ELS = No Bass?

Search this Thread

Old 02-07-2007, 05:00 PM
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
ELS = No Bass?

Is it just me(my system) or does our surround sound lacks in bass department?
I do think ELS sounds great except I feel that bass could be a little bit louder. Maybe it's just me coming from a smaller car with subs.
When I was listening to the demo DVD-A track with separated sounds from speakers, I thought it was barely noticeable. I've tried it with maxed out settings for bass and subwoofer, but it did not make much of a difference.
Anyone's stock ELS have bass that shakes the rearview mirror?
Old 02-07-2007, 05:04 PM
Three Wheelin'

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Originally Posted by buri73
Is it just me(my system) or does our surround sound lacks in bass department?
I do think ELS sounds great except I feel that bass could be a little bit louder. Maybe it's just me coming from a smaller car with subs.
When I was listening to the demo DVD-A track with separated sounds from speakers, I thought it was barely noticeable. I've tried it with maxed out settings for bass and subwoofer, but it did not make much of a difference.
Anyone's stock ELS have bass that shakes the rearview mirror?
Mine has plenty of bass for my tastes and yes it does shake the mirrors. I don't even have my bass turned up all the way as I don't think it sounds very realistic when it is turned up all the way. When turned up all the way, the bass drowns out the rest of the sounds. For some people though, the bass makes the system. I'm just not one of those people.

Bass is highly overrated IMO.
Old 02-08-2007, 03:40 PM
Instructor

I have some CDs where the bass is overpowering at volume of 10, but most others as well as my DVD-As where the bass is weak. FM is weak and XM is sometimes fine and other times weak.

My prior vehicle also had a sub and the bass overall was better. I had an equalizer/amp combo and could tune it.

What I think is going on with the ELS system is that the cross-over is set to low, thus not allowing higher frequencies to go to the sub compared to my old setup and possibly yours as well.

Don't think there is anything we can do about it if this is the case.
Old 01-18-2008, 05:13 PM
8th Gear

I agree the bass needs help. I was thinking of switching it out to different woofer to see if it make s difference but not sure if that would void my warranty?
Old 03-06-2008, 07:05 PM
3rd Gear

The overall sound favors the high frequencies, but mid high, leading to a presence peak and unrealistic balances.

The low bass is distinctly lacking and the mid bass rolls off. I am not suggesting turning up artificially. I also want my sub to crossover low, to not exaggerate the male voices and such.

I borrowed my wife's new RDX tech and noted this, and have it kind of eq'ed out. However, there is no graphic eq and just bass and treble.

see
http://forum.audiogon.com/cgi-bin/fr...zDocw&4&5#Docw
Old 03-06-2008, 08:28 PM
Racer

The sound system is probably tuned for more subtle music. However, when I want to, I can make the car doors thump and rattle by turning bass setting up a little and putting on a bass-heavy CD.
Old 03-07-2008, 11:03 AM
3rd Gear

I suggest it's tuned for dvd's and movies, not music. I listened to 5 cd's of classical and vocals with orchestra, some with bass drum, some with a lot of tympani and stringed bass. All acoustic music. The lower registers are thinned and anemic sounding without bass boost and the highs are not extended but roll off and the middle upper presence stuff is exaggerated to make it sound clear. I found the answer searching this forum, in Oct 07, there is a thread entitled "weak els sound?" and one poster looked into the cheap speakers and weak amp which accounts for the sound.
Old 03-07-2008, 11:52 AM
big shot.

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts
in a stock system that includes a dedicated sub...you wont find aftermarket "sub" bass..what you will find is bass to accompany a well rounded sound. these subs tend to be more of a glorified low to low-mid speaker.
Old 05-05-2008, 05:35 PM
4th Gear

Try setting the system up for stereo playback (in stead of surround). It totally improves the bass.
Old 06-06-2008, 11:22 PM

BTW, a system is not good just because your rearview mirror shake. The music should be for yourself and not for the people in the next car. Its just ghetto IMO.
Old 06-07-2008, 09:08 AM
Instructor

Whether the audio needs more bass is purely subjective. It depends on your personal preferences and what kind of music you listen to. I listen to a good variety of music - rock, trance, rap, and I think that there is plenty of bass. No complaints here.