RDX vs 2007 MDX

Search this Thread

Old 10-26-2006, 12:39 PM
Base RDX - Carbon Pearl

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Smile RDX vs 2007 MDX

I saw the new 2007 MDX commercial last nite. They are putting the super cushsioning suspension as the MDX's selling point vs RDX's SH-Handing as the selling point on its commercial.

But don't understand why they said at the end of the commercial that MDX drives like a sport sedan suspension while they put a "cushion" at the bottom of the car in the commercial. I thought a sport car is supposed to have stiff suspension.

Anyway, putting this thread up to see what RDX's fans say about our cars better than the new MDX (I would say they are both good SUVs )

Note:
1) Base models of both are about USD7,000/CAD10,000 difference in price.
Providing you don't need the extra space/seats from MDX, just wondering what are the features/technology from 2007 MDX beats RDX.
2) Both gets SH-AWD.
Old 10-26-2006, 01:02 PM
Suzuka Master

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
The new MDX has an active damper system. The suspension can be adjusted for comfort or handling.

MDX offers:
-Adaptive suspension(option)
-Automatic Tailgate(option)
-Rear entertainment system(option)
Base includes:
-3 zone climate control
-2 rows of heated seats
-3.7L V6
-Vehicle is larger overall
-Memory seats, mirrors, electronics, and steering wheel

I am probably leaving out a handful of what it has "over" the RDX, but thats the main stuff.

Mike
Old 10-26-2006, 01:13 PM
Base RDX - Carbon Pearl

Mdx

Originally Posted by crazymjb
The new MDX has an active damper system. The suspension can be adjusted for comfort or handling.
Would it be as nice and quite as or even better than the Lexus RX ?
Old 10-26-2006, 01:31 PM
Carbon Bronze RDX

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
It's odd, Lexus did something to the design of the RX to make it appear smaller than it is... I always saw it as more of the compact SUV. The previous gen MDX (and Pilot) looked much bigger than an RX. The new MDX is sleeker, and gives off less of the "I'm based on a Minivan platform" vibe.

New MDXs had just come into the dealer the day we bought our RDX. As noted above, the MDX has some additional features/luxuries (3 zone climate, heated rear seats). But I think it really comes down to space. Do you need it, and are you willing to pay for it. The added weight pretty much guarantees the MDX will feel less "nimble."
Old 10-26-2006, 01:46 PM
Advanced

i sat in the 2007 MDX...it is a much larger car than the RDX...everything is big, including the steering wheels, i think the RDX has a more simple, appealing interior...there are just tooooo many thing in the MDX cockpit. and i look into the 3rd..they are more like dog seats to me. plus, i dun like the exterior.

so afterall....i still LIKE MY RDX!
Old 10-26-2006, 01:47 PM
Base RDX - Carbon Pearl

Mdx

Originally Posted by Philbert
The added weight pretty much guarantees the MDX will feel less "nimble."
MDX has additional 13% of weight but also additional 60 HP in 2007 model (which 25% more). I guess that can compensate the extra weight.

But I totally agree to your point whether we need the extra space. Lots of Acura fans were waiting for the smaller version of MDX since the 1st gen MDX came out. And now we finally got it - RDX. I am happy with it From 2007 MDX, I am more interested in the active damper system as comfortability is always my priority (since I need to spend almost two hours a day on the road)

For those who have driven the Lexus RX and test drove the 2007 MDX, please let us know which one is more quite and comfortable.
Old 10-26-2006, 02:22 PM
Instructor

I currently have a 2001 MDX and have driven
both the RDX and new MDX.I feel they are both great
SUVs/CUVs.I am leaning towards getting the RDX(love
the turbo sound and paddle shifters),I will miss the extra
space my MDX provides though.
Old 10-26-2006, 02:38 PM
2007 RDX Silver/Base

Originally Posted by acurardx
MDX has additional 13% of weight but also additional 60 HP in 2007 model (which 25% more). I guess that can compensate the extra weight.

