Cable for audio auxillary input?

Search this Thread

Old 01-12-2007, 10:38 PM
boostin'

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Cable for audio auxillary input?

I've got the non-tech audio, and was wondering what cable is needed to hook an iPod or other audio unit into the auxillary jack? Where is the cheapest place to pick one up?
THanks!!
Old 01-12-2007, 10:46 PM
rdxsteverino

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by RDX REX
I've got the non-tech audio, and was wondering what cable is needed to hook an iPod or other audio unit into the auxillary jack? Where is the cheapest place to pick one up?
THanks!!
It's an audio cable with mini stereo jacks at both ends. You can pick one up at Radio Shack or any place that handles audio. Really cheap - don't spend much on this cause it won't affect the audio quality.
Old 01-12-2007, 10:49 PM
Three Wheelin'

THanks!!
walmart has one for $5 made by belkin in the electronics section <good brand, good price. and like someone else said its a headphone jack at both ends
Old 01-12-2007, 11:00 PM
boostin'

Thanks!!
Old 01-13-2007, 12:01 AM
Racer

I bought a zip-linq 3.5mm jack - 3.5 mm jack. It is cable that retracts into a small package.
Old 01-13-2007, 09:29 AM
07 RDX - Royal Blue/Ebony

I would recommend getting a cable that has a dock connector on one end (for the iPod) and the 1/8" mini jack on the other end (for the RDX). This will allow you to tap into the component level audio-out on the iPod which is much cleaner, and has a higher "line level" than the iPod's headphone out. You will notice that the component line out sounds louder and better than what you get out of the headphone jack, and you won't need to fuss with the iPod's volume control at all. There are millions of iPod accessories out there, so search around. I gave URLs to some of these dock/audio connectors in another post on this forum. Some will also power/charge the iPod.

I have been using a dock/audio cable in my RDX for the last few days (picked up the RDX on Tuesday) and it sounds awesome.
Old 01-13-2007, 11:22 AM
boostin'

Originally Posted by c_hunter
I would recommend getting a cable that has a dock connector on one end (for the iPod) and the 1/8" mini jack on the other end (for the RDX). This will allow you to tap into the component level audio-out on the iPod which is much cleaner, and has a higher "line level" than the iPod's headphone out. You will notice that the component line out sounds louder and better than what you get out of the headphone jack, and you won't need to fuss with the iPod's volume control at all. There are millions of iPod accessories out there, so search around. I gave URLs to some of these dock/audio connectors in another post on this forum. Some will also power/charge the iPod.

I have been using a dock/audio cable in my RDX for the last few days (picked up the RDX on Tuesday) and it sounds awesome.
that sounds like a good idea, could you link me to the one you have or some others that are a good deal?
Would a place like Circuit City or Best Buy carry them?
Oh, just had a thought, I was thinking of using my dock connector for the car charger I have, then just using the cable for the headphone jack and running that into the auxillary jack, so how much would a dock connector cable cost that would also charge my ipod since I wouldn't be able to hook in my car charger anymore?
Thanks!
Old 01-13-2007, 11:25 AM
Base RDX - Carbon Pearl

$

THanks!!
I got one from dollar store and it works fine
Old 01-13-2007, 12:24 PM
Three Wheelin'

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
that sounds like a good idea, could you link me to the one you have or some others that are a good deal?
Would a place like Circuit City or Best Buy carry them?
Oh, just had a thought, I was thinking of using my dock connector for the car charger I have, then just using the cable for the headphone jack and running that into the auxillary jack, so how much would a dock connector cable cost that would also charge my ipod since I wouldn't be able to hook in my car charger anymore?
Thanks!
You're not gonna find a dock connector cable that plugs into the AUX jack and charges the ipod from the AUX jack if that is what you are asking. There are ipod chargers that plug in the cigarette lighter and also have a headphone jack that you can use. I think Belkin makes one, and I'm sure others do too. You can find it at best buy or anywhere online.

http://catalog.belkin.com/IWCatProdu...duct_Id=149006

Anyone install a Neo or USA spec or any other ipod adapter in a base model? I assume you can...
Old 01-13-2007, 12:30 PM
cab
10th Gear

Here's what I use...

I use this product from Monster which charges the iPod and provides an audio out port via the dock connector.

