV to turn it on after i bought a universal remote!

apparently the lock/unlock problem is a known issue for rdx/csx/civic/cr-v , but they did not make this clear on their website (you have to read the install manual to find the "catch", but obviously i did not read it because I was planning to have an installer do the job for me). In fact, their compatibility wizard specifically indicated that canmax400dei is compatible with rdx. If i had known, I would've gotten another module that actually works at a lower cost. I feel rather cheated by Directed's false advertisement. I hope other rdx owners will not fall for the same trap as I did.

they might come up with a firmware update that will address the issue at a later time, but god knows how long that's going to take. I wonder if I should pursue legal action. thoughts, anyone?
Old 12-02-2009, 08:58 PM
Race Director

Received 1,795 Likes on 1,348 Posts
Not sure if this will be much help to you, but I have the clifford matrix 50.7X (exact same as 5901) with the canmax400dei installed (DIY) in my 2004TL MT. The lock/unlock and alarm all work fine, but I can't get the remote start to work. I'm not sure how similar the rdx and tl are, but the canmax seems to handle the door locks with no problems. I used D2D wiring instructions.

Now if anyone has any tips for why the remote start won't work, please let me know. FYI, I do have the e-brake wired correctly. The canmax instructions indicate that the brake pedal position is handled through the b-can bus and does not need to be wired, however, the matrix instructions say the brake pedal sensor position switch wire needs to be tapped on an MT. I tried it both ways and still no luck with remote start. I get the 7 flashes error message indicating a remote start error. I do have a tach sense wire from the coil through the firewall and I did perform the tach learn procedure. I have the latest firmware flashed to the canmax and I programmed the matrix using a bitwriter. MT mode is enabled via the bitwriter. I'm stumped. Anyone have any ideas?
Old 12-03-2009, 06:55 PM
Instructor

Get the Viper 5902. I have no issue what so ever. Just work great.
I also Put Audio Glass Break Sensor and Invisibeam Field Disturbance Sensor.

Old 12-03-2009, 07:45 PM
Cruisin'

Originally Posted by nfnsquared
I'm not sure how similar the rdx and tl are, but the canmax seems to handle the door locks with no problems. I used D2D wiring instructions.
The Canmax is designed to work well with 04 TL, but in the installation manual it mentioned that once the engine is remotely started, the door lock will not work. I was hoping for a work-around. I just feel cheated by Directed. Because I did not install it myself, i did not read the installation manual ahead of time and simply believed their compatibility wizard.

Sorry for the ignorance, but what does D2D mean? wire to wire connection?
Old 12-03-2009, 09:08 PM
Race Director

Received 1,795 Likes on 1,348 Posts
D2D is data to data: using the bus to control items instead of direct wiring.

I'm sorry you're having problems, but I doubt you have a case against DEI as the Canmax 400dei manual clearly indicates the door lock issue on the RDX, Civic, CSX, and CRV.

There are other door lock/bypass kits out there that work just as well with the 5901 and which may not have the same problem.

I'd recommend posting your problem over at the12volt.com's car security forum and do a search for "RDX". There is one RDX thread that has the 5901. I'd post a question in that thread and see what they used. If no luck there, post a general question in the main forum. There's a pretty large base of remote start smart people over there. Good luck!

FYI, I figured out my problem: It was the clutch.

I assumed the pedal position was monitored by B-can and that the brain was programmed to send a signal to the B-can simulating a depressed clutch during the remote start process. This may still be true about the brain, however as I just learned, the TL clutch interlock switch is just a simple ground to the starter cut out relay coil and not a B-can signal.

So, all you need to do is wire pin 3 (violet wire, 200mA negative starter output) of the 5-pin remote start aux output harness to the wire going from the clutch interlock switch to the starter cutout relay coil.