Neo iPod Adapter Review

Search this Thread

Old 03-28-2007, 09:48 PM
Three Wheelin'

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Originally Posted by Chas2
How about an RL?

By the way, have you ever come across a place called PTuning in Manassas? I saw they have an AWD dyno and can do all sorts of mods.
I have the PDF instructions for installing a musiclink in a 2006 RL so that should be a piece of cake.

I have heard of PTuning. Heard nothing but bad things about them too. If you want any performance mods or installations done in the NoVA the best place to go is Curry Auto Service. They have multiple locations in the area. I personally have used the chantilly location on my RSX-S.
Old 04-06-2007, 10:59 AM
Instructor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by robbhamilton
I purchased the USA SPEC unit via amazon.com and installed it last night. It appears to function identically to what sasair describes.

The thing that struck me was the sound quality. There is no comparison between the auxiliary adapter and the auxiliary input on the front of the head unit. If you use an ipod as your primary audio source, I highly recommend "splurging" on the adapter.
Is USA SPEC adapter the same product as Neo? Amazon is selling it for $139, I'm thinking of getting it.
Old 05-02-2007, 08:01 PM
WayTooManyAcuras

Received 505 Likes on 231 Posts
I'm late to the "iPod" game, but I just got an 80Gb unit and am loading it up. After reading through this and a few other threads, I am interested in checking out the NEO unit on sassir's recommendation.

I checked the NEO site and found this, which was interesting:

Apr. 15th, 2007
The Acura/Honda iPod MusicLink from Honda of America has been pulled out of the dealerships for its problems. Our Neo ProLink PODHONR3V2Y is NOW the Unofficial Replacement. It can be found in the Parts Dept of many dealerships around the country. If your Dealership isn't offering it, please let them know they should be. You can also order direct off our site.
So, I checked out the page for the RDX, and saw this!!!

iPod Honda Acura kit w/ TEXT on radio
PODHONR3V1

THIS KIT IS TEMPORARILY UNAVAILABLE AS WE WORK THROUGH THE BUGS. FEEL FREE TO PURCHASE OUR PODHONR3V2Y AS IT IS BUG FREE AND WILL WORK FLAWLESSLY WITH YOUR CAR. THE PODHONR3V2Y DOES NOT DISPLAY TEXT...
What a mess? I think I will wait this all out for a month or so. It would be nice to have the text capability, and for $200 I would rather wait until they get it fixed.
Old 05-02-2007, 09:39 PM
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Just plug your ipod into the AUX input jack. MusicLink does not interest me since you can't see the song titles on the nav system screen.

Better yet, if you copy your MP3s to CD-Rs, you can see the song and album titles on the RDX screen. And if someone breaks into my car and steals my CD-Rs, I will be much less upset than if they stole my ipod.
Old 05-06-2007, 08:52 AM
10th Gear

How are the control features when using the Neo? Is the adaptor responsive when switching up and down a song list or do you have to wait a few seconds? I am hoping it is as fast as if I was changing songs directly on my ipod. Just wait unitl IPhone is released this will turn everything upside down. Thanks for all the infor and a great post.
Old 05-06-2007, 10:24 PM
Racer

Originally Posted by oblio98
I'm late to the "iPod" game, but I just got an 80Gb unit and am loading it up. After reading through this and a few other threads, I am interested in checking out the NEO unit on sassir's recommendation.

I checked the NEO site and found this, which was interesting:

So, I checked out the page for the RDX, and saw this!!!

What a mess? I think I will wait this all out for a month or so. It would be nice to have the text capability, and for $200 I would rather wait until they get it fixed.
Is this all true?
Old 05-07-2007, 12:33 AM
Advanced

Just for FYI:

The sound from the audio jack is not as high quality as that which comes from the connection at the bottom of the iPod. So if you care about the best sound, the AUX input jack approach is not your best bet.
Old 05-07-2007, 10:08 PM
07 RDX - Royal Blue/Ebony

Originally Posted by rpeete
Just for FYI:

The sound from the audio jack is not as high quality as that which comes from the connection at the bottom of the iPod. So if you care about the best sound, the AUX input jack approach is not your best bet.