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00...e=UTF8&seller=
Old 01-13-2007, 12:36 PM
Three Wheelin'

That one's better than the Belkin cause it has a line level plug.....but it is also a bit more expensive too. I've used the belkin before, and it wasn't a problem because you never really have to adjust the volume on the belkin, but it is going through another amplifier so the sound quality can't be as clean as line level output.
Old 01-13-2007, 01:41 PM
boostin'

Oh ok I got it----thanks for all the info.!! This forum rules! I'm sure I'll have more questions about stuff the more and more I own the car!
Old 01-13-2007, 09:40 PM
boostin'

Well I picked up a 3.5mm male-male cord at Circuit City since I live across the street just to try it, and I'm happily impressed! It's a Belkin cord and it sounds like CD quality, so I'll probably stick w/ that for a while
Old 01-13-2007, 09:47 PM

Monster and Belkin are good for using the lighter socket. Here's a very basic one if you want to wire it in directly:

http://www.jazzyengineering.com/prod...1811f72af1833b
Old 01-13-2007, 10:40 PM
Got Boost?Rdx/Base/CGP

Well Im using my Auxilary PSP cable..the cable that u plug in onto another media player device to make it hear on your PSP speaker..but my cable ripped..CHEAP CHINA CABLE..>.<
Old 01-13-2007, 10:57 PM
Instructor

I have an ipod mini and got this

It charges the ipod, has a line out for better sound and pauses the ipod (and turns off after a minute) when I turn the car off. It also provides a stable place for my ipod so it's not moving around and keeps it available so I can also use all my ipod controls if necessary.

I think there's one available for nano too.

Picked mine up on ebay for $20.
Old 01-14-2007, 01:34 AM
Instructor

THanks!!

I bought mine on amazon for $20 bucks.
Monster MP3 MusicConnect Portable Audio Player to Car Stereo Cable (1/8" Mini to 1/8 Mini) 2 m. Cable (1/8 mini plug to 1/8 mini) (MPC MCON MINI-2M)

Someone posted what was an epiphany for me a while back.... since the RDX supports MP3 disks, I just burn disks mostly, for music. I use the bable for my audiobooks.
Old 01-14-2007, 01:38 AM
boostin'

Originally Posted by econman
Monster MP3 MusicConnect Portable Audio Player to Car Stereo Cable (1/8" Mini to 1/8 Mini) 2 m. Cable (1/8 mini plug to 1/8 mini) (MPC MCON MINI-2M)

Someone posted what was an epiphany for me a while back.... since the RDX supports MP3 disks, I just burn disks mostly, for music. I use the bable for my audiobooks.
how many songs on average can you get on like an 800 CD-R
Old 01-14-2007, 01:46 AM
Three Wheelin'

On average it would be 1MB per minute of music.

800MB = 800 Minutes = 200 4 minute songs
Old 01-14-2007, 01:47 AM
Instructor

how many songs on average can you get on like an 800 CD-R

At least 100. Less than 200. The music I like tends to have long song lengths.

I suspect the "average" file size for the 'average" song is around 5m. Hence, with some math..... ~< 160 songs
Old 01-14-2007, 01:58 AM
Instructor

What I dislike about what I bought above is it is too long. My Ipod fits perfectly in the little "cubby-hole" in back of the shifter, and only about 6" of cable is actually necessary.

Hence, I like this one. $10 "Interconnect" cable.

Old 01-14-2007, 01:58 AM
boostin'

Nice, I think I'll borrow that good idea!
Old 01-14-2007, 09:03 AM

What I dislike about what I bought above is it is too long. My Ipod fits perfectly in the little "cubby-hole" in back of the shifter, and only about 6" of cable is actually necessary.

Hence, I like this one. $10 "Interconnect" cable.

Where did you get that one? I am looking for a right-angle cable like that, which I will splice into my other cable with the iPod dock connector. The advantage to the right angle plug is that it's easier to connect to the RDX input jack on the radio face and route out of the way. Right now my cable has a regular 1/8" plug on the end, and awkwardly sticks out of the dash about 1.5". Hard to tuck that out of the way.

So far I have not found any right-angle cables locally, so I may have to order one (Crutchfield has one for about $7).
Old 01-14-2007, 09:08 AM
Three Wheelin'

Pretty expensive for a 6" cable... $14

http://www.headphone.com/products/ca...mini-cable.php
Old 01-14-2007, 09:16 AM

Originally Posted by sasair
Pretty expensive for a 6" cable... $14

http://www.headphone.com/products/ca...mini-cable.php
Yeah, especially if I am going to cut one end off!!
Old 01-14-2007, 09:23 AM
Three Wheelin'

well compared to the $400+ I've invested in MusicLink and Neo, any cable is pretty cheap!
Old 01-14-2007, 09:37 AM
Instructor

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

c_hunter, what dock connector are you using? like the one pictured by Digits above? I got a simple cable & it sucks. The volume & audio level via the cable is awful & so i just don't use my ipod in the RDX.
Old 01-14-2007, 10:10 AM

Originally Posted by jbinnyc
c_hunter, what dock connector are you using? like the one pictured by Digits above? I got a simple cable & it sucks. The volume & audio level via the cable is awful & so i just don't use my ipod in the RDX.
In the past, I bought 2-3 Belkin auto kits for our various cars. They have a 12V lighter plug and a line out which goes to the dock connector for the iPod. The Belkin happens to have a volume control on it to fine-tune the line level (with a small amp), but it's not needed in my experience (and as sasair noted, it probably adds noise). Thus.... for one car, I took the Belkin apart and modified it. I ditched the 12V lighter plug and hardwired it to my fuse panel. Then for another car, I ditched the 12V power all together. Then yet another car I bypassed the little amp so that I basically ended up with a 1/8" jack on a cable going into a little black box, with a white dock connector cable coming out the other end:

