replaced brake pads

Search this Thread

Old 06-09-2010, 02:24 PM
Burning Brakes

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
replaced brake pads

Just had my front/rear brake pads replaced by a local mechanic in my town here in Mass today. Just paid for labour, bought my parts from oemacuraparts.com. Checked around for labour costs and man, do they ever vary. One of them were asking for $300 for labour, while another which I eventually had it done at was $200.00. I know it is a "fairly" simple job, but I don't have the tools to do the replacement anyway. I did not request for resurfacing of the rotors.

The service included servicing the calipers and road testing the car.

After I picked up the car, the brakes feel nice and smooth, pedal travel seems a lot less than before the replacement.

To do a brake pad replacement at Acura dealer will probably cost about $400.00 parts + labour.
Old 06-11-2010, 12:15 PM
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by mav238
Just had my front/rear brake pads replaced by a local mechanic in my town here in Mass today. Just paid for labour, bought my parts from oemacuraparts.com. Checked around for labour costs and man, do they ever vary. One of them were asking for $300 for labour, while another which I eventually had it done at was $200.00. I know it is a "fairly" simple job, but I don't have the tools to do the replacement anyway. I did not request for resurfacing of the rotors.

The service included servicing the calipers and road testing the car.

After I picked up the car, the brakes feel nice and smooth, pedal travel seems a lot less than before the replacement.

To do a brake pad replacement at Acura dealer will probably cost about $400.00 parts + labour.
It's the third day after I replaced the brake pads, I have to say, it definitely feels like it is stopping more efficiently and smoothly.

Actually, I was incorrect to say that the brake pad replacement service at a dealer ~ $400 parts/labour. I realize it is actually closer to $500.00 parts/labour, both front/rear.
Old 06-11-2010, 04:59 PM
Suzuka Master

Received 708 Likes on 550 Posts
my dealer runs special which includes front rotors resurface and OEM pads replacement for $189.
btw, did they resurface your rotors or was there no need?
Old 06-11-2010, 05:09 PM
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by russianDude
my dealer runs special which includes front rotors resurface and OEM pads replacement for $189.
btw, did they resurface your rotors or was there no need?
No, the mechanic, a very experience fella from what I gathered from references, indicated that there is no need to resurface the rotors. Resurfacing the rotors is not such a great thing, you are better off replacing the rotors, even if you get OEM aftermarket solid ones for as low as $45.00 a piece.
Old 06-11-2010, 05:28 PM
Suzuka Master

No, the mechanic, a very experience fella from what I gathered from references, indicated that there is no need to resurface the rotors. Resurfacing the rotors is not such a great thing, you are better off replacing the rotors, even if you get OEM aftermarket solid ones for as low as $45.00 a piece.
yes, he has to examine the rotors for uneven wear, so looks like they were in good shape. I'd had rotors resurfaced (not on RDX), and its not a problem. Much cheaper than buying new rotors, I'd never buy cheap for RDX
Old 06-12-2010, 04:15 PM
Suzuka Master

just had my wife's RDX rotors resurfaced and front pads installed by Acura @ $189, can't beat that price, I actually could not believe it so was asking twice.
He said they had special or something.
And I spoke with their tech, he said its recommended to resurface to make sure there are no vibrations and new pads getting good break in with a clean surface. He also said that they resurface very little if the disks are not warped, so should not be an issue of losing thickness. I had mechanics who told me I don't have to resurface too, its really an opinion and sometimes laziness of mechanics to do it.

Last edited by russianDude; 06-12-2010 at 04:19 PM.
Old 06-12-2010, 10:24 PM
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by russianDude
just had my wife's RDX rotors resurfaced and front pads installed by Acura @ $189, can't beat that price, I actually could not believe it so was asking twice.
He said they had special or something.
And I spoke with their tech, he said its recommended to resurface to make sure there are no vibrations and new pads getting good break in with a clean surface. He also said that they resurface very little if the disks are not warped, so should not be an issue of losing thickness. I had mechanics who told me I don't have to resurface too, its really an opinion and sometimes laziness of mechanics to do it.
Unless your rotors are not wearing evenly, resurfacing is actually not recommended or necessary, if you check out resources on both the internet and also experienced reliable mechanics. I don't think it has anything to do with laziness. If the mechanic can make an extra $50.00, why wouldn't he? Especially when they have the special equipment that enables them to get the job done quickly. One can easily obtain a set of front/rear slotted rotors/pads for $250 on the internet, and have it installed for a total of $300.

Total: $500.00 front/rear rotors/pads installed. Bet the Acura service can't beat that price.
Old 06-12-2010, 11:32 PM
Suzuka Master

Unless your rotors are not wearing evenly, resurfacing is actually not recommended or necessary, if you check out resources on both the internet and also experienced reliable mechanics. I don't think it has anything to do with laziness. If the mechanic can make an extra $50.00, why wouldn't he? Especially when they have the special equipment that enables them to get the job done quickly. One can easily obtain a set of front/rear slotted rotors/pads for $250 on the internet, and have it installed for a total of $300.

Total: $500.00 front/rear rotors/pads installed. Bet the Acura service can't beat that price.
I got quoted $350 for new front rotors and pads, parts and labor included from acura. you should not pay more than $100-150 for labor, they do it in 20 minutes. All information I am reading on internet suggests resurfacing or replacing rotors when doing pads replacement. Eye inspection for uneven wear is not always 100% accurate, so to reduce any doubts a lot of experts recommend resurfacing. I actually used to feel slight vibration when braking, now its completely gone, so I would not be surprised that they were a little warped
Old 07-17-2010, 09:00 AM
8th Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
My current stock rotors/pads don't have to be replaced at least not until my next oil change. So i was wondering what is the expected price to get new rotors/pads (F/R) installed. Just for the labor? Because I've been asking around and my dealer told me $285 and another shop told me $255. I'm pretty sure it doesn't cost that much just to install the parts...
Old 07-17-2010, 09:03 AM
Suzuka Master

Originally Posted by kpxsanghun
My current stock rotors/pads don't have to be replaced at least not until my next oil change. So i was wondering what is the expected price to get new rotors/pads (F/R) installed. Just for the labor? Because I've been asking around and my dealer told me $285 and another shop told me $255. I'm pretty sure it doesn't cost that much just to install the parts...
2 years ago my mechanic installed my rotors and pads for $100 (I supplied pads and rotors).
Old 07-21-2010, 09:24 PM
IDontRideFastIJustFlyLow

Originally Posted by kpxsanghun
285 for front back pads and rotors resurfaced turned at honda dealer in atlanta. 500+tax at acura dealer same work. just got it done, brakes feel better now.
Old 07-24-2010, 09:20 AM
Advanced

Russian Dude

Who is your NJ Dealer? I am working in NJ and so might use them for brake pads.

Thanks
Old 07-24-2010, 10:46 AM
Suzuka Master

Originally Posted by portwashguy
Russian Dude

Who is your NJ Dealer? I am working in NJ and so might use them for brake pads.

Thanks
Elite Acura, Maple Shade, NJ. I go sometimes to them, but not always. It was a special $189+tax to resurface front rotors and install new pads.
Pads alone are $50-60. This is very close (if not the same) as you would pay at PepBoys or other crappy place, so definitely makes it a good deal.