Actually, the aux-in jack is fine if you feed it a good quality source. If you go from the iPod dock connector to the aux-in on the RDX radio, you will get the best possible sound quality out of the iPod going into the radio. It's when going from the iPod's headphone jack to the aux-in that the quality/level suffers. When using aux-in, a cable like this is the best way to go:

They are $17 here: http://www.cablestogo.com/product.as...2033&sku=35508
Old 05-08-2007, 02:23 AM
Advanced

Good point! I was referring to the straight phono connector solution, not the special adapter you mentioned....
Old 05-13-2007, 02:37 PM
Cruisin'

My previous car had an Alpine and their iPod connector, and I always assumed using the dock and going straight to the deck was optimal. But using the headphone jack and AUX jack in my RDX has really surprised me with how good it sounds. Are people saying it sounds even better using the dock and connecting via Musiclink (or another direct link)? I would think it might given my previous bias, but the AUX/headphone setup sounds so good it's hard to imagine.
Old 05-14-2007, 02:50 PM
Former 07 RDX Tech owner

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts
I think it depends on the car. The headphone jack doesn't necessarily produce the best output level for input into a stereo system. If you are trying to use a cassette adapter, for instance, you have to set the volume level of the headphone jack to a very narrow range to get a decent sound as the cassette heads weren't necessarily designed for the purpose.

It may be that the AUX jack is treated with special care inside the head unit as it is intended to be attached to headphone jacks on many portable players. That input may be designed to deal reasonably with a wide variety of levels unlike most other inputs so it may deal with the headphone out on an iPod better than most arrangements.

But, when you get down to it, the fewer and simpler amplifiers you go through the better. The headphone jack has an amplifier that can handle volume control at least whereas the line out amplifier in the dock connector simply matches the standard line out specs of typical audio equipment so it is likely much simpler and introduces less noise.
Old 05-18-2007, 10:53 PM
07 RDX - Royal Blue/Ebony

Originally Posted by buchananmb
My previous car had an Alpine and their iPod connector, and I always assumed using the dock and going straight to the deck was optimal. But using the headphone jack and AUX jack in my RDX has really surprised me with how good it sounds. Are people saying it sounds even better using the dock and connecting via Musiclink (or another direct link)? I would think it might given my previous bias, but the AUX/headphone setup sounds so good it's hard to imagine.

The dock has a line-level out, which is a lot louder than headphone-level, and it's cleaner too. I am sure you have to crank the iPod volume up pretty high if you're using the headphone out, and even then it's going to be lower than the line-level out.

Get the cable I linked to above and go from the iPod dock connector into the radio's aux in. You don't need a MusicLink/Neo to use the dock connector.
Old 05-19-2007, 04:48 PM
Cruisin'

thanks c_hunter. that helps me understand. I do have the volume on the ipod all the way up.
Old 08-12-2007, 08:04 AM
RDX Tech - Bronze/Ebony

I just ordered the USA Spec PA11-HON2y from Crutchfield for $129.99.

See:

Crutchfield

I used coupon code "3A706" from Upromise for $20 off of the $149.99 price.
Old 08-12-2007, 08:31 AM
Advanced

Received 10 Likes on 5 Posts
pmaggan:
just a heads up on the usa spec.. I just installed the same one in my daughters '07 accord.
The instructions say pull the radio out.. and it looks like you would remove the harness connector in the back, plug in the usa spec connector, and connect the harness to the second connector of the usa spec. BUT, at least on the Accord radio, that is not the way it is done. There is an additional connector on the BOTTOM of the radio, unused in her car, that the usa spec goes in to. The instructions don't note that, and I thought they had sent the wrong cord since it did not fit the connectors on the back. So in her case, removal of the radio was not necessary to access the bottom. Now the RDX might be totally different, but since the usa spec is the same, it might be a similar deal. It does work fine.
Old 08-12-2007, 09:09 AM
RDX Tech - Bronze/Ebony

Originally Posted by rdxny
pmaggan:
just a heads up on the usa spec.. I just installed the same one in my daughters '07 accord.
The instructions say pull the radio out.. and it looks like you would remove the harness connector in the back, plug in the usa spec connector, and connect the harness to the second connector of the usa spec. BUT, at least on the Accord radio, that is not the way it is done. There is an additional connector on the BOTTOM of the radio, unused in her car, that the usa spec goes in to. The instructions don't note that, and I thought they had sent the wrong cord since it did not fit the connectors on the back. So in her case, removal of the radio was not necessary to access the bottom. Now the RDX might be totally different, but since the usa spec is the same, it might be a similar deal. It does work fine.
Just bought a '07 Accord for my sister and looked at installing this unit in her car. You are correct that the Honda radio does not need to come out. For the Acura, however, I believe the radio does have to come out. The Honda radio is essentially built into the navigation unit in my sister's car and all the connectors are on the bottom. Looking at the Acura Musiclink instructions for the RDX seem to show that the connectors are on the back of the radio/CD Changer unit.