That's what I am using in the RDX now. I want to replace the headphone jack/cable with one that has a right-angle 1/8" plug so that it integrates into the dash better. Then I will tuck the cable in and have the white dock cable coming out the center console bin.
Old 01-14-2007, 10:52 AM
Got Boost?Rdx/Base/CGP

Originally Posted by Digits
I have an ipod mini and got this

It charges the ipod, has a line out for better sound and pauses the ipod (and turns off after a minute) when I turn the car off. It also provides a stable place for my ipod so it's not moving around and keeps it available so I can also use all my ipod controls if necessary.

I think there's one available for nano too.

Picked mine up on ebay for $20.
That Wont work for a Archos504..lol..maybe for the ipod maybe buy the cable like the one that econman suggested..
Old 01-14-2007, 12:44 PM
Instructor

thanks c_hunter. that certainly answers my question (& thanks for the pic). but i can't do that! i know the simple $5 cable doesn't work for me. but you gave me some new ideas. i may try what digits posted.
Old 01-14-2007, 01:41 PM
Intermediate

Here is my current setup:

Its a 6" high quality cable link with the Belkin TuneDok link
Again sorry for the crappy cameraphone shot.
Old 01-14-2007, 08:11 PM
Instructor

In the past, I bought 2-3 Belkin auto kits for our various cars. They have a 12V lighter plug and a line out which goes to the dock connector for the iPod. The Belkin happens to have a volume control on it to fine-tune the line level (with a small amp), but it's not needed in my experience (and as sasair noted, it probably adds noise).
I haven't had any issues with noise with the Belkin. The sound is actually better with it than just using the cable alone.
Old 01-15-2007, 06:39 PM

I found a very nice iPod dock cable that would be perfect for the RDX:

http://www.cablestogo.com/product.as...2002&sku=35508

It's $17.
Old 01-15-2007, 07:19 PM
Instructor

thanks c_hunter, i just placed an order for the same cable at onsale.com. got it for$7.99 but spent another $7.99 for shipping. Still, a good deal if it works better than the headphone connecting cable. i will let you know

http://www.onsale.com/shop/detail~dp...dio+Cable.aspx
Old 01-15-2007, 11:57 PM
Three Wheelin'

I liked that retractable one that you posted a while back craig....

http://www.radtech.us/Products/CablesiPod.aspx
Old 01-21-2007, 03:55 PM
Instructor

set myself up

just picked up a cheap ipod car charger for $5 on line...comes in black too! But went with the Radtech retractable cord with a dock @ one end for audio (counldn't find this in black for a rersonable price). So I purchased both. I don't want to give up on sound quality.
Old 01-21-2007, 04:04 PM
Three Wheelin'

Originally Posted by mickie
just picked up a cheap ipod car charger for $5 on line...comes in black too! But went with the Radtech retractable cord with a dock @ one end for audio (counldn't find this in black for a rersonable price). So I purchased both. I don't want to give up on sound quality.
You could get an ipod adapter like the Neo, USA Spec or Musiclink(yuck!). Then you'd have the highest quality sound, charging, and steering wheel control as well as headunit control for track forward and back. yes it costs alot more than some cables, but worth it IMO.
Old 01-21-2007, 04:49 PM
Instructor

Originally Posted by sasair
You could get an ipod adapter like the Neo, USA Spec or Musiclink(yuck!). Then you'd have the highest quality sound, charging, and steering wheel control as well as headunit control for track forward and back. yes it costs alot more than some cables, but worth it IMO.
I spent hours trying to figure this thing out. I didn't think they make an adaptor that could split charge and sound from the dock. I think you're talking about wiring it into the car? Don't want to screw with the wiring. Or is this wireless...sorry, I'm only a techno-wanna-be.
Old 01-21-2007, 11:48 PM
Three Wheelin'

They plug into the CD Changer port on the back of the head unit. So technically there is wiring involved, but it is a plug, so it's not like you need to cut any wires or splice any wires. you just plug it in and run the dock connector to wherever you want to.
Old 01-29-2007, 03:34 PM
Diggin' the RDX!

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
In case anyone's interested, I just rec'd the Monster iCarCharger -- it plugs into (and charges) your Pod via its dock connector, and it also has a mini-rca-out of that dock area for I guess the best sound possible outside of the Neo...got it for $31 shipped from http://www.erwincomp.com -- everyone else had it for around $40+ s/h. Plus it got to KS in 2 days from Jersey and I spec'd UPS Ground. Good vendor.

You still need to supply your own mini-rca cable with this gizmo.

Quick Reply: Cable for audio auxillary input?