But I totally agree to your point whether we need the extra space. Lots of Acura fans were waiting for the smaller version of MDX since the 1st gen MDX came out. And now we finally got it - RDX. I am happy with it From 2007 MDX, I am more interested in the active damper system as comfortability is always my priority (since I need to spend almost two hours a day on the road)

For those who have driven the Lexus RX and test drove the 2007 MDX, please let us know which one is more quite and comfortable.
As a driver, I would like RDX (more sport car feel). As a passenger (2nd row especially), MDX is far more better.

BTW, acurardx, its in the showroom, go make an appointment for a test drive, you never know the truth until you try it and feel it.
Old 10-26-2006, 06:55 PM
Suzuka Master

Buckeye, I'm assuming thats not the only reason... I'd gladly ditch the paddle shifters for the MDX transmission and a V6...

The MDX is a nicer vehicle, it is also a more expensive vehicle. I think most here, weather they are willing to admit it or not, would have taken an 07X equally equipped IF the prices were equal.

Mike
Old 10-26-2006, 08:09 PM
Three Wheelin'

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
one thing I noticed about the MDX vs the RDX that I didn't like in the MDX was just from looking at the interior dash pictures, I didn't like how the jog wheel for the nav unit is so far down below the screen. I like having it right under the screen in the RDX.

and I don't like that drink holder cover in the MDX either. Yuck!
Old 12-07-2006, 10:54 PM
Sporty X type

Received 8 Likes on 4 Posts
Originally Posted by sasair
one thing I noticed about the MDX vs the RDX that I didn't like in the MDX was just from looking at the interior dash pictures, I didn't like how the jog wheel for the nav unit is so far down below the screen. I like having it right under the screen in the RDX.

and I don't like that drink holder cover in the MDX either. Yuck!
Agree sasair about that stupid looking drink cover thingie. Had one of those back in my '66 Pontiac GTO! I also didn't like on the MDX... the grille, & the LARGE plastic lower coverings front & back, the large quarter-panel "shaved-off" wheel well areas....I'm sure there's more...oh yea! Don't need all those rows / room! The RDX is perfect, IMHO!
Old 12-08-2006, 12:32 PM
You'll Never Walk Alone

Received 834 Likes on 518 Posts
The MDX was tuned in Nurburgring, so I think its handling should be pretty good?
Old 12-08-2006, 01:58 PM
Intermediate

MDX is too big for me, I still like my RDX better. I'm single, I don't need that extra space, plus, 95% of the time, I'm the only one in the car, so RDX is perfect for me. All of my friends who own MDX are married with kids, I'm not one of them, not yet.
Old 12-08-2006, 04:01 PM
Three Wheelin'

Originally Posted by hellokitty
MDX is too big for me, I still like my RDX better. I'm single, I don't need that extra space, plus, 95% of the time, I'm the only one in the car, so RDX is perfect for me. All of my friends who own MDX are married with kids, I'm not one of them, not yet.
Same with me, the RDX is the perfect size for me right now. When I have the wife and 2.3 kids I'll get an MDX. I was at the dealer today getting my RSX serviced and got a close up look at the MDX on the dealer floor. I see what you guys were saying abotu how it looks just like an RDX. Looks like they just stretched the dimensions a few inches in every way and they were done. Other than size, the only glaring difference from the outside was the front grill. well that and the price tag.... I don't like the inside very much, maybe just cause it's different than the RDX yet similar.
Old 12-08-2006, 07:06 PM
Intermediate

RDX back seats sufficient for kids

Originally Posted by sasair
Same with me, the RDX is the perfect size for me right now. When I have the wife and 2.3 kids I'll get an MDX. I was at the dealer today getting my RSX serviced and got a close up look at the MDX on the dealer floor. I see what you guys were saying abotu how it looks just like an RDX. Looks like they just stretched the dimensions a few inches in every way and they were done. Other than size, the only glaring difference from the outside was the front grill. well that and the price tag.... I don't like the inside very much, maybe just cause it's different than the RDX yet similar.
When I was at the car show I felt the same way on the similarity between RDX and MDX especially the tail end - MDX looks like a stretched out RDX.