If anybody else has any install tips, they would be much appreciated. If not, I'll attempt the install next weekend.

Here's the Accord install I found:

Accord Install
Old 08-26-2007, 12:03 PM
RDX Tech - Bronze/Ebony

I got my USA Spec unit installed yesterday. I decided to install such that I would have physical access to the Ipod, so I drilled a hole in the little compartment next to the seat heater switch and have the Ipod connector sitting in there. I can pull it out about 18 inches and then push it back in when I am done. I usually have my Ipod in the cupholder.

I mounted the USA Spec unit in the lower half section of the center consle, just like pittpanther did in his pictures. I then ran the Ipod connector cable back to the "little compartment" next to the seat heater switch.
Old 10-12-2007, 08:26 AM
10th Gear

Alternative to Neo

I am disappointed the Musiclink is not available, but interested in the Neo product. My wife has a 04 MDX and uses the Griffin TuneFlex Aux with cassette adapter and I think it works great with the RDX's AUX input feature. The docking cradle connects to the cigarette lighter and 3.5mm plugs from the dock to the AUX input. The only problem is not able to use my radar detector. The passport radar was a pain anyway since the power cord was annoyingly in the way of the console display features and windshield placement was awkward. I may upgrade the Passport radar for a wireless one.

http://www.griffintechnology.com/products/tuneflexaux/
Old 01-26-2008, 08:44 AM
10th Gear

Neo iPod adapter Installation question

The Musiclink installation PDF mentioned above shows a bus cable (sold separately) that looks like a spliter. Yet the Neo adapter does not appear to use a splitter. I have the NAV headunit. Is there still a emply slot in the back to plug the Neo adapter into. If so then why didn'y Acura use that slot for their Musiclink adapter.
Old 01-31-2008, 08:22 AM
10th Gear

Neo iPod Adapter and iPhone

Has anyone tried the Neo iPod adapter with an iPhone? If so how well does it work? I'm particularly concerned about how it handles phone calls. I would imagine there might be some issues with handoff from the connector when playing music through the speakers to bluetooth for phone calls. Has anyone tried this?
Old 01-31-2008, 02:33 PM
Racer

Originally Posted by lederermc
The Musiclink installation PDF mentioned above shows a bus cable (sold separately) that looks like a spliter. Yet the Neo adapter does not appear to use a splitter. I have the NAV headunit. Is there still a emply slot in the back to plug the Neo adapter into. If so then why didn'y Acura use that slot for their Musiclink adapter.
There isn't a open slot, which is why all Navi cars require a Y-splitter. Neo does have a Y-cable available.
Old 01-31-2008, 02:34 PM
Racer

Originally Posted by zosomagnus
Has anyone tried the Neo iPod adapter with an iPhone? If so how well does it work? I'm particularly concerned about how it handles phone calls. I would imagine there might be some issues with handoff from the connector when playing music through the speakers to bluetooth for phone calls. Has anyone tried this?
It's not a problem. The car will manage everything efficiently.
Old 06-22-2008, 12:09 AM
Cruisin'

Neo Ipod

Will i be able to view the songs name while playing my ipod?
Old 06-22-2008, 10:21 AM
Cruisin'

Originally Posted by Ed10
Will i be able to view the songs name while playing my ipod?
only if you are willing to disconnect the SAT radio.
Old 08-14-2008, 09:51 PM
RDX Tech - Bronze/Ebony

Just got a new iPhone 3G and noticed that my USA Spec Ipod interface will NOT charge the phone. Apparently they have a new cable coming out soon. See their website for more details:

USA Spec 3G iPhone Note
Old 08-24-2008, 07:59 AM
Licensed Driver

Just got the NEO IPOD Adapter for my 2008 RDX w/tech. The install took about 15 minutes from start to finish and I ended bringing the box out to the center console storage like Pittpanther. I'm generally pleased with the install. My new iPhone 3G sounds awesome!