I have a wife and two kids and the RDX is still a good fit for our family. The RDX trunk size is an issue when we go on a road trip and need to carry lots of stuff - we just use our other bigger SUV. I don't like to put stuff on the car roof.

Overall the RDX trunk is not an issue because it is sufficient 99% of the time for us. Most of our trips involved flying and renting a car at the airport anyway.
Old 12-08-2006, 07:43 PM
Suzuka Master

While from the pics I thought the MDX interior was more bland, getting inside I thought it felt a little nicer.

Looks aside the platform difference between the RDX and MDX is huge.

Mike
Old 12-08-2006, 08:27 PM
Instructor

BTW... the base MDX doesn't include heated second-row seats, as with the Tech and Sport pkgs. Heated rear seats are only included with the Entertainment pkg. I wish heated rear seats and the power-lift tailgate were features on the Tech pkg and up.

Anyway. The MDX feels much larger than the RDX. The RDX seemed a lot more peppy and sporty that the MDX, but that's expected.

Overall, they are both great SUVs.
Old 12-08-2006, 09:58 PM
rdxsteverino

The '07 MDX is a great machine, but I can't get over that front grill. Maybe it will grow on me over time.
Old 12-08-2006, 10:54 PM
Suzuka Master

I at first thought the grill was hideous... However, after seeing that thing with the HIDs lit up in Nimbus Grey it just looked straight out bad ass. Hopefully we will be sealing some sort of deal tomorrow so I can get some pics in a week or so. I am still trying to sell the sport package to my father(instead of tech).

I agree with the option packaging... I would happily have taken just the Suspension from the sport package, and the tailgate and rear heated seats from the entertainment package.

Mike
Old 12-15-2006, 09:30 AM
Racer

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
I rode in a 2007 MDX the other night with my Dad, who was test driving. We also went out in an RDX. The RDX suspension is way more sporty, which I liked a lot. The MDX was too soft, but like someone else said, they have an active damper and a button to hit to stiffen the suspension. We didn't notice that until after the test drive. Given the price difference between the two, about $8000, the MDX seemed like it was more than it. I considered it night and day. The inside of the MDX was absolutely beautiful. I was blown away by the driver console/gauges.

Joe
Old 12-15-2006, 03:24 PM
Suzuka Master

The ADS is in "sport mode" by default, however, it is constantly at work. So, the ride will be somewhat soft, but if you throw it into a corner all of a sudden it will stiffen up. In "Comfort mode" the system will allow more suspension travel before stiffening up. The difference is best seen on a crappy road. We have yet to purchase our MDX, but I am having trouble convincing my parents to get it with the sport package.

Mike
Old 12-15-2006, 04:46 PM
Three Wheelin'

Originally Posted by crazymjb
The ADS is in "sport mode" by default, however, it is constantly at work. So, the ride will be somewhat soft, but if you throw it into a corner all of a sudden it will stiffen up. In "Comfort mode" the system will allow more suspension travel before stiffening up. The difference is best seen on a crappy road. We have yet to purchase our MDX, but I am having trouble convincing my parents to get it with the sport package.

Mike
Definitely need the sport package on the new MDX. That is probably the best advancement in the MDX in this new 07 model.
Old 12-16-2006, 01:43 AM
Indian Acura Driver

Edit: Nevermind.
Old 12-16-2006, 04:10 PM
sca
Cruisin'

The RDX does not fall from the MDX family tree both are top of the line examples of luxury/performance/technolgy products. It will be interesting to see if turbo RDX gets the performance crowd to upgrade it. Maybe Acura will put the turbo into all the lines. That would be nice to have a turbo MDX!!!
Old 12-16-2006, 10:00 PM
Race Director

Originally Posted by rdxsteverino
The '07 MDX is a great machine, but I can't get over that front grill. Maybe it will grow on me over time.
Thats the excate same way I feel about the MDX. I think its such an amazing car as for the front its kind of like