Couple issues... The NEO Adapter won't charge the phone (I get a message on the phone stating it's not compatible or something). Also, you can't use the "Advanced" settings on the NEO with iPhone, or 3rd generation iPods. All that means is you have to control the playlists from the iPod itself.

Overall, very easy install and clean sound with excellent ability to control tracks from the iPhone or steering wheel.
Old 08-24-2008, 08:05 AM
Licensed Driver

Acura's IPOD Interface...

Just took my RDX into the dealership for installation of accessories. They gave me a 2009 TSX as a loaner.

The TSX had a USB adapter in the center console storage for an iPod. I hooked up my iPhone 3G to it. Low and behold, not only did it charge the phone, but it played the music and allowed full control of tracks (with text displayed) from the audio menu on the Navi screen.

I guess this whole discussion of aftermarket adapters will be a moot point soon.

Too bad they didn't have it for our cars!
Old 08-24-2008, 11:12 AM
Intermediate

is there anything similar to this but a usb abapter??
Old 10-13-2008, 07:01 PM
Intermediate

Neo adapter work with FM after connection?

I understand Neo connects through the Acura radio. Just a silly question, would this take out the function for FM?

or a simplier question.

Will the addition of Neo takes out any factory function of the RDX at all??

Thanks!!!
Old 11-02-2008, 06:31 AM
10th Gear

NEW Neo 3G cable for iPhone

Originally Posted by Axygos
Just got the NEO IPOD Adapter for my 2008 RDX w/tech. The install took about 15 minutes from start to finish and I ended bringing the box out to the center console storage like Pittpanther. I'm generally pleased with the install. My new iPhone 3G sounds awesome!

Couple issues... The NEO Adapter won't charge the phone (I get a message on the phone stating it's not compatible or something). Also, you can't use the "Advanced" settings on the NEO with iPhone, or 3rd generation iPods. All that means is you have to control the playlists from the iPod itself.

Overall, very easy install and clean sound with excellent ability to control tracks from the iPhone or steering wheel.
I just ordered the new 3G cable from Neo. It was $49 and fits in the existing Neo adapter. This will correct the charging issue for the iPhone from the existing cable. Hooray!
Old 11-02-2008, 06:35 AM
10th Gear

Originally Posted by jamezckf
I understand Neo connects through the Acura radio. Just a silly question, would this take out the function for FM?

or a simplier question.

Will the addition of Neo takes out any factory function of the RDX at all??

Thanks!!!
No. The Neo will not effect your existing stereo or navigation functions. Its quite simple and easy to install.
Old 06-21-2009, 06:28 PM
Instructor

Received 8 Likes on 5 Posts
Hey guys, I got the PX AMG adapter for the ipod, but I am having a REALLY tough time removing the silver trim on the driver's side. I pulled out the one on the passenger side, but the driver's side isn't coming out and I'm afraid to break it. I am one of the least skilled people in the world when it comes to manual labor, and the Acura manual just says "remove it" without giving ANY details on how to do that. I did the glovebox, the right side trim, the shifter trim, but now I'm stuck. Could anyone please help!!!! Thanks.
Old 06-21-2009, 11:28 PM
Cruisin'

I feel your pain brother. It does pop off, but harder than the passenger side. Pull from the back side, up on the backside and back on the front aspect. If you need a tool, use only a nylon wedge. I think one came with the kit. I bet you won't break it, but no guarantees from me. Each time out it is easier.

With regard to the clips from the stereo, there is a tab to depress on the harness. Look at the harness for a general sense.

I'd be glad to help further, just repost.
Old 06-22-2009, 11:52 PM
Instructor

Received 8 Likes on 5 Posts
Originally Posted by PdxRdx
I feel your pain brother. It does pop off, but harder than the passenger side. Pull from the back side, up on the backside and back on the front aspect. If you need a tool, use only a nylon wedge. I think one came with the kit. I bet you won't break it, but no guarantees from me. Each time out it is easier.

With regard to the clips from the stereo, there is a tab to depress on the harness. Look at the harness for a general sense.

I'd be glad to help further, just repost.
It did give me a lot of pain and it took 4 hours because I didn't have a 10 mm socket and had to drive to Target with the center console partially taken apart to get one, but I got it all working now. The software part was ridicilously easy, it's the physical stuff that hurt my fingers a lot and caused me physical and mental